Topic: 2 Computers behind a Router?? Did it ever work?  (Read 4196 times)

Offline Kamikaze

• Ensign
2 Computers behind a Router?? Did it ever work?
« on: September 09, 2005, 10:37:50 am »
Its been along time since I stopped playing SFC3 but the Final Frontier MOD has caught my eye so I'm looking at seeing if I can get my server (KamiSpace) going again.  Unfortunately Verizon has made a change for me that has direct implications.  Previously I had unlimited IP addresses . . . . . . now I can only have one.  I've got it working so far in that I can run my Server and host a game and join with my gaming rig (one successful step forward).  If I have the ports correct :

Server
TCP  26100 - 26110
UDP  2302 - 2400
TCP/UDP 27100 - 27110
TCP/UDP 8085 - 6073

Client
UDP  6073 - 6073
TCP 2302 - 2303

One change I did do . . since both the server and client use 6073 I've given that to the client system.  So far I dont see any problems but I've not really done any full testing.  The game runs, the missions run, and its saving properly.  Oh yeah, and I've got the Final Frontier MOD working on the server/client . . . forgot about that <grin>.

Here's the problem.  I've got a buddy coming over in a couple of weeks who also has this game.  Is it possible to get things configured so he can connect to this server from the router too?

I've stumbled onto bits and pieces of information but nothing concrete.  One reference was about changing where the game was looking from Activisions site to the local server you want to connect to?  Never did find any more info regarding this.  Can someone fill in the gaps here and maybe explain the benefits?

Another was a post about using triggers instead of port forwarding.  The post I found explaing how to setup the triggering well enough but never verified if things were working correctly.  It DID look promising though.  I'll see if I can get my system to work using it first <grin>.

Hoping to get some responses soon . . . . . . . . . Thanks in advance!

Kamikaze owner of KamiSpace
« Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 05:06:56 pm by Kamikaze »

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
Re: 2 Computers behind a Router?? Did it ever work?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 12:13:13 pm »
You can only forward ports to one PC behind a router. That is just the way NAT is. Your ISP can provide you with a second public IP address for a nominal fee however (outside your router).

Offline Ted Bonnell

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 04:13:15 pm »
Did you ever get anything from anybody?  I have the same question.  Only I am trying to get 10 clients connected to our own server on our own LAN.  I understand the port things and why there is a problem.  However, it seems to me that during development Taldren did not have thier server running and reporting to GameSpy or Dynaverse.  And then they started up their clients, connected to GameSpy or Dynaverse and then chose the test server and joined.  They had to be able to connect thier local clients to a local server.  Or, they had a local access server that took the place of Dynaverse and GameSpy.

If they had a local access server, how do we get ahold of that?  If they didn't then they must have had some sort of command line paramter for the client that told it to look locally for a server and not through an access server.  Maybe something like this:  SFC3.exe -local

If a local client is talking to a local server then the local IPs are different so the port numbers don't conflict anymore.  Somebody has to know how they did this?

I saw a post on a Descent web page where a guy wrote a local access server.  With just a little bit of help with regards to whom talks to whom on what port and what is exchanged, I could do that.

I can tell you how far I got with the port forwarding and a single IP.  I forward the server ports you listed and it runs fine.  I then forward the client ports to my first client machine.  It connects to the access server and I see my server listed and can join.  I chose my fleet and I am in.  Then I go into my router and forward the client ports to my second client, start it up and it gets to the access server, sees my game server, I join, select my fleet and I am in.  Both clients can run around the universe and do things with the AI.  But when we both try to attack the same AI  the client who the ports are no longer forwarded to, is dropped out and sent to the nearest starbase; with appropriate repute I might add.  So, if you and your friend just want to run around and not be in the same battles this should work for you.

I got 10 folks to worry about though and they really want to fight together, and against each other, in the same battles.

If you learn anything useful at all, please let me know.

Offline MDFMoonman

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 09:28:28 am »
I spent a lot of time trying to get this to work, and came up with 2 options, neither of which are complete.

Option 1: Use port triggering rather than port forwarding
Problem: can't go into battle with other computers on the router

Option 2: Piggyback computers off of one computer, having only that computer connected directly to the router.
Problem: Piggybacked computers can't host a battle with the directly connected computer, but they can battle if the right computer is the host.

I probably haven't found the "best" port used to trigger port 6073. 6073 won't open itself.  I use port 80.  When teamspeak starts, it sends data out Port 80 which triggers port 6073 to open to incoming traffic. I still have a few problems getting past the "Test host", sometimes I have to shut down teamspeak and restart it in order to get in.

I am interested in the post you referred to about how to set up port triggering.  There is probably a better way than using port 80.

Offline MDFMoonman

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 09:46:18 am »
Oh one other thing I forgot to mention.  If you run more than one computer behind a router, you will also probably need to set static internal IP addresses for all the computers on the router.  DHCP seems to cause problems getting on about half the time. I have 4 computers on my router, 3 of which play SFC3.

Offline T' Kang

• T' Kang
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • sfc3.tkang@hotmail.com
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2005, 09:57:41 pm »
Moonman is on the money. I have ran a combination of his option 2 many times. I run two LAN cards on the Master PC. One is connected to the ISP router, the other to a wireless. The wireless PC's are on static internal IP's.  I have not ran more than 2 players on the wireless and myself on the piggybacked machine (3 total). There were CDKey in use probs when they did not use their own copy of the game. I am not sure what is seen by the server. I do not remember if we had any hassle hosting with the third player on-line, but my son and I have played in Dyna many times together.
sfc3.tkang@hotmail.com
APR D3 (c) Mod Director