Topic: Bush wowed by mountain landscape  (Read 2939 times)

Offline Grim

• Lt. Commander
Bush wowed by mountain landscape
« on: July 07, 2005, 05:11:45 pm »
US president George Bush has urged people to get on their bikes and tour Scotland's "beautiful" countryside.

He was speaking after crashing into a Strathclyde Police officer while riding his mountain bike on the Gleneagles Estate in Perthshire.

Mr Bush told journalists it was a "spectacular part of the world".

A spokesman for VisitScotland described it as "an impressive endorsement" and added: "It's something we would certainly echo."

The president suffered scrapes on his hands and arms and was treated by a White House doctor after the accident on Wednesday night.

The police officer, on security duty, was sent to hospital to be treated for a minor ankle injury. He is back on duty but is not available for comment.

Mr Bush was said to be "flying" when the accident happened.

At the end of a news conference with Tony Blair ahead of the first G8 session at Gleneagles, Mr Bush was asked how he felt.

He replied: "Great, ready to go for another ride. I talked to the policeman last night. He's doing fine. Less worried about myself and more worried about him.

"It just goes to show that I should act my age. By the way, when you ride hard on a mountain bike, sometimes you fall. Otherwise you're not riding hard.

'Slick pavement'

"The pavement was slick and the bike came out from underneath me just like that person on the Tour de France the other day. I think I've found my limitations."

The American cyclist David Zabriskie crashed while wearing the Tour leader's yellow jersey on Tuesday. "He's a lot better bike rider than I am," Mr Bush quipped.

Then he urged the media: "For those of you who like to mountain bike, I would strongly suggest getting out in this beautiful countryside. It's a spectacular part of the world... just be careful on the finish line."

'Fantastic facilities'

A VisitScotland spokesman said: "It's quite an impressive endorsement from one of the most powerful men in the world.

"Scotland has fantastic facilities for mountain bikers from the Borders to the Highlands."

The president Bush began cycling seriously a couple of years ago when a knee injury forced him to give up running.

His usual trails are near his ranch in Crawford, Texas, and near a Secret Service training facility at Beltsville, Maryland.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4659235.stm

lol i bet that policeman had a shock when he looked up at who crashed into him.

Offline Chris Johnson

• I used to be a Captain a forum or two ago...
  • Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
Re: Bush wowed by mountain landscape
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 05:24:25 pm »
Goes to show how human we all are.  I remember some of my bike accidents, most notably a tragic one I told before here.  And what can you do today other than move on with your jobs?  Personally I think news like this is minor, and is just extremist liberal food for the pessimists that uses hate as a hobby (not to be confused with normal Democrats/Liberals to which I respect, even around here) to just bash Bush over the head again and again, especially when comparing this event today to the London bombings.  (A note that I've already seen some comments concerning this news and comparing them to today's tragedy.)

Besides, wouldn't we be "wowed" by beautiful landscapes, naturally?  Really, you need a care-free attitude in this world every now and then, if not frequently.  It's a good way to live on.

"Oh, shut up!" -- Wil Wheaton to Wesley Crusher

Offline Grim

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 05:31:23 pm »
Goes to show how human we all are.  I remember some of my bike accidents, most notably a tragic one I told before here.  And what can you do today other than move on with your jobs?  Personally I think news like this is minor, and is just extremist liberal food for the pessimists that uses hate as a hobby (not to be confused with normal Democrats/Liberals to which I respect, even around here) to just bash Bush over the head again and again, especially when comparing this event today to the London bombings.  (A note that I've already seen some comments concerning this news and comparing them to today's tragedy.)

Besides, wouldn't we be "wowed" by beautiful landscapes, naturally?  Really, you need a care-free attitude in this world every now and then, if not frequently.  It's a good way to live on.

Well said and yes this is a minor topic in comparison to the major events of today.

Offline Khalee1

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 09:21:27 am »
Well of course he's wowed he's from Texas, they dont got no mountains in Texas. Its all flatland down there. :o

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005, 10:45:46 pm »
Oh no.. Here's the University of Texas at El Paso

The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Chris Johnson

• I used to be a Captain a forum or two ago...
  • Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005, 03:49:48 pm »
Y'know, I think I might've said something wrong here.  If not, then where?  I just got an itchy feeling I offended someone in this thread.  If I did, who?  And if I knew whom I'd apologize to him/her...

"Oh, shut up!" -- Wil Wheaton to Wesley Crusher

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 04:10:09 pm »
Well of course he's wowed he's from Texas, they dont got no mountains in Texas. Its all flatland down there. :o
Texas has many different types of landscapes.  They're all just really spread-out, and the mountainous area of the state isn't nearly as highly populated as the flatter areas.  Here in Texas, we have mountains, deserts, forests, plains, rivers, beaches, and even islands.

Offline Death_Merchant

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 11:40:55 pm »
Well, I guess this is an improvement.....

If you recall, his father was wowed by supermarket price scanners.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2005, 10:44:42 am »
 :rofl: