Topic: SOURCE CODE QUESTION??  (Read 2129 times)

Offline TraumaTech

• DON'T PISS OFF THE KITTY
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt.
SOURCE CODE QUESTION??
« on: March 25, 2005, 05:18:30 pm »
every now and then i read  a thread about "the source code",and how it might bring life back to sfc.just how would the source code do this? what would we likely see as changed in this game that would bring peeps back and once again have an active lobby .

the reason i ask,is hopefully in the not to distant future,i hope to upgrade this comp,and as such,be able to play some of the more updated games.do i have a reason to hope,that this lobby would once again have a decent number of peeps on it,to make it worth staying and playing sfc,once i have updated???

Offline KHH-MiniMe

• Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Junior Grade
Re: SOURCE CODE QUESTION??
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 09:57:23 pm »
Have you upgraded your internet service from the tin can and wire setup you had?  :rofl:

Seriously though, I haven't read any of the source code threads.....but if the owners of this code...give it up.....doesn't that just confirm the games death? I'm not saying it won't make the game more fun once someone makes whatever "fixes" they feel needed.
  I just think that to once again to have an "active lobby" it would take some sort of marketing gimmick to attract players other than the hardcore that remains

Offline Capt_Bearslayer_XC

• "Sorry I haven't been around much lately. I'm easily distracted by shiney things."
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Captain
  • Virtute non verbis
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005, 06:29:42 am »
If the source code is released, it will allow the programers amongst us to continue fixing bugs and finish incompleted stuff (such as TR Beams).  Also, it will allow for including new elements that will make the game even more like SFB.
Political Correctness is really Political Censorship

A tax code should exist to procure the funds necessary for the operation of government, not to manipulate human or business behavior.

A nocens dies in loricatus est melior quam a bonus dies procul opus.

A bad peace is even worse than war."  --  Tacitus

"We thought we could resolve the system's problems by rationing services or injecting massive amounts of new money into it" -Claude Castonguay

Offline KHH-MiniMe

• Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2005, 06:47:15 am »
I never played SFB so I wouldn't know the dis/advantages to the changes. While I too would like to see an increased population in the lobby, I dont think the release of the code will increase numbers....I just think it will make the game more fun for the hardcore group.

I do need my tractors fixed though....people keep breaking my lock and I don't like it!!!  :cuss:

Offline bbarr97

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005, 07:07:02 am »
You are correct that it won't attract more people without solid advertisement.  I am not talking about ads and magazines or anything.  But lets say the graphics engine in SFC is improved (bumb mapping, specular highlights, improved space grapichs, animation,etc.)  If word is spread via multiple trek / strategy sites then I think a lot of old SFC players will come back and give it a shot again.  This would of course require a dedicated team which is alway sa challenge on hobby type modifications.  But it would be nice to see

Andromedans with TR's and PA's as shields
Neo-Tholians with true web casters (neo's rock!)
Jindarins (no my favorite but whatever)
We could even add more appropriate weapons for the Borg for example. 

bbarr97

I never played SFB so I wouldn't know the dis/advantages to the changes. While I too would like to see an increased population in the lobby, I dont think the release of the code will increase numbers....I just think it will make the game more fun for the hardcore group.

I do need my tractors fixed though....people keep breaking my lock and I don't like it!!!  :cuss: