Topic: "Herbie" prototype built by VW.  (Read 2473 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
"Herbie" prototype built by VW.
« on: July 02, 2006, 05:19:52 am »
Link to full article

On a race circuit, it drove itself faster and more precisely than the VW engineers could manage - and can accelerate independently up to its top speed of 150mph

The remarkable car is the VW Golf GTi '53 plus 1' codenamed after the number '53' which Herbie carried when racing in his big screen adventures.

Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
Re: "Herbie" prototype built by VW.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 11:44:02 am »
Golf GTi ... drool... awesome car. Was high up on the popular stolen car list for quite some time, as its almost impossible for a Crown Vic or Impala to catch it, the Golfs corner like they're on rails. Insurance for the GTi is insane for the value of the car.

Such a fun car to drive though I can't imagine why you want to let the car drive itself... well except maybe for coming home from a good party... "Home, Herbie - I'm loaded!"  ;D

Offline F9thDigi

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 05:16:25 am »
Try the Golf R32.

• 4 wheel drive
  • 18" Alloys

Here's the UK page for the car:
http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new_cars/golf/r32

Mind you, roughly the same GTI is much much more expensive in the UK than in the US.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 10:28:53 am »
247 HP on a Golf frame!  :o Holy crap! I'd need some really soft rubber on a rig like that. I got myself into enough trouble with 105 HP!  :D

Though I'd rather no ABS or 4 wheel drive. Part of the joy of driving a Golf is the simplicity of it and a total hands-on feel for the road. Electric windows suck too. I like to roll them up and down by hand. Less powered stuff is much cheaper to maintain or fix yourself.

Now if you could get an R32 without all the bells and whistles and "pimped up" frills, that would be really cool.  8)  Which pretty much boils down to the GTI with 47 less horsepower, which somehow I don't think I'd miss.

EDIT ... and a left hand side drive too, I don't think I could get used to shifting with my left hand....
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 10:41:04 am by Bonk »

Offline F9thDigi

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 10:46:05 am »
They were testing the R32 on 5th Gear last night.  The presenter (Tiff Needle) liked how the 4 wheel system left him have the benefits of a rear wheel drive car coming into corners (oversteering), and front wheel drive coming out of the corner.

5th Gear Test
http://fifthgear.five.tv/jsp/5gmain.jsp?lnk=211&featureid=48&description=Volkswagen%20Golf%20R32&section=&show=