Topic: Back in the Swing of Things...  (Read 1772 times)

Offline moonboy242

• Middle-aged and scared
  • Lt. Junior Grade
Back in the Swing of Things...
« on: July 03, 2006, 01:42:00 pm »
Greetings. I just ot back into SFC after being away from for five years. A lot has changed!!! I used to be pretty good at using Ship Edit and mucking around in the shipname.txt files to add just about anything to the game... Alas, I now suck.

I was trying to add a new entry for the Fed Akyazi PA to my new copy of OP (patched up to the most recent version of course  ;)) and can't make it all work. Are there any new "wrinkles" that I should know about when editing in SFC: OP?
So many of the old sites have vanished... Where is a good starting point for info and tutoring on the subject?

(originally mis-posted elsewhere...)
When the Going gets WEIRD the WEIRD turn Pro.

Offline moonboy242

• Middle-aged and scared
  • Lt. Junior Grade
Re: Back in the Swing of Things...
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 09:24:13 pm »
UPDATE

Okay. After fartin around and trying every trick in the book.... TA-DAAAAAAA!!!!!!

Nothing.

Still can't add ships to OP in shipedit. I've followed the tutorial and even loitered in some very old docs I had from the good old glory days of SFC II.

In a nutshell, I add the models to the proper folder, I open shipedit, loadup shiplist, create new ship, go through the UI and model selection routine, and then I fill in the blanks. Save. Fire up SFC: OP and try to start a singleplayer test skirmish... nothing happens. No new ship.

Anyone got any ideas about what I might be doing wrong? What are the really common rookie mistakes that I am probably making....

Offline moonboy242

• Middle-aged and scared
  • Lt. Junior Grade
Re: Back in the Swing of Things...
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 01:14:58 pm »
Okaaayyyy. I think I got it. Finally got my addon to appear in multiplayer mode. Couple of lessons learned.

1. RTFM - Its not just for noobs.
2. RTFM again just to be sure.
3. Make sure you have an up to date manual - RTFM again.

I finally realized that my changes needed to be made in assets/specs/shiplist and in the metaassets/shiplist files. It worked for me.

Still can't use the addon ship in singleplayer skirmish, but hey, multiplayer is just as easy to use and adds so much more to the organized chaos approach to fleet engagements.