Topic: Does Anyone Actually Play SFC3 Online?  (Read 16962 times)

Offline Jayded

• Lt. Junior Grade
Does Anyone Actually Play SFC3 Online?
« on: February 13, 2006, 04:14:57 pm »
Seriously? Everyone i ask says they cant connect to dynaverse at the moment, DirectPlay Test just times out. Is there anybody actually out there who still plays it? Or is it just a myth? If sum1 does actually still play it, can they tell me how to sort the problem of getting past the DirectTest host?

Jayded

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
Re: Does Anyone Actually Play SFC3 Online?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 07:25:33 am »
SFC3 is still played online quite regularly.  There are about one or two servers online almost all the time open for the general public, and a few sometimes hosted for beta testing mods or for personal fleet/clan use.  The major mods, such as Unity, NDF, Island Wars, GAW, Sedition, Final Frontier, are open to all people, but most require you to register for the campaign in order to get the password for the server.

http://sfc3.puterz.net/   This is the website where you can get the most up to date information for most of the major SFC3 mods currently playing right now. 

If you are having problems connecting to the SFC3 Access Servers, you will have to make adjustments to your router, if you have one, and also probably disable any firewalls you have, or grant full access to SFC3 in your firewall settings, but sometimes your connection is still wonky if you have your firewall on.

Normally, when I get ready to fly a new campaign, I delete my old install and install the mod over a fresh install of the game, and I have to let the game try and connect to the access servers a couple times before it finally finds my IP.  If you haven't tried, just let the game attempt to connect and if/when it comes up with a box saying to input your IP addy, just shut down the game, restart, and connect to the D3 again.  For me this usually works like a charm.

About router settings, I can't help you there, but I know many D2 and D3 pilots fly online while using a router, and router settings for both D2 and D3 are pretty much the same.  Just post for help in these forums. 
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline S31-Riptide

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • Chaotic Network & SFC3.net
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 11:05:19 am »
Yes, lol we still play... and mod too!  Look through the forums here, there are a ton of threads on connecting and connection problems. 

Offline KBF-Netman

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 05:11:34 am »
yes, i play sfc3 from time to time, on the dyna and on gamespy

Offline worfhonour

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 11:46:44 am »
We sure do  ;D

Offline markyd

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 04:54:49 pm »
What a CRAZY question  :D

ROFL

Nah...        all jokes aside.... SFCIII has a large community... links already given  :)

xupd18plw

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 11:36:43 am »
Hello again.im asking for help.at the login screen it willnot connect to activision."my fire wall is off""norton is off"obviously my connection is good.Is the activision server down???--------I would be greatful for some help.

xupd18plw

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2007, 02:33:46 pm »
Hell nmall.ive been reading posts concerning logins.ive gone to another pc of wich i used to play,it does the same thing.i used to play the 464 and altB.would like to againTHNX :banghead:

Offline GFL Offkey

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • Galactic Foriegn Legion
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 09:03:43 pm »
check your router for ports that need opened. We have  had issues recently where acess servers were down for a few days usually on weekends.
If interested the GFL is updating thier mod to include harder missions and all new missions customized to our server by our group. Last dyna ran 1 year before a winner was declared without issues. No rollbacks no crashes. www.gfluniverse.net

Offline DIFJosh

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 12:27:49 pm »
we play everyday on gamespy me /Luc/Tf Medallion/Ghost and a bunch of others. We use 534B and Lost Wars Mod to play SFC3
You Heard it here first from your SFC3 Community Angel
DIFJosh 8)

Offline Andrael

• Ensign
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2007, 10:02:15 pm »
My directplay cant detect my IP. I opened all the ports that were mentioned in the help document, turned off NAT, even tried it with NAT on. Tried enabling ICS too. Nothing works, and I'm very frustrated. I go back to boarding school in a couple days and just want to play dyna for a bit before then. Suggestions anyone?

Offline GFL Offkey

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2007, 11:47:01 pm »
ports to open are as follow 2302 tcp and udp 2303 tcp and udp and 6303 tcp and udp if that doesnt work then use dmz

Offline Tuscarora

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2007, 03:30:44 pm »
Where can one obtain a copy of SFC3 these days???

Offline Majin

• Ensign
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2007, 08:35:29 pm »
I can tell you that getting a copy of SFC III Legally now adays is hit and miss... its not in any store. Your best bet would be garage sales or something like that... I had to download a hacked version for the past 3 years as I lost my original disc... Which I JUST found yesterday :D

Offline GFL Offkey

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2007, 12:58:01 am »
Ebay or do a google search lots of them for sale

Offline ts0716

• Ensign
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2009, 09:07:44 am »
how do u open router ports? cuz i have the same problem i cant play online it just times out

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2009, 11:12:49 am »
Read the network readme in the SFC3 start menu group. (note the ports are actually 2302,2303 and 6073 - there is a typo)

Take a look at this page:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/240429
SFC3 uses DirectX 8 directplay.
Disregard the advice to use UPnP.
(interesting - they have changed that page considerably in recent years - even the Dx8 port ranges have been modified... :skeptic:)

Figure out if you have a router. If so, get the full users manual (should be more than two pages) and read it.

Read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address
making particular note of this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address#Static_and_dynamic_IP_addresses
and this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Host_Configuration_Protocol
and this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network
and this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation
and this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Plug_and_Play (and understand why you want to disable it)

If you have a private IP address and do not have a router you will need to contact your ISP and tell them that you need to be connected to the internet - or explain the port-forwarding situation to them, and hope that the tech on the phone can comprehend.

Now if you are on an IPv6 network, I do not know what to tell you. I expect the game will not work.

Offline sgtslauter77

• Ensign
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2009, 02:17:34 pm »
does any1 still play sfc3 online and why cnt i connect to the server iv got the patch and lot but i cnt connect