Topic: Map ideas from the Vaults...Yeah I don't believe me either  (Read 2851 times)

Offline AlchemistiD

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • No Replacement For Displacement
Map ideas from the Vaults...Yeah I don't believe me either
« on: December 20, 2005, 05:56:34 pm »
These were maps I had made with FMSE that got erased.  Just as well, since I can't use them in SFC:OP, but I've redesigned them and came up with some creative stuff in case any one's willing to make some new multiplayer maps for OP and maybe improve on them.  So, without any further ado, here is Liminality, Duality, and Terminality.

Here is the map legend.

MAP NAME: LIMINALITY
SHIP SIZE: SMALL-HEAVY CRUISER SIZE SHIPS
RECCOMENDED GAMETYPE: TEAM DEATHMATCH
RECCOMENDED NUMBER OF PLAYERS:  3 vs 3 or 4 vs 4

Liminality is defined as describing some sort of boundary between two very
different things.  In this maps case, the Liminality is the Asteroid field.

This map is a generic team deathmatch map.  Both teams defeated will respawn at
their planet.  Team One will call Yyjecera home while Kezara III will be host to
Team Two.  The battle will proceed with a time limit.  When the timer reaches zero,
the team with the most kills wins. 

The reason for the respawning is simple, the smaller asteroids in the middle of the
neutral field can be tractored.  This means that they can be used as shields from
missiles, as well as massive weapons to destroy an enemy team's ship instantly by
ramming it into them.

Both teams will have to watch out for the moving asteroids in the center of the map.
Other than that, the map is fairly straightforward.  Kill the other team as many times
as possible.

MAP NAME: DUALITY
SHIP SIZE: SMALL-HEAVY CRUISER SIZE SHIPS
RECCOMENDED GAMETYPE: TEAM BASE DEFENCE
RECCOMENDED NUMBER OF PLAYERS:  3 vs 3 to 5 vs 5 (If you can get that many)

This map was inspired from the Halo 2 map 'Gemini', which is a remake of the
original Marathon map 'Duality', hence this map's name.

Jeezus...there are so many offensive/defensive possibilities here...where do I start?
Well, let's start with the bases.  The Federation (or some ally) spawns at the Unity 2
starbase at the rift.  Unity 2 is protected by two Federation defense platforms.  An
additional platform defends an allied Starfleet Supply ship laden with repair parts
and marines.

The other base (The planet) basically belongs to anyone you choose.  It's defended
by the second team and, well...that's basically it.  There is a second starfleet supply
ship defended by a platform near the planet.  The platform is neutral, so capturing it
and the supply ship is a priority for the planet-based team.

Now, this may look like a fairly crappy situation for the second team to be in, with
almost no defenses, until you take into account the four small, tractorable asteroids
orbiting the planet.  These asteroids can mean a quick victory for the planet team,
with the right tactics and a little teamwork.  They can also be used to destroy enemy
ships or the enemy defense platforms, but be careful.  You only have four of them.

Capturing the opposite teams supply ships or defense platforms can also provide an
obvious boon to either team.  Each team, however, must attack the other through one of three 'corridors' made by
an irregular asteroid belt, some of which are more defensible than others. 
This can make going about things fairly difficult.  It will take some creative thinking to pull off
an assault on either base successfully.

MAP NAME: TERMINALITY
SHIP SIZE: Any class as long as the opponents are fairly even.
RECCOMENDED GAMETYPE: FREE FOR ALL
RECCOMENDED NUMBER OF PLAYERS:  4 to 6

Terminality is a rat-race, pure and simple.  Kill or be killed.  It offers some
interesting tactical options, though.  That we will go over.

First and most important are the various defense platforms and starships.  These
range from unmanned (well, 'initially' at least ^_^) supply ships, to a cartel ship on
patrol, to the two defense platforms orbiting the planet.

Capturing the supply ships obviously provides you with more resources, while
capturing the cartel cruiser would provide you with an invaluable wingmate, and
finally capturing either one or both of the defense platforms could provide valuable
fire support.

Of course, you could tractor someone and ram them into the planet, too.  But what
fun is that?  Knock out a few of their shields and weapons and drag them close to
the star while lecturing them on the folly of their ways.  Remember, anything goes
on this smuggler's moon, so go ahead and fight as dirty as you want.  I won't say
anything to anyone ^_^.

There you go.  If anyone likes/wants to make these I'll make some more designs later.
I've got an idea for a teamgame where the goal is to scan as many planets as possible.
But I've gotta find a name that fits with the something-ality theme.

(Map symbols were taken from various games including the SNES Starfox 2 demo, Megamen EXE, Megaman X4, and X Zone)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 06:19:03 pm by AlchemistiD »