Topic: Yet another connection issue...  (Read 778 times)

Offline Komodo

• Jack of all trades
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Just send me the bill...
Yet another connection issue...
« on: July 25, 2005, 07:53:16 pm »
Been subjecting myself to the horrors of networking trying to figure this out for the past 3 days....

The specs-

Internet host computer (Dell Dimension 3000) has an exterior Alcatel Speed Touch Home modem (DSL) connected to a Intel PRO/100 VE Network Connection for the internet connection. The LAN connection uses a D-Link DFE 500TX PCI card. A crossover cable connects to the LAN from my older system, a P2 350 which has a D-Link DFE 530TX PCI card. Internet and file sharing works well, but I cannot connect to the D2 with SFC-OP (and most likely not GSA either...). I've ensured the directory file is up to date. I've read over the "port forwarding" article in the 'How To" forum, but I'm not able to access the options as described.

Is there any hope?

BTW, the host comp connects fine to the directory

I'm led to believe it's not port forwarding I'm having trouble with, since I have the option to bypass through Windows or McAfee firewalls. I'm thinking it has something to do with the IP addresses attached to each system...

PS- my ISP assigns a new IP every time I log on
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 08:03:29 pm by Komodo »
Nothing ventured, nothing gained

Offline FPF-SCM_TraceyG_XC

• Empress of the Empire
  • Commander
Re: Yet another connection issue...
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 10:46:03 pm »
The problem with OP is that it does not read internal ip addresses, only the external addresses (unless you are playing on the same computer as the server, in which case it reads your internal address). Because of this, only one player on the same LAN can connect to a server, and if you are running a server on the same connection that you are playing on, your internal ip address will be passed to connecting without your external address (consequently the game will crash if you try to draft someone).

Not sure if this helps, but there you have it.
Captain FPF-TraceyG, Federation Protection Fleet

SFC2.net Admin member
SFC3.net Admin member
Voting member of the DGA
Member of XenoCorp, Squadron Commodore

Offline Komodo

• Jack of all trades
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Just send me the bill...
Re: Yet another connection issue...
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 07:59:30 am »
Yep- that was my understanding as well.

In my obsessive research and trial & error, I came across the concept of either a VPN (virtual private network) and proxy server. I didn't really investigate, but they do sound like possible alternatives. Just wondering if anyone had a 2 minute tour on them, and if it'll work...

If nothing else, the exercise did help me understand my LAN a bit better.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained