Topic: The SCO Group vs IBM - judge takes weed whacker to SCO claims.  (Read 12685 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Re: The SCO Group vs IBM - judge takes weed whacker to SCO claims.
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2016, 07:09:16 am »
The judge has ruled on SCOGs remaining claims - they lose IBM wins.  There still is the final statement on that to be done by month end and IBM has some counter claims still in play.  I suspect IBM will ask to be allowed to drop them without prejudice (so they can relaunch should it be needed) as there is nothing to win from SCOG as they are one thin hair from total death and don't need IBMs help in achieving it. 

A long deserved win for the Good Guys. 
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2016, 09:09:31 am »
That was still going 10 years after??!?  I had totally forgot about the lawsuit.  I thought SCO was dead and buried by now.  lol.

Offline EschelonOfJudgemnt

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2016, 06:02:09 pm »
Yay!

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2016, 10:12:20 pm »
They used first Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection (SCO vs Novell was due to start on the Monday and the Bankruptcy began on the Friday) then Chapter 7 Liquidation to slow things down.  There should have been perjury charges laid in my opinion due to when Novell wanted a bond set up for if SCOG lost they would get paid because they feared SCOG going into Bankruptcy first and SCOG told the Judge there was no danger of that. 

In my opinion this was as much a paid for anti Linux scam as anything else. 

Why for example couldn't the judge force public disclosure of the alleged infringing code?  It (if it existed) was already in the public view the only thing that wasn't was the claim of ownership by SCOG.  The only reason I could see for SCOG to object is that as long as it was in Linux they could fight to get copyright payments from Linux users.  That wouldn't be a reason for the courts.  Usually in a case like this a major factor is arranging the end of the infringement (if any) but that was always avoided.

The saddest part of this case is that the CEO of SCOG is now the CEO of another apparently healthy company.  He failed up, at least until he starts more lawsuits.  :(
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2016, 08:31:57 pm »
I spoke too soon.  The SCO Group has launched an appeal.  Hopefully it will be declined but then they have higher courts to go to, all the way to the Supreme Court. 

Part of me hopes that it does go all the  way to the Supreme Court (losing of course) just to make a absolute final YOU LOSE to SCO.