Topic: out of curoisty  (Read 2501 times)

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
out of curoisty
« on: February 06, 2006, 11:20:22 pm »
Where do you all get all this filler information for your stories (specifically trek)?  How much is from your own personal universe and how much did you have to grab from sources? 

from a curious guy who would like to actually get more that 3 paragraphs on a story ;)
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Grim Reaper

• The 4th Horseman, the Lord of Death
  • Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
Re: out of curoisty
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 04:15:59 am »
I'm no writer, but intel always come from either bernd or graham.

But the rest can awnser you better.

What i did find though was a couple of references to sourcebooks like the Star Trek Encyclopedia and other sites like the Starfleet Museum

Andy? Guv? Jaeih? Kadh? Kieran? La'ra? guys? gals? anyone?
Snickers@DND: If there is one straight answer in that bent little head of yours, you'd better start spillin' it pretty damn quick, or I'm gonna take a large, blunt object, roughly the size of Kallae AND his hat and shove it lengthwise up a crevice of your being so seldomly cleaned that even the denizens of the nine hells would not touch it with a 10-feet rusty pole

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 05:20:27 am »
I know Blyre used to bounce ideas off of me all the time, and He should be back online within the month. But I digress, I think Most writters use the old and proven addage of presenting the old, in new mediums. I mean to be honest, there is only about 5 differant stories out there, But the Nuance that the writters here put on them, well, man, That's an art all to itself.

stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Scottish Andy

• First Officer of the Good Ship Kusanagi
  • Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 07:56:04 pm »
Tus, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by filler.

If you mean excessive technical detail, I get that from my non-canon Tech Manuals, like 'Star Fleet Dynamics', 'Franz Joseph Tech Manual', 'Scotty's Guide to the Enterprise', the various 'deck plans' I have, 'Star Fleet Battles' source material, on-line sources, 'The Star Trek Encyclopedia', various ST novels I've read and liked concepts of (Places, ships, people, situations).

Basically, everywhere and anywhere.

Plus. general inspiration and bouncing such off Larry.  ;D
Come visit me at:  www.Starbase23.net

The Senior Service rocks! Rule, Britannia!

The Doctor: "Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink."
Mickey: "Wot's that?"
The Doctor: "No idea. Just made it up. Didn't want to say 'Magic Door'."
- Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 09:23:50 pm »
that is exactly what i mean by filler.  filler to me is anything that adds to the story, that gives the atmosphere and feel to it ;),
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline kadh2000

• Admiral, of course
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Kadh's Empire
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 04:10:56 pm »
Those are all great resources.  I also use the various ST roleplaying games and in the end the TV series.  You can't find a better resource than the orginal material.
"The Andromedans," Kadh said, "will never stop coming.  Not until they are all destroyed or we are."

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 05:02:19 pm »
The one I'm writing right now, takes a lot of from Starfleet Command, but more from my own imagination and an attempt to fill in some gaps.  For example, the first chapter of this next story starts out with the destruction of a Baton Rougue Class USS Constellation NCC-1017.  She goes down in such a manner that the Third Constitution Class Starship will be renamed Constellation and given her hull number.  I also have put in exactly why the Dedication plate on the bridge of the Enterprise reads "Starship class" instead of Constitution Class. (Although i don't want to give that away just yet)

In general I've watched all but a handfull of TOS episodes, all but two ENT Eps, and I missed half a season of VOY, but other than that I've seen the rest mulitple times.  I have the Star Trek Techincal Manual that was released in the Early 70s, as well as a few others.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)