Topic: ST: Tigermoth - Return Of The Andromedans  (Read 70506 times)

Offline James Smith

• Powered By Caffeine™
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Very silly indeed!
ST: Tigermoth - Return Of The Andromedans
« on: May 06, 2006, 12:47:47 pm »
Author’s note – This story takes place a few years after the events of “Silent Enemy”. And unlike most Tigermoth fics - no weapons are fired in the opening post  ;D  How long d'you suppose that's going to last.....

Prologue

USS Thor
SOD-322
1210hrs Earth Standard Time
2nd March 2395

"We're entering visual range, captain. No indication that the intruder has spotted us."

"I want a quick scan, and then we get out of here." The captain turned to Tactical. "You have a match on that configuration yet?"

"Negative. Doesn't match anything in our database."

"Widen to include old TacFleet memory banks, Starfleet and Federation allied databases."

"Aye sir." The tactical officer set to work for a few minutes. "Uh, sir?"

"What is it?"

The officer swallowed. "No exact match found sir, but it's very similar to this."

The captain stared at it, the colour draining from his face. "Uh oh." He spun around to face the helm. "Take us out of here. Maximum warp!"

USS Tigermoth-A
Bridge
0236hrs EST
14th March 2395

The doors opened, and Commander Lisa Smith stepped out onto the bridge. It was very quiet, the soft hum of the ship’s systems present in the background as ever. The graveyard shift was on duty, and on a slow post-refit cruise like this that meant boredom for the officers who were on the consoles. So it was not all that surprising that she’d been called to the bridge by the young ensign at Communications. First message in days and blind panic sets in. “What is it Riggs?”

The young woman turned. “A message from Starfleet Command, ma’am.”

A twinge of annoyance pulled at Lisa’s face. “I’d guessed that much Riggs. It’s hard not to spot the Starfleet logo on your screen. So what does the message say?”

“They would like a word with the captain. It’s been labelled Priority Code 1, so I figured it must be fairly important. But….”

“But you didn’t want to wake him. I can understand that. He’s not in a desperately good mood at the moment.” Lisa’s smile faded into a frown. “Priority 1…..they probably ran out of biscuits at a Starbase nearby.”

“Ma’am?”

Lisa shook her head. “Ignore me, just having an internal rant at the people we work for.” She glanced down in surprise as the console beeped. “Are they calling again?”

“Yes ma’am.” Riggs’ hands flew over the keypad. “Admiral David Harriman calling from the Antares shipyards. He would like a word with the captain.”

“Patch it through to our quarters.” Lisa hurried off the bridge. Dave wouldn’t be calling at this hour if it wasn’t important. Probably not biscuits then.

Captain’s Quarters

“Dave? At this hour?”

Captain James Smith crossed quickly over to the desk, and activated the computer panel. The screen popped up, awaiting authorization to tie in to the communications system. “Authorisation Smith-2-4-1-Alpha.” The screen lit up, the Federation seal appearing and then being quickly replaced with the image of his friend and former CO. “What time of day d’you call this?”

It’s nice to see you too.” David Harriman stared at his former chief engineer. “You’re looking pretty good Smithy, all things considered.”

“Cheers. Not looking too bad yourself.” Smithy flashed a quick ‘thank-you’ smile at his wife as she handed him a mug of coffee, and then returned his attention to the screen. “Things are settling down here now we've got everything repaired after the last refit. How are things at the Antares yards?

They’re ticking over. Production is up this month, looks like we’re going to meet our great and glorious President’s targets.” The sarcasm didn’t just drip from his words, it practically poured. He grinned apologetically. “Sorry. I usually just bottle up that frustration.”

Smithy returned the grin. “I understand. You hear about my last run in with the dictator?”

I saw the damage to the bar at headquarters. I was told you had something to do with it.”

“Not my most professional moment.” Smithy caught Lisa rolling her eyes at him and blew an apologetic kiss in her direction. “It’s come down to a battle of wills. He knows it would be lousy PR to kick me out of the fleet or demote me, and he can’t promote me as I’d have too much power then. I think he’s hoping that I’ll resign my commission soon.”

Is there any chance of that?” Harriman looked slightly alarmed at the thought.

“I doubt it.” Smithy sat back and contemplated for a second. “What else could I do with my life? Can you see me as a diplomat? Bollocks to that….no, I think I’ll be spending a while in this job yet.”

I see.” The relief was evident in Harriman’s voice. “Listen, the reason I called....”

“Was wondering when you’d be getting to it.”

Special Operations Division came calling the other day.”

“Ah.” Smithy flashed a quick look at Lisa. “What did the silly SODs want?”

They wanted opinions from former TacFleet officers about some sensor logs. Ordinarily I’d have told them where to go, but I think you ought to see this.”

In a flash, Harriman’s image was replaced by that of a standard Starfleet sensor log. Smithy leaned forward and stared at it, his breath catching in his throat. “When....when was this scan taken? And where?” Lisa stood behind him, reading the data in disbelief.

It was out by the Barrier Zone. 12 days ago. You’d have thought that they might have given us notice a little earlier really. I would have dismissed it as a fake, but the Klingons spotted a similar vessel yesterday.” Harriman’s image returned to the screen. “Of all the things we didn’t need right now, this has to rank right up there.”

Smithy slumped back in his chair. “Are there any indications of a build up? Any sign of an imminent attack?”

No and no, which is why SOD is assuming that there is a build up and it is for an imminent attack.”

Lisa pulled up a chair and sat down slowly. “Is Starfleet invited to this party, or is SOD going it alone?”

They’ve told Command to keep all Starfleet vessels away from the Barrier Zone.”

“So…Andromedans.” Lisa slumped back in her chair.

Andromedans.” Harriman echoed, sighing.

“Andromedans.” Smithy’s face scrunched up into a scowl.

RIMMER: Step up to Red Alert.
KRYTEN: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
Re: ST: Tigermoth - Return Of The Andromedans
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 09:07:54 am »
Welcome Back Mr. Smith!
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline James Smith

• Powered By Caffeine™
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Very silly indeed!
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 02:00:28 pm »
Welcome Back Mr. Smith!

Cheers  ;D

Went hunting this morning for some pictures I remembered seeing on the internet at some point in the past. When I was writing the first story in the Tigermoth universe WickedZombie finished his first model of a TNG refit Constitution class called the USS Valiant, and he made up some Tigermoth registries for it so I could fly 'my' ship in SFC. Since then (in the fics) the ship has been refitted quite heavily, and I'd gone looking for something that I remembered seeing a loooooong while ago:

This is Dennis Bailey's USS Concord - a conjectural TNG era refit/redesign of the Constitution class. If you can imagine the secondary hull, pylons and nacelles of this model with a saucer closer in shape to WickedZombie's Valiant model (see below), then that's the ship that I see in my mind when I write about the Tigermoth.

USS Valiant by WZ:

Offline James Smith

• Powered By Caffeine™
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Very silly indeed!
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2006, 07:38:37 pm »
Chapter 1 - Reunion (Part 1)

USS Tigermoth-A
Bridge
16th March 2395
1025hrs EST

"Course laid in, sir."

Smithy glanced up from his PADD. "Engage, transwarp speed. I have no intention of not being the first there." That raised some smiles from the crew around him.

And they've been in short supply since the news came in. He resisted the urge to get up and wander around, knowing how much it bothered people when he showed any signs of tension. His crew knew what a disturbed captain meant - that serious trouble was brewing, and that they were going to be a part of it. He preferred to keep that tension bottled up and out of the way, only letting it show when he was with his close friends. He couldn't hide it from them. Or his wife.

Lisa glanced over at him, and then checked the bridge chronometer. "Well, we've got about an hour before we'll reach Antares. You had breakfast yet?"

Smithy visibly brightened at the mention of breakfast. "Sounds like a plan. Riggs, keep my chair warm." He departed, holding hands with Lisa.

Riggs watched the pair go, and self-consciously sat in the centre chair. Ensign Winchester half-turned from his position over at Ops. "Now that looks weird."

"What's that?"

"You sat in the big chair."

Riggs threw him a dirty look. "Hopefully I won't be here for long. He knows that I don't like this, why does he keep doing it?"

Winchester grinned. "You went through the Command path at the Academy. You must have wanted it at some point in your life."

Riggs stood and crossed over to his console. "Maybe, before I found out just what it means to be sat there. You took the test didn't you?"

"Which, the Maru?"

She frowned. "No, the other one."

Winchester sighed. "Oh. That one. Yeah, I took it. Pretty graphic....and I haven't found anyone who passed it yet. Mind you, rumour has it that the captain passed it....never been able to find out for sure though."

Riggs stared at the viewscreen, watching the rainbow streaks of particles getting smeared by the ship's transwarp fields. "I took it five times. I even got hold of a modified copy of KIRK-KM.sim re-written for the different test."

"You use it?"

"No. Opened it up, examined what it did. I'd already tried it on my first attempt." She shook her head. "I nearly quit because of that test. The only thing that stopped me was the instructor telling me that it was beatable."

"How was that any better than being beaten by a no-win scenario like the Maru?"

Riggs shrugged. "I don't like unfair tests. If it was beatable and I lost, then fine. But putting us through a completely un-winnable test like that one....I can accept it with the Maru as that’s so obviously un-winnable that the impact is lessened."

Winchester stared up at her thoughtfully. "Things like that do happen in real life you know."

"Well, if I do face a no-win situation then no amount of practice is going to change things is it?" With that, Riggs crossed back to the chair and sat down, her gaze never leaving the viewscreen.

IKV Mortum Hesta
Bridge
16th March 2395
1025hrs EST

"Co-ordinates received sir. Course is plotted, engines are at standby."

Thulinuk glanced back as Sheehan entered the bridge, gingerly picking his way over a mass of exposed cables. "Watch your step. I don't want to have to dig you out from under that lot."

Sheehan looked around the bridge. "You planning on getting this little lot fixed at the Antares yard?"

"Harriman offered. It’s better than waiting six weeks for Tykor station to do the work." He turned to face Sheehan. "You received your message from Earth?"

"Yeah, cheers for relaying it. My niece just finished her final exams at the Academy, she was letting me know how it went."

Thulinuk returned his gaze to the datascreen in front of him. "The son of a family friend is going through the Starfleet training program. He found one particular test outcome hard to accept."

"The Maru?"

"No, the other one."

"Oh. That one." Sheehan grinned in fond memory. "We nearly destroyed a holodeck once running that with the safeties disabled by accident."

"Did you beat it?"

"Nah. But I know someone who did."

USS Tigermoth-A
Mess Hall
16th March 2395
1105hrs EST

Lisa stared out of the observation windows as the ship raced along towards Antares. She turned as Smithy pushed a mug of tea towards her. "Thanks."

Smithy sipped at his own large mug of coffee. "Orlatrel just handed me the figures for this month, looks like we're finally running within Starfleet's fuel allowance."

"That'll please the Admiralty, right up until they come to visit and find that you've been falsifying the records."

"Massaging the figures, there is a difference you know." Smithy gazed at her. "You look really pretty with your hair like that."

Lisa smiled. "I was going to change it back to how I had it before."

"That's okay, you look really pretty with it like that as well." The two leant in over the table for a kiss that was interrupted by Smithy's comm. badge beeping at them. "Bridge to Captain Smith."

Smithy rolled his eyes in exasperation. "I do wish the universe would leave me alone when I'm busy. Smith here."

Riggs' voice filtered through the comm. system. "Sorry to interrupt your breakfast sir, but we're approaching the Antares system."

"Go to impulse, head straight for the main base." The pair got up and headed out the door, Smithy pausing to grab another coffee out of the replicator on the way out. He had the feeling that he might need all the caffeine he could get today.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 08:07:40 pm by James Smith »

Offline Grim Reaper

• The 4th Horseman, the Lord of Death
  • Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 02:33:55 am »
I didn't welcome you back did I. Dude welcome back. and since you've such a nice posting interval, I'm going to excuse your hiatus ;)
Snickers@DND: If there is one straight answer in that bent little head of yours, you'd better start spillin' it pretty damn quick, or I'm gonna take a large, blunt object, roughly the size of Kallae AND his hat and shove it lengthwise up a crevice of your being so seldomly cleaned that even the denizens of the nine hells would not touch it with a 10-feet rusty pole

Offline James Smith

• Powered By Caffeine™
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Very silly indeed!
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 07:03:01 am »
Cheers Grim  ;D

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 12:25:47 pm »
Andromedans.

You have my attention.

Carry on ;D
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline James Smith

• Powered By Caffeine™
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Very silly indeed!
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 08:27:19 pm »
Chapter 1 - Reunion (Part 2)

Antares Shipyard Command Post
Operations Centre
16th March 2395
1135hrs EST

Harriman leant against the rail running around the perimeter of the room, watching the semi-organised chaos that marked a typical day at the Antares yards. Never a dull moment here, that's for sure.

He strolled over to the scanner board, which reported the positions of all the ships in the Antares system. One ship was heading in that the computer didn't recognise. Harriman knew which that ship would be. You're going to have to get that warp signature registered at some point Smithy, or Starfleet will make good on their threats regarding your career....PR damage notwithstanding. He glanced over at the communications console. "When the Tigermoth arrives, get them docked at Port 1."

"Aye sir."

Harriman headed for the turbolift, tapping his comm. badge as he walked. "Commander Harrison, report to Conference Room 1A."
Habitat Module

Commander Kyle Harrison glanced up as Harriman's voice filtered through the comm. system. "On my way sir." He returned his attention to the screen. "I have to go."

"I understand. Do your duty."

Harrison shut down the terminal, stood and headed for the door. He paused to grab his uniform jacket off it's hook and glance in the mirror. Yes, I'll do my duty. You can count on me Mr President.

Conference Room 1A

"Hello Dave."

Harriman turned, and grinned as Lisa strolled into the room. "Hey." He grabbed her in a short hug. "Been a while."

"Too long." Lisa moved out of the doorway to let other officers into the room. "James sends his apologies, he's going to be a little late. He wanted a few minutes planetside to....well, you know."

"Yeah. I know." Harriman sighed. "Is he getting any better?"

"Well, it's been a few months since he last cursed at power conduits that didn't deserve it." Lisa shook her head, then shrugged. "He said to start without him anyway. Besides, he probably knows what you're going to say."

"I wish he'd tell me then, I haven't got a clue."

Antares B II
Goltaka Garden
1155hrs EST

Smithy limped through the garden, barely noticing the beauty around him. The Goltaka region was known throughout the Federation as being spectacular at this time of year, but he wasn't here for the scenery. He was here to visit the resting place of an old friend.

He reached the clearing, finding it exactly as he'd left it when he'd come here the last time. A simple gravestone, with a name inscribed on it. A low wall running around the grave in a circle. He sat on the wall, and stared at the gravestone. The inscription was simple, and to the point. It simply said 'Mack'.

"Hey Mack." Smithy absently rubbed at his aching knee, a legacy of the damage he received in his final deadly confrontation with Robert Metcalf. Damage that had been minimised by the timely intervention of the surgeon buried in the grave here. "Still giving me bother. That treatment you developed though, it really does help."

Tears welled up in his eyes, and he angrily rubbed them away. "Sorry. I know you'd be the first in line to kick me for crying over you." The tears persisted though, and began rolling down his cheeks. "I know you live on inside the Nexus, and I know you had a damn good innings....and I can't figure out why none of that is any god damn comfort!" He pounded a fist on the wall a couple of times, and dried his eyes on the sleeve of his uniform. Some steadiness returned to his voice. "I miss you old friend. I have to go know, the galaxy needs saving again. Wish me luck."

Antares Shipyard Command Post
1230hrs EST

"I'd like to thank you all for making it here on short notice." Harriman stood at the head of the long table, and glanced down to his right at Thulinuk and Sheehan. "Especially those of us who have better things to be doing than making trips from Klingon space."

A quick laugh rippled down the table, which the two men acknowledged with a nod. Sheehan grinned up at his former captain. "That's quite alright Admiral. All's quiet on the Romulan front right now anyway."

"As you're all aware, a Special Operations starship took sensor images of an Andromedan ship in the Barrier Zone earlier this month. I believe similar sightings have occurred in Klingon space?"

Thulinuk nodded slowly. "Ships in a configuration similar to known Andromedan designs have been sighted along the Galactic Barrier, towards the Federation border. The Klingon DSF has been put on alert, any further sightings will be reported to Starfleet."

Harriman continued the briefing. "Considering that the last reported sighting of an Andromedan vessel was in 2355, and that their ships were more than a match for Starfleet's best back then, we're assuming the worst regarding their tactical capabilities."

Harrison regarded Harriman with a confused look. "I wasn't aware of any Andromedan sightings that far into the 24th century."

"You should read more history books."

Everyone in the room looked to the doorway. Smithy stood there, leaning against the door frame. "Sighting was made by USS Excalibur, NCC 26517. On one of her voyages into deep space, she travelled through a wormhole out past the Galactic Barrier and came across an Andromedan cruiser."

Harrison frowned. "I've read history books. That incident isn't in them, it isn't on file with Starfleet."

"Really? Oh well, we probably forgot to note it in the ship's log."

Lisa glanced at Harrison, and offered a brief explanation. "James was chief engineer aboard Excalibur at that time. I'm sure he can give an accurate account of the incident."

"Sure can." Smithy limped over to the empty seat next to Lisa and sat, noting the look of concern on her face and silently promising an explanation later. "Bob, in one of his more competent moments, didn't actually fire the first shot. Of course, since he hadn't ordered the shields up in time I think we can strike any competency from the record."

"Bob?"

"Oh, forgive me. Robert Metcalf, Starfleet officer, psychopath, criminal genius, dead and his atoms scattered across a wide portion of space in a warp core breach. Gone, but certainly not forgotten. And I know that he's in the history books." Smithy stared up through the transparent ceiling at the Antares Maelstrom, still an awe-inspiring sight every time he saw it. "Where was I? Ah yes, the incident. The Andromedan ship was fitted with some kind of plasma based weapon, seemed to operate on a similar basis to the weapons the Romulans began fielding a few years back. Concentrated bolts of electroplasma, nasty on a shielded vessel and very damaging to an unshielded one. Their first shot went right through the port nacelle pylon." He paused, remembering the scene in the engine room. "That pretty much scuppered any chance of us making a proper fight of it, but I doubt we'd have been a match for them if we'd had our shields up from the start. The only thing that saved us was Bob getting brained by his chair when we took that hit."

Harrison's face wore a luck of confusion at that, so Harriman explained. "He was knocked unconcious, and since Excalibur didn't have a first officer at the time that meant that the chief engineer was in charge from that point."

Smithy continued the account. "Only one thing really we could do at that point. In the words of the Monty Python team - run away! We put overload power into the impulse engines while reconfiguring the warp program for single-nacelled flight, and then returned to the wormhole and got the hell out of there."

"So, you're saying that we don't have a chance against them?"

"Nope. I'm saying that last time we met they had a distinct advantage. It's a bit of a jump to go from that all the way to 'we're doomed'."

Sheehan turned to face Harriman. "We don't even know if there is a fleet of them out there, or what their intentions are. All we've got is guesswork right now."

"Well, what do you propose?" Harrison sat back and folded his arms. "You want to go do some recon? You want to send a Starfleet force out there to deal with any Andromedan ships? Special Operations will be out there by now, I'm sure they've got it covered."

"Special Operations Division is full of morons who couldn't find their arse with both hands." Smithy leaned forward, his hands gripping the edge of the table. "I'm not at all comfortable entrusting the safety of the Federation to that bunch of muppets."

"Well, unfortunately for you the President doesn't see things that way."

"Yes, unfortunately for me and for the rest of the Federation! Well, fortunately for the security of the Federation I have absolutely no intention of sitting back and watching events unfold."

Harriman's face wore a smile as he watched his former chief engineer go off on one of his familiar rants about those above him. A quick glance around the room confirmed that everyone bar Harrison was looking at Smithy in approval and admiration. No surprise there....he always did know how to work a crowd. "I agree. It's clear that Starfleet has to do at least something. Thulinuk, you said the DSF is on alert. How many ships do they have that far out?"

"15 cruisers, and some escorts."

"Then you'd better join back up with them then. Our repair teams will be done with the Mortum Hesta in another hour."

Sheehan nodded. "We'll head out as soon as the ship is ready."

Harriman turned to Smithy. "How soon can you get the Tigermoth out to the Barrier Zone? Everyone else will be using the warp highways to get there, it's about 3 days at those speeds."

"At maximum transwarp speeds, we can be there in less than a day. We can hold the fort until others arrive."

Harriman nodded. "Very well. I'll inform SOD's commander that Starfleet ships will be in the area on a training exercise."

"A lie?" Harrison's face was scrunched up in disapproval.

"If you like." Harriman looked around the table to see if there were any further questions. There were none. "Go on, get out of here. The galaxy isn't going to save itself."

Everyone began to file out. Harrison, Lisa and Smithy remained behind. Harrison spoke first. "Admiral, I must object to this course of action."

"Duly noted." Harriman watched as the other man stuttered for a couple of seconds, then turned and left. "Well, the President will probably be getting a call from him. You guys better get going quick."

Lisa nodded. "Watch your back. That guy's bad news."

"I know. You guys watch yourselves as well....those idiots in SOD are just as likely to shoot at the Tigermoth as they are at Andromedan ships."

Smithy regarded him glumly, and grumbled. "Just once, I'd like the universe to play nicely for a change."

Offline Grim Reaper

• The 4th Horseman, the Lord of Death
  • Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2006, 02:08:33 am »
Nah that won't be fun. I like the universe not nice to Smithy. But those SOD's cannot be totally incompetent?
Snickers@DND: If there is one straight answer in that bent little head of yours, you'd better start spillin' it pretty damn quick, or I'm gonna take a large, blunt object, roughly the size of Kallae AND his hat and shove it lengthwise up a crevice of your being so seldomly cleaned that even the denizens of the nine hells would not touch it with a 10-feet rusty pole

Offline James Smith