Topic: Starry Night  (Read 4244 times)

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
Starry Night
« on: April 21, 2005, 01:20:40 pm »
This is a little short I wrote a while back.  Lara often complains that I often mention celebrations, downtime, and parties, but never actually have them in a scene...so I decided to do a quick vignette about the hunting trip La'ra mentioned in the last part of Strange Harvest.  Captain Krenn had also told me about an optional SFB rule regarding ph-2's, and this little tidbit was spawned...

This takes place very close after the end of 'Strange Harvest'.

---------------------

Starry Night

Millions of stars littered the night sky.  Commander La’ra studied them happily.

He lay on a defensible hillside, amongst the sleeping forms of his command crew.  A large creature, brought down by Leral’s well-aimed crossbow, roasted in the firepit.  There was little noise, save for Grimbek’s deep snores and the whistle of a light breeze.

“I have an idea.”  Someone said.  La’ra grumbled.

“I thought you were sleeping.”

“I cannot.”  L’dar rumbled quietly.  “I keep thinking about the aft phasers, they trouble me.”

“Are we not supposed to be on liberty?”  La’ra asked.  His brother preferred more raucous entertainment, and the idea that La’ra might be enjoying the stillness and the stars would not occur to the big engineer.

“They’re just as powerful as the forward battery, you know.”  L’dar said, ignoring the question.

“I know.”  La’ra sighed. 

“Yet in battle they never have the same kind of impact.”

“It’s the targeting system.”  La’ra mentioned, dryly.  He’d heard this complaint many times before.  He didn’t know why he was listening now, didn’t know why he bothered to respond.  He tried to concentrate on the stars.

“Yes.  Were it as precise as the main battery’s, they could attain direct hits more often.  Fewer glancing blows, fewer strikes to useless areas…”

“The aft sensors cannot achieve that kind of precision.”  La’ra reminded.  The stars were not helping.  He cast his gaze around the campsite.  Leral lay nearby, sleeping, and barely clothed under her rough blanket.  Her chest rose and fell with each slow breath.  La’ra felt his loins stir.

“Yes, but again, it’s not a problem with the equipment.  It’s the...programming.  I discussed this with the Leth’ka’s engineer.  He believe that we could improve the sensor protocols…sharpen the targeting.”

“So do so.”  La’ra said.  Leral stirred in her bedroll, rolling onto her side and giving her Commander a view of her bare, well-muscled back.  The Commander was used to hiding his reactions to his science officer.  Only his brother was watching now, and he indulged in a giant, lusty, grin.

“You are not paying attention.”  L’dar accused.

La’ra sighed. 

“Not really.  No.”

“Making your ship more effective in battle does not interest you?”

“It interests me.  Just not at this particular moment.”

“You have always been undisciplined.”

“And you think of nothing but starships” La’ra growled.  “How long has it been since we’ve slept in the wild?”

“Sleeping is sleeping.”

“You see no difference between sleeping under the stars with a cool wind blowing and the scent of a fresh kill roasting in the fire and sleeping inside of a pressurized metal box?”

“Not really.”  L’dar admitted.

“I may be undisciplined but you lack imagination.”

“I’m imagining better phasers.”  L’dar chuckled.

La’ra cursed quietly.

“Very well.”  His brother sounded disappointed.  “Enjoy your sleep.”

“Thank you.”  The Commander settled back down into his blankets.  He glanced at Leral again.  She’d moved, resting on her back with one arm crossed over her stomach.  Overhead the stars glittered.

“I suppose you don’t want to hear about the engines.”  L’dar asked.

La’ra seethed.

“No, I do not.”

“I was simply thinking of when we took the Sulakai…running the warp drive so hard exposed weaknesses that I could bolster with the right supplies…we would be faster, sustain higher speeds for longer periods.”

La’ra’s eyes shifted around.  More speed was always good.

He shook his head.  Tonight was not the night for such things, nor was tomorrow or the rest of his liberty.

“I wish to enjoy being outside, brother.”

L’dar nodded.  “I…apologize.”

The big engineer closed his eyes and fell silent.

La’ra exhaled.  Tomorrow would be a good day.  He was anxious to try his newest weapon, a crossbow identical to Leral’s.  The previous day’s hunt had been a group effort; his crew had harried the beast until an opportunity arose. When one had, his science officer had taken advantage. Tomorrow he would go off on his own.  He wasn’t the most skilled hunter in the Empire, but he could enjoy the chase, though perhaps not as much as simple solitude.

Insects sang in the grass.  Grimbek continued to snore.

“How much faster?”  He asked.

L’dar opened his eyes and grinned.

End
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline S'Tasik

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: Starry Night
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 06:13:44 pm »
I like this, and not just because the title reminds me of one of my favorite paintings.  As a Feddie writer through and through, parties for me generally consist of champagne, martinis, a couple of nice hors d'oeuvres, and the interior of a sterilized starship meeting room.  I'm glad the Klingons aren't nearly so boring, what with hunting and camping and all, though part of me wishes La'ra and his companions would start singing "Row, Row, Row Your Boat"...
the eyes are not here
there are no eyes here
in this valley of dying stars
in this hollow valley
this broken jaw of lost kingdoms

t.s. eliot

Offline KOTH-KieranXC, Ret.

• Spokesman, Punisher Industries
  • Lt. Commander
  • K-Fo, diehard SFCer and Taldrenite, est. 2000
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 10:35:57 pm »
I like this, and not just because the title reminds me of one of my favorite paintings.  As a Feddie writer through and through, parties for me generally consist of champagne, martinis, a couple of nice hors d'oeuvres, and the interior of a sterilized starship meeting room.  I'm glad the Klingons aren't nearly so boring, what with hunting and camping and all, though part of me wishes La'ra and his companions would start singing "Row, Row, Row Your Boat"...

LOL, my sentiments exactly.

Very interesting, La'ra. We very rarely get to see characters of the non-Fed races portrayed in a casual situation like this, and this little vignette is thick with great Klingon ambience. ;D
"One minute to space doors."

"Are you just going to walk through them?"

"Calm yourself, Doctor."

Offline Grim Reaper

• The 4th Horseman, the Lord of Death
  • Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005, 02:27:46 am »
Hey you can ignore the personal message since you already posted it here. I like it m8. Esp. the ending.  If it'll make you post more your welcome to post more of these. Or better yet, post more of these anyway :D!
Snickers@DND: If there is one straight answer in that bent little head of yours, you'd better start spillin' it pretty damn quick, or I'm gonna take a large, blunt object, roughly the size of Kallae AND his hat and shove it lengthwise up a crevice of your being so seldomly cleaned that even the denizens of the nine hells would not touch it with a 10-feet rusty pole

Offline Scottish Andy

• First Officer of the Good Ship Kusanagi
  • Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005, 09:29:02 pm »
You know I like this, Larry.

Just lending my support. I echo S'Tasik's comments. We so rarely get to see Klingons off-duty, and when we do, it;s more like a British pub 5 minutes before closing time... *grin*

Definitely a nice piece, and a nice change of pace for the crew of the Thief.

Keep it up, old son.
Come visit me at:  www.Starbase23.net

The Senior Service rocks! Rule, Britannia!

The Doctor: "Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink."
Mickey: "Wot's that?"
The Doctor: "No idea. Just made it up. Didn't want to say 'Magic Door'."
- Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

Offline Lara

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2005, 02:52:28 pm »
I still love Ran'jar, and I still like this...and post more.

oh and where is the rest of Forbidden?

and the mining one? and ours? and

GIMMEEE

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2005, 02:57:22 pm »
Ours huh?

Ya' know, no one here really knows about that one.  I could fix that.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."

Offline Lara

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2005, 03:00:52 pm »
1, On ours, its your turn.
2. We'd both have to be good and disciplined.
3 Maybe no one else would like it?

Offline Scottish Andy

• First Officer of the Good Ship Kusanagi
  • Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2005, 02:08:12 pm »
Explanation necessary. No La'ra-:ara-to-English translation device handy.  ;D
Come visit me at:  www.Starbase23.net

The Senior Service rocks! Rule, Britannia!

The Doctor: "Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink."
Mickey: "Wot's that?"
The Doctor: "No idea. Just made it up. Didn't want to say 'Magic Door'."
- Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2005, 03:32:04 pm »
She's saying that we've been working on a co-op story for almost a year, but only in fits and starts as we're both easily distracted.  I said something about posting what we've already got her, and she reacted by saying that it is, indeed, my turn on the co-op, we'd have to be much more regular about it if I started putting it up, and she's worried that no one will like it.

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 12:49:36 am »
Bump!