Topic: Wireless: Is it possible?  (Read 2354 times)

Offline Mazeppa

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • (Ret.)
Wireless: Is it possible?
« on: July 14, 2006, 03:41:56 pm »
Hey,

Does anyone play reliably via wireless, either on the Dynaverse or Gamespy?  I'd like to know more about your setup, if you do.  If you  (LOL) want to be secretive about it, PM me. 

I played a little on the Forge last night.  I ran 3 missions with another player.  I crashed out on the third.  I had my software firewall and AV OFF.  But I was playing wireless.  I strongly suspect my wireless connection was the culprit. 

When I tried to play last time, I hooked up via wire to my router, and it still caused problems, but I was using AV and a software firewall at the time. 

My cable modem and router are on the other side of the house.  When I played on a server a few months ago, moved the cable modem and router  into my room and tried to play wireless with the router two feet from my rig.  No luck.  I was unable to reliably play multiplayer games on the dynaverse.

I then connected my computer directly to the router.  I still had problems.

I was ONLY able to play reliably by hooking the cable modem to a hub, connecting my computer to the hub, and connecting the router to the hub for the other computer in the house to connect wirelessly via trhe router.  Understand this only worked because I was paying for extra IP addresses, so I used one IP address for my computer throught he hub, and the router used the other IP address. 

I want to play a bit on the Dynaverse.  I won't be a nutter, but I want to put in a few hours.  But I won't go through the trouble of all that re-wiring.  Plus, I got rid of those extra IP's recently, so the hub solution is gone.  So i must play wireless.  If there is a wireless router that does the trick, or setings that make it work, I'd like to know about it.

However, I don't want to play if my wireless connection is going to cause trouble for others.  I've crashed out too much over the years due to other's poor connections to cause anguish for others. 

Am I out of luck, or are there possible wireless solutions?
Mazeppa
Son of K'otv
A Retired But Proud Member of the Klingon Black Fleet

www.uschess.org
www.ochess.org
www.okschess.org

Offline KBF-Crim

• 1st Deacon ,Church of Taldren
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
Re: Wireless: Is it possible?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 05:10:27 pm »
I know Bonk will flip...heh heh...but yeah....I play on my laptop over the wirteless network all the time....most of the time now (teenagers)...

I can give you some spec if you want....

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 06:05:42 pm »
I've done Dyna on Wireless several times.   Intel Wireless card (Centrino thingy), Intel Proset Wireless Software, Linksys WRT54G router, DMZ on the router, ALL firewalls turned off.  though not as brisk as a wired connection, you bottleneck will be your cable/DSL modem anyway
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 06:47:44 pm »
I know Bonk will flip...heh heh...

:multi: Coax is best! I'll tolerate UTP (barely - damn lazy installers and dozy users couldn't cope with coax - so when 100Mbit rolled around it was UTP only)... but Wireless? Wireless!!!  >:(  ;)  Someday I'll move up to a Gbit fiber LAN once its cheap and common enough.

You may have luck with wireless as some may, but I suspect it will have a lot to do with the levels of RF noise in your locale. Stay away from compressors (fridges, air conditioners), don't run the vacuum. Hopefully you're not close to any rail lines. Ensure your PC power supply and fans are all quality and low noise. Ensure all the EMI sheilding for your case is intact. Ensure the PC and WAP are on quality surge suppresors or line conditioners or a UPS. Ensure the WAP and WNIC are as far away from CRT monitors, cordless phones, audio amplifiers, other electonics as possible... Ensure all devices are using factory supplied or superior DC adapters for power... If your BIOS has voltage monitors that can be monitored from the OS, run an application to monitor the level of and the AC ripple in the DC supplies and use this to optimise your power supply setup. Ensure proper grounds... Don't wear fleece or staticy clothing... ;) You'd probably have best results if you, the WNIC and WAP are all inside a faraday cage together... ;) (at which point you might as well be wired).
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 06:59:49 pm by Bonk »

Offline SkyFlyer

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 05:34:00 pm »
Never had problems playing wireless on a WRT45GS (same as WRT45G but with speedbooster).
Life is short... running makes it seem longer.

"A god who let us prove his existence would be an idol" - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Offline Farfarer

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 07:40:46 pm »
I have to Enable the DMZ in the Router for the IP specfic to the wireless laptop in order to play OP.  I didn't have to for Eve, but then I've been Clean ( from Eve) for a month now - feels great.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 02:19:51 pm »
Update:   All of my test server play last night was wireless.   No lag or drafting issue.  I was 10 feet with clear LOS to the router however . . .
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

762_XC

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006, 02:23:04 pm »
I know Bonk will flip...heh heh...

:multi: Coax is best! I'll tolerate UTP (barely - damn lazy installers and dozy users couldn't cope with coax - so when 100Mbit rolled around it was UTP only)... but Wireless? Wireless!!!  >:(  ;)  Someday I'll move up to a Gbit fiber LAN once its cheap and common enough.

You may have luck with wireless as some may, but I suspect it will have a lot to do with the levels of RF noise in your locale. Stay away from compressors (fridges, air conditioners), don't run the vacuum. Hopefully you're not close to any rail lines. Ensure your PC power supply and fans are all quality and low noise. Ensure all the EMI sheilding for your case is intact. Ensure the PC and WAP are on quality surge suppresors or line conditioners or a UPS. Ensure the WAP and WNIC are as far away from CRT monitors, cordless phones, audio amplifiers, other electonics as possible... Ensure all devices are using factory supplied or superior DC adapters for power... If your BIOS has voltage monitors that can be monitored from the OS, run an application to monitor the level of and the AC ripple in the DC supplies and use this to optimise your power supply setup. Ensure proper grounds... Don't wear fleece or staticy clothing... ;) You'd probably have best results if you, the WNIC and WAP are all inside a faraday cage together... ;) (at which point you might as well be wired).

And for God's sakes keep the cat away!

Offline SkyFlyer

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 03:06:28 pm »
Update:   All of my test server play last night was wireless.   No lag or drafting issue.  I was 10 feet with clear LOS to the router however . . .

I've played SFC on a laptop three rooms away from the router with no issues DH. :)
Life is short... running makes it seem longer.

"A god who let us prove his existence would be an idol" - Dietrich Bonhoeffer