Topic: The Kzinti might have appeared on Ent (Season 5)  (Read 8912 times)

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
Re: The Kzinti might have appeared on Ent (Season 5)
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2006, 11:13:47 am »
Back in the mid-90's the military was playing around with kinetic ordinance.  Basically, it was a depleted uranium rod that accelerated to around mach 8-9 before impacting its target.  The kinetic force of the impact was so tremendous that they didn't even bother to put explosives on it.   :o

I believe those of us in BattleTech circles call that a Gauss Rifle.  ;D
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2006, 11:23:21 am »
Back in the mid-90's the military was playing around with kinetic ordinance.  Basically, it was a depleted uranium rod that accelerated to around mach 8-9 before impacting its target.  The kinetic force of the impact was so tremendous that they didn't even bother to put explosives on it.   :o

I believe those of us in BattleTech circles call that a Gauss Rifle.  ;D

Only if an electromagnetic field is used to propel the bullet.   ;D
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Alidar Jarok

• Commander
  • He Took My Sammich
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2006, 09:45:58 pm »
link

As an update (not sure if its accurate, since, while parts are sourced, it isn't entirely sourced), here's some more info about the episode, had it been made.

It has been recently disclosed that if Star Trek: Enterprise had been renewed for a fifth season, Manny Coto wanted to do a Kzinti episode. Much of the concept for the episode "Kilkenny Cats" (which was based on a story by Neal and Jana Hallford) were to draw from the earlier concept Star Trek: Lions of the Night by Jimmy Diggs. D.C. Fontana and André Bormanis were also involved in the editing of the script.

To get the producers convinced a "rough rendering" of a Kzinti starship based on the movies era Dark Stalker was produced for possible use. The artist Josh Finney said that he was "... commissioned by writer Jimmy Diggs to design an 'Enterprise' era Kzinti cruiser as part of an overall pitch to Paramount." He further said "As for my ship design, truth be told, Paramounts people would've probably re-designed it a billion times before it hit the screen. But, still, I would've at least provided the starting point for the concept."

It is notable that the concept design of the Kzinti vessel draws considerably from the Kzinti fleet as presented in the Star Fleet Universe, which have a similar layout to the design shown, including the same triple warp nacelle layout and pod-mounted drone (missile) launchers - as can be seen at Wikipedia. Jimmy Diggs did that on purpose hence three nacelles, but with more emphasise on creating a believable warship. The 2150s version combines aircrafts and submarines of World War II.
From Me to You - The Beatles

If there's anything that you want,
If there's anything i can do,
Just call on me and i'll send it along
With love from me to you.

Offline GermzSlap

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2007, 11:23:04 am »
It was damn shame that they cancelled enterprise, they show was  just started getting interesting in the last season, the beginnings of the fedreation, vulcan story that kind of thing and then they just cut it off like that. If they do a 5th season i just hope it wont be dumbed down for the general public, since the shows was cancelled because people stopped watching it.