Topic: MS Vista and Direct X10  (Read 2182 times)

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
MS Vista and Direct X10
« on: September 04, 2006, 04:42:31 pm »
  I read up on a GW Forum that MS is coming out with a new OS called MS Vista and a new Direct X 10 to go along with it.My question is this how will this affect those playing SFC series of games I know SFC1 is hard to play on XP.What I would like to know though is how will SFC2 EAW and OP as well 3 play with MS Vista and the new Direct X 10?I will probably will be sticking with XP and DX90c but I just wanted to know for future reference.Thanks

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
Re: MS Vista and Direct X10
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 05:08:27 pm »
We're all screwed.

But that's What MS does nowdays to people.

Don't worry, they'll come out with an MS sponsored game to try to steal your soul soon enough...
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline Just plain old Punisher

• Vice Admiral
  • I'm not facist, I just like wearing jackboots
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 05:10:50 pm »
Anything that works on XP will work with Vista.

"Sex is a lot like pizza.  If you're not careful you can blister your tongue". -Dracho

Offline Dash Jones

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 03:45:30 pm »

Sarcasm on

Yeah...right.  I can see just how backwards compatible ALL MS's OS's are...everything that ran on Win 3.1, Win95, Win98, Win2000, run perfectly and smoothly on WinXP...

Sarcasm Off

NOOOOT.

In fact, we were HOSED with WinXP in the gaming department.  Only after YEARS is is slightly workable with most of the games that worked on Win98, with Win95 and Win3.1 games...we're REALLY hosed...still...afterall this time...

Program wise...Win2000 users are STILL hosed in some of the science program areas...not that MS cares one wit...afterall...how much business does the science and medical arena give them...they should just upgrade to the LOWER quality programs MS puts out right...the ones that don't tell squat except general information...

Sorry if I keep an older computer just to run those programs for school...seeing MS has NOTHING that can even come close in comparison that runs on XO (though ironically there are some things that run on Linux ironically enough, don't know how they managed that one).

And let's not even get started on DOS...and it's compatibility with WinXP...

As I said, seeing how much of a system hog Vista looks like it's going to be, and some of the items they are trying to institute into it...We're ALL hosed.

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 07:17:33 pm »

Sarcasm on

Yeah...right.  I can see just how backwards compatible ALL MS's OS's are...everything that ran on Win 3.1, Win95, Win98, Win2000, run perfectly and smoothly on WinXP...

Sarcasm Off

NOOOOT.

In fact, we were HOSED with WinXP in the gaming department.  Only after YEARS is is slightly workable with most of the games that worked on Win98, with Win95 and Win3.1 games...we're REALLY hosed...still...afterall this time...

Program wise...Win2000 users are STILL hosed in some of the science program areas...not that MS cares one wit...afterall...how much business does the science and medical arena give them...they should just upgrade to the LOWER quality programs MS puts out right...the ones that don't tell squat except general information...

Sorry if I keep an older computer just to run those programs for school...seeing MS has NOTHING that can even come close in comparison that runs on XO (though ironically there are some things that run on Linux ironically enough, don't know how they managed that one).

And let's not even get started on DOS...and it's compatibility with WinXP...

As I said, seeing how much of a system hog Vista looks like it's going to be, and some of the items they are trying to institute into it...We're ALL hosed.

Sorry you still like your ancient OS. DOS isn't compadible with windows XP. There is a MS DOS window, but you can't run any TSR programs, since that requires a HAL interface.

If you really like windows 98, well you can dual boot it. Put XP on one partition and Windows 98 on another.

98 and it's bastard cousin ME, were all horrible preformers in my opinion...and often I had to format and reinstall every 4-5 months due to eventual crashes.

Look, unless you have a fairly new computer with at least 1 gig of ram, I wouldn't even consider using Vista.

"Sex is a lot like pizza.  If you're not careful you can blister your tongue". -Dracho

Offline Dash Jones

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 07:27:31 pm »
Hence back to the original question of if SFC would be compatible with Vista.

MS has been hosing us with this backwards compatibility stuff and I expect them to get worse with Vista.

-------

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 07:51:07 pm »
As I said before, anything that works with XP will work with Vista (For the most part).

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006, 08:02:07 pm »
Link to full article

Partners Say Vista RC1 Close But Not Quite Ready
Another partner who declined to be named cited ongoing interoperability problems affecting Vista's interaction with existing hardware and software and potential price issues that consumers may have about the new high-end version, known as Ultimate.

"There are still major concerns about hardware and software interoperability, including the inability to get the tablet functionality working correctly," said the Microsoft solution provider, which is based in the Midwest. "Pricing looks high to me, especially the Ultimate package for $400. That is the cost of a low-end computer."
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."