Topic: Necessary Force  (Read 5365 times)

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
Necessary Force
« on: April 21, 2005, 09:08:09 am »
To answer Grim's question from another thread, I've been fiddling with this and another story. :)  This one's been done for awhile, but it needed some mild revision toward the end.

I've also been playing Silent Hunter III as if it were heroin and I were a Park Avenue junkie, but that's another story.

Hope you enjoy this one! Anyone who can tell me where I got the ship name gets a karma point.  It's named for an RL ship that did something cool.

---------------------------

Necessary Force

The campsite was a mess.  Recreational paraphernalia was littered around in a chaotic fashion.  The sole tent had been ripped open and the supports abused in such a way that the whole thing had collapsed into a brightly colored heap. 

Lieutenant (Junior Grade) Leo Bates noted the details.  He also noted what he didn’t see.

“Where’s the food?”

The Chief Petty Officer standing next to him was a grey-haired Starfleet veteran wearing a field jacket over his red tunic.  The older man’s eyes narrowed.

“Gone. “ The security man said.  “Guess that confirms it.”

Bates looked around.  There was no evidence of intruding animals.  No evidence that the campers had just up and left of their own volition.   He was willing to bet that if he looked harder, other bits and pieces of equipment had been taken.  There was enough here to outfit three people for an enjoyable hike.  There’d have been plenty to spare.

“It was him.” 

“Yes, sir.” The Chief responded.  “Orders?”

The Lieutenant stayed quiet for a moment.  He wasn’t truly qualified for a manhunt in the wilderness.  His uniform tunic was the slate blue of the science division and the phaser on his hip was an uncomfortable weight.  He wondered why the Captain had assigned him to one of the search details.

“Survey the immediate vicinity.” He ordered, trying to view the situation as if it were a math problem. “Try to find out which direction he went, and if he took these people with him.”

“Aye, sir.”  The Chief—his name was Hauser—broke away from Bates, began directing the posse of Tellarites around them.  There were few police on Makin VI, and the Krassin had only so much crew to go around.  Hence, Starfleet officers were leading civilian search teams, trying to maximize effectiveness.

Bates watched the Tellarites fan out into the woods, and realized he had something he should be doing as well.  He pulled out his communicator, flipped it open.

“Bates to Krassin.

“Krassin here.”  The comm officer’s voice crackled out from the communicator.  She was coordinating search efforts from orbit.  “Report.

“We’ve found evidence that leads us to believe the fugitive is in our area.  There’s a campsite here, looks like it’s been looted and there’s no sign of the inhabitants.”  He hesitated a moment.  He had a hunch.  Hunches were not rational, and he tried to ignore them, but something was keeping him from doing that in this case.  “Be advised that subject may have hostages.”

Acknowledged, Lieutenant. Are you aware your search zone is in a wildlife seclusion?

“Affirmative. “ Makin IV had large tracts of undeveloped land.  The colonial government was quite choosy about who it let explore the wild.  “Request information on any civilians known to be in this area.”

There was a long pause.

Three university students from offworld were granted permission to conduct research in your area, Lieutenant.”  She listed the names.  “Continue search operations at your discretion.  Krassin, out.”

He shut down the communicator, put it back on his belt.  The comm officer would be relaying his hunch to the Captain.   If the Krassin’s CO believed the report, Bates would likely be relieved in a matter of moments. 

Moments passed, and his communicator didn’t make a sound.  Tellarites were filtering back into the camp area.  Hauser was talking to them.  After a few moments, the Chief came over.

“Looks like whoever was here headed northeast.  Gets hillier up that way, be a good place to hole up for awhile.” The security officer had a light Missouri accent. “There’s four of them, probably two women and two males.  Three of them were wearing hiking boots, the other one wasn’t.”

Bates nodded.  He glanced at the Tellarites.  One was an off-duty constable, another a retired marine, at least according to what they’d told him.  The rest were lifetime civilians, except for one forest ranger who Bates had decided to keep close.

“You two.”  He indicated the two more martial Tellarites.  “Stay here, it’s possible he’ll double back or come back from more supplies.  He may have hostages, securing them is the priority.”

The two snouted aliens gave assent.  Bates looked to the rest of his party.

“Let’s go.”

The search party formed up and moved off into the woods.  Hauser was giving Bates an approving glance, but the young Lieutenant did not notice.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Grim Reaper

• The 4th Horseman, the Lord of Death
  • Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
Re: Necessary Force
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 01:00:10 pm »
Krasin link 1
Krasin link 2

It's actually very easy to find the Soviet Icebreaker. Perhaps I'm misled into thinking the obvious?

However, this tales lacks several things....

I know, it lacks Klingons! And violence, and and and... well Klingonesque things :D ;)

Seriously though, I need more before I can really comment. So GIMME.
Snickers@DND: If there is one straight answer in that bent little head of yours, you'd better start spillin' it pretty damn quick, or I'm gonna take a large, blunt object, roughly the size of Kallae AND his hat and shove it lengthwise up a crevice of your being so seldomly cleaned that even the denizens of the nine hells would not touch it with a 10-feet rusty pole

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 01:12:13 pm »
Yeah, you get the karma point, Grim.  I decided to sneak that name into a story after I read the account of her rescue of the Norge's crew...everyone else had given up on the crash survivors, but the Soviet crew bulldozed their way through the ice until they got there even after all over potential rescues had been cancelled.

Her varied history and tendency for dramatic rescues seemed appropriate for a Federation starship. :)

I'll post another part tonight or tomorrow.  This one is short and sweet, I was proud of myself for making an actually short story.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."

Offline KOTH-KieranXC, Ret.

• Spokesman, Punisher Industries
  • Lt. Commander
  • K-Fo, diehard SFCer and Taldrenite, est. 2000
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 10:37:40 pm »
For some reason I can't quite get my mind to wrap itself around this one just yet. Maybe it's just because I'm tired, I don't know. But I'll have to see more so I can make a better judgement.

Nice use of the Soviet ship's name though.
"One minute to space doors."

"Are you just going to walk through them?"

"Calm yourself, Doctor."

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 11:14:32 pm »
This one really doesn't have chapters, hence the lack of a header.

Enjoy!

-----------------------

The forest thinned after a while, the trees becoming shorter and farther from each other.  The ground had transformed into an uphill grade, and there were more rocks.  Bates studied the changes with some actual interest; he was a geologist, and he could easily analyze what such changes meant. 

He also noted that the sun was going down.  The sky had assumed a dramatic orange hue that was quite striking, but signaled the onset of night and a much lower chance of finding their quarry.  He checked his tricorder again.  There were no unusual readings and no sign of the fugitive.

The Krassin had yet to contact him again.  He wondered if his report had even been noted.  Perhaps another team had found a better trail, clearer evidence of the Menalvagorian’s presence. 

Somehow Bates didn’t think so.

“Tellarite’s don’t seem like they’ll give up any time soon, sir.”  Hauser noted, quietly.  The Chief was staying close to his officer.

Bates nodded to him.  He’d been wondering about their ally’s willingness to press on after sunset.  He didn’t know how Hauser knew that, but Chief Petty Officers had their ways.

“Need to find him soon, Chief.”  Bates whispered.

“Yes, sir.”  Hauser’s eyes didn’t stop scanning their surroundings, even when he spoke.  “I reckon the hostages will be fine for now, Lieutenant.  He wouldn’t have taken ‘em with him if he hadn’t wanted some leverage.”

“Probably right, Chief.”  Bates said.  He didn’t know if he truly agreed.  The man they were chasing had already killed several people…some of them his own compatriots.  They walked on.  The trees became even thinner.  Ahead the terrain rose, transitioning into a sharp, rocky incline.

Hauser stopped suddenly.  Bates followed suit, and he regarded the security man.  The Chief’s eyes were locked on the expanse of rock they’d been heading toward.  Bates looked up there himself and saw nothing, though he noticed that objects that distant were a bit out of focus.  The doctor was probably right about his eyes.

“Thought I saw something move up there, sir.”  Hauser reported, quietly.

“How sure are you?”

There were wheel’s moving behind the Chief’s eyes.

“I’m sure.  ‘bout halfway up or so.”

Bates looked around.  The Tellarites, spread out as they were, had stopped still and were glancing towards him.  He moved down into a crouch, and his search team followed suit.  Beside him, Hauser had his phaser out.  The Lieutenant took a tentative step.

The group crept forward, making little noise.  Bates’ eyes were fixed on the hill, though with the increasing gloom he wondered if he could see anything that was up there.

He blinked suddenly, and didn’t immediately realize why.  A streak of red lingered in his vision even with his eyes closed.  He understood what had happened just as the sound of the weapon discharge reached him.

“Get down!”  He yelled, and half-leapt, half-fell toward the nearest cover.  Somewhere in the back of his mind he identified the type of tree he was hunkering behind, but he discarded the incidental knowledge as weapon's fire lit up the forest.  Quick pulses flew up the hill as the Tellarite’s opened up, more crimson beams flashing down from the rocks to answer them.  His phaser was in his hand, though he couldn’t remember drawing it.

“Cease fire!”  He yelled at the top of his voice but only the nearest team members obeyed.  He yelled three more times before the Tellarite’s guns fell silent.  A few more desultory shots flew down from the hill, then their attacker's weapon fell silent as well.  “Report injuries!”

He glanced around, taking mental inventory of his team.  No one he could see betrayed wounds.   All were behind trees, rocks, or similar cover.  The Tellarites were yelling among themselves.

“We’re fine, Starfleet!”  The forest ranger exclaimed.  She was the nearest to Bates, protected by something quite like a red oak. “We’re fine.”

The Lieutenant nodded to her and looked for his security man.  Hauser had set up behind a substantial chunk of stone, and was keeping his phaser trained on the hillside. 

“Chief?”  He asked.

“Can’t see him now, sir.  Think he’s under cover.”

Bates nodded.  He pawed at his tricorder, trying to get the thing open while keeping a grip on his phaser.  He realized his folly after a moment, and holstered his weapon.  The tricorder sang it’s familiar song.  There were life signs up that hill, of indeterminate type and location, but more than would be produced by a single person.  The Lieutenant frowned.  He had not wanted his hunch to be correct.

He shut off the tricorder, plucked his communicator off his belt.

“Bates to Krassin…”

“How ya’ doin’ down there Starfleet?”  A voice echoed from up the hill.  Bates peeked from behind his tree, but could not see who was speaking.  His communicator came alive.

“Krassin here.  Report, Lieutenant.”  The commo officer sounded slightly bored.  Bates barely noticed.

“My team has taken fire, no injuries sustained.”  He informed.  “Fugitive is in a defensible location bearing zero zero six from my position.”

Affirmative!”  The commo officer didn’t sound bored now.  “Maintain position.  Will inform the Captain and dispatch re---

“You better answer me Starfleet!”  The voice from the hill demanded.  “These kids with me would probably like it!”

Bates froze for a single moment.  He made his decision.

“Stand by, Krassin.”  He glanced up the hill.  “I’m answering!  What do you want?”

“Well that’s the question of the day, ain’t it Starfleet!”  The fugitive replied.  Off to Bates right, Hauser was eyeing the rocky hillside, trying to find a target.  “I think I want off this mudball with a decent head start.  Can you fix that?”

Somehow, Bates didn’t think his Captain would honor any concessions made by a geologist.  His negotiation platform was poor.

“You’ll have to let me talk to my ship!”  He yelled.

“You do that, Starfleet!  Might wanna tell them that if I hear a transporter, I feel a beam lock on me, they lose their kids!  It don’t take anything to pull a trigger!”

“I hear you!”  Bates gnashed his teeth.  He wasn’t the type to growl, or snarl, but had he been, this would’ve been the ideal moment.  He turned his attention back to the communicator.

“Bates to Krassin.  Subject has made verbal contact, claims he will kill his hostages if reinforcements are beamed in, or if you attempt to transport him away.”  He didn’t realize how breathless he sounded.  “He’s trying to negotiate with me.”

Lieutenant, this is Commander Sambrano.”  Bates let out a breath at the sound of his Captain’s voice.  “How likely is he to carry out his threat?

The Lieutenant’s eyes widened in confusion.  How was he supposed to know that?  He glanced up the hill.  His instincts were whispering to them again; he didn’t have time to feel uncomfortable about it.

“I believe him, sir.  I think he’ll do it.”

This makes getting help to you problematic.  Krassin will advise, but you are the officer on the scene; use your own discretion.  Understood?

Bates stared at his communicator in disbelief.  Only some instinctive discipline kept him from reminding Sambrano that he was a geologist.

“Understood.”  He answered.

We’re monitoring, Lieutenant.  You are not alone.  Sambrano out.

Bates shut the communicator.  He knew the expression on his face was confused.  He hoped it was too dark for the Tellarites to see him.

Despite his captain's words, he knew that he had little or no authority to deal with the fugitive.  Could he effectively lie?  Could he promise the gunman things that he couldn't deliver and make it convincing?  Bates doubted it.  He had no illusions about what would happen if the Menalvagorian thought he was lying.

Yet, he had to do something.

"We need to know the hostages are safe!"  He shouted up the hill.  "I can't deal until I see them alive!"

There was a cry from up the hill.  A woman.  A couple of the Tellarite's flinched, and even in the gloom Bates saw Hauser's eyes narrow.

"You hear her, Starfleet?"  The voice rolled down the hill.  "She sounds alive, don't she?"

"Not good enough!"  The Lieutenant replied.  "I want a visual!  You want some kind of deal, we can work it out, but without that, you have nothing to bargain with."

Hauser nodded approvingly.  Bates did not notice.

"Sure, Starfleet!  I ain't sticking my head out for you to shoot it, and I ain't letting my buddies out where they can run off with you covering 'em.  You wanna see 'em, bring your ass up here!"

Bates worried his bottom lip.

"I'll come up then!"

The Tellarites looked at him with disbelief.  Hauser's mouth quirked.  The man up the hill was silent.

"I come up, you send them down!"  Bates added.  "You'll have a Starfleet officer for a hostage."

"I don't know about that, Starfleet.  But you wanna see them, you come up here...that's fine.  And it better be you.  You send that hard ass in the red shirt up, I'll kill him and one of your kids"

"Understood."  Bates responded.  He suddenly realized that the Tellarites were looking at him incredulously.  Hauser kept his eyes on the hillside. Bates called the Chief over, and the older man carefully crept over to his Lieutenant.

"Chief. I'm doing what he says.  If he shoots me going up the hill, take him out, all right?"  Bates had never at any point imagined himself using the phrase 'take him out'.  He didn't have time to reflect on his choice of words.

"Yes, sir." Hauser answered quietly.  "I'd hide your weapon, Lieutenant."

Bates nodded, plucked his phaser from his belt.

"Let me, sir."  Hauser requested.  The old Chief took the weapon.  He gazed at it a moment, then twisted the barrel, setting the weapon to lethal intensity.

"Chief..." Bates began.  Hauser shook his head.

"I know it's not what they tell you to do, Lieutenant. But he's wearing body armor...remember the briefing?  Stun won't stop him unless you hit him in the face."  Hauser's voice was grave. "You have to shoot, it'll be from a draw."

Bates' mouth opened, but he didn't reply.  He had qualified with phasers as all officers were required, but he was not a marksman.  He might be able to whip out his pistol and place a stunning bolt into the Menalvagorian's head, but he doubted it, and what would happen if he missed?

Bates felt sick, but he nodded.  Hauser stuffed the weapon into the waistband of Bates' trousers, behind the Lieutenant's right hip where it would be neatly concealed by the officer's field jacket.

"Try and get at it, sir."  Hauser instructed.  Bates complied, pulling the weapon, experimentally.  It was an awkward movement.  He replaced the weapon, tried again.  Better, but still clumsy.

Hauser nodded.

"We'll cover you, sir."

Bates swallowed and gave the Chief a nervous smile.  He glanced up the hill.

"I'm coming up!"

Offline Grim Reaper

• Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2005, 02:33:25 am »
You know, Bates might not be a Klingon but he has some of their most appealing traits.
Snickers@DND: If there is one straight answer in that bent little head of yours, you'd better start spillin' it pretty damn quick, or I'm gonna take a large, blunt object, roughly the size of Kallae AND his hat and shove it lengthwise up a crevice of your being so seldomly cleaned that even the denizens of the nine hells would not touch it with a 10-feet rusty pole

Offline KOTH-KieranXC, Ret.

• Spokesman, Punisher Industries
  • Lt. Commander
  • K-Fo, diehard SFCer and Taldrenite, est. 2000
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2005, 09:19:22 am »
For a blue shirt, he's not bad. ;D
"One minute to space doors."

"Are you just going to walk through them?"

"Calm yourself, Doctor."

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2005, 10:52:15 am »
Last little bit.  Hope you enjoy it.:)

-----------------------

Bates walked forward, his hands up.  The hill wasn’t really high, but his perceptions made each step stretch in length.  He knew, logically, that perceptions were affected by emotions, but he’d never spent much time thinking about it.  He’d have to discuss the phenomenon with the ship’s doctor.

The ground grew steeper, turning slowly from grass to bare dirt and rock.  The hill wasn’t really a hill, Bates realized; probably what was left of an exposed batholith that’d been eroded over the centuries.  About halfway up the giant block of granite was the criminal and his hostages.  Bates was frightened of the man, though to his surprise he was more worried for the captives.  Captain Sambrano had made the search team leaders watch the tape of the attempted hijacking.  The three Menalvagorians had been fast, efficient, and brutal.  A young clerk had sounded the alarm.  The act had led to her unpleasant death.  It had also led to the chase, the death of three Makin IV militiamen and the wounding of two of the three hijackers.  When the wounded suggested surrender, the third man, the healthy man, had executed them.

Bates doubted a creature like that would have any mercy toward his captives, and he wondered why he was willingly walking up a hill to meet the fellow.

The ground was becoming quite treacherous.  The Lieutenant abandoned his efforts to keep his hands up and pulled himself over the rough spots.  The sun had almost set, and he had trouble picking out the best places to climb. He managed not to stumble.

Halfway up the hill he found a wide ledge.  It ran diagonally up the face of the hill.  He was near where the weapon’s fire had come from, he realized.  He began walking up the ledge.

He caught a hint of motion ahead.  He stopped.

“I’m here.”  He said.

“Keep on coming, Starfleet.”  A voice answered.  Bates eyes looked for its source; he found the man, or rather his head and one shoulder.  The fugitive was mostly concealed behind a small outcropping.  His weapon was aimed at Bates.

The Lieutenant nodded and stepped forward.  He’d raised his hands again.

The Menalvagorian edged away from the rock face, careful not to stray too far out on the ledge.  He stepped backwards, his pulser carefully aimed.  Bates followed.  Just up the ledge, there was a vertical depression in the cliff face.  The fugitive stepped toward it.

Bates stopped walking.  The Menalvagorian, physically identical to a human, sneered. Behind him, at the rear of the cave, were the hostages.  They were quite still.

"All right."  The fugitive growled.  He wasn't a particularly big man, but his eyes were cold. He still wore his body armor, which was scuffed up and as abused as the man wearing it.  "You wanted to see 'em, you've seen 'em.  Take out that communicator and tell your Captain."

The Lieutenant glanced at the prisoners.

"Put a light on them.  Want to see that they're okay."

"Oh f*ck you, Starfleet."  The criminal snarled.

Bates shrugged.  He kept his hands up and his communicator stayed on his belt.

The Menalvagorian chuckled.

"All right.  Guess that's fair enough."  He plucked a flashlight off his belt, directed it towards the hostages.  Two women, one man.  One of the females was an Andorian.  All three were bruised and abraded, their clothes askew.  They squinted under the flashlight's scrutiny, but there was still fear in their eyes.  "Satisfied."

The Lieutenant nodded.

"I'm reaching for my comm."  He said, slowly lowering one hand to his belt.  The fugitive had kept his pulser on Bates while illuminating his captives; he certainly didn't divert his aim now.  Bates found the device, flipped it open.

"Bates to Krassin."  He spoke into it.

"Krassin here."  The voice was Sambrano's.  "Status of the hostages?"

"Alive."  Bates responded.

"I want a warpshuttle."  The fugitive demanded.  "And twenty-four hours."

"He wants a warpshuttle and a day’s head-start, sir."  Bates relayed.

"Inform him that it'll take time to..." The Captain began.

"Uh-uh! None of that bullsh*t."  The criminal muttered.  "He gives me what I want now."

The Menalvagorian swung his weapon toward a hostage.  The human girl's eyes went wide as she stared down the barrel; the fugitive kept his eyes on Bates.

"Now."  The killer emphasized.

"His weapon is trained on one of the hostages, Commander."  Bates reported.  "I believe he'll shoot."

"Damn right I'll shoot." The man growled.

"All right, Lieutenant.  He gets what he wants.  Tell him that."

Bates nodded.  "He says you have your shuttlecraft."

The gunman sneered.  "Thought he might.  There's a nice flat spot farther up the rise.  It can land there.  I'm taking all of you up there with me."

Bates relayed the message.  His mouth had gone dry.  He knew Sambrano was not going to give the Menalvagorian his head start.  If the shuttle came down, it'd conceal a ruse of some kind.  He kept his eyes glued to the gunman.  The fugitive knew his situation was hopeless as well as Bates did.  Why was he playing along?

A cold tingle passed down the Lieutenant's spine.  The gunman was gambling, he realized.  Sambrano would try something, but could the Commander or the men he sent stomach the death of a hostage?  The man would shoot; Bates knew that instinctively.  He'd shoot the human girl first.  She was the smallest, the least threatening.  Starfleet officers often had great resolve, but could young Security men stomach the girl's death?  Bates knew he wouldn't be able to.  Her death would cow him into submission.  The Menalvagorian would take his remaining hostages and load them into the shuttle.  It wouldn't be fully fueled, of course; Sambrano would have safeguards in place.  They'd probably catch him minutes after lift-off.  He'd have plenty of time to kill the other hostages. He'd gain a small, spiteful victory.

The fugitive hadn't reasoned all that out, the Lieutenant decided.  He was betting that Sambrano would take no risks with the hostage’s lives.  He didn't know the Commander.  Bates did.

"I understand." He said to the gunman, who chuckled.  The fugitive took a step back, crouched down to take the male hostage by the arm.  The boy tried to twist away, but the Menalvagorian growled, sunk his fingers into his captive's arm and pulled him to his feet.  For a half-second the gunman's weapon was not on Bates or one of his hostages, and his attention was fully on the boy.

Bates dropped his communicator, reached behind his back, and awkwardly drew his phaser.  The gunman noticed, tried to bring his weapon around.  Bates weapon was trained on him already.  The gunman froze.

The two men stared at each other.  To Bates it felt like a very long time.

There was a hint of motion.  Bates pulled the trigger.

The azure flash lit up the cave.  Bates heard a scream--the human girl, he thought--and blinked rapidly.  The weapon discharge had blinded him.  It took a moment for his eyes to readjust.  There was no one standing in the cave. The human girl was yelling and twisting as her fellow captives implored her to calm down.  The Menalvagorian lay next to his prisoners with an ugly hole burned into his abdomen.  He did not move.

Carefully, Bates moved toward him.  The gunman's eyes were glassy and stared unflinchingly at the roof of the cave.  The Lieutenant checked for a pulse, or breath.  There was none.

He took the fugitive's weapons, then turned to the hostages.  The human girl was hysterical, and threw her arms around him the second she was untied.  It took the better part of a minute to free himself, after which the girl crept into the corner of the cave and sat down sobbing.  The man was jittery, but when released he merely walked to his crying friend and attempted to comfort her.  The Andorian did the same, but not before a thankful nod to Bates.

His communicator was chirping wildly, and had been for a while.  He hadn't really noticed.

"Bates here."  He spoke into the device. His voice was raw, but he didn't realize it.  "Hostages are secure."

"Acknowledged, Lieutenant.  Report status of fugitive."

"He's dead, sir."

The communicator was silent for a moment.

"Understood."  came the response.  "Hauser and a medical team are en route."

Bates put the communicator away.  He realized he still held his weapon.  He holstered it.  It wasn't long till he heard footsteps; Hauser and three blue-shirted medics trotted into the cave.  He gave his report automatically.  As the medics tended the hostages, Bates drifted out of the cave.

The Lieutenant stood quietly.  Hauser walked up next to him.

"You all right, Lieutenant?"

Bates considered.

"I don't know."  He responded.  He glanced back into the cave.  The medics had already covered his victim's corpse.  He tried to dredge up a violent emotion; rage, despair, or regret would've worked equally well.  He found nothing, and that made his insides freeze.

"Like this for everyone, Chief?"  He asked.

Hauser shrugged.  "Different for different people, I'd guess."

"Chief..." The Lieutenant spoke quietly.  "...not sure he was trying to shoot."

"Did what you thought was best, Lieutenant."  Said Hauser. "Those kids are alive."

Bates could hear the Andorian girl comforting her friends.  The man was softly and repeatedly saying he wanted to go home.

"They are." He agreed, softly.

End

Offline Grim Reaper

• Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2005, 11:59:47 am »
It's a great short La'ra. And not the standard ending of the Hero feeling good and being celebrated as the hollywood productions want us to believe happens. I expected as much from you.

Offline Scottish Andy

• First Officer of the Good Ship Kusanagi
  • Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2005, 09:34:48 pm »
I like this. Does Jaeih? Haven't heard much from her recently, but Bates is--nominally--her character, no?
Come visit me at:  www.Starbase23.net

The Senior Service rocks! Rule, Britannia!

The Doctor: "Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink."
Mickey: "Wot's that?"
The Doctor: "No idea. Just made it up. Didn't want to say 'Magic Door'."
- Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2005, 09:49:31 pm »
If I had to classify Bates, I'd say he was a sort of co-creation.  Jaieh came up with the name, I fleshed him out in Migration, and she continued to riff on the chord in 'First Steps'.

She liked this one, last time I checked.  Catching a greased pig is easier than catching her online. ;D

Offline Lara

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2005, 02:38:53 pm »
I like it, but as always, you knew that.

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2005, 11:03:53 pm »
Bout time you posted this one.

I still would'a phasered the whole damn area, but Cap'n Ford works a bit differently...
'It's a lot of hard work being a mean bastard...' --Captain Eric Finlander, CO USS Bedford (The Bedford Incident)

'Jaken...are you pretending to be dead?' --Lord Sesshomaru, Inuyasha.

Offline kadh2000

• Admiral, of course
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Kadh's Empire
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2005, 01:02:00 am »
This story, especially the ending, gives me an idea... :police:
"The Andromedans," Kadh said, "will never stop coming.  Not until they are all destroyed or we are."

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2009, 12:50:30 am »
Bump again.