Topic: Wow, early TNG is REALLY bad  (Read 12136 times)

Offline Chris Johnson

• I used to be a Captain a forum or two ago...
  • Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
Re: Wow, early TNG is REALLY bad
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2005, 01:46:04 pm »
How I thought of it was this: The more you grow physically and learn from school, the more growing-up you do, the less of a kid you have in you.  Sure, we look back, we have it in our spirit, but we're adults mostly, and we're much of a different person; We'd naturally would be annoyed with our younger selves if they were another person entirely that we met (I figured this much out from little cousins and living with 'em for a half a year, though that's two years ago and I love 'em).  We'd also have grown to like different interests, especially those of the "mating ritual" (not speaking of myself though, but from observation), to which we'd most likely would've been grossed out by as a kid.

And with what I've been through here and there in my personal life, I'd kill to be a kid again in 1990, and not just a kid again by heart.

"Oh, shut up!" -- Wil Wheaton to Wesley Crusher

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2005, 01:52:47 pm »
 ;D :o

You were a kid in 1990?  That means you're STILL a kid!  Pop that TOS DVD in the player!

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2005, 03:14:06 pm »
He may just be expecting Star Trek to be like Star Wars, mostly action and special effects with a storyline to fuel it (and not much grey matter required). Star Trek, on the otherhand has always been cerebral. Expectation may be causing your 10 yr. old, Stephen, to be missing the story.

Your Probably right Tracy, now I feel kinda Bad for hitting him in the head with a Brick untill he said, I love Trek , I love trek.  ;)

Stephen the Brick layer... Uhm wait.
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Clark Kent

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2005, 05:28:28 pm »
Star trek was something a I had to grow into too, I wasn't much interested in itsince it wasn't a cartoon when I was a kid.  However, TNG kept my interest better.  After a season or two of TNG I became curious again of TOS, checked it out again, and was hooked.  To be honest, though, I prefer the TMP movies best, second TOS, then probably TNG.  Voyager is not on the list, really.  The cast was too contrived, the plots too much to suspend disbelief.  DS9, while a bit shaky at firstturned into a great series.
For me, I like trek for the exploration, adventure and introduction of new concepts.
Except, TOS.  TOS was to check out O'Hura.
CK

But tell me, can you heal what father's done?
Or fix this hole in a mother's son?
Can you heal the broken worlds within?
Can you strip away so we may start again?
Tell me, can you heal what father's done?
Or cut this rope and let us run?
Just when all seems fine, and I'm pain free, you jab another pin,
Jab another pin in me
-Metallica

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2005, 12:06:20 am »
I was a wierd kid...I always liked Trek...in fact one could almost say I grew up on it!!!

I didn't get to see all of TOS until recently however, when they finally came out with them on DVD...though I did watch them occasionally when they came on TV.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2005, 01:46:47 am »
Of the Trek spinoffs (TNG, DS9, VGR, and ENT), I like DS9 the best.  The characters were very well-developed, the over-arching storyline became very compelling, and Sisko is, in my opinion, the best Starfleet captain featured that has been featured so far.  Plus, Terry Farrell is HOT (almost as hot as TracyG's sig :o )

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2005, 06:00:10 pm »
Mr. Tricorder- your sig pic:  :lol:

I can see it now-

Starfleet insertion team beams aboard Klink/Rom/Cardie ship with phaser rifles drawn, "All your base are belong to us!"

Klink/Rom/Cardie redshirt, "Someone set us up the photon!"

Offline Mr_Tricorder

• 3D modeler /animator
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Commander
  • Trekkie at Large
    • My myspace page
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2005, 10:43:57 pm »
You're the first person EVER to comment on my little "alteration" to the Starfleet Command seal.  I wonder how many people have even noticed.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2005, 08:02:33 am »
I have to admit, I completly Missed It , It's cool though. Man how long has that Vid been out on the Interweb? It's running through my head even now.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2005, 09:09:32 am »
Gents, this might make heck of an April Fool's mod!  Unfortunately, it can't be done in any of the SFCs, but if someone would spoof one of the Star Trek FPS games, I'd really consider buying it!  Imagine a hand picked boarding party/insertion team led by Kirk, backed up by Worf, Sisko, and 7 of 9 as the heavy artillery, Spock and T'Pol as the point guards, while Hoshi and Data try to steal everything off the enemy memory cores!  Picard could be the voice in Kirk's earpiece, "Now, James, wasn't that a bit over the top?"...

... and no phaser for Kirk, he gets to bop all the baddies on the chin with his fists, all this after he grandly announces, "All your base... "

:rofl:  :screwloose:  ::)  :thumbsup:
You're the first person EVER to comment on my little "alteration" to the Starfleet Command seal.  I wonder how many people have even noticed.

Offline Darth Sidious

• Lt.
  • One Winged Angel
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2005, 01:27:51 pm »
PLEASE DONT MAKE ME FALL OUT OF MY CHAIR AGAIN!

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

+1!

Gents, this might make heck of an April Fool's mod!  Unfortunately, it can't be done in any of the SFCs, but if someone would spoof one of the Star Trek FPS games, I'd really consider buying it!  Imagine a hand picked boarding party/insertion team led by Kirk, backed up by Worf, Sisko, and 7 of 9 as the heavy artillery, Spock and T'Pol as the point guards, while Hoshi and Data try to steal everything off the enemy memory cores!  Picard could be the voice in Kirk's earpiece, "Now, James, wasn't that a bit over the top?"...

... and no phaser for Kirk, he gets to bop all the baddies on the chin with his fists, all this after he grandly announces, "All your base... "

:rofl:  :screwloose:  ::)  :thumbsup: