Poll

How do you think matt damon playing kirk will influence the new trek movie for you?

good - will hunting
bad - jersey girl
just ugly - mystic pizza

Topic: =/\= Matt Damon to play young kirk?! good, bad, or just plain ugly?  (Read 3440 times)

Offline stoneyface

• Dark Lord of the Spliff
  • Lt. Commander
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
well, it's annouced. here at Imdb http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000354/

"#2 Star Trek XI (2008) (announced) .... Captain James T. Kirk"

and here is an article about it  on slashdot.org

http://slashdot.org/articles/06/08/03/1627232.shtml

"Our friends at IMDB.com are reporting that Matt Damon has been cast to play a young James T. Kirk in the new Star Trek Movie directed by J.J. Abrams. Is this the end of the Star Trek series we fans know and love, or the beginning of something bigger and better for the series?"

i am hoping that he will do a good job as kirk. i think he is a great actor is some roles (jason bourne springs to mind, also dogma). but i must admit that he has made some poor choices for roles and acting in those roles before. i can only hope that he decides to shine in this role and not screw the trek pooch!

what do you  all think? discuss!
BlackOps agent for XenoCorp...

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-

Offline Ornery Rooster

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: =/\= Matt Damon to play young kirk?! good, bad, or just plain ugly?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 07:58:33 pm »
They're going back to Kirk's early days?  Did I miss something here?  Didn't they just have a series that was about the early days called Enterprise?

Frankly, I think the news is irrelevant.  Star Trek at this point is over.

Offline Starkiller

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 09:03:51 pm »
Honestly, the most intriguing thing for me is the ships...  heh... I could care less for the cast.  I want to see SHIPS.  And LOVE for the technology. 

They could do worse than Damon, fer sher... he could pull it off. 

SHIPS. 

What they do in this movie may very well lay the foundations for the recreation of the TOS that has been rumored for sometime now.  It shall be interesting to see.

Now, lets see Orlando Bloom as spock :)  and I read somewhere that Oprah would play Uhura and Paris Hilton will play Yoeman Rand.  Rowr.

Offline stoneyface

• Dark Lord of the Spliff
  • Lt. Commander
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 10:42:49 pm »
paris hilton! you haven't been twalking to 762 have you?

anyway with paris hilton as part of the crew, the only thing going down on the ship will be her!
BlackOps agent for XenoCorp...

"Sic gorgiamos allos subjectos nunc" - we gladly feast on those who would subdue us...

DMT = Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.   -Nietzsche was pietzsche-

Offline Alidar Jarok

• Commander
  • He Took My Sammich
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 11:12:39 pm »
IMDB is completely unreliable, fwiw (I'll believe it when a more official site says the same thing).

As for good/bad/ugly, its not ugly since Matt Damon is (so I've been told) a super hottie ;)

OK, seriously, its completely up in the air.  I've seen him in some really good roles, so it might not be terrible.  It might be hard accepting an actor I know so well as Kirk, but it will probably be hard accepting anyone besides Shatner, so why not go with Matt Damon? ;)
From Me to You - The Beatles

If there's anything that you want,
If there's anything i can do,
Just call on me and i'll send it along
With love from me to you.

Offline Starkiller

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 01:08:59 am »
hmmm...

damon as kirk, afflek as spock, with Jay and Silent Bob in the Hydroponics section?!? 

Hmmmmm...