Topic: Energy Breakthrough, Hoax, or Pure BS?  (Read 6041 times)

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
Energy Breakthrough, Hoax, or Pure BS?
« on: August 31, 2006, 11:04:51 am »
http://www.steorn.net/frontpage/default.aspx

We have developed a technology that produces free, clean and constant energy.

This means never having to recharge your phone, never having to refuel your car. A world with an infinite supply of clean energy for all.

Our technology has been independently validated by engineers and scientists - always off the record, always proven to work.

THE CHALLENGE
Validation Process

The process of testing Steorn's technology shall consist of three test phases. The process shall commence with the scientific jury appointing its own chairman. Steorn shall then provide an in-depth explanation of the operation of its technology and shall present the tests and test data conducted on the technology to date.

Steorn will cover all direct costs relating to the validation process.

Phase I
Confirm that the Steorn technology has a coefficient of performance greater than 100%.

Phase II
Confirm that the operation of the Steorn technology does not affect the component parts of the technology.

Phase III
Carry out a full thermodynamic analysis of the technology.

What Happens After Validation?

The jury’s analysis will be published on the company's website where everyone can register to receive the results.

The Company will then be seeking to license its technology into a variety of markets including the consumer electronics and automotive sectors. The company will also be releasing several products that it is developing itself.

The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
Re: Energy Breakthrough, Hoax, or Pure BS?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 11:11:38 am »
Pure BS in my opinion...BUT if actual...it would be a breakthrough.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline Just plain old Punisher

• Vice Admiral
  • I'm not facist, I just like wearing jackboots
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 02:01:11 pm »
If you believe this, I have a perpetual motion machine that I'd be willing to sell you...

"Sex is a lot like pizza.  If you're not careful you can blister your tongue". -Dracho

Offline Soliton

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 03:09:05 pm »
Every few years someone comes out with the claim that they've invented a perpetual motion machine or some free energy machine and that you can invest in their invention. None ever turn out to be more than BS. There have been lots of very smart people over the years, if such a device was possible, it would have been done long ago and in operation today.

It's kind of like the ads on late night TV touting some get-rich scheme, which can be yours for $19.99. If I had a get-rich scheme that worked, I'd wouldn't be selling it, I'd be hiring people to implement it and I'd be making big bucks off their efforts. Likewise if I had a free energy machine, I'd be building them, selling power to the power companies so that I could build more free energy machines and so on. I wouldn't be looking for people with whom I would have to share the spoils.

Edit: If you had a device producing energy that is more than 100% efficient. you wouldn't need investors in order to get rich off it. Even if such a device was only 101% efficient (unlike their claim of 285%), you could simply feed back into the device that excess with every cycle. Within a few years, you'd be powering the world without having to do anything but cash the checks.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 07:11:15 pm by Soliton »

Offline The Bar-Abbas Anomaly

• Alpha Dog
  • Commander
  • I may be synthetic, but I'm not stupid...
    • Alpha Dog Technical Services LLC
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 03:13:24 pm »

What Soliton said.

There is a test rig with wheels and cogs and four magnets meticulously aligned so as to create the maximum tension between their fields and one other magnet fixed to a point opposite. A motor rotates the wheel bearing the magnets and a computer takes 28,000 measurements a second. The magnets, naturally, act upon one another. And when it is all over, the computer tells us that almost three times the amount of energy has come out of the system as went in. In fact, this piece of equipment is 285% efficient.

Uh huh.  I've heard EXACTLY that same claim previously, minus the "28,000 measurements a second" taken by a computer.

I'll bet they got the design from John Titor, right?   ::)

Alpha Dog is in the HOUSE!!!  (But he needs to go out...)

Offline Just plain old Punisher

• Vice Admiral
  • I'm not facist, I just like wearing jackboots
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 04:02:33 pm »
Nothing is 100% effecient, much less 285% effecient.

"Sex is a lot like pizza.  If you're not careful you can blister your tongue". -Dracho

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 06:35:37 pm »
Almost certainly bogus.  A very small possibility they have tapped into something that they don't understand and which may or may not be useful.  The lack of facts that might allow you to judge this counts against it. They claim it has been independently validated - but don't say who by, not a good sign.

All of which are the reasons why I didn't post this several days ago when I first saw it. 
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Death_Merchant

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 11:01:58 am »
How to rate a scientific breakthrough:
(shout-out to the Crackpot Index http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/crackpot.html and Defense Tech)

1) Promises a “revolution in energy production” or seems to violate the laws of thermodynamics "We don't yet understand how".
Add 50 points. Add 25 points for claims of a “infinitely renewable.” Add 5 points for each time any derivative of the word “transformation” is used in promotional materials describing the device.

2) Is supposedly based on a “new” innovation, yet on closer examination, there are myriad examples of attempts using similar ideas in the past.
Add 10 points for each case of a similar idea in the past. Add another 15 points, for each case inventor/company was unaware of this earlier attempt, and thus failed to learn from past mistakes.

3) Lacks a realistic operational scenario of where or how such a device could be used.
Add 25 points. Add 15 points if inventor/company describes an operational scenario, but it has no relation to power transmission technology (i.e. microwave transmitter to your car).

4) The usability of the device assumes as yet unproven leaps in technology to reduce size, power generation or other critical elements.
Add 15 points for each needed technological advance.

5) The idea comes from someone who is unfamiliar with power generation or power electronics.
Add 15 points (this is slightly subjective, so add only five points if having toured a power plant, but never involved in any power generation matters). Add 20 points if  experience is derived from working in your garage.

6) Incorporates references to and/or inspiration from Star Trek, Star Wars, Buck Rogers, or video games.
Add 10 points for Star Trek, 5 points for Star Wars, 3 points for Buck Rogers, and 2 points for video games (regardless whether XBox or Playstation II).

7) Inventor/company argues that people also once doubted the feasibility of a nuclear energy, as if that automatically means that this device will work and/or is deserving of nearly unlimited funding.
Add 25 points. Also add 20 points if similar references are made to the Einstein, Thomas Edison or lightbulbs.

8 ) Claims foreign countries are working hard on this technology, and could overtake the United States if we don’t invest in it (without proof of such work).
Add 10 points for claiming Russia is working on the same type of device, 20 points for China, 30 points for North Korea, and 5 points for the French. Score extra 100 points if claim is that extraterrestrial life forms are working on it or use it (in fact, stop now if that’s the case – trust me, that’s a stupid concept).

9) Claims foreign governments have contacted inventor/company about buying the device and/or idea (but with no actual sales).
Add 10 points.

10 ) Relies on PowerPoint in lieu of engineering details to demonstrate workability.
Add 5 points for each cartoon depiction of technology not yet in existence.

11) References to previous funding as proof the idea is valid, because we all know that everything funded will work.
Add 5 points.

12) When presented with possible scientific laws that the device – as proposed – might violate, inventor/company simply insists the device works, and it’s up to the scientists to explain how.

Add 35 points.

13) Cost of the device (please include nonrecurring costs if the device doesn’t yet exist), exceeds that of similar one currently in inventory by a factor of 10.
Add 20 points for each factor of 10. Add another 5 points if you assert that costs will come down with mass production without being able to cite evidence for demand and/or how much those costs would be reduced.

14) Any proof the device works is openly paraded to the media, but questions about problems with the device are rebuffed by claims that the information is “classified” or “proprietary.”
Add 25 points.

15) Claims that the "scientific establishment" is engaged in a "conspiracy" to prevent your work from gaining its well-deserved fame, or suchlike
Add 40 points. Bonus 35 points if a world-wide challenge is offered. Triple bonus if the technical details will only be released to "a few selected experts".
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 11:22:22 am »
What I find interesting is that the forums over there are unregulated.  You can find all kinds of hateful crap on it.

I joined and made the comment that the site made me suspicious that someone was doing a behavioral science experiement and my post had disappeared within 10 minutes.
The worst enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.  - Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 11:29:34 am »
you got further then I did. When I signed up there forums wouldn't load. I kinda passed it off as well, they can't run a proper website, I kinda doubt there "Breakthrough"

I think there News/Press page was down also.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 02:45:25 pm »
The Jury is in:

The unanimous verdict of the Jury is that Steorn's attempts to demonstrate the claim have not shown the production of energy.

I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Dracho

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 03:11:44 pm »
Where there is smoke, there is fire.. and where there is the smell of bullsh*t, there is usually a big ole steaming pile of it.

Offline Bonk

• Commodore
  • You don't have to live like a refugee.
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 05:12:11 pm »
From the site:
How Orbo Works
Orbo is based upon time variant magnetic interactions, i.e. magnetic interactions whose efficiency varies as a function of transaction timeframes.

Methinks someone has kissed the Blarney stone one too many times. That was all I had to read.

I joined and made the comment that the site made me suspicious that someone was doing a behavioral science experiement and my post had disappeared within 10 minutes.

A much more likely scenario. Reinforced by the supposed location of their first public talks on the technology - February: Qatar, UAE and Oman - March: Saudi Arabia and Bahrain.... For real?!?   Yeahhhh righhhtt. That is where the penny really dropped for me. Also, that was some time ago, what about the US talks? Did these mid-east presentations ever happen? Perhaps the whole thing was someone digging for the reaction of OPEC to the potential obsolesence of oil?

The opening talks locations gives the whole thing the feel of a joke. It is a shame that these clowns have decided to tarnish the blossoming Irish technological reputation. (hey, a Guinness employee gave us the t-test)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2017, 03:37:27 pm »
Company liquidated last November.  They blew through 23 million euros without proving anything or publishing anything that could be used to duplicate their work. 

Offline AlDaja

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • SFC:III Troubleshooter
    • Starfleet Command Forums
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2017, 06:39:40 pm »
Company liquidated last November.  They blew through 23 million euros without proving anything or publishing anything that could be used to duplicate their work.

Lol!  I'm presuming we are talking about Steorn Ltd?  Saw the guy last year on a documentary.  Listening to him talk it was obvious he was peddling pseudoscience.  It baffles me how much cash he was able to get from his donors.  People can't help being stupid I guess.  Not surprised his company went belly up. 
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2017, 10:50:50 am »
Yeah it is Steorn.