Topic: Invitation  (Read 6043 times)

Offline KHH Jakle

• Lt.
Invitation
« on: July 03, 2005, 06:05:36 pm »
I am in the process of developing a string of scenarios (call it a mini-campaign or a tourney if you will) for KHH and PGC to use against each other.  It's sort of undefined at the moment, but what it ultimately breaks out into is PBR/historical OOB themes battles, where the scenarios will dictate actual ships to be taken and load outs.

Individual interested parties are welcome, but if you have a smallish fleet (at least 3 players) so much the better.

Anway, post here if you want in.

Jakle

Offline Mutilator

• FSD whip
  • Lt. Junior Grade
Re: Invitation
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2005, 07:10:46 pm »
Sounds interesting Jakle...What races were you looking at?
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline Dfly

• Lt. Commander
  • Lyran Alliance Lives
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2005, 07:20:39 am »
would be interested as a pilot when it is done.

Offline KHH Jakle

• Lt.
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2005, 08:12:33 am »
Sounds interesting Jakle...What races were you looking at?

If people can come with their own 'team' I can probably accomodate their preferred race -  I REALLY want to try to keep the scenarios historical (to include match ups between historical enemies).

I am not sure about PGC yet, but I know KHH can do Klink or Mirak, Fed in a pinch.  It would probably be useful if people had a back up race they could use in as well.

Offline KHH Jakle

• Lt.
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2005, 08:13:39 am »
would be interested as a pilot when it is done.

K DFly.  Keep and eye in here for updates.  It may be a week before any really movement happens - I'm just startign to figure out how we want to do this.

762_XC

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2005, 09:19:05 am »
=SoV= might be interested. Obviously Hydran would be our first choice, but we could probably fly almost any allied race.

Offline Capt_Bearslayer_XC

• "Sorry I haven't been around much lately. I'm easily distracted by shiney things."
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Captain
  • Virtute non verbis
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2005, 06:01:06 pm »
Hmmm.... is this an F&E style campaign?

If so, that is something I would be very interested in....

STOC ran something similar to F&E where your race produced, moved, and fought the enemy. 

Here is a link to the final turn map of the now defunct game:

http://coinich.com/starfleet/oclub/vg2/currentmap.gif

I think the PBR rule set would go a great way to settle some of the problems that we ran across with large battles. 

I have most of the info for running the map and can actually get my hands on a real SFB F&E map if needed.

Political Correctness is really Political Censorship

A tax code should exist to procure the funds necessary for the operation of government, not to manipulate human or business behavior.

A nocens dies in loricatus est melior quam a bonus dies procul opus.

A bad peace is even worse than war."  --  Tacitus

"We thought we could resolve the system's problems by rationing services or injecting massive amounts of new money into it" -Claude Castonguay

Offline KHH Jakle

• Lt.
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2005, 10:10:26 pm »
Bear - it may well be something else quite less ambitious.  If it approaches F&E style, it would still be a vastly reduced and scaled down version of that.

What it will probably be is some fleet on fleet squadron sorties, with ships made up of historical squadrons.  When I say historical I mean uber-PBR.  Year specific scenarios and F&E OOB will be the inspirations for the ships selected for the matchups, so you can expect everybody to be flying some dogs into battle.  That will most likely be the basic component, and I'll try to build up from there.

Offline Capt_Bearslayer_XC

• "Sorry I haven't been around much lately. I'm easily distracted by shiney things."
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Captain
  • Virtute non verbis
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2005, 11:20:59 pm »
Yeah, we had a problem with too many upper line & specialty ships being made... plus the break down of massive fleets proved to be a problem...
Political Correctness is really Political Censorship

A tax code should exist to procure the funds necessary for the operation of government, not to manipulate human or business behavior.

A nocens dies in loricatus est melior quam a bonus dies procul opus.

A bad peace is even worse than war."  --  Tacitus

"We thought we could resolve the system's problems by rationing services or injecting massive amounts of new money into it" -Claude Castonguay

Offline KHH Jakle

• Lt.
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2005, 12:48:23 pm »
plus the break down of massive fleets proved to be a problem...

That has been the killer for as long as I can remember.  That's why I am largely disinclined to bother with anything as grandios as F&E type simulation. 

What I may do is go back to SFB and look at some of the mini campaigns in there and see how they are constructed and how final scoring is determined

Offline KHH Jakle

• Lt.
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2005, 04:51:25 pm »
Ok - I think I have it.  I am going to model this off of T2.0 Economy of force.

Here's the basic tenets:
2 teams
6 scenarios
Each team has a set Total BPV which is used to buy ships from their 'Fleet List'.  From this BPV they would have to purchase ships, fighters/PF's and all as well as drone speed upgrades.
Each team then secretly divides their 'Fleet' into 6 groups.
The 6 scenarios are then played in series.

Some things to work through:
*Scenario 1 and 6 are supposed to have Battle Stations in them.  I have been messing with the Sector Assault that came with Ops Enhancements, but I can't seem to get the base to appear!  What am I doing wrong?
*A finite amount of ships divided across 6 missions.  No one side can have more than 3 ships in any one scenario - but I need to give careful consideration to the possibility of having only a single ship in scenario.  This will lend itself towards how much total BPV we use to buy the fleets.
*Need to come up with a decent way to properly score victory.  Fleetpick has a good after action txt that could be directly applied to SFB victory scoring - but I can't get it to work either!!  Sector Assault looks like it might do the same thing...need to verify though.  Bottom line is, I want to come up with a reasonable way for the team that ends up in a scenario where they are outgunned to still score some points  You can do it in SFB - need to get post-battle reporting that accurately does the same.
* PBR would be in effect for each individual scenario - so that would have to factored in when pruchasing and 'deploying' fleets

I am thinking of useing F&E OOB as the fleetlist to buy from, ex Fed v Rom would have the OOB of their Border fleets as the fleet list.  I might find a way to allow some 'coversions' (each team can choose one ship to convert to one of it's variants - but it would have to be a variant that is available in the game year and they can't already have one in the fleetlist to buy)

Since it's 6 scenarios, they all could conceivably be played out in one 'session' provided everybody had time to play 6 games in one sitting.  At any rate, it wouldn't take long to play out, so this kind of works out to be a nice mini-tourney.

What initial questions/thoughts?

« Last Edit: July 05, 2005, 11:21:48 pm by Jakle »

Offline Komodo

• Jack of all trades
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Just send me the bill...
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2005, 07:10:35 pm »
This sounds like fun. Too bad I'm offline at the moment :( (I type this from a germ infested public terminal lol)

Have you given thought to 'historical' SFB scenarios? It might be something to look into... there should be a quantity available online, but the basic idea is a predetermined set of ships to play, terrain, and an objective. This subject has come up once or twice in my years, but I never did actually get to try it...

Just an idea to peruse  :P
Nothing ventured, nothing gained

Offline KHH Jakle

• Lt.
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2005, 10:01:08 pm »
I've actually done that in two seperate posts in this forum, in addition to 3 or 4 other ones several years ago.

Offline Dfly

• Lt. Commander
  • Lyran Alliance Lives
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2005, 11:13:37 pm »
a suggestion for the 6 scenarios would be you must purchase at least 12 ships, but no more than say, 15.  this guarantees at least 3 of the 6 will have multiple ships(if 3 were put in 3 missions), with as many as 5 or even 6 with multiple ships(combos of 2 or 3 per mission). 

Another idea for you to maybe think about Jakle is one that I remember from a single ship perspective, but could be done with a team of say 3 ships.   I would have to look up details on it for full info, but best I can recall, the ship( or in this case team) must fly a series of I think it was 4 missions with no resupply available.  The 4 missions had specific ship combos to face the single ship(or in this case team).  Each mission in itself was an easy victory, but with no resupply, the damages to the fleet keep adding up.  I suggest this one to you as it can pertain to the thought of the deepstriking we do on D2.  Later this week I should get some time to dig up more info on this if you are interested in hearing it.

Offline KHH Jakle

• Lt.
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2005, 11:36:03 pm »
Sounds like Red Wyn Express maybe?  Something like that has potential - especially since you can also use Sector Assault to pre-load damage on ships to reflect lack of repair between scenarios.

I'll stick with Economy of Force for the first go around - it will be a lot less complex and more straightforward.  Good suggestion though, and perhaps can be followed up with a later incarnation if this is successful

Offline Ronin

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • sub·ter·fuge (sub-tr-fyooj) - Romulan foreplay
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2005, 06:28:10 pm »
I am interested as a pilot. Can't speak for a fleet. Will be watching. Thanks for another neat idea. < S >
"Flying Romulan takes cunning. You either have it... or you die."

In The Beginning -- An unfinished fictionalized account of events surrounding the old Starlance League.

Offline KHH Jakle

• Lt.
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2005, 08:38:39 pm »
FSD could probably use a wing if you don't mind Lyran.

Thanks Ronin - good to see you poke in every now and again.

762_XC

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2005, 09:49:57 pm »
Um, Ronin is already in a fleet!!!!!

You're with us bro. :)