Topic: Microsoft's AntiSpyware Tool Removes Internet Explorer  (Read 1663 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Microsoft's AntiSpyware Tool Removes Internet Explorer
« on: August 20, 2006, 09:14:03 pm »
Link to full article

Many Microsoft Windows users who downloaded the recently released AntiSpyware program from Microsoft, or had it installed through an automatic Windows update, woke up to a surprise. Unintentionally, the heuristics of the software detected Internet Explorer as spyware, and removed the program from their systems.

Microsoft has pulled the program from its website until the problem can be corrected. Elias Weatherbee, a Microsoft representative, said the program was "only in beta" and that "a fix was forthcoming."

Symantec Antivirus Research reported that virus sightings were down by 95% this morning.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Sarek

• Commander
Re: Microsoft's AntiSpyware Tool Removes Internet Explorer
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 12:53:05 pm »
LOL  Hopefully the final version will remove Windows itself.  ;)
Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.  – John Adams (1814)

www.lp.org

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 01:32:11 pm »
sounds like it works too well!  ;D

next we need an "anti-virus" that over-writes Windows with the MacOS ;)
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline Just plain old Punisher

• Vice Admiral
  • I'm not facist, I just like wearing jackboots
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 02:53:47 pm »
It's just getting to the root of the problem.

"Sex is a lot like pizza.  If you're not careful you can blister your tongue". -Dracho

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 08:07:46 pm »
Nemesis, this is not a joke, right?  :o

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 12:24:20 am »

:mischief:
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline KBF MalaK

• Just Another Target
  • Lt.
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 10:30:46 am »
Link to full article

Many Microsoft Windows users who downloaded the recently released AntiSpyware program from Microsoft, or had it installed through an automatic Windows update, woke up to a surprise. Unintentionally, the heuristics of the software detected Internet Explorer as spyware, and removed the program from their systems.

Microsoft has pulled the program from its website until the problem can be corrected. Elias Weatherbee, a Microsoft representative, said the program was "only in beta" and that "a fix was forthcoming."

Symantec Antivirus Research reported that virus sightings were down by 95% this morning.

DAMN !! I had automatic updates disabled. You have a copy of the proggy ???
"Artificial Intelligence is not a suitable substitute for natural stupidity"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Offline Darth Sidious

• Lt.
  • One Winged Angel
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 10:32:05 am »
Please note the date of the article.  That's all I'll say  :police:

Offline KBF MalaK

• Just Another Target
  • Lt.
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 10:44:46 am »
Link to full article

BAD Nemesis, posting a 6 month old article.
"Artificial Intelligence is not a suitable substitute for natural stupidity"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 11:22:35 am »

:mischief:

Oy.  I deserved that.  I should actually click on some of you guys' links for once...