Topic: Some Help  (Read 1665 times)

Offline _Rondo_GE The OutLaw

• Commodore
Some Help
« on: August 09, 2006, 10:38:25 pm »
Ever since the server went down on the weekend I have not been able to get on.  Some kind of CRC error.

I've tried reloading the game and the SG06 files but stil the same.  The problem has to be the server.

Anyway to fix this?

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
Re: Some Help
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 07:52:33 am »
Ever since the server went down on the weekend I have not been able to get on.  Some kind of CRC error.

I've tried reloading the game and the SG06 files but stil the same.  The problem has to be the server.

Anyway to fix this?

The problem cannot be the server as there were around 30 people on Tuesday night and around 20 people on last night.

Have you read this thread?:
Current SGO6 Download
i.e.: do you actually have the latest installer? Did you check its size or MD5?
Is your copy of IE set to cache files properly or is it at the broken default?

Are you using a proper shortcut to the game?

What exactly is the CRC error? What file does it tell you does not meet spec?

Did you have Norton running when you installed and patched the game?

Did you read this thread?:
To login to the Dynaverse on Orion Pirates - short version

If it is StarFleetOP.exe that is not meeting the CRC check then try downloading this copy:
ftp://www.dynaverse.net/sfc2_op/backup_files/StarFleetOP.zip

I suspect that either people are not really completely disabling thir virus scanners when installing and patching (they can fool you into thinking they are disabled, but the services are actually still running). Or recent changes to windows have broken the patcher. I must invenstigate to determine if the patch is now broken on windows XP and what is needed to fix it.

• Commodore
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 08:23:44 pm »

Anyway to fix this?

The problem cannot be the server as there were around 30 people on Tuesday night and around 20 people on last night.

Have you read this thread?:
Current SGO6 Download
i.e.: do you actually have the latest installer? Did you check its size or MD5?
Is your copy of IE set to cache files properly or is it at the broken default?

Are you using a proper shortcut to the game?

What exactly is the CRC error? What file does it tell you does not meet spec?

Did you have Norton running when you installed and patched the game?

Did you read this thread?:
To login to the Dynaverse on Orion Pirates - short version

If it is StarFleetOP.exe that is not meeting the CRC check then try downloading this copy:
ftp://www.dynaverse.net/sfc2_op/backup_files/StarFleetOP.zip

I suspect that either people are not really completely disabling thir virus scanners when installing and patching (they can fool you into thinking they are disabled, but the services are actually still running). Or recent changes to windows have broken the patcher. I must invenstigate to determine if the patch is now broken on windows XP and what is needed to fix it.

But it was working fine and then not.  I'll try again and turn off all the stuff I can.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 09:04:51 pm »
I saw you on the server tonight. I wonder what it was you were running that got in the way before?

EDIT: I recall someone had mentioned that a CD hacking/ripping/image mounting program can get in the way... (MS distrbutes an authorised iso image mounter, I'm not sure why anyone would want to use DaemonTools, ya ,that was it, I think... pretentious name for an unncessary windows app too...  ::))

• Commodore
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 02:18:13 am »
Basically I just loaded your new SG06 install and turned off pestpatrol my anti-virus, loading it on top of my "pristine" backup of SFC 2.5.5.2 4.0 that I swapped into my OP folder for just such emergency..  THANKS!!!

My copy of OP is green...err real...but I do have a dupe (somewhere) my buddy zilla sent me when i thought i lost it.  I lost that though...lol! 

This is a new system I have so my version of OP is not from the hacked thingy since i lost it well before I bought this dual core system.   I think i'll just let it stay lost.  :)

Anyway played my brains out so I am sated for one night.  Only had one PVP battle against some lunatic ROM defending a nebula...LFMAO!!!...and me a Gorn...:).

He ran.

Thanks again.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 10:06:14 am »
Glad you got it worked out.  :)

Only had one PVP battle against some lunatic ROM defending a nebula...LFMAO!!!...and me a Gorn...:).

Thats a good one.  :rofl: