Topic: Dynaverse/Multiplayer Connection Suggestions  (Read 33765 times)

Offline SPMaverick

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Shadow Warriors
Dynaverse/Multiplayer Connection Suggestions
« on: December 01, 2005, 10:24:36 pm »
Updated 12/02/2009 - Mav
Here's a post I made over on AltB awhile back. I hope it will help.

Since there has been so much confusion about how to get the Dynaverse/Multiplayer connection working, I decided to start this thread and consolidate the info I've found from various sources. It took me a while to figure out and/or find all this info when I was trying to get connected. I'd be interested in hearing other peoples suggestions. I'm always looking for new tricks. As always, your judgment is best when making changes to your system.

My setup:
Windows XP Pro SP3 with all patches
Norton Internet Security 2009. Firewall is enabled.
Linksys router with its hardware firewall enabled.

You can play multi-player behind your router with it's firewall enabled (without putting your PC in the DMZ) and with a software firewall enabled. I do everyday. I don't put my PC in the DMZ since that bypasses the hardware firewall built into most routers and greatly reduces your security. Not that I'm paranoid. ;D

Here's what you need to do: (5 steps to happiness ) :)

1) Install the game and all required patches for the Mod you want to play.

2) Install the Access Server Patch by Dynaverse.net.
    http://starfleetcommand3.filefront.com/file/SFC3_Access_Server_Patch;85299

3) Make sure you've opened the ports listed in the network readme.

I use Port Forwarding, however you might be able to use Port Triggering (but I haven't tried it myself). There is an "Applications and Gaming" tab on my router's setup where I setup my Port Forwarding as specified below.

Application        Port        Protocol        IP Address
SFC3               6073          UDP           192.168.1.x
SFC3          2302-2303      TCP           192.168.1.x

Application = Text for your memory ;D
Port = port or range of ports to open
Protocol which protocol(s) to allow
IP Address is usually 192.168.1.x where x is the final octet of the IP address of your PC.

4) Depending on your software firewall (if you have one), set it to allow SFC3 and Microsoft DirectPlay8 to have network access, if it doesn't do so automatically (mine does).

Here's the obscure part...

5) Either disable Universal Plug and Play on your router (on the Administration tab) or in Windows services. Either way works. FYI, if you do it in Windows services, make sure it is DISABLED, not just STOPPED. Also, if you disable the Windows service it may affect the operation of some of your other software.

Until I did the fifth step above, the DirectPlay Test would always fail.

Additional Suggestions - 2 More Steps - Trust me :)

1) Right click on the desktop icon and choose Properties. Select the Compatibility tab then check the box to "Disable visual themes" and click OK.

2) You can place the following line in your SFC.ini file at the end under the META section. If you're using Network Address Translation (most people behind routers are) then it will greatly speed up the DirectPlay Test as it will check your external IP address first.

The following will keep you from having to update your IP address in the ini file, since most people's addresses are dynamically assigned by the ISP and can change anytime.

BehindNAT=1

It has been brought to my attention that BehindNAT doesn't work for everyone. In this case, replace it with the following, where xxx is your external IP address.

IP_ADDRESS=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

IMPORTANT: If you use the IP_ADDRESS entry, you will have to update it when your ISP changes your IP address.

Note: You can usually only play on one PC behind a router at a time due to NAT translation.

Some routers may also have more sophisticated built-in firewalls than mine. Yours might require that you grant Starfleet Command 3 and Microsoft DirectPlay8 access like a software firewall.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 03:57:34 pm by SPMaverick »

Offline KBF MalaK

• Just Another Target
  • Lt.
Re: Dynaverse/Multiplayer Connection Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 11:32:27 pm »
someone's gotta stick this !!!

great info
"Artificial Intelligence is not a suitable substitute for natural stupidity"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Offline KBF-Crim

• 1st Deacon ,Church of Taldren
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 12:16:19 am »
Done.

Offline GFL Offkey

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • Galactic Foriegn Legion
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2005, 08:11:13 am »
There is a typo in your post. 2033-2303 should read 2303-2303

Offline SPMaverick

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Shadow Warriors
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2005, 02:12:27 pm »

Really? I got that range from the network readme file distributed with the game. It is under the section titled Linksys BEFSR41 v.1 since that was what I had at the time. Here's the excerpt:

5.   On the next available line under Server Port Range enter 2033 ~ 2303, under Protocol select TCP, and under IP Address enter the IP address of the computer on which you will be playing SFC3.

So, I guess my question is: Are you able to play opening only port 2303 instead of the range? I just assumed the readme was correct, especially since it worked for me. Please let me know so I can update my post on other forums as well.

Thanks

Offline SPMaverick

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Shadow Warriors
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 02:34:48 am »

Really? I got that range from the network readme file distributed with the game. It is under the section titled Linksys BEFSR41 v.1 since that was what I had at the time. Here's the excerpt:

5.   On the next available line under Server Port Range enter 2033 ~ 2303, under Protocol select TCP, and under IP Address enter the IP address of the computer on which you will be playing SFC3.

So, I guess my question is: Are you able to play opening only port 2303 instead of the range? I just assumed the readme was correct, especially since it worked for me. Please let me know so I can update my post on other forums as well.

Thanks

Well, I finally got some time to investigate this. After checking the network.readme for other routers, it does appear that there was a typo in the section for the one I was using at the time. It still worked, so I assumed it was correct. Anyway, I made the change to reflect the info given for the other routers and tested it on my current Linksys. It works and is cleaner, so I've updated my original post to reflect this. Thanks for noticing GFL Offkey.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2006, 08:58:19 am »
Actually, its 2302-2303, but I see that is what you have in your first post now anyway.

Interestingly, Microsoft indicates:

Using DirectX 7 or an earlier version
ConnectionPorts for Client ConfigurationPorts for Host Configuration
Initial TCP Connection47624 Outbound47624 Inbound
Subsequent TCP Inbound2300-24002300-2400
Subsequent TCP Outbound2300-24002300-2400
Subsequent UDP Inbound2300-24002300-2400
Subsequent UDP Outbound2300-24002300-2400

Using DirectX 8 or a later version
ConnectionPorts for Client ConfigurationPorts for Host Configuration
Initial UDP Connection6073 Outbound6073 Inbound
Subsequent UDP Inbound2302-24002302-2400
Subsequent UDP Outbound2302-24002302-2400

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/240429

So,
for SFC2: 47624 TCP, 2300-2400 TCP & UDP
for SFC3: 6073, 2302-2303 UDP

Should be all that is required. I know for sure those are the only ports required for SFC2, but I have not tested using UDP only for SFC3, last time I played it behind a router I just forwarded TCP & UDP for all the ports concerned.

I wonder if the SFC3 network readme is in error about ports 2302-2303 being TCP and not UDP? The directplay 8 requirements tell me it is, which might explain why so many have issues.

Offline SPMaverick

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Shadow Warriors
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 07:39:33 pm »
[...]
So,
for SFC2: 47624 TCP, 2300-2400 TCP & UDP
for SFC3: 6073, 2302-2303 UDP

Should be all that is required. I know for sure those are the only ports required for SFC2, but I have not tested using UDP only for SFC3, last time I played it behind a router I just forwarded TCP & UDP for all the ports concerned.

I wonder if the SFC3 network readme is in error about ports 2302-2303 being TCP and not UDP? The directplay 8 requirements tell me it is, which might explain why so many have issues.

That is indeed interesting.

The ports that I've always used and can confirm working for SFC3 are 6073 UDP and 2302-2303 TCP, as per the network readme. However, I just did a quick test, setting 2302-2303 as UDP and connected fine. I didn't try any other testing such as hosting, PvP etc. I'm not sure if it would matter. It seems that either work.

Offline GFL Offkey

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 12:41:45 pm »
On my connections I opened all three ports in udp and tcp that way there would be no issue.

Offline TraumaTech

• DON'T PISS OFF THE KITTY
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt.
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 07:49:20 pm »
ok  i jusr re installed sfc3 on my comp.  no patches ..i tried to run a single player game to see all is working.I am on cable and i disabled my firewall(the second time around0  no router involved here.both time,once setting up the game i would crash back to gsa and this is what it would say

Unhandled Exception! in Version 1.00 Build 435
sfc3.exe caused an EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION in module d3d8.dll at 001B:6DA4BA33

EAX=00000000  EBX=0000037A  ECX=01E3AB90  EDX=003CBFD0  ESI=00000400
EDI=003C8880  EBP=000003FA  ESP=0013FBD0  EIP=6DA4BA33  FLG=00210202
CS=001B   DS=0023  SS=0023  ES=0023   FS=003B  GS=0000

001B:6DA4BA33 (0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000) d3d8.dll

what am i doing wrong??

i run a dell 2.8 duo core pentium d

320 gigibytes hard drive

2000 mb ram

256 mb vid card(Nvidia 7300 turbo le)

sound card  sb x-fi

o/s  xp pro

Offline GFL Offkey

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 07:58:19 pm »
Ok right click the exe icon and disable visual themes and then go to compatabilty and make it compatible for win95. then go into the programs menu and run the configurator for the game. then go inot c:/programs/activision/sfc3/assetts/scripts and delete the all scripts cache file. then try it.

Offline Protoman

• Ensign
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2006, 03:58:34 pm »
I have set up all of the above, but I still can't connect.

I'm behind a BT Voyager 2110 router, running Windows XP Pro SP2.

Any help?

Offline GFL Offkey

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2006, 02:50:46 pm »
xp pro has issues with the game. you have to allow the program access regardless of firewalls. so you give access to it in antivirus windows router ect.

Offline worfhonour

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2007, 07:04:31 am »
Hi,
Ok right click the exe icon and disable visual themes and then go to compatabilty and make it compatible for win95. then go into the programs menu and run the configurator for the game. then go inot c:/programs/activision/sfc3/assetts/scripts and delete the all scripts cache file. then try it.

This is correct but also remove the 'Campaign.cache'.
Also in Control panel/Internet setting delete 'cookies' and 'temp files'.

In control panel/java remove all cache files.

Hope that helps.

Worfy  ;D

Offline one

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2007, 03:20:35 am »
Excellent!

Betelgeuse

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2008, 01:15:41 pm »
Hey all,

First time user here!  I'm having connection issues as well but I'm not very computer savy.  I'm using Vista 64bit OS with SFC3 base intall with just the new patch 534b.  Game runs flawlessly single player but I can not get it to access the dynaverse.  I don't have any routers or firewall software (besides the built in Windows one - which I turned off).  Could someone walk me through this because I'm no expert with computers and most of what I read so far has me at a loss.

Offline worfhonour

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2008, 01:37:17 pm »
Hello,
I think the answer is in the 'How can I play online or can you play anymore' thread.

Vista has many issues with the SFC games..

You will have to configure Vista to work with your software.

To start off with, Vista has many issues in compatibility with older OS systems... so using the Vista Beta RC SP 1 would help a lot, however you download at your own risk, no one here is responsible for what you put on your system.

the SP 1 Beta for vista can be located at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=BE34577A-E925-48FB-9D6D-50FE9461F808&displaylang=en

It takes about 1 hour to install

You will also need to go to Windows Update and get any additional (optional and Security) updates available.

Then you need to disable the Windows Firewall Service.. to do this you need to click on the start button, click on run, type in Services.msc, scroll down to Windows Firewall , right click on it, select properties, click stop button, and change the dropdown menu from automatic to disable.

Next you need to disable user accounts.  go to control panel, go into user accounts, click on user accounts, click on turn on/off user account control, uncheck box, click OK. This disables Vista making a SHADOW copy of your account.

Next configure your Anti-Virus / router firewalls (you should only be using 1) according to the Networking Readme file located in the SFC 3 game directory

Now, you need to configure GSA to work with Vista.. to do this, set GSA compatibility mode to Win 2000 and disable Desktop Composition, Disable Visual themes. GSA should work normally now.

Next you need to configure the game, Set game for XPSP 2 compatibility, disable Visual Themes, and disable desktop composition.

Now when you launch the game and go into Multi-player, you may get a firewall message.. just exit the game and re-launch.. you should now see the directory servers.. however servers may not seem to work correctly for players on Vista.. such as slow hex movement, purchase components not updating for 1 to 2 min, hex update after battle not updating for 1 to 2 min.. these things work just fine for people using XP, however Vista is using a different Direct X version than Vista. XP is using Direct X 9.0c, Vista SP 1 uses Direct X 10.1, there is a compatibility problem between the Direct Play controls in the Direct X version that cause this problem with Vista users and SFC games.

Microsoft is working on compatibility between the 2 OS systems in Direct X.. hopefully the upcoming XP Direct X version 9.0LE will be compatible with Vista Direct X 10.1...

However the main problem is that no one has the source code for SFC 3 or SFC OP, both games suffer the same problem.. a rebuild of the game engine under the Direct X 10.1 SDK should fix the networking issues, however, no one has a source code and as such, no update can be made on our end.. so we are waiting on Microsoft.

Hope that this helps.

A helping hand from 'Pesalence'.

Worfy

Betelgeuse

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2008, 04:47:06 pm »
Something told me I should of stuck with XP but ah well... I'll give this a shot and see if it works.  Thanks alot Worf!

Offline Pestalence_XC

• "The Terminator"
  • Commander
  • "The Terminator" Pestalence_XC, Xenocorp
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2008, 10:21:12 pm »
Hey all,

First time user here! I'm having connection issues as well but I'm not very computer savy. I'm using Vista 64bit OS with SFC3 base intall with just the new patch 534b. Game runs flawlessly single player but I can not get it to access the dynaverse. I don't have any routers or firewall software (besides the built in Windows one - which I turned off). Could someone walk me through this because I'm no expert with computers and most of what I read so far has me at a loss.

You will also need the SFC 3 Dynaverse Directory Fix file .. just do a forum search for it.. Activision no longer hosts SFC 3, Dynaverse.net does.. as such, a game file needs modification to see the directory server and the Fix file will do that for you.
"You still don't get it, do you?......That's what he does. That's all he does! You can't stop him! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

Member :
Xenocorp / Dynaverse.net Moderator & Beta Test Team
SFC 4 Project QA Coordinator
Taldren Beta Test Team
14 Degrees East Beta Test Team
Activision Visioneers SFC 3 Beta Test Team

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2008, 11:13:30 pm »
Hey all,

First time user here!  I'm having connection issues as well but I'm not very computer savy.  I'm using Vista 64bit OS with SFC3 base intall with just the new patch 534b.  Game runs flawlessly single player but I can not get it to access the dynaverse.  I don't have any routers or firewall software (besides the built in Windows one - which I turned off).  Could someone walk me through this because I'm no expert with computers and most of what I read so far has me at a loss.

http://starfleetcommand3.filefront.com/file/SFC3_Access_Server_Patch;85299
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.