Topic: Why We Fight  (Read 3013 times)

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
Why We Fight
« on: September 14, 2006, 07:28:07 am »
Microscopic, depressing little nugget I've never posted. 

La'ra is a character who is close to my heart, if for no other reason than the voice in my head that represents him laments that he cannot save everyone.

--------

Why We Fight

The blood was old, dry, and covered most of the yacht's deck.

"How many were aboard?" La'ra asked.

"Six." Ran'jar’s mouth twitched. "All but the children are... accounted for."

"How long ago?"

"A month."  Ran'jar's informed.  There'd be no finding the raiders… or their prizes.

Hiv’laposh had found the pleasure boat adrift.  If they'd sent a distress call, no one had heard it.

La’ra’s gaze fell upon one of the woman.  He wondered whether she’d been pretty.

"How long were they here?"

“Three days."

La'ra closed his eyes and cursed.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Grim Reaper

• The 4th Horseman, the Lord of Death
  • Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
Re: Why We Fight
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 10:44:00 am »
Was looking to a 9/11 docu the other day, gives the same feeling as La'ra probably getting.
Snickers@DND: If there is one straight answer in that bent little head of yours, you'd better start spillin' it pretty damn quick, or I'm gonna take a large, blunt object, roughly the size of Kallae AND his hat and shove it lengthwise up a crevice of your being so seldomly cleaned that even the denizens of the nine hells would not touch it with a 10-feet rusty pole

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 11:08:23 pm »
I never expected you would write anything with an unhappy ending, my friend...no matter how short.

This is progress.

--thu guv!
'It's a lot of hard work being a mean bastard...' --Captain Eric Finlander, CO USS Bedford (The Bedford Incident)

'Jaken...are you pretending to be dead?' --Lord Sesshomaru, Inuyasha.

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 11:10:47 pm »
I never expected you would write anything with an unhappy ending, my friend...no matter how short.

You've read a couple with sucky endings before.:)
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."

Offline Scottish Andy

• First Officer of the Good Ship Kusanagi
  • Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 08:28:52 am »
Yes, I think I had the end point of this little piece in mind when I did that Chronicle I've not posted yet but let you see, Larry. This kind of garbage exists, you want, almost need to go after them, but you can't for one reason or another.

And even if you do catch them, what then? As non-Starfleet you have "options", but the upright, uptight guardians of the Federation cannot do what they'd want to, or they'll become a disgrace to their uniform...

PS. "Sucky" is different from "unhappy" *grin*
Come visit me at:  www.Starbase23.net

The Senior Service rocks! Rule, Britannia!

The Doctor: "Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink."
Mickey: "Wot's that?"
The Doctor: "No idea. Just made it up. Didn't want to say 'Magic Door'."
- Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 10:07:01 pm »

You've read a couple with sucky endings before.:)

Maybe with what YOU concider sucky, perhaps... Usually your heroes win the day in at least some small measure.

And as to Andy's response...Ford would figure out a way to see justice done...Vic Macky style. (A reference from 'The Shield', for those who don't watch FX or Spike TV) IE: when Vic makes sure a killer/rapist he has no evidence on gets accidently 'deported' to Mexico, even though he's an American citizen... They love rapists down there in THOSE jails...

--thu guv!
'It's a lot of hard work being a mean bastard...' --Captain Eric Finlander, CO USS Bedford (The Bedford Incident)

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 10:15:38 pm »
Heh.  Remember, though, your favorite style of movie is the type where a 'happy ending' is that 'one person lived'. ;D

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 12:04:24 am »
IF that...

--thu guv!