Topic: Had to call Microsoft again tonight  (Read 4724 times)

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
Had to call Microsoft again tonight
« on: July 29, 2006, 10:15:33 pm »
Because I moved a gig of ram from upstairs to downstairs.. sheesh..

You know, I think every XP owner should do lots of hardware changes and flood their phone systems with requests for new installation ID's.  Make the program real cost effective for them.

I HATE being treated like a thief when I've made the extra effort to do what's right.  It's like CompUSA.  Everytime I go there, go through the checkout, and the guy at the door WATCHES me go through checkout and then walk ten freakin' feet to him, and has the nerve to ask if he can look in my bag and see my receipt, I just want to punch him in the head.
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
Re: Had to call Microsoft again tonight
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 10:17:47 pm »
You mean you had authentication trouble, or actual software failure when you altered your RAM size?

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 10:23:31 pm »
I mean the Windows Genuine Advantage POS notified me when the machine booted that my computer had had too many major hardware changes and I had 3 days to re-authenticate Windows before it stopped working.  You then have to call a number (because going to the website no longer works, because I've upgraded my machine 1 time too many, according to Microsoft), so I have to read a 40 digit number to a computer, which tells me it can no longer authenticate my copy of windows, so I am connected with a person in India, who asks how many computers I am running my copy on, then gives me another 40 digit number that I enter in the validation window, and we're set... until I change another stick of RAM... or move a hard drive to another wire, or some nonsense.

I'm going to talk to a friend of mine Monday who is the president of the Tulsa County Bar association and see if I can talk him into filing a class action under Oklahoma law.  I'm getting pissed.
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 10:38:34 pm »
I hope you succeed.  I await the e-mail informing me of my rights in the class action suit.

As for Genuine Advantage Notification, I've religiously kept if off my computer, my kids' computers, and as many as I can at work.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2006, 10:40:38 pm »
Just remove it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921914

Seems to work for the later versions too.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2006, 10:42:00 pm »
Sheesh.  They MUST HAVE gotten inundated by complaints about that garbage.

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2006, 11:07:10 pm »
Well, I had to go into the BIOS (looking for something with the RAID controller) and while I was in there I turned off the welcome screen for the start-up so I could see the post codes, and when I rebooted I noticed my system RAM was running at DDR 333.  It should be DDR400 Dual Channel, so I just figured out that the pair of 512's I brought down from upstairs are actually 333 RAM, and Microsoft may have detected the speed change rather than the RAM increase.  Oddly, after I pulled them out, it didn't ask me to call again.

At first I was mad, but now I plan to move a piece of hardware every day.  You can't sue Microsoft and win(unless you are the EU), but you can certainly make yourself annoy them as much as they annoy you.  I'll bet you that call center in India is outsourced on a per-call basis.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2006, 05:28:03 am »
At first I was mad, but now I plan to move a piece of hardware every day.  You can't sue Microsoft and win(unless you are the EU), but you can certainly make yourself annoy them as much as they annoy you.  I'll bet you that call center in India is outsourced on a per-call basis.

You want to annoy Microsoft?  Don't buy their products.  (Don't pirate it, use an alternative)

Various people have sued Microsoft and won on the basis of the commitment that you will be refunded the cost of Windows if you don't agree to the license.  So it can be done, but its only worth it if you really want to annoy Microsoft.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2006, 03:33:20 pm »
I don't pirate their products.  That's why being treated like a pirate BY them irritates me in no small degree.  I'm actually an MCSE and an MCT, so I like Microsoft products just fine.  I just don't like having to call someone at 10 PM because I decided to move some RAM around.  The whole notion of a company watching you that closely in your own home is disgusting.

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2006, 05:28:06 pm »
yet another reason that I switched to Mac.
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2006, 06:31:37 pm »
I don't pirate their products.  That's why being treated like a pirate BY them irritates me in no small degree.  I'm actually an MCSE and an MCT, so I like Microsoft products just fine.  I just don't like having to call someone at 10 PM because I decided to move some RAM around.  The whole notion of a company watching you that closely in your own home is disgusting.

That whole attitude is why I avoided XP as much as humanly possible and refuse to buy any Microsoft software that I can refuse. 

Maybe its time for you to add Redhat Certification?  Never hurts to have extra skills, especially if you let Microsoft know it.

Recently my brother-in-law who sells computers had the same problem except Microsoft refused him the codes.  So he told them outright they could *&^% themselves and he would install his Redhat on all SIX systems.  At that point they gave him new codes for all 6 machines - just in case he needed them for the other 5 later.
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2006, 08:21:27 pm »
Actually I am going to get my Project Management certification next.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2006, 08:43:28 pm »
Maybe its time for you to add Redhat Certification?

Ack! From bad to worse... anything but redhat's abortion of an OS. It never fails to sicken me how they can slaughter a perfectly good OS. And they have the nerve to charge money for it!  :o

Redhat is not Linux. It is its own beast altogether, and from what I've seen of it quite a substandard piece of work. There are plenty of superior alternatives that adhere to industry standards and are much easier on hardware. (I of course prefer FreeBSD and QNX for serious computing applications)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2006, 08:50:01 pm »
The reason I used Redhat certification, is that it (Redhat) is popular and has a certification system that parallels Microsofts (or at least appears to).  If there is a competing certification program that would be as good (at least) I'd be curious to hear of it.  Redhat has the advantage of visibility and name brand recognition.

I'm using OpenSuSE myself.  I've installed (experimentally) but never actually did much with Redhat/Fedora.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2006, 10:19:57 pm »
... is popular and has a certification system that parallels Microsofts ...

That should tell you all you need to know. ;)

Certifications are to reassure hr managers, not to educate technicians.

That said:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi ;)
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html
http://www.bsdcertification.com/certs/allcerts.php

http://www.qnx.com/services/training/standard.html

I had enough of education years ago, not much can be learned from it.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 10:33:47 pm by Bonk »

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2006, 10:51:31 pm »
... is popular and has a certification system that parallels Microsofts ...

That should tell you all you need to know. ;)

Certifications are to reassure hr managers, not to educate technicians.

One day managers may understand that - but I doubt it.

That said:

I had enough of education years ago, not much can be learned from it.

I seem to have somewhat of an obsession with learning new things.  I'm always watching for interesting night school courses though I rarely see one that qualifies.  The last one that almost made it was an internet based Linux course the killer was you needed to use IE and Windows XP to take the course. :banghead: :screwloose: :banghead:

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2006, 02:12:02 pm »
you've gotta be kidding about that, Nem...

I don't think Apple has any Mac OS certification courses, but then I don't really think you need any.  A Linux course can teach you the commands so long as the strain you're learning on is similar in any way to Darwin.
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline Just plain old Punisher

• Vice Admiral
  • I'm not facist, I just like wearing jackboots
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2006, 04:58:12 pm »
I think the local daycare down the street offers mac certifications. And you get nappy time and a free juice box too!

"Sex is a lot like pizza.  If you're not careful you can blister your tongue". -Dracho

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2006, 07:21:59 pm »
I think the local daycare down the street offers mac certifications. And you get nappy time and a free juice box too!

at least I can install LOTS of RAM without asking Big Brother first

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2006, 04:09:33 am »
you've gotta be kidding about that, Nem...

I don't think Apple has any Mac OS certification courses, but then I don't really think you need any.  A Linux course can teach you the commands so long as the strain you're learning on is similar in any way to Darwin.

About the Linux course requiring Windows XP?  No joke.  The college that runs the course requires XP for all online classes.

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2006, 12:45:31 pm »
small college?  I know MSU will let you use a Mac so long as you can do what the classes need you to do, but they only can help you if you're stuck on Windows.

Offline TheJudge

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2006, 01:45:50 pm »
Well, the link to remove the verification package has already been posted...Microsoft put that option in there for people like Dracho who regularly change around Hardware configurations.  See, they're not totally unreasonable.  An interesting site some of you might like is:

http://www.voicesforinnovation.org

(Disclosure Statement:  yeah, my company has a client named ATL, Advanced Technology Leadership, and y'all know what that means).
He who can master the data controls the world.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2006, 02:40:45 pm »
...  See, they're not totally unreasonable...

But still quite a bit so!

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2006, 04:48:50 pm »
small college?  I know MSU will let you use a Mac so long as you can do what the classes need you to do, but they only can help you if you're stuck on Windows.

Not small.  They have multiple campuses in town.  Just the typical idiocy of tying into one system and trying to force others to use it even when there is no need and as in this case an actual conflict with the course.

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2006, 10:17:28 pm »
ok, yeah, that's retarded.  You'd think there would be an anti-monopoly law that would apply there or something

but it's the same with math courses.  If you don't have a TI-83 you're on your own.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2006, 10:31:01 pm »
HP-49G+ (or soon to come 50G) and HP-33S is much nicer to use than any TI...

... after you learn RPN (or RPL).

But after you do, you'll never want to stop using it.

Offline SkyFlyer

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2006, 01:57:51 am »
I hope you succeed.  I await the e-mail informing me of my rights in the class action suit.

As for Genuine Advantage Notification, I've religiously kept if off my computer, my kids' computers, and as many as I can at work.

Keep it off of Mine, my dad's laptop, and the desktop I'm putting together for him. (All legal).
Life is short... running makes it seem longer.

"A god who let us prove his existence would be an idol" - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2006, 09:35:59 am »
Well, the link to remove the verification package has already been posted...Microsoft put that option in there for people like Dracho who regularly change around Hardware configurations.  See, they're not totally unreasonable.  An interesting site some of you might like is:

http://www.voicesforinnovation.org

(Disclosure Statement:  yeah, my company has a client named ATL, Advanced Technology Leadership, and y'all know what that means).

I took it off the machine and now I can't run updates or patches, as it keeps wanting to reinstall the tool prior to allowing me on the update site.

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2006, 01:48:09 pm »
But you should still be able to use automatic updates from Control Panel in Win XP.