Topic: That was a GORN!??  (Read 8592 times)

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
Re: That was a GORN!??
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2005, 03:32:10 pm »
i would suggest you base it on the circumstances  which happens to be the reason why they aren't happy with the quality.  You seem to forget that time and quality are directly linked, the more time you have the better it will turn out.   as it was they didn't have 2 years to make it perfect, they had maybe a month, not including all the other scenes they were required to do, i tihnk they did a fairly good job. finally i would like to point out that making anything organic and realistic is extremly hard..  look at hl2, its grahpics are phenominal, they also have been working on it for 3-4 years.   if you could do better with a deadline which limited their time significantly then you have all the reasons to complain.   Its not like they had as much time as they needed to get it right like the cgi in most movies.  and as for a pencil and paper drawing, if they had all of 2 mins to do it then i would understand, if they had 2 weeks to do it then i would wonder about their time management. 
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2005, 08:11:10 pm »
You seem to forget that time and quality are directly linked

Again, what is wrong with calling it a bad CGI?  Why should I not call the quality of it into question?  Do they get a free pass because they didn't have time to finish it?

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2005, 08:29:05 pm »
no free pass if the the quaility does not match the time put in, but your previous statment already said that you have completly forgotten that quality in CGI requires time, unless of course you never realised that and figured it appeared from thin air.  for example, me being the novice modeler that i am modeled one ship in approx 2 days  an expert could produce the same quality as me probably could have it done in a few hourse so i wouldi figure a team would be much faster.  however when you are held to a deadline it is neccesary to choose which projects are higher on the list.  If you try to give them all equal time then you will most likely fail to achieve a good result.  Taking into consideration that both epsisodes were done at the same time and required the approximatly the same deadline you realize that their time was probably shorter than what was required the episodes.  End result is somthign that is as good as you can get in the alloted time.

My problem with you calling it bad CGI is that you are simply failing to take into account the amount time it actually takes to produce anything in CGI.  Considering that they had to build two humonoids from scratch, a connie with a crap load of battle scenes (setting up a scene takes alot of time... and i mean alot of time....), a tholian web, which btw may look simple but probably took many many man hours to figure out how to pull it off effectivly and on top of the fact that creating anything organic is excessivly hard, and making it realistic just adds to that and that this is a TV SHOW and not a movie  i would have to say that the CGI was rather good, maybe a little rubbery (better than the some guy in a rubber suit though)..  Now  personally i would say if you could actually do better, go ahead and gripe about it, point out the mistakes and how they could have/should have been fixed.   i for one won't cause that is currently way outside my skill set

Though personally to me it seems you enjoy bashing enterprise, the fx team, and just about anything else that might be related to this show so i think that my rather long explaination will probably fall on deaf ears.

Rob
« Last Edit: May 07, 2005, 08:51:55 pm by Tus »
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Villa64

• NCC-64E
  • Captain
  • Knuckle Dragger
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2005, 06:42:19 am »

<long, intellectually based analysis snipped>

Though personally to me it seems you enjoy bashing enterprise, the fx team, and just about anything else that might be related to this show so i think that my rather long explaination will probably fall on deaf ears.

Rob

The cadet has arrived at the accurate conclusion, now knows wisdom, and is a 'go' at this station.
Engaging the precious snowflakes of the world.

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2005, 11:30:32 am »
Though personally to me it seems you enjoy bashing enterprise,

That may be your opinion, but it is quite wrong.

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.

Offline Alidar Jarok

• Commander
  • He Took My Sammich
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2005, 01:07:07 pm »
In the past, Rat Boy has been fairly supportive of Enterprise.  He included Enterprise in his timeline and posted the production reports for many of the episodes this season.  I think I've been disagreeing with him more lately, but he hasn't blindly hated Enterprise.

BTW, this may be small, but I think I saw one thing that makes the Gorn seem so weird, its his neck.  The original Gorn had a fairly small neck, this Gorn's neck is long and flexible.  From the shoulders up, you just see a Raptor from Jurassic Park (especially when he's on the ground and Archer is pushing on his head).

http://www.scifiheaven.net/site/downloads.php

Click on Evil Archer enters the Arena.  The video never completes itself, but you can get some idea of what I'm talking about.  Waiting from above, and when he drops on Archer, he looks humanoid.  When Archer pushes on his head, he doesn't.
From Me to You - The Beatles

If there's anything that you want,
If there's anything i can do,
Just call on me and i'll send it along
With love from me to you.

Offline Chris Johnson

• I used to be a Captain a forum or two ago...
  • Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2005, 02:32:19 pm »
In the past, Rat Boy has been fairly supportive of Enterprise.  He included Enterprise in his timeline and posted the production reports for many of the episodes this season.  I think I've been disagreeing with him more lately, but he hasn't blindly hated Enterprise.

After rummaging around this forum, I can say I'd agree on the fact that Rat Boy isn't blindly hating Enterprise.  There are moments when Rat Boy even praises Enterprise here and there, although I do see the reasoning behind Tus's assumption considering things Rat Boy had been "critical" of lately.  So I stand by my assumption that one should see Enterprise for him or herself regardless of anyone's comments about episodes that have yet to air (or even that you haven't seen yet).

"Oh, shut up!" -- Wil Wheaton to Wesley Crusher

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2005, 05:56:46 pm »
Let me this time go beyond backing up your opinion- I actually liked it!

If you haven't seen it yet and are going to in about fifteen minutes to a couple of hours, then don't read this.

I thought this first parter was pretty good, and the Terra Prime guy made me think of Osborne from the Spiderman comics of the '60s... which is NOT a bad evocation, actually.  There was a bit of suspense and action, and I think the non-SFX part that made it for me was Archer putting the screws on the Minister.  Politicians are politicians, even in the proto-Federation!

SFX?  The entire Bond-like sequence of the bad guy's lair lifting off... AND THEN GOING INTO WARP was cool... and the homage to Star Wars' Death Star when he fired the ray from Mars to the Moon!  Future tech notwithstanding, how do they keep the power from attenuating on a ray from the Mars to the Moon to the point it can still raise a cloud of dust visible from space??  Nice.

Again, I just wish there were more seasons coming up.  It would be really great to see some of their adventures in the new FEDERATED Starfleet... war with Romulans, Klingons, police skirmishes with Orions...  alas.

Offline Greenvalv

• Trekkie at large.....
  • Lt.
  • Sfc3files Dept Site Admin
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2005, 06:29:16 pm »
The FEDERATED Starfleet isn't to take place until six years later (Or so says the summary for the last episode).

That gorn stunk big-time.  Yes, they have a limited budget, but come on, a little more real, Archer's wrestling had B-movie grade graphics.

Offline Chris Johnson

• I used to be a Captain a forum or two ago...
  • Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2005, 07:30:31 pm »
Well Green, just be lucky it's not a guy in a purple dinosaur costume.  Unless it would add more realism?

"Oh, shut up!" -- Wil Wheaton to Wesley Crusher

Offline Darth Sidious

• Lt.
  • One Winged Angel
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2005, 09:25:08 am »
You have summoned Barney.

Someone klill it.  PLEASE.  In the most painful way a Phaser can

;D

Well Green, just be lucky it's not a guy in a purple dinosaur costume.  Unless it would add more realism?

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2005, 01:05:10 am »
The CGI was bad.

The portrayal of the Gorn, overall, was good.  Very predatory, very intelligent.  Just what you'd expect from a race that shrugged off the best the NCC-1701 had to offer and then pretty much outran her.

I'm not that hung up on effects, hence I enjoyed the episode.  Take away the dodgy visuals and the Gorn was quite cool, and if you don't have the imagination to ignore dodgy visuals, there's a lot of old-school sci-fi you're never going to enjoy.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight