Topic: Unique ship's I'd like to see in game (UPDATED JULY 2007)  (Read 226351 times)

Offline Jaeih t`Radaik

• "I'm the unknown Commander, who makes the Empire look so good."
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Elements willing, we shall prevail!
    • Federation Starbase 23
Re: Unique ship's I'd like to see in game (Thanksgiving Update pic heavy)
« Reply #180 on: December 09, 2005, 08:28:58 am »
Awesome job guys, I finally got a look at the model. There are several problems with it, I really don't want to nitpick, but this is one of my favorite designs and I would have tried to bash it if I was good enough but I'm not yet. Could you PLEASE work your magic on it Alec ? Also is it possible to get a grey varient as well ?

Requested changes (except inner hull texture not done yet).. although dropping the neck on it I'm not so hot on.. but hey, it's your ship.  :)

Hey everyone--and Atheorhaven especailly for this request. I'm a complete unknown to you all and I just started looking through this thread yesterday, but since then I've been DLinglike crazy from the battleclinic (including the USS Atheorhaven battlecruiser!).

This is a truly awesome thread for a ship freak like me, but I haven't got any 3D-modelling sofware myself either. Thanks to whomever it was who gave the milk-thingie link. I'll try that tonight.

Anyway, I was wondering if Atheorhaven could take the Romulan Warbird A V2 as modified for Norsehound and put the ship's boom/neck back up in the usual spot coming from the Upper Main Hull? The ship looks awesome and in better scale and appearance than the one I already have. It's massive, and more in the DN than CH size class.

I want to get into this stuff too for making my own ships, so do yo have any tips for a newbie? (And if most of this thread is off topic, I apologise, and you can e-mail or PM your hints/tips to me instead of clogging up the thread.)

Looking forward to your replies.

Jaeih
"I'm just observing. You know, making observations."
"Great. We'll stick a telescope in your head and put a dome over it, and we can call you an observatory."
Paris and Rory, from "The Gilmore Girls."

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #181 on: December 11, 2005, 03:52:04 am »
Hey everyone--and Atheorhaven especailly for this request. I'm a complete unknown to you all and I just started looking through this thread yesterday, but since then I've been DLinglike crazy from the battleclinic (including the USS Atheorhaven battlecruiser!).

This is a truly awesome thread for a ship freak like me, but I haven't got any 3D-modelling sofware myself either. Thanks to whomever it was who gave the milk-thingie link. I'll try that tonight.

Anyway, I was wondering if Atheorhaven could take the Romulan Warbird A V2 as modified for Norsehound and put the ship's boom/neck back up in the usual spot coming from the Upper Main Hull? The ship looks awesome and in better scale and appearance than the one I already have. It's massive, and more in the DN than CH size class.

I'll see what I can do.. I'd finished the texture fixes for the inner hulls, just never got around to applying and releasing the changes.  So doing a normal neck varient plus the grey variant textures shouldn't be too much of an issue I'd suspect.  :)

I want to get into this stuff too for making my own ships, so do yo have any tips for a newbie? (And if most of this thread is off topic, I apologise, and you can e-mail or PM your hints/tips to me instead of clogging up the thread.)
Looking forward to your replies.
Jaeih

Biggest tip?  Run far, far as you can... ;)  (grin)

For modelling though, I'd suggest trying something easy to work with first that'll generate some basic shapes, and then start putting those ingame.  One of my first meshes was a Borg Cube because a Cube is easy in any program.  :D  I had good luck with both Milkshape and Anim8or for getting me started, Milkshape is (was?) $20, and Anim8or is free.  If I'm going for speed on a mesh, I'll sometimes still block out the basic shape with Anim8or, and then export that shape as a .3ds from it into Max and texture and refine from there.

Anyways, quarter to three my time (in the morning).. time for bed.  :)
..ooOOoo..totally useless information..ooOOoo..

Mare Imbrium Shipyards - http://mareimbrium.webhop.net

Don't bother checking out my website for the most recent updates, because I've
been too lazy to update it!  Check Battleclinic!

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #182 on: December 11, 2005, 11:24:04 am »
Please start releasing Alec, the warbird, the Marco Poulos, and the one scout AV meshed.

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.

Offline Jaeih t`Radaik

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • Federation Starbase 23
« Reply #183 on: December 12, 2005, 09:22:09 am »
Thanks, Atheorhaven, I appreciate the tips. All of them. *grin*

Could you give me both the grey and the green paint for my ship? In my corner of the Star Trek Universe, she's called the MoonHawk-class.

Here's a pic of the model I already have, but I cannot remember who built her. Admittedly, it's not te best pic to show off her true dimensions, but it's the only one I have online right now:

And a link to her specs:

http://www.starbase23.net/Ship-Rom-Moonhawk.html
"Great. We'll stick a telescope in your head and put a dome over it, and we can call you an observatory."

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #184 on: December 12, 2005, 10:43:38 am »
Thanks, Atheorhaven, I appreciate the tips. All of them. *grin*

Could you give me both the grey and the green paint for my ship? In my corner of the Star Trek Universe, she's called the MoonHawk-class.

Here's a pic of the model I already have, but I cannot remember who built her. Admittedly, it's not te best pic to show off her true dimensions, but it's the only one I have online right now:

And a link to her specs:

http://www.starbase23.net/Ship-Rom-Moonhawk.html

Nice ship.....would you mind giving us a D/L link so we may enjot it ingame as well ?

-MP

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.

Offline Jaeih t`Radaik

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • Federation Starbase 23
« Reply #185 on: December 12, 2005, 10:47:14 am »
Having just read the 'Permissions' thread, I'd better consult the Readme file that came with it.

As for a DL link, I don't have the models online. When I get home I'll see if I can e-mail it to you, plus finding out the author's name. I'm sure I got it from the Taldren DFC Models forum. I asked for it there.

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #186 on: December 12, 2005, 10:55:10 am »
Having just read the 'Permissions' thread, I'd better consult the Readme file that came with it.

As for a DL link, I don't have the models online. When I get home I'll see if I can e-mail it to you, plus finding out the author's name. I'm sure I got it from the Taldren DFC Models forum. I asked for it there.

Sweet I'll expect the email later. Though not free, you can get Milkshape 3D 1.7.5 for about 30 bucks, and it works rather well for it's price. There are great add-ons for it so you can model SFC, BC and Armada ships to name a few. Plus there are many tutorials on how to use it floating around. It's a program I use, and it's definately worth the money.
-MP

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #187 on: December 12, 2005, 11:25:19 pm »
Please start releasing Alec, the warbird, the Marco Poulos, and the one scout AV meshed.

The Warbird's inner hull textures are fixed as requested, and the B varient (with the raised neck to the normal K'Tinga position) are done as well.  No grey texture pack just yet.. have to make it.  :)

Beauty shot and meshes attached..

« Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 11:39:23 pm by atheorhaven »

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #188 on: December 13, 2005, 01:32:53 am »
Het Alec...somehow the textures came unattached,,,I already checked the size...all are 512 x 512 but they're not on the model.

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #189 on: December 13, 2005, 01:54:19 am »
Aha....it was missing textures, not a mapping issue.

Offline atheorhaven

• Lt. Commander
    • Mare Imbrium Shipyards
« Reply #190 on: December 13, 2005, 02:42:43 am »

Damn, which ones were missing?

Offline Jaeih t`Radaik

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • Federation Starbase 23
« Reply #191 on: December 13, 2005, 07:39:17 am »
Atheorhaven, this is a great ship, she's beautiful! Kudos on the construction and feel of the ship. I can't wait to fly her. *grin*

Some trifling, minor points that you may wish to address: I've noticed the missing textures on the starboard side upper and lower surfaces on he Upper Main Hull and the upper surface of the Lower Main Hull too. Also, that in the auxiliary impulse deck on the lower truncated boom, if you look up at it from beneath there is clear space instead of hull plating. Also, there's a loose polygon/hull plate on the upper boom joint, its floating in space below the raised boom on "my" ship.

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #192 on: December 13, 2005, 11:03:49 am »

Damn, which ones were missing?

I fixed it, on both ships. I made copies of the textures that were missing and renamed them to suit. Uploaded the fixed ones to Battleclinic for ya  ;).

Offline Jaeih t`Radaik

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • Federation Starbase 23
Re: Unique ship's I'd like to see in game
« Reply #193 on: December 14, 2005, 06:52:52 am »
Thanks, MP. :-)

Well, I DLed Wings3D and MilkShape 3D, and I cannot see that either can import an SFC .mod file. I wanted to play round with the models I have first of all to learn the ropes, but I cannot seem to. Am I doing this wrong or can I not import .mod files?

If I am doing this wrong, can someone tell me how to do it right?

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #194 on: December 14, 2005, 03:03:55 pm »
Thanks, MP. :-)

Well, I DLed Wings3D and MilkShape 3D, and I cannot see that either can import an SFC .mod file. I wanted to play round with the models I have first of all to learn the ropes, but I cannot seem to. Am I doing this wrong or can I not import .mod files?

If I am doing this wrong, can someone tell me how to do it right?

I sent ya a PM with a link you'll need to get the plug-ins to model in SFC/BC/Armada etc...........

Offline AlchemistiD

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • No Replacement For Displacement
« Reply #195 on: December 16, 2005, 12:24:31 pm »
Different colored ships representing the Red vs Blue cast.  A blue frigate named 'Caboose'.  Which will never happen, of course, but it'd be funny as hell.

~Phasers, my Anti-Drug

Offline calamity_si

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #196 on: December 18, 2005, 01:36:05 am »
Hi all! This is my first post as a new member in this forum. I'm a longtime member of Scifi-meshes.com and I've recently started a thread there called "Starfleet ships of the future". As you can guess, it's about what designs from the ST universe would look like about 40-50 years after the most recent movies / tv episodes. I've come up with a few designs so far, which I've posted below. Someone has already meshed one of my klingon designs, and done a great job. One of my most popular pieces of work has been my ship, the USS Equilibrium.

Before I start, I should note that I'm travelling at the mo, so all I have access to is MS Paint and my sketchpad. If anyone wishes to create a 3D version of any of these, please let me know first and  please give due credit when you come up with the final version, as is the custom. Right, enough blabbing, on with the show!  ;D

Firstly, this is my Klingon ship that was meshed by a great man called Dannage. This is called the B'atleth class:

Here are a few designs for Cardassian ships of the future.

This is the Mecrit Class:

This is the Vrakesh Class:

This is unnamed, but is an absolutely BLATANT pinching of pre-existing designs from one of the Star Trek PC games. However, I absolutely LOVE the result! I've even shown what 2 existing classes of ships I've morphed together:

And finally.....my pick of the bunch!

My best ship, the USS Equilibrium:

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #197 on: December 18, 2005, 10:29:23 am »
Your pics aren't showing up. Please reload 'em again. I'm really interested in seeing them.

-MP

Offline AlchemistiD

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • No Replacement For Displacement
« Reply #198 on: December 18, 2005, 07:00:26 pm »
Here's something cool.  For anyone willing to make a Covenant capital ship from Halo, this page has in-depth info on their layout, size, armament, and Covenant tech.

http://nikon.bungie.org/misc/sloftus_covenantcruiser/

Offline calamity_si

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #199 on: December 19, 2005, 07:12:36 am »
Okeeey, that went well for my first post! LOL! I should've known better to link images from scifi-meshes.com. I'm sure you probably have to be registered and signed in with that site first before my pics will show up on your screen. For those who wish to view the images directly from my site, I've provided a link to it here: http://trekshipsofthefuture.blogspot.com/

I'll try adding a picture directly from my site as a little experiment. Here (again) is my pride and joy, the USS Equilibrium. If everyone can see it properley this time, let me know and I'll post the rest here. Otherwise, as I said, please feel free to check out the link! Cheers, Si. ;D

And my design for a Klingon attack cruiser designed to replaced the 'aged' Vor'cha class +50  years in the modern Trek future timeline. Thanks to 'Dannage' for meshing my sketch for me: