Topic: Van Den Broek's alcubierre metric variant warp space configuration  (Read 42291 times)

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
Re: Van Den Broek's alcubierre metric variant warp space configuration
« Reply #200 on: November 06, 2005, 11:12:05 pm »
You know it wasn't me... I'm part of the thread!

I wish the angry dude out there would just post his feelings (in a polite manner) instead of just sniping.  Ah well, this is old ground.  I wish this hadn't happened; I don't like the smell of dead horses.

Offline Stormbringer

• Global Moderator
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #201 on: November 06, 2005, 11:17:43 pm »
indeed. there are only a handful of people you can discuss this stuff with out of common interests. after all how often does "Anti-De Sitter space" come up in ordinary conversation?

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #202 on: November 06, 2005, 11:24:10 pm »
The only other time was when my kids were babies; I guess they didn't want the babysitter in their play area...  ::)  :P

But seriously, all these things, as De Sitter spaces, gluon strings, etc., are hypothetical.  I truly wish there was either an alternative to the string theories and the standard model, or at least a more "beefed up" standard model that not only has its general all-around accuracy and facets that might point the way out of the "missing mass" or "wrong direction shifts" problems we see in astrophysics...

... anyway, as far as I recall, no one has truly "observed" quarks, either, though the predictive mathematics behind it is established...

Offline Stormbringer

• Global Moderator
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #203 on: November 06, 2005, 11:28:46 pm »
Well quarks observed or more properly detected. yes they have.

as to strings this principle actually explains why in the heck a string would manifest as an elemental building block of matter. it's stringiness is emergent and the underlying block is really a gluon. kind of elegant. and it has a couple of verified predictions to it's credit al ready. i kind of like it.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #204 on: November 06, 2005, 11:31:19 pm »
If you're right, I agree.

Oh, by the way, +1 for all your efforts in threads like this!

Offline Stormbringer

• Global Moderator
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #205 on: November 06, 2005, 11:38:50 pm »
Thanks. of course if i understand it properly; they cannot carry the holographic idea out of ADS and into a more complex metric involving the proper number of dimensions for our type of space because the mathematics is " too complex" to be worked out. This sounds odd to me but math is not my strong suit. as a consequence they cannot finalize a final quantum gravity theory from it but only a approximation even though they got good predictions on a couple of parameters from it. So they have a way to go.

Offline prometheus

• Hot and Spicy
  • Commander
« Reply #206 on: November 07, 2005, 05:29:05 am »
Hmmmm. String based quantum gravity descriptions actually work in Anti-DE Sitter space metrics. [...still studying it]

Current data, unless I've misunderstood, suggests that we don't live in an Anti De Sitter space time metric...  if anything, quite the reverse...

To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the Universe!

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #207 on: November 07, 2005, 09:38:24 am »
What if we actually live in an anti-matter universe, and what we think is anti-matter is really matter?

Quantum Physics:  Does it really matter?
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Stormbringer

• Global Moderator
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #208 on: November 07, 2005, 11:54:29 am »
Hmmmm. String based quantum gravity descriptions actually work in Anti-DE Sitter space metrics. [...still studying it]

Current data, unless I've misunderstood, suggests that we don't live in an Anti De Sitter space time metric...  if anything, quite the reverse...

That is true but you have missed the point.

Offline Stormbringer

• Global Moderator
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #209 on: November 07, 2005, 11:57:56 am »
What if we actually live in an anti-matter universe, and what we think is anti-matter is really matter?

Quantum Physics:  Does it really matter?

Well tellingthe actual shape of the universe is tricky. it is possible that we will never know the "shape" of the universe.

Offline prometheus

• Hot and Spicy
  • Commander
« Reply #210 on: November 07, 2005, 02:33:21 pm »

What's in a name?  We only call it antimatter because it has opposing fields to the kind of matter that we know and love... 

Offline prometheus

• Hot and Spicy
  • Commander
« Reply #211 on: November 07, 2005, 02:35:17 pm »

Oh?

Offline Stormbringer

• Global Moderator
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #212 on: November 07, 2005, 02:52:25 pm »
We really have no certain knowledge of what kind of space we reside in in regards to large scale curvature and even dimensions. but the holographic model can be extended to whatever space type it's just a matter of mastering the math. the model already has been used to both predict new observations (subsequently confirmed) and independantly confirm another via an approach completely different from how it was first postulated. thats without being complete. it points a way out ofthe absurdity of strings as a fundamental property without really doing away with the concept in a most satisfying way. it also explains some of the paradoxes about gravity vis a vis black holes.

The people involved of course realize that we are not in an ADS space. by developing it and then extending it into the proper space it will solve quantum gravity and reconsile it with quantum particle models. a very tidy package if you ask me.

Offline Stormbringer

• Global Moderator
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #213 on: November 07, 2005, 02:58:20 pm »

Oh?

yes. i said in a previous post:  Using this model physics does not breakdown in blackholes and statistical mechanics can be used to derive exactly by a different type of math the temperature of the hawking radiation. exactly. Going the reverse diraction the holographic model has been used to deduce the shere viscosity of a quark-gluon plasma. This prediction was confirmed by experiments using the RHIC at brookhaven national laboratory. obviosly there is something to it when it can make predictions which turn out to be true, however anti De-sitter space is not as complex as our space time and extending the ADS to our level of complexity involves such complexity of math that it is currently impossible to accomplish.

Offline Stormbringer

• Global Moderator
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #214 on: November 07, 2005, 03:22:53 pm »
Let's try an analogy (an I hope i do not mangle this...) Feynman or Ven diagrams are used for certain problems in physics. they have spatial components represented in two dimensions. they do not represent the complete model of the universe as it actually is (whatever that may be...) Yet they do make proper predictions about the subjects they are used for. If those diagrams could be extended to actually coincide with the complete spatial model they would be capable of making even more predictions about the universe. no one discouts the diagrams because they are not a complete representation. In the same way, should the hollographic model ever make the mathematical leap to inclusion of the proper space metric... do you see what i mean?

Offline prometheus

• Hot and Spicy
  • Commander
« Reply #215 on: November 07, 2005, 05:26:33 pm »
I do see what you mean, but the Feynman diagrams don't have anstronomical numbers of possible permutations...

Superstrings at the moment are still a temple that has been built without foundations... 

Offline prometheus

• Hot and Spicy
  • Commander
« Reply #216 on: November 07, 2005, 05:29:48 pm »

Oh?

yes. i said in a previous post:  Using this model physics does not breakdown in blackholes and statistical mechanics can be used to derive exactly by a different type of math the temperature of the hawking radiation. exactly. Going the reverse diraction the holographic model has been used to deduce the shere viscosity of a quark-gluon plasma. This prediction was confirmed by experiments using the RHIC at brookhaven national laboratory. obviosly there is something to it when it can make predictions which turn out to be true, however anti De-sitter space is not as complex as our space time and extending the ADS to our level of complexity involves such complexity of math that it is currently impossible to accomplish.

Using relativity, gravitational models do not break down in black holes either, and relativity has been ratified by experiment...  It may be that there is no Quantum Theory of gravity because gravity doesn't have a Quanta, and that the last seventy years trying to find a model that allows one has been a red herring...

Offline Stormbringer

• Global Moderator
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #217 on: November 07, 2005, 05:37:25 pm »

Oh?

Using relativity, gravitational models do not break down in black holes either, and relativity has been ratified by experiment...  It may be that there is no Quantum Theory of gravity because gravity doesn't have a Quanta, and that the last seventy years trying to find a model that allows one has been a red herring...

in the holographic model the gravity quanta is an emergent phenomenon not a real particle in it's own right.

Offline Stormbringer

• Global Moderator
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #218 on: November 07, 2005, 07:24:00 pm »
I do see what you mean, but the Feynman diagrams don't have anstronomical numbers of possible permutations...

Superstrings at the moment are still a temple that has been built without foundations... 

under the hollographic model niether do strings. only certain permutations.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #219 on: November 07, 2005, 10:47:53 pm »

This may be why the Eötvös experiment hasn't been mentioned much in the last ten or so years... I guess the "lack of (anti)gravitons" may have removed the foundation for any of the more aggressive hypothesizing based on it.