Topic: Apple and Intel - Together at last??!?  (Read 10238 times)

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
Re: Apple and Intel - Together at last??!?
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2005, 08:56:15 pm »
Another link

Brutally honest to say the least, but is that character in the cartoon strip talking to himself??!?

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2005, 10:15:16 pm »
Another link

Brutally honest to say the least, but is that character in the cartoon strip talking to himself??!?

I'm sure it seems like it.  He is on tech support.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Death_Merchant

• Commander
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2005, 09:52:16 am »
In terms of games on Mac, the Intel announcement may make things interesting: It is now likely that any Windows emulator (like Virtual PC) would now run AT FULL SPEED on an Intel Mac. CPU instructions no longer would need emulation. You could literally running Windows in a window.

I also would point out this interesting opinion here (http://daringfireball.net/2005/06/see_you_intel)

Here's another way to look at this deal: what Darwin is to Mac OS X, Intel will supply for Mac hardware.
  What I mean by this is that by basing Mac OS X around the open-source Unix-derived Darwin core, Apple essentially gave up on the idea of creating their own OS software from scratch. Is Unix ideal? No. Is Unix good enough? Yes. And it allowed Apple to move forward and put their effort into the parts of the OS that separate them from everyone else: Cocoa, Carbon, QuickTime, and their own applications.
  With this Intel partnership, Apple is doing the same thing for their hardware. No more going it alone, designing the entire kit. With a core architecture designed by Intel, Apple will be free to concentrate their own engineering on what they do best: the user experience. Not just how the case looks, but how it feels. In the end, it's the product that matters, not the underlying technology. Mac OS X established that for their operating system, and this Intel deal will do the same for the hardware.
  This doesn't mean Mac hardware will simply be "a PC with a pretty case" any more than that Mac OS X is merely "Unix with a pretty UI". It just means that both Apple and Intel get to concentrate on the things that they do best.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2005, 06:16:19 pm »
The one true reason PC users don't want the Mac on x86 hardware.

Link to the reason
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Death_Merchant

• Commander
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2005, 10:37:01 am »
The one true reason PC users don't want the Mac on x86 hardware.

Link to the reason
Chuckle...

More shots across Microsoft's bow.....
"Dude, you're getting a MacDell."

http://www.fortune.com/fortune/fastforward/0,15704,1072719,00.html
"If Apple decides to open the Mac OS to others, we would be happy to offer it to our customers," Dell wrote in an email. It's the first time any PC industry executive has openly shown enthusiasm for selling machines with Apple's software.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

Offline Clark Kent

• Captain
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2005, 03:52:46 pm »
You know, apple has opened up it's OS for third party computer manufacturers before, perhaps they should consider offering a deal to Dell?
CK

But tell me, can you heal what father's done?
Or fix this hole in a mother's son?
Can you heal the broken worlds within?
Can you strip away so we may start again?
Tell me, can you heal what father's done?
Or cut this rope and let us run?
Just when all seems fine, and I'm pain free, you jab another pin,
Jab another pin in me
-Metallica

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2005, 04:42:30 pm »
Dell building Mac systems would be one small step closer to opening the Mac OS on to any Intel/AMD machine.  I really think that once Apple realizes that open hardware is the way to increase market share and profits, Microsoft is going to be in for the fight of its life.  This is the best thing for all customers and it will finally give the MPAA/RIAA DRM junk the boot once and for all.

Offline Clark Kent

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2005, 05:38:23 pm »
Dell building Mac systems would be one small step closer to opening the Mac OS on to any Intel/AMD machine.  I really think that once Apple realizes that open hardware is the way to increase market share and profits, Microsoft is going to be in for the fight of its life.  This is the best thing for all customers and it will finally give the MPAA/RIAA DRM junk the boot once and for all.

I dunno if I'd want to see the Mac OS released for all to use.  I think it would just be setting apple up to become like M$, and that's not what I'd liek to see.  Apple has enough flaws ass is, no need to add to the list.
CK

But tell me, can you heal what father's done?
Or fix this hole in a mother's son?
Can you heal the broken worlds within?
Can you strip away so we may start again?
Tell me, can you heal what father's done?
Or cut this rope and let us run?
Just when all seems fine, and I'm pain free, you jab another pin,
Jab another pin in me
-Metallica

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2005, 10:21:42 am »
I'd probably prefer the latest FreeBSD on a new intel processor. (not proprietary - equivalent technology).

Ditching Motorola and then IBM to replace them with Intel essentially removes what was unique about Apple.  The differences will be purely cosmetic and continued sales might actually be endangered by these changes that have removed much of what created Apple users brand loyalty.

Dell building Macs? SHUDDER... so much for mac performance and quality. (Dell = crap in my books, ceape3st parts, ever corner cut... check the caches available on the cheapy "product dumped" processors used by dell - its laughable.)

While on the subject - ITUNES IS A TROJAN on windows systems. I had a devil of a time figuring out what had crippled a friends machine, until I had found ITUNES using 100% cpu which was not cleared with a reboot, the condition persisted for days, until I identified it and uninstalled ITUNES. (Thankfully it did uninstall, so I guess it's not really a trojan, but it sure behaves like one).
« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 10:33:15 am by Bonk »

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2005, 12:34:32 pm »

Ditching Motorola and then IBM to replace them with Intel essentially removes what was unique about Apple.  The differences will be purely cosmetic and continued sales might actually be endangered by these changes that have removed much of what created Apple users brand loyalty.

Dell building Macs? SHUDDER... so much for mac performance and quality. (Dell = crap in my books, ceape3st parts, ever corner cut... check the caches available on the cheapy "product dumped" processors used by dell - its laughable.)

Yes but Motorola/IBM couldn't produce the mobile chips that Apple needed let alone high end desktop chips due to extreme heat.  These are areas that AMD/Intel has proven that they can do.  Being different doesn't always means being the best, this case IMHO exemplifies it.  And because Apple's difference will be solely software based now doesn't mean that Apple no longer has anything to offer.  The Mac OS is still a year or two ahead of anything Microsoft will bring to the table with Longhorn, and a decade ahead of anything Linux has in what ever convoluted 31 flavors they can come up with.

Apple's problem is that they take great pride in shooting themselves in the foot then showing the world their accomplishments.  Either Apple is going to realize that shooting themselves in the foot hurts like he|| and will stop or they will fall flat on their face when their support comes out from under them.  Apple is at a crossroads right now, one path leads to redemption with Michel Dell pointing in that direction and the other path leads to masochism.  We'll have to wait and see which path Apple takes.  Ok the second metaphor probably wasn’t needed but… *shrugs*.   ;D

I agree that Dell makes first-rate crap, and I can say that from personal experience.  For some reason people like buying that junk.  But Dell also has the largest PC market share in the U.S right now.  The thing is that if Apple gave Dell the go ahead to build Mac loaded PC's, IMHO Apple's market share would double within the first month.  This I suspect will be what pushes game makers over the edge and produce mainstream games for the Mac OS.  As much as I hate to say it, Dell can only bring Apple up at this point IMHO.