Topic: Ben Affleck as Capt Kirk?!?! WTF?!  (Read 9024 times)

Offline AcePylut

• Captain
  • Bear Down, Chicago Bears
Re: Ben Affleck as Capt Kirk?!?! WTF?!
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2006, 08:43:19 pm »
Pearl Harbor sucked so bad no actor could have saved it.  Wait, I'm a P40 Pilot, no wait I'm a Spitfire pilot, no wait my P40 can outturn 5 A6M2's, no wait we'll shoot down those Zero's with shotguns, no wait I'm a coast guard rescue person that can work a blowtorch, no wait I'm a hospital helper, no wait I'm a B25 pilot, no wait I'm a daddy for my ex-girlfriend that mourned me for a whole 3 weeks before getting the bone from my best friend.  Should I continue?

If you care about the environment, it's better to eat a Salad in a Hummer than a Cheeseburger in a Prius.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Re: Rumor alert: Affleck seeking Trek XI role
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2006, 10:29:30 pm »
Well, seeing how some people avoid the H&S and since this is the Trek forum...

Which is why it was a two way crosslink.  The Hot and Spicey thread was also linked to here. 
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2006, 10:32:47 pm »
Thread A meet Thread B

DOH! Didn't see that one Nem.

Stephen

This was the first thread (which is why I called it thread A).  I crosslinked both so people would be aware that there were two threads.  Myself I would have preferred it to be in the Holodeck only. 
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2006, 11:58:04 pm »
Pearl Harbor sucked so bad no actor could have saved it.  Wait, I'm a P40 Pilot, no wait I'm a Spitfire pilot, no wait my P40 can outturn 5 A6M2's, no wait we'll shoot down those Zero's with shotguns, no wait I'm a coast guard rescue person that can work a blowtorch, no wait I'm a hospital helper, no wait I'm a B25 pilot, no wait I'm a daddy for my ex-girlfriend that mourned me for a whole 3 weeks before getting the bone from my best friend.  Should I continue?

Having worked the Speicher MIA case during the war, I can truely say that fact is- in this case- if not stranger than fiction, at least concurrent with it. ;)
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

762_XC

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2006, 01:01:29 am »
OMG, P40 = teh suxx0r

so does Ben Aflack btw

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2006, 08:24:11 am »
Thread A meet Thread B

DOH! Didn't see that one Nem.

Stephen

This was the first thread (which is why I called it thread A).  I crosslinked both so people would be aware that there were two threads.  Myself I would have preferred it to be in the Holodeck only. 

That's a good idea.

Pun, RatBoy, I went ahead and merged both topics here guys. I hope you don't mind.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2006, 10:20:08 am »
I think Bruce Willis could do an OK Kirk.
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2006, 10:26:00 am »
nah...Affleck will play Gary Mitchell....Everyone seems to forget about him... >:(
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2006, 10:36:20 am »
nah...Affleck will play Gary Mitchell....Everyone seems to forget about him... >:(

LOL, ok that cracked me up. Can Q be his daddy?

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Father Ted

• Starfleet Chaplain-Recalled to Active Duty
  • Lt. Commander
  • Next to Ted Williams in the freezer
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2006, 12:37:56 pm »
I think Bruce Willis could do an OK Kirk.

I think Willis would be great, but he's too old to play a young Kirk. If they had come up with this during his "Moonlighting" days back in the 80's..... :woot:

Captain: USS Majestik Moose NCC-1712

"Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts." -Cicero
"Superman wears Jack Bauer jammies."-Anonymous
"Better to fight for something than live for nothing." -George S. Patton

Offline GDA-S'Cipio

• Brucimus Maximus
  • Captain
  • If I took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy.
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2006, 11:42:17 pm »

I think Ben Affleck can do some fine acting work.  Back when he was constantly working with Mat Damon he did some good stuff.  He also did well in Boiler Room (small part) and Daredevil.  (Hey!   I *liked* Daredevil!)  He was also great in Changing Lanes with Samuel Jackson.

Unfortunately, most of his recent films -- Gigli, Pearl Harbor, and that awful Christmas movie -- have sucked big time.    So either he has a lousy agent, or he makes lousy decisions on which movies to sign to.

You guys are right about Kirk though.   Even though I think he can do a fine job as an actor, he does not seem right for Kirk.  I think Lt Q is onto something with his Gary Mitchell suggestion.

-S'Cipio
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."  - James Madison (chief author of the Constitution)

-----------------------------------------
Gorn Dragon Alliance member
Gorn Dragon Templar
Coulda' used a little more cowbell
-----------------------------------------

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2006, 12:21:58 am »
You know, the more I think about it, the more I think Matt Damon would make a good Mitchell.  Affleck would make a very good Finnigan though.  ;D
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2006, 04:35:21 pm »
I have no problem with Affleck as a Captain, but then again I like Sum of All Fears too.  I think it would be awesome if they made a movie out of Red Rabbit.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline Villa64

• NCC-64E
  • Captain
  • Knuckle Dragger
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2006, 07:19:03 pm »
I think it would be great if Affleck played Roger Rabbit.
Engaging the precious snowflakes of the world.

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2006, 01:28:40 am »
Ben Affleck sucked as Ryan. Harrison Ford was and is the only actor in Hollywood suitable for that role. His character seems to match Ryan's: simple, average... the kind of guy that stumbled into greatness and upon who's sholders it rests uneasily.

Likewise, I don't think Affleck could ever play a decent Kirk.
He doesn't capture the air of arrogance, pride, and strength that marked the young Kirk. Affleck also has a bit to much of the 'pretty boy' inherant in his self to get it out of his characters- that would go a long way towards killing Kirk. Jim Kirk was many things, but he was no more a 'pretty boy' than he was a Boy Scout.

This is one of those times when a studio should head out into the lands of Fandom and seek out new tallent to fill the roles.
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2006, 07:14:45 am »

He doesn't capture the air of arrogance, pride, and strength that marked the young Kirk.

Crap.. this is a Tom Cruise role isn't it?
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Father Ted

• Starfleet Chaplain-Recalled to Active Duty
  • Lt. Commander
  • Next to Ted Williams in the freezer
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2006, 12:15:03 pm »

He doesn't capture the air of arrogance, pride, and strength that marked the young Kirk.

Nah, Cruise is too weird. My first choice would be Keifer Sutherland, but Jack Bauer is a little too old for the part(speaking of which, Jack hasn't killed anybody in the last couple of episodes, he's slipping  :2gun:). MATT DAMON! is a little too soft-pedaled to be a convincing Kirk. Affleck would be a disaster. Edward Burns, who looks like Affleck, but can actually act, would be a decent choice as would Trey Parker...  :lol: :carmen:

Captain: USS Majestik Moose NCC-1712

"Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts." -Cicero
"Superman wears Jack Bauer jammies."-Anonymous
"Better to fight for something than live for nothing." -George S. Patton

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2006, 01:31:30 pm »

NOTHING is a Tom Cruise role, Dracho.

We need someone like Tom Berenger- he's EXTREMELY versitile... look at the different types of roles he has played well. And as for his ability to suprise you with his ability to avoid being typecast, look at his preformance in 'Rough Riders' as Teddy Roosevelt.

Can YOU picture Berringer as Roosevelt?
I couldn't... till he played the character to a tee.

Not sure who we could get as a young Kirk... Joshua Jackson has the right look, but I'm not sure that he has the right ATTITUDE.

Of course, since he's been picked up a couple of times for Drunken Disorderly, Public Intox and Assault... well, maybe he COULD play a young Kirk after all

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2006, 02:41:47 pm »
He might be too old, but based on his Master & Commander role, I think Russell Crowe could do a decent Kirk.

el-Karnak

« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2006, 02:47:39 pm »
I want Stephen Colbert for Captain Kirk!! :P

"Reality has a liberal bias." :lol: