Topic: Shocking development in dentistry.  (Read 1688 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Shocking development in dentistry.
« on: February 02, 2006, 08:35:49 pm »
New device fights tooth decay with electricity

Limited quote from the article:
The Israeli company Fluorinex Active has developed a new technology for fighting tooth decay. The company is currently working on a small device which together with a gel will impose an efficient ion exchange process through an Electro-chemical reaction in which fluor ions displace the Hydroxide ions at the outer layer of the tooth. This is intended to produce a new mineral layer with significantly improved chemical and physical resistance to the aggressive bacteria and the resulting acidic environment in the mouth.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Just plain old Punisher

• Vice Admiral
  • I'm not facist, I just like wearing jackboots
Re: Shocking development in dentistry.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 08:41:17 pm »
I'm sure, like most dentist tools, this one too could be used to make uncooperative people talk.

"Sex is a lot like pizza.  If you're not careful you can blister your tongue". -Dracho

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 08:48:54 pm »
That's why I gave up Marathons.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 08:53:50 pm »
Hydroxyapatite; incredibly hard yet fatally flawed. So close but yet so far from perfection.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 11:18:16 pm »
I suppose that is why they try to replace it to some extent with fluoroapatite.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 09:37:01 am »
Yes, it is acid resistant. Facilitating the ion-exchange with an electric potential is quite an innovative concept.

Offline Doctor Lazarus

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • By Grabthar's Hammer!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2006, 10:24:59 am »
Is it a neuro-toxic like regular fluoride in our toothpaste and water?

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 05:51:28 pm »
Any excess ingestion of halogen ions is potentially neurologically toxic.

The fluoride ions in fluoroapatite are bound in the crystal lattice of the apatite, more so than the original hydroxide ions they replace, (which is why it is a good thing) so fluoroapatite has no neurotoxic potential whatsoever. (unless lets say you were to grind up the teeth of a few hundred people and eat it... yuck...)

The hexametaphosphate ring that forms the base of the apatite lattice can be more of a threat in another form, accumulated phosphates in joints has been indicated in some forms of arthritis by nucleating apatite formation.

I would not be concerned about fluoride concentrations in drinking water and toothpaste and fluoride rinses. The health benefits of preserving your teeth far outweighs any miniscule neurotoxicity of ingestion of trace fluoride concentrations. (trust me, I have bad teeth and they can make you very sick, deathly ill as a matter of fact...)

Personally, I'm a little more concerned by the brominated vegetable oils present in soft drinks used to keep flavouring oils in suspension. (any pop that is cloudy) It is entirely possible that halogenated oils and fatty acids could have significant neurological effects if accumulated in any quantity. Think of the lipid bilayer of cell membranes and the nerve cell axons and synapse faces in particular, the inclusion of those big "fluffy" halogen atoms could significantly hamper the normal functions of the ion pumps in said membranes. Actually considering this, I can envision certain toxicity scenarios involving excessive halogen ingestion with the presence of fats and heavy metals, however the ionic form of the halogens is relatively unreactive and quite unlikely to halogenate the organics in the digestion system. (otherwise the strong hydrochloric acid concentration in our stomachs would be a problem).

Have a look at group seven of the periodic table and you'll see the halogens that are relatively abundandant and sometimes critical in biological systems.

Take iodine as an example, it is necessary for proper thyriod function (thyroxin contains two iodine atoms if I recall correctly).
Chloride of course is critical to our function especially our neurological function and overall osmotic balance across innumerable membranes.

Any of the halogens in their diatomic gas phase are significantly toxic of course, as on contact with water they form their corresponding acids. (e.g. mustard gas)

Astatine, as I recall has a number of radioacticve isotopes so I would certainly steer clear of that one... ;) But I don't think it occurs in nature. However the stable istotopes and isotopic abundances of the other halogens are invaluable in chemical research and hence medical diagnostics.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 06:11:23 pm by Bonk »

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006, 08:29:00 pm »
Hmmm... to quote Kirk, a "masterful analysis", Mr. Bonk!

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2006, 08:45:20 pm »
Why don't you use that chemistry degree for something usefull. Like building me a bomb.

My evil organization does have a good dental program.

"Sex is a lot like pizza.  If you're not careful you can blister your tongue". -Dracho

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2006, 10:03:47 pm »
Bah, chemical explosives are passé, though God bless Mr. Nobel and his legacy. The future of destructive technology is in anti-matter containment and storage, the domain of physics. Antimatter weapons are a real possibilty at this point, with incomprehensible power... :o  (Don't get me started on my "planetary deadman switch" theory - it scares people.) Though I could use a good dental plan if you can find room for me in your plans for world domination.  :D

The point is that fluoride is good for your teeth! Though I'm not sure that additional electric potential is necessary, as with this new product... the fluoride ions already "want" to displace the hydroxides of hydroxyapatite.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2006, 08:08:23 am »
Addendum to my diatribe above:

It occurs to me that trihalomethanes (THMs) produced by chlorination of municipal drinking water supplies are a genuine health risk. (there are provincial limits) Chlorination of drinking water is done using chlorine gas either directly or usually generated (hypochlorite). This is to sterlise the water, as chlorine gas will chlorinate unsaturated organic molecules thus killing nasty little bacteria and the like, but the by-product THMs are a heath risk. I am very confident that fluoride however, is added in its ionic form which will not halogenate organics as described above (that would defeat the purpose of adding it as it would no longer be available for exchange in tooth enamel). Now THMs are volatile and can be driven off by simply boiling your water. But a common and practical solution is to use one of these now common filter jugs. (Brita). The ion-echange media in them will take up the fluoride ions and the carbon present in them will adsorb THMs and any other nasty organics present. An alternative is to use separate cation and anion exchange and carbon adsorbtion filters at the intake for your house (assuming your plumbing is modern and quality)

Some municipalities are using UV sterilisation for drinking water whcih can significantly reduce or even eliminate the need for chlorination. I expect that UV treatment systems will make chlorination obsolete for municipalities that can afford it.

There is a reverse osmosis (RO) system in the basement where I'm staying that sits unused. It would remove the bulk of ions from the drinking water here, but the well water is loaded with calcium so I dont use it. I'm also of the opinion that a little bacterial exposure continually is good for the immune system. (manure spread in adjacent feilds).

OK, just had to get that out of my system, sorry...  ;D

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2006, 07:15:38 pm »
::eyes glaze over:: Bonk know what good for teeth.