Topic: ST: Tigermoth - Return Of The Andromedans  (Read 70518 times)

Offline KOTH-KieranXC, Ret.

• Spokesman, Punisher Industries
  • Lt. Commander
  • K-Fo, diehard SFCer and Taldrenite, est. 2000
Re: ST: Tigermoth - Return Of The Andromedans
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2006, 11:14:20 am »
Most of my friends are taller than me, the bastards. That's why. ;)
"One minute to space doors."

"Are you just going to walk through them?"

"Calm yourself, Doctor."

Offline CaptJosh

• Lt.
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2006, 02:54:19 pm »
Ok, since you folks are here. Would someone besides the Guv please comment on my most recent chapter. The topic title is "When the Going Gets Tough..." Chapter 6 has been up for a while now and the Guv is the only one who has said so much as "boo" about it.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline James Smith

• Powered By Caffeine™
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Very silly indeed!
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2006, 10:28:02 am »
MORE FIC!!!!!! Well, sort-of. Just another short section, trying to get back into the rhythm properly  ;D

Chapter 3 -  War (part 1)

USS Tigermoth-A
19th March 2395
2235hrs EST
Bridge

"No response fom the lead Andromedan ship sir." Riggs frowned in concentration, trying to pick useful comm. chatter out of the mess of signals in subspace. "Shall I try the transpace link?"

Smithy nodded. "Go ahead. Elkins, attack pattern Moth Alpha Three. Drelkar, how are we doing on the weapons front?"

"Phasers warm, but operating within spec. We still have plenty of torpedoes left."

"Good. Winchester, fleet status?"

"We have reinforcements coming in now from the Klingons sir." Winchester scanned his screen. "Looks like the Andromedans are falling back off us a bit....in fact they definitely are. They're cloaking."

Lisa made her way over to his console and looked over his shoulder. "Plot their course if you can, see if we can get a general idea of where they'll be hiding."

"Yes ma'am."

Smithy looked up at her. "What d'you think?"

Lisa came back down into the command area. "Time to send in the scout ships? Maybe we'll get lucky. If the scouts find anything then we could have every ship we have now standing by to engage. If they don't find anything, then we take a breather and get more ships ready."

"Sounds like a plan. Riggs, tell all personnel to stand down from Red Alert. Get me the Mortum Hesta."

"Aye sir.....Captain Thulinuk on the screen."

"Good evening Smithy. Your intervention was right on time."

"Always know how to make an entrance." Smithy grinned at his friend. "We're currently working up a plan of action for the next stage of proceedings. I've got my Ops guy plotting various courses that they could have followed so we can send in the scouts."

"We can have several wings of D14s here to co-ordinate with your forces."

"Cheers, I'll let our teams know. You in need of any repairs?"

"No. We do need some time for shield regen and to let our weapons cool down, but we intend to hold position here, just in case something happens."

Smithy nodded. "Alright. Tigermoth out." He turned to the helm. "Elkins, lay in a course for the co-ordinates Maxwell gave us for the SOD meeting station. Engage, Transwarp speed."

SOD Station 641Alpha
2345hrs EST
Command Level

"What time do you call this, Captain?!"

Commodore Ellis stomped out into the command centre, a snarl etched on his features. "I was in bed! I was enjoying being in bed! You better have a damn good reason for getting me up!"

Ghelev patiently waited for him to stop ranting. "The Tigermoth is here. Captain Smith's ship. You know, one of the people who may just be able to save us from complete oblivion. Sir."

Ellis narrowed his eyes. "Alright, what the hell does the good Starfleet officer want?"

"All available ships. Starfleet are sending scouts in to find the Andromedan fleet, they want a taskforce ready to engage as soon as the Andromedans come out of hiding."

"He can't have any. We aren't done testing all the new equipment, we barely have skeleton crews."

"We have several ships we can send out right now, sir. I've checked it with their engineering crews. And my ship stands ready."

Ellis shook his head. "No, Captain. SOD will send out ships when they are good and ready, and I say we aren't readt. Is that clear?"

"Crystal, sir."

USS Tigermoth-A
0005 hrs EST

"Okay Ghelev, thanks. I'll be over in a few minutes."

Smithy waved at Riggs to close the comm link, and turned to Lisa. "You fancy coming along? Watch the master at work?"

Lisa grinned. "No way. If I go along I'll feel obliged to restrain you, and that'd only make you grumpy."

"Fair enough. If I'm not back in twenty minutes, wait longer."

SOD Station 641Alpha
0015hrs EST
Command Level

The transporter effect had barely cleared his eyes before Smithy was stepping off the platform. "Morning Ghelev, hope I'm keeping your boss up."

Ghelev shook his hand. "Follow me, he's stewing in his office."

Commodore's Office

Ellis looked up from his computer. "Ah, the great Captain Smith. I thought Ghelev had made my position clear to you."

"He did." Smithy sat, and grinned at Ellis. "However, I'm not sure that my position was made clear, so I'm here to do it in person."

"Oh? And what is your position, Captain?"

"Well, it's quite simple." He leaned forward. "You have fifteen ships here that can be made battle ready in the next hour. You will get all available engineering teams together for that task, and get them crewed. You will then send them out to the Barrier Zone."

Ellis started to pale under the full force of The Look. "W-what makes you think I'll do that?"

Command Level
0020hrs EST

"That went well."

Smithy strolled towards the transporter. Ghelev eyed him curiously. "You threatened him with a photon grenade!"

"Like I said, that went well. Been ages since I was able to bring one of these props out." He pulled the arming pin out and handed the grenade to Ghelev. "Rubber, with some flashing lights and a power cell imbedded in it. Remarkably effective negotiation tool."

The two men stopped by the transporter pad. Ghelev shook his head. "He'll be calling the President as we speak."

"Let him. I've got bigger things to worry about than Maxwell." Smithy frowned. "Watch your back Ghelev. Something's brewing, and it smells worse than the coffee at DS4. If I were you, I'd leave here right now."

RIMMER: Step up to Red Alert.
KRYTEN: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.

Offline James Smith

• Powered By Caffeine™
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Very silly indeed!
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2006, 03:50:58 pm »
Little bit more for y'all....

Chapter 3 -  War (part 2)

SOD Station 641Alpha
20th March 2395
0840hrs EST
Commodore's Office

Ellis paced about nervously, waiting for the comm link to establish. I'm done for....there is no way he will let me live.

The computer chimed up. "Link established." He dropped into his chair and activated the screen. "Mr President?"

"What can I do for you Ellis?"

"Sir, I have to inform you....Captain Smith was here several hours ago. He has taken control of a number of ships here, they have headed out to the Barrier Zone."

"I see....this is most disappointing."

"Sir, he threatened me with a photon grenade!"

Maxwell's image wore a thin smile at that. "Ah, the rubber grenade. One of his many negotiating tools."

Ellis' face had begun to redden. "Rubber?!"

"Don't feel too bad Ellis, many people have been caught out by him using that old trick. Did you deal with Ghelev?"

"Captain Ghelev seems to have....disappeared, sir. His ship left here apparently un-noticed, I have my best people running through our sensor logs now....but...."

"Very well Commodore. I shall have to deal with that later. What is the status of the rest of our ships with you?"

Ellis shifted nervously. "We estimate that they require another day of system integration tests, Mr President....the new weapons arrays are taking some getting used to."

"Good. Continue your work, I will be arriving to take charge of those ships in two days." The screen winked off, Maxwell's image replaced by the SOD logo.

Ellis breathed a sigh of relief. Maybe I'll live through this after all....

USS Tigermoth-A
0840hrs EST
Bridge

"You still here Riggs?"

Riggs turned to see Lisa leave the turbolift. "I had some calibration work to do on the transpace communications array ma'am, figured I ought to do it while we were at Condition Green."

"Rare event." Lisa studied the tactical plot on the main viewscreen. "Klingons have nearly finished their search pattern, no joy. Damn."

"We have scouts a little way further out Commander. Maybe one of them will find something."

Lisa frowned. "I'm not holding my breath. Andromedan cloaking devices are much better than anything any of the Alpha and Beta quadrant powers have, aside from the phase cloak of course."

She turned as Riggs' console chirped up. "Message from the Klingon lead scout ship, they have something. A dust cloud, with strange readings coming from inside it. They want a cruiser there to investigate."

Lisa nodded. Always nice to be pleasantly surprised. "Right. Get a full compliment of bridge officers up here." She tapped her comm badge. "Bridge to Captain Smith. You better get up here honey, the Klingons found something for us to take a look at."

"On my way up."

Officers began filling up the bridge, taking their consoles and getting settled back in. Smithy walked in, clutching a couple of coffee cups. "If you're wondering, they're both for me. Meds have knocked me for six."

Lisa's face wore a look of concern. "Look, if you want to take some time out to try and get recharged then I'll be okay up here."

"No, no....I want to see what this is all about." Smithy drained one cup of coffee and threw the empty into a storage bin next to the turbolift. "Helm, you have the co-ordinates?"

"Yes sir."

"Then get out there. Riggs, get me Thulinuk."

"Onscreen sir."

"Good morning Smithy. We are heading out to the location of our scouts now."

"Okay Thulinuk. We'll meet you there." He turned to Ops. "Sensor status?"

Winchester turned to face him. "Main and secondary sensor arrays are up and ready to begin scanning this cloud, high resoution mode. Tertiary sensor systems will be left for proximity detectors, just in case something decloaks nearby while I'm focussing on other things."

"Good." Smithy sat back and sipped at his coffee. Something was nagging at him.

"Do you feel it?"

He turned to Lisa. "What did you say hon?"

Lisa stared at him. "Something....I can feel something is about to happen."

Smithy stared back at his wife. That's pretty odd, even by this Universe's standards. "You're getting the same feelings I do? Flashes of insight, some kind of pre-cognitive vision?"

"I....I don't know....I mean...." She frowned. "Guess this is how you felt the first time it happened."

"Pretty much, yeah." Smithy held her hands in his. "Winchester, when we get to the cloud I want you to-"

"-direct a focussed sensor sweep on the lower right quadrant." Lisa finished. "That was right, wasn't it?"

"Yeah. That was right. Winchester?"

Winchester nodded back. "Affirmative."

"Approaching cloud." Elkins half-turned. "Bringing us to full-stop."

"Winchester, initiate sweep." Lisa stood, staring at the tactical plot up on the screen. "Right there...."

Offline Scottish Andy

• First Officer of the Good Ship Kusanagi
  • Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2006, 09:37:45 am »
Hi Smithy! Another great installment. I really love your dialogue:

This kinda stuff keeps me coming back. That and the fact of your good characters--if not exactly in the wholesome TNG style we all know and sigh about. *grin*
Come visit me at:  www.Starbase23.net

The Senior Service rocks! Rule, Britannia!

The Doctor: "Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink."
Mickey: "Wot's that?"
The Doctor: "No idea. Just made it up. Didn't want to say 'Magic Door'."
- Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

Offline James Smith

• Powered By Caffeine™
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Very silly indeed!
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2006, 12:28:08 pm »
Hi Smithy! Another great installment. I really love your dialogue:

This kinda stuff keeps me coming back. That and the fact of your good characters--if not exactly in the wholesome TNG style we all know and sigh about. *grin*

Yeah, never really got the "wholesome" thing. TNG and beyond, characters were prortrayed in a way that I didn't find all that real, aside from the odd exception. In the case of this fic, we have people here who are fighting for their lives (and the lives of everyone in the damn galaxy right now.....) and being screwed by a bureaucracy that really only cares about itself. There comes a point where, instead of getting angry about it (which they do as well, but let us leave that one aside for a second), they start to behave the same way that Hawkeye Pierce did in M*A*S*H - they make fun of it, they joke about it, and for the most part they don't talk seriously about it. Despite all the crap, all the adversity, all the battles that he has seen, Smithy (the character) does hold on to that very Human sense of humour regarding his situation. Ironic, considering that he isn't entirely Human....

Anyway, Smithy (the real person) will be posting more soon hopefully. Starting to get back into the swing of things now. Hope y'all are enjoying it  ;D

Offline Grim Reaper

• The 4th Horseman, the Lord of Death
  • Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2006, 11:13:18 am »
you bet!
Snickers@DND: If there is one straight answer in that bent little head of yours, you'd better start spillin' it pretty damn quick, or I'm gonna take a large, blunt object, roughly the size of Kallae AND his hat and shove it lengthwise up a crevice of your being so seldomly cleaned that even the denizens of the nine hells would not touch it with a 10-feet rusty pole

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2006, 11:35:48 pm »
Darn right I'm enjoying! I was slow to get in on it for a while, but am growing ever more fond.

Never saw TNG's crew as wholesome. More like creepy and sureal. All those pastels on the bridge and the space-hooker at Picard's left... or...right too, come to think about it. And the Klingon who loved everything about being Klingon but was raised by humans... After seeing the Elian Gonzalez thing, I figure Janet Reno or whoever would have Worf foceibly removed from Earth and sent back to Qo'noS.

So far as crew's I liked, 2 of the series had it going for me. TOS and ENT. Not a character I didn't like outta either.

But I don't mean to turn your story page into a thread, here. Lemme just say again, bravo and please bring more on!

--the guv!
'It's a lot of hard work being a mean bastard...' --Captain Eric Finlander, CO USS Bedford (The Bedford Incident)

'Jaken...are you pretending to be dead?' --Lord Sesshomaru, Inuyasha.

Offline James Smith

• Powered By Caffeine™
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Very silly indeed!
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2007, 10:55:29 am »
Been far too long again hasn't it? Got to stop doing that  ;D

Just a veeeeery short bit to finish off Chapter 3. Really am going to try and get back to doing this for a while, as I could use the diversion from a few things that are going on in my life right now.

Chapter 3 - War (part 3)

USS Tigermoth-A
20th March 2395
0854hrs EST
Bridge

"Anything?"

Winchester scanned through the reams of data coming in. "Definitely, ma'am. But what it is....I can't tell you." He glanced up from his console. "The dust cloud is playing havok with our equipment, even if we went into the cloud we'd never get the scanner resolution required to tell us what's going on in there."

Smithy frowned at the tactical plot, then turned to Lisa. "I've got nothing. Judging by the look on your face, neither have you."

Lisa nodded. "Just that brief flash." She shook her head. "Something is still nagging at me though."

"That would be common-or-garden paranoia. Trust me, I've been in this situation for a long time." Smithy stood, and turned to Winchester. "New plan. You have a rough idea where those readings are coming from in there right?"

"Yes, sir. To within approximately fourteen kilometers."

"Right. Tractor beam. Use it like a....like a cocktail stick. See if you can stab anything with it."

Winchester started quizzically at his CO. "That one in the manual sir?"

"Page 84. Look it up sometime, comes under the heading of 'Daft Stuff That David Harriman Came Up With'. We used to use a similar trick during the Dominion War."

Winchester turned back to his console. "Engaging tractor, I'm going to move across the area in hundred metre increments horizontally along the Galactic plane, then move up fifty metres and do the same."

"Sounds good." Smithy sat back down, rubbing absently at his knee. He caught the eyes of his wife and several crewmembers looking at him in concern, tossing them a 'don't say a word' glance.

Lisa wasn't deterred. "Look, if you want to go stomp around the ship for a while to get some circulation back, I'll hold the fort up here."

"I'll be alright. Think my system's caught up to all those meds, starting to have less of an effect." Smithy glanced over to Ops. "Winchester?"

"Nothing yet sir."

A tense silence descended over the bridge, save for the soft hum of the ship's systems and the odd blip from Winchester's console. Everyone looked nervous, except for Smithy who simply scowled at the main screen with his arms folded. He was used to this kind of tension.

"Sir, got something! Energy readings are increasing!"

Smithy snapped into action, jumping to his feet. "Red alert. Shields to maximum, weapons charged. Elkins, back us away from the cloud."

Everyone stared at the screen as Andromedan vessels slowly emerged. Lisa glanced up at Smithy. "That's a lot of ships."

"Winchester?"

Winchester turned from his Ops console. "Reading over a hundred signatures. Fourty of those are dreadnought sized."

Smithy shot a glance back to Riggs. "Send out the call. I want every ship we have in the area out here to engage this lot."

Riggs set to work. "Aye sir.....receiving acknowledgments from Klingon taskforce and our ships."

"Still leaves us outnumbered." Lisa turned to Riggs. "Send a message back to Antares on the transpace link. We're going to need those ships soon."

"Yes ma'am."

Drelkar turned from his console. "Klingon taskforce is forming up. Starfleet and SOD ships taking up positions."

"Standby on weapons. Elkins, head straight at them on my mark, full impulse. Riggs, tie me into the fleet channel."

"You're on audio."

Smithy sat back down, and stabbed at the comm panel on his chair. "This is Captain Smith. All Klingon ships, follow us in close. Starfleet and SOD forces, hand back in a fire support role, lay down a torpedo barrage. Make sure that those Andromedan ships stay pegged back, don't let them get around us."

"All ships acknowledging, sir."

"Elkins, mark!" The Andromedan ships swelled on the screen. "Drelkar, fire!"

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2007, 11:11:22 am »
Very good!  Now, can we not wait 4 months between installments?  :P
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline James Smith