Topic: The Kzinti might have appeared on Ent (Season 5)  (Read 8816 times)

Offline Alidar Jarok

• Commander
  • He Took My Sammich
The Kzinti might have appeared on Ent (Season 5)
« on: August 08, 2006, 09:48:35 pm »
Apparently, the Kzinti were considered for Season 5 of Enterprise.  Apparently, they asked to use some of the ideas of Court Jones, who had previous made this:

Here is the ship they would have used.

http://www.glitchwerk.com/gallery/startrek.htm
From Me to You - The Beatles

If there's anything that you want,
If there's anything i can do,
Just call on me and i'll send it along
With love from me to you.

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
Re: The Kzinti might have appeared on Ent (Season 5)
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 10:01:46 pm »
Hey, didn't they use a Kzinti style ship for some other race.  It seems I remember seening an episode when they were still doing all that time crap, and there was a ship that totally smacked of a Kzinti.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 11:00:47 pm »
Who is Court Jones? Aren't the Kzin Larry Niven's?

Offline Alidar Jarok

• Commander
  • He Took My Sammich
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 11:28:42 pm »
I'm trying to figure out what exactly he did.  He appears to be an artist (who made this art).  There's something called "Lions of the Night" (here's another drawing for it).  I'm not sure if its a book or something else (and I'm not sure if he's illustrating it, writing it, etc).

I'll see if I can find out anything about him.

Offline Soreyes

• Commander
  • It's Not News. It's CNN
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 04:55:17 am »
There's something called "Lions of the Night" (here's another drawing for it). 

Will you look at all those DF's  ;D

[img width=600 height=150]

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 11:12:15 pm »
Will you look at the DATE:

'04

Sorry, I think that we missed that one.
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 11:10:22 pm »
There's something called "Lions of the Night" (here's another drawing for it). 

Will you look at all those DF's  ;D

Not only that Soreyes look t the ship....

I'm counting 16 drone racks..... :woot:

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 11:54:29 am »
Looks like the big gun from 5th Element
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 07:55:45 pm »
Hey, now!  This makes no sense.  There are no drones/missiles in Trek!  It makes no sense, why would they use such an old technology? ::) ;)

This would have actually been great to see, and with the Romulan fighters (hey, there aren't fighters in Trek!) in that last Trek movie (can't remember the name, thank goodness... oh dang, it just popped in my head.  Nemesis) we have the makings of dispelling all the SFB poo-pooers. :D

I kind of wonder about that pic though.  It doesn't look like the Kzinti I'm used to.  You know, more like the Kilrathi (hey, both start with a K and end in I.  Coincidence?) from Wing Commander.  I wonder if they could have purchased some Kilrathi suits for cheap.  The Hero heads were pretty good  from what I remember.  I did a little search and it turns out the Kzinti from the guys alternate universe of novels (as in non-Trek) had bat ears, and some other features in their society that differ from the Trek versions (like females being nothing more than incubators for babies, with very little else going on up stairs).  I wonder if they were trying to inject more of the book elements into the Trek universe?

Offline IndyShark

• Last Knight Standing of the late, great KNF, Member GDA
  • Lt. Commander
  • Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2006, 09:59:34 am »
That looks pretty cool. Perhaps they will use it in the next Star Trek show.....

Offline F9thRyker

• Pimp
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • If it has a pulse, does it have a phone number...?
    • http://www.9thfleet.com
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2006, 10:08:22 am »
Hey, now!  This makes no sense.  There are no drones/missiles in Trek!  It makes no sense, why would they use such an old technology? ::) ;)

Has everyone forgotten those homing missiles that Enterprise had in its first 2 seasons, or was I the only one not impressed by "photonic" torpedoes?  ;)

The four most powerful men in the galaxy:

The President of the United Federation of Planets...
The Chancellor of the Klingon Empire...The Praetor of the Romulan Star Empire...

...and the Captain of a Federation Starship...

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2006, 10:53:22 am »
Wow, I did forget about those. :D

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2006, 11:10:08 am »
A curse on all the Enterprise haters.  They deprived us of making the Kzin and drones cannon.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
250GB SATA HD

Offline Alidar Jarok

• Commander
  • He Took My Sammich
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2006, 03:45:30 pm »

Has everyone forgotten those homing missiles that Enterprise had in its first 2 seasons, or was I the only one not impressed by "photonic" torpedoes?  ;)

I remembered them.  I thought they were pretty cool (served as something you didn't usually see in Trek).  Of course, they weren't as good as Kzin missiles, since they couldn't go through shields.  But the Enterprise (NX-01) doesn't have shields, so they would have been nasty to fight.

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2006, 10:33:13 pm »
A curse on all the Enterprise haters.  They deprived us of making the Kzin and drones cannon.

Hey, now.  Let's be fair.  The first few seasons of Enterprise went from bland and boring to complete suckage, for the most part.  Now, I loved the cast and thought they did an admirable job, but someone else was doing their awful best to destroy Trek, imo.  Still, Kzin and drone wars would have been nice, so a curse on all the Enterprise Producers/head writers. ;)

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2006, 09:32:07 am »
The kinetic energy alone of a missile going near the speed of light would be horrific.  Add some nasty 23rd century explosives to the nose and you have a serious problem.

Shields that reflect beam weapons may not perform as well against kinetic impacts.
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline EmeraldEdge

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2006, 10:17:46 am »
Exactly. :D

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2006, 10:49:01 am »
Back in the mid-90's the military was playing around with kinetic ordinance.  Basically, it was a depleted uranium rod that accelerated to around mach 8-9 before impacting its target.  The kinetic force of the impact was so tremendous that they didn't even bother to put explosives on it.   :o

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2006, 11:45:06 pm »
Back in the mid-90's the military was playing around with kinetic ordinance.  Basically, it was a depleted uranium rod that accelerated to around mach 8-9 before impacting its target.  The kinetic force of the impact was so tremendous that they didn't even bother to put explosives on it.   :o

Shoot... a SABOT round for an M1-A2 going about Mach 3 or so is devastating.

I'd hate to know what something going 3 times that fast could do.
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2006, 08:46:31 am »

Shoot... a SABOT round for an M1-A2 going about Mach 3 or so is devastating.

I'd hate to know what something going 3 times that fast could do.

I suspect, in a missile engagement in space, you'd always want to enage the enemy head-on, but avoid being engaged head-on at all costs (the space version of "Crossing The T") due to the relative speeds involved. 

2 cars colliding at 30 mph in a "T-bone" have a 30 mph collision.  Head-on it's a 60 mph collision.   A missile going .99c hitting a starship head-on that is also going .99c, well, they just had one hell of a collision.

It's also possible (and we'll never know until we do it) that there is an element of "compression" of space / time near 1.0c.  Fighter jets push a huge pressure wave in front of them at speeds just under the speed of sound (the reason the wings came off the old prop-fighters, before they knew to sweep them back), so a missile (or other kinetic ordinance, such as a mass driver) could actually hit and damage you twice.  The reality wave plays havoc with your shields just before the solid mass arrives.