Topic: Games crashing to desk top.  (Read 2765 times)

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
Games crashing to desk top.
« on: April 11, 2005, 12:47:25 pm »
  I am having problem with all my games crashing to desk top.I talked to somebody about this and they said it it was virus.I ran a complete virus scan useing AVG,Spybot S&D and Adware/Lavasoft and finally a trend micro scan.There was no viruses found I was reading on anther board to delete everything in the prefetch file in Windows first and turn off internet connection.

I did update video drivers and software as I thought that might have been the problem.I was wondering what of any of you would have any ideas on this problem?There is one more thing as I can relaunch my games from the task or start bar.Thanks

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
Re: Games crashing to desk top.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 01:57:43 pm »
first what power your game need to work?
two: do you get a error message when the game crash?
three: the virus story is old and its never that since your com never find any virus and there are no know virus that will cause all games and only games to crash.
four: old game would not be afected by drivers.
the problem might be a memory problem, there not many thing that might be the cause all games to crash to desktop, i don't see what might be the problem in your com.  :-\

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 04:31:14 pm »
Have you installed a program lately?  I'm wondering if there is a conflict somewhere.  Think about when this started happening and what changes you made to your system during that time period.  In the mean time try to post any and all error messages that appear when the games crashes.  Post your system specs and how old the machine is.  Don is right about one thing, this could be a hardware issue, I've seen both bad Ram and a bad hard drive cause these issues.  So in case you do have a hard drive going bad I would suggest also backing up all your files to someplace safe.  I'm going to stop here until I can see some more information.  Hope this helps.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 07:43:48 pm »
  This started right after I did a system restore as some of my power setting have been removed.When I did this my games started to crash so I so I asked system restore to undo my last restore and it came up with saying about Norton AV although I unistalled Norton AV my games still kept on crashing.This when this all started to happen.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 09:28:48 pm »
try to uninstall a game that no longer work and re install it and see if it fix the problem or not, sometime games crash for a change made on the com or something remove by accident and the games or windows need that to work the games.

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 04:02:50 pm »
  This started right after I did a system restore as some of my power setting have been removed.When I did this my games started to crash so I so I asked system restore to undo my last restore and it came up with saying about Norton AV although I unistalled Norton AV my games still kept on crashing.This when this all started to happen.

It sounds like the restore point you went back to has gone too far back.  Restore points were created to let people go back to a prior set up if a program/file became corrupted or if a program installed on to the system did some bad things.  Restore points usually are not recommended for going back to a point before two or more programs were installed unless these programs were installed at the exact same time.  In this case you might have gone to a point before your games were installed or the needed drivers/game patches were installed.  Since I can't look around on your system and I don't know what you have done in between these restore points, the only real safe thing I can suggest is that you reformat and reload your hard drive.  In the mean time reinstall Norton AV as the last thing you need right now is a virus on top of everything else.  Then start doing backups, including your saved games.  I know that this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but unless you can remember everything you installed in between those restore points it's the only safe thing to do.  Hope this helps.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 07:16:53 pm »
  Thanks, Javora but I had a someone check online and everything seems fine now there was bunch of spyware in my system he got rid of and did some system improvements on it.I will be formating my sytem in furture but won't install Norton as AVG is better IMHO it detected a trojon and Norton didn't. in shipedit.

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005, 06:41:27 am »
  Thanks, Javora but I had a someone check online and everything seems fine now there was bunch of spyware in my system he got rid of and did some system improvements on it.I will be formating my sytem in furture but won't install Norton as AVG is better IMHO it detected a trojon and Norton didn't. in shipedit.

I'm just glad to hear you have things figured out.  Also not supprised that Norton missed a Trojan as Norton has been going down hill for a while now.  I do wish that the other Antivirus programs were as good as Norton in removing Ads.