Topic: Firefox V 1.5 released.  (Read 2210 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Firefox V 1.5 released.
« on: November 29, 2005, 07:39:00 pm »
Link to site

A Better Web Experience
    Firefox 1.5 has an intuitive interface and blocks viruses, spyware, and popup ads. It delivers web pages faster than ever. And it’s easy to install and import your favorites. Packed with useful features like tabbed browsing, Live Bookmarks, and an integrated Search bar, Firefox will change the way you experience the Web, for the better.

Faster Browsing
    Enjoy quick page loading as you navigate back and forward in a browsing session. Improvements to the engine that powers Firefox deliver more accurate display of complex web sites, support for new Web standards, and better overall performance.

Automatic Updates
    The new Software Update feature makes it easy to get the latest security and feature updates to Firefox. Firefox automatically downloads these small updates in the background and prompts you when they are ready to be installed.

Tabbed Browsing
    Use tabbed browsing to open multiple web pages in a single browser window, and quickly flip back and forth. Drag and drop open tabs to keep related pages together.

Improved Pop-up Blocking
    Firefox’s built-in pop-up blocker has been enhanced to block more unwanted pop-up and pop-under ads.

Integrated Search
    Tap into the power of the Web’s most popular search engines with the built-in Search bar, and easily add new engines.

Stronger Security
    Firefox keeps you secure when you’re browsing the Web, closing the door on spyware, worms, and viruses. The Firefox community of developers and security experts works around the clock to monitor security issues and release updates to better protect you.

Clear Private Data
    Protect your privacy with the new Clear Private Data tool. With a single click, you can delete all personal data, including browsing history, cookies, web form entries and passwords.

Live Bookmarks
    Stay up to date with your favorite Web sites and blogs. Use Live Bookmarks that update themselves automatically with the latest content from the Web.

Accessibility
    Firefox 1.5 delivers easier navigation for everyone, including those who are visually or motor-impaired. Firefox is now the first browser to support DHTML, which enables Web content to be read aloud - even new kinds of graphics-rich content. Users may navigate with keystrokes rather than mouse clicks, reducing the tabbing required to navigate documents such as spreadsheets. Firefox 1.5 is also the first browser to meet government requirements that software be easily accessible to users with physical impairments.

Customize Firefox
    Select new button controls for your toolbars, install extensions to add new features, or change the look of your browser with themes - the way Firefox looks and works is under your control.

Next Generation Web Support
    Innovative new Web applications and services deliver a richer Web experience. Support for open Web standards in Firefox ensures you can get the most out of this emerging class of Web-based tools.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Firefox V 1.5 released.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 08:19:32 pm »
Thanks for the update Nem.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 09:09:07 pm »
Dang, I knew it was coming out today and totally forgot about it.   :o   ;D

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 09:15:48 pm »
I've downloaded it but don't expect to install it until Sunday.  I never (well hardly ever :) ) do hardware or software installs without allocating an abundance of time to handle any gotchas that might show up.  So if anyone does install and has any comments to make on their experiences I for one would like to hear them.
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline stoneyface

• Dark Lord of the Spliff
  • Lt. Commander
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 09:52:49 pm »
i'm all over it like...well use your imagination!!!
BlackOps agent for XenoCorp...

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-

Offline stoneyface

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 01:03:17 am »
damn. i'm really disappointed.

i downloaded...
i installed...
i tried to use...
i gasped...

this is one buggy p.o.s. in it's current state. some of the tabbed browsing won't work. the options dialog box has been reworked and now there is no way to allow the installation of themes/skins. lot's of little issues.

basically, i UNinstalled after about a 1/2 hour. i checked the site. this is a "semi-official" release.

summation: don't do it!!!

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 01:44:06 am »
Thats very strange. I've been running 1.5RC3 here since last week. Smooth as can be. Did you uninstall your previous firefox installation and extensions first Stoneyface? Plus, skins are for winamp (the birds) not browsers. I find this version a considerable improvement over 1.0.7 in performance.

Note: anytime I "upgrade" firefox, I uninstall it completely, delete the program folder and profiles folder and start completely fresh. It seems to work much batter that way, as I had encountered bugs in tha past when I failed to do that. (Actually that habit goes back to when I used Mozilla and actually did use skins, on an upgrade it caused issues... haven't used skins since.)

I'll try 1.5 later today.

edit: P.S. I do not use Winamp since Nullsoft sold out to AOL with it, Winamp now phones home to AOL servers on every startup. Thankfully Nullsoft has not handed over control of NSIS to anyone yet... <crosses fingers>
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 04:36:24 am by Bonk »

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 04:20:54 am »
Running 1.5 now. All seems fine.

My reccomended procedure to update:

- Download Firefox 1.5
- Export bookmarks
- Uninstall all extensions
- Exit and restart Firefox
- Exit Firefox
- Uninstall Firefox from the control panel add/remove programs
- Delete the Firefox installation folder: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
- Delete the Mozilla Profiles folder: C:\Documents and Settings\***YOUR LOGIN HERE***\Application Data\Mozilla
  (caution: may remove netscape profiles as well)
- Install Firefox 1.5
- Start Firefox
- Import bookmarks
- Reset preferences (download location prompt in my case)
- Download and install extensions. (Flashblock for me...)
- Exit and restart Firefox

Presto, works fine!

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 04:42:23 am »
P.S. Where did you see that it is a "semi-official" release?

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/releases/1.5.html
Firefox 1.5 is our next major release of our award-winning Firefox Web browser.

Looks pretty darn official to me...  :huh:

Offline Grim

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 06:11:56 am »
 :woot:

I followed the guidelines Bonk posted and it seems to be working fine for me.

+1 Bonk :)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 10:58:04 am by Grim »

Offline stoneyface

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2005, 08:36:11 pm »
well. slashdot.org had it listed as seni-official and one of the pages at mozilla had it listed as "post rc3" (can't remember the link) sorry...

don't get mt wrong, i am a HUGE proponent of firefox. i was really excited to try this out. granted i did noy follow the proper 'bonk' method. i will do so and see if that works better. thanks for all the advice and wish me luck because i really do think that FF is superior to all other browsers!

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2005, 06:39:58 am »
I saw that slashdot article after posting here as well, which explained the "semi-official" business. I think it was an early announcement when it was up on their ftp site just before the official launch.

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2005, 03:45:56 pm »
Finally spent some time with Firefox 1.5 today and I did notice an improvement.  A lot more pop-ups were blocked and being able to move tabs around is a neat feature.  I'll have to wait and see about the update features, but so far I really like what I see.  IE has a lot of catching up to do.

Offline stoneyface

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2005, 10:30:27 pm »
after following the 'bonk method' i seem to be running much better. according to the forums i've been to. the key is the program folders on your pc need to be deleted for the update/install to go completely smoothly.

thanks to bonk for his help.

now, after getting this running correctly, i'd have to recind my previous review. this works great. i love the new 'moving tabs' feature. i also notice that you can bookmark all open tabs if you want to.

good stuff!

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2005, 07:21:46 am »
Glad to hear it!  :thumbsup:

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2005, 09:47:20 am »
Just installed 1.5 on two machines, both seem to be working well.  Which is good as yesterday I saw my first two "popups" in ages.  Hopefully the enhanced popup blocking will stop them too.

Note:  I did use the "Bonkers" install system :)

Offline Death_Merchant

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2005, 06:14:47 pm »
Mac install procedure:

1) Click on download link (downloads a .dmg that automatically mounts (after you authorize) and opens the mount in the Finder)
2) Drag the Firefox app to the "Applications" folder ("Replace the older version?" Sure! WTF!)
3) Ta Da! Congratulate yourself! Yet another complicated Mac install behind you! Well Done!!!

Then again, you needn't follow step 2 exactly. Copy it anywhere you darn well please, just 'cus you can.

'Cus it's a Mac....

So there.....

;D
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)