Topic: Voyager airs on Spike TV tomorrow  (Read 3567 times)

Offline Alidar Jarok

• Commander
  • He Took My Sammich
Voyager airs on Spike TV tomorrow
« on: December 17, 2006, 09:45:52 pm »
Starting tomorrow at 9 am, a Star Trek Voyager marathon will begin airing on Spike TV.  I'm probably not the only one who didn't regularly watch Voyager when it first aired, so, if you feel like it, you can check it out.  I'm not sure how much I can see, but I'll try to tune in when I get the chance.
From Me to You - The Beatles

If there's anything that you want,
If there's anything i can do,
Just call on me and i'll send it along
With love from me to you.

Offline Chris Johnson

• I used to be a Captain a forum or two ago...
  • Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
Re: Voyager airs on Spike TV tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 02:16:14 pm »
Finally?  I gave up on "The New TNN" which turned to "Spike" rather quickly afterwards... I had little intrest in the network, and gave up on it in early 2006 when the prediction (I believe back in late-'01/early-'02) for Voyager being broadcasted on (then) TNN didn't seem to ring up as true.  All I can hope for are VHS or DVD copies of it or other shows in the future as either a Christmas or Birthday present.

I sometimes wonder if I should be amused at a more PC sci-fi show (that's truely optimistic) being broadcasted at a very-non-PC show... *shrug* But I over-analyze things and shouldn't take anything seriously.  Although I'm a few days late to tape from the beginning (as I was with Season 3 of BSG when it was running as a marathon so I failed to catch up again), I must thank you for telling me.  I'm currently watching the middle of Voyager, at least before Jeri Ryan took over as the ship's _______ (make up your own joke here).

"Oh, shut up!" -- Wil Wheaton to Wesley Crusher

Offline U.S.S. Andromeda

• Galaxy class
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 04:43:40 pm »
....funny, i just registered and I've been watching that :)
they have marathons all this week! If ya have DVR now is the time :)

Offline Chris Johnson

• I used to be a Captain a forum or two ago...
  • Lt.
  • Hai! Hai!
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 05:24:52 pm »
They're likely past all the good ones that came pre-"Scorpion" [VGR]... Don't get me wrong, there are some good ones past that and bad ones beforehand, but I thought it was better before that two-parter in '97.

"Oh, shut up!" -- Wil Wheaton to Wesley Crusher

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 09:03:37 pm »
The more I watch, the more I realize why this failed to catch on.  Are they even speaking English half the time?

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.

Offline Alidar Jarok

• Commander
  • He Took My Sammich
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 09:57:12 pm »
I seem to be missing about the same amount of episodes I missed when it first aired (which sucks).  I'll have to catch it when they re-air them.  I know why I like Enterprise better, though.  It seems a lot of the complaints directed against Star Trek comes from this show.  They rely significantly on the holodeck and there is a crapload of technobabble (I can't believe they get their lines off). 

One thing I do like is something Janeway does.  In other shows, the Captain listens to a suggestion and says "make it so" (OK, that's Picard ;) ).  Janeway clearly comes from a science or engineering background.  When Torres says some technobabble, she follows the exact same train of thought and continues on with the idea.  Its a pain to listen to, but it is something that sets her appart.

I did manage to catch Scorpian pts 1 and 2, which might be my favorite episodes of Voyager, so I'm glad I saw them.  I still want to make it a resolution to watch more Voyager episodes (a lot of them are extremely generic, but I'm sure there are good ones I either don't remember well or never saw).

Offline Rat Boy

• Bringer of the Funk
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 11:23:18 pm »
Kate Mulgrew had this wonderful line where she said that learning the dialogue for Voyager was akin to learning a foreign language.  Maybe this isn't true for the episodes of the Seven of Nine era, but in every one I've watched this week up to this point, the dialogue is so heavily laced with technobable that it's hard for me to understand the writer's logic when they wrote it, not only for the understanding of the actors but for the audience as well.  It's one thing for the characters to know what they're saying, but the audience needs to both buy into what's said and at least have an understanding of it.  I suppose most of us here have a leg-up on the average viewer when it comes to that sort of thing, but VOY took it to an obscene extreme.  At its worst, TNG was never that submerged in scientific talk.

"Chaos Theory, Part II" now available.

Offline Alidar Jarok

• Commander
  • He Took My Sammich
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 11:34:11 pm »
I remember reading somewhere that writers would often just write TECH in the script and someone else would later fill in something that sounded like it could fit the situation.  I think the writers knew that they were using it too much also (Enterprise seemed to do a good job of cutting a lot of it out).  Of course, it wasn't the only thing in an episode, so it doesn't destroy the enjoyment I might get (but it does become distracting).

Offline U.S.S. Andromeda

• Galaxy class
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2006, 05:17:20 pm »

I did manage to catch Scorpian pts 1 and 2, which might be my favorite episodes of Voyager, so I'm glad I saw them.  I still want to make it a resolution to watch more Voyager episodes (a lot of them are extremely generic, but I'm sure there are good ones I either don't remember well or never saw).

i agree to that, the best episodes, but enterprise still lacked originality, often copying old ideas and storylines from the original ST,

and voyager is still entertaining, but gets itself crushed by DS9 and TNG lol...

Offline Alidar Jarok

• Commander
  • He Took My Sammich
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2006, 06:54:43 pm »
I'm still missing a lot of episodes.  I thought one episode I saw had an interesting premise (the episode being "Night").  Even if an area devoid of stars probably shouldn't have caused the reaction it did, it created a new feel for the episode that I really liked (it was sort of a combination of the doldrum areas where there are no wind for sailors and the very deep sea in the ocean).

762_XC

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2006, 11:40:39 am »
In other news, Spike TV's shares dropped over 50% overnight as investors raced to the phones.

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2006, 05:37:22 pm »
In other news, Spike TV's shares dropped over 50% overnight as investors raced to the phones.

:rofl:
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel