Topic: Zodiac class "heavy cruiser"  (Read 1921 times)

Offline Scottish Andy

• First Officer of the Good Ship Kusanagi
  • Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
Zodiac class "heavy cruiser"
« on: January 29, 2007, 10:25:16 am »
Hi all,

I was wondering of someone has made a model for the Zodiac class USS Yorktown NCC-61137 mentioned in 'TNG: All Good Things'. If someone has made one, I'd like to see it.

if no one has, I'd like to propose a format for her. With this registry, I'd be expecting a Galaxy-style ship, or maybe New Orleans and Cheyenne-style. The size would be in between the Galaxy 'explorer' type and the New Orleans 'frigate' type, but I'm imaging it would be closer to the New Orleans size. Maybe around 400m-450m long. The hull form may resemble an upsized New Orleans, but more elegantly put together.

Any takers?

Additional:

So far, the only ones I've come up with has been here:

http://www.shipschematics.net/startrek/images/federation/strikecruiser_zodiac.jpg

This is not bad, but I'd like the secondary and primary hulls more balanced, in the tradition of thhe Constitution, Excelsior and Ambassador instead of the galaxy with its oversized saucer.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 11:29:44 am by Scottish Andy »
Come visit me at:  www.Starbase23.net

The Senior Service rocks! Rule, Britannia!

The Doctor: "Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink."
Mickey: "Wot's that?"
The Doctor: "No idea. Just made it up. Didn't want to say 'Magic Door'."
- Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
Re: Zodiac class "heavy cruiser"
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 01:39:19 pm »
It looks like an Ambassador with Galaxy Nacelles and a tweeked secondary hull. If this is the case, it's been done. It's at Battleclinic.

http://www.battleclinic.com/docks/files/dist/index.php/file,ba5a18a8df0218a86b8a6b3e1374dada.zip

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.

Offline Scottish Andy

• Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 04:35:00 pm »
Thanks for the link, MP.

I did say that this was the only image remotely linked to the Zodiac class. I was hoping for some imaginative person to come up with an original design according to my outline. I have no kitbashing art programs. Maybe I'll try playing around with photoshop tonight and design myself a ship.

Offline Scottish Andy

• Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 10:41:42 am »
MP, your Surak-class patrol cruiser is an excellent design - even if you got the registry number wrong  ;). Memory Alpha has the USS Zapata NCC-33184 as a Surak class ship, makingher much older than the Galaxy style components of your ship suggests.

As such, I was wondering though that it might be a better design for the Zodiac class I've been looking for. Since your Surak uses full-scale Galaxy-class components, despite her cleaner, cruiser-style lines she is almost the same ship as the more scrunched-up Nebula class. I was wondering, for an older heavy cruiser design that is a contemporary of the Wolf 359 ships of Niagara, New Orleans and Springfield classes, that my Zodiac could be a little different.

I was envisioning the following:

Zodiac class is a heavy cruiser with a slightly enlarged New Orleans-class or slightly shrunken Galaxy-class secondary hull; two full-size Galaxy-class nacelles mounted on their sides and connected directly to the widest part of the secondary hull by short, straight, thick pylons; a cut down Galaxy-class neck only 3-4 decks high; and a Niagara-class or enlarged New Orleans-class (without the additional pods) saucer section.

Would anyone be interested in constructing my Zodiac class for me?

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 01:51:55 pm »
MP, your Surak-class patrol cruiser is an excellent design - even if you got the registry number wrong  ;). Memory Alpha has the USS Zapata NCC-33184 as a Surak class ship, makingher much older than the Galaxy style components of your ship suggests.

As such, I was wondering though that it might be a better design for the Zodiac class I've been looking for. Since your Surak uses full-scale Galaxy-class components, despite her cleaner, cruiser-style lines she is almost the same ship as the more scrunched-up Nebula class. I was wondering, for an older heavy cruiser design that is a contemporary of the Wolf 359 ships of Niagara, New Orleans and Springfield classes, that my Zodiac could be a little different.

I was envisioning the following:

Zodiac class is a heavy cruiser with a slightly enlarged New Orleans-class or slightly shrunken Galaxy-class secondary hull; two full-size Galaxy-class nacelles mounted on their sides and connected directly to the widest part of the secondary hull by short, straight, thick pylons; a cut down Galaxy-class neck only 3-4 decks high; and a Niagara-class or enlarged New Orleans-class (without the additional pods) saucer section.

Would anyone be interested in constructing my Zodiac class for me?

MY registry is NOT wrong as my ship was based on this physical model .................
http://www.inpayne.com/models/kitbash/trekpage_surak.html If you had read the ship history you would have known this

OUTALANCE SHIPYARDS
U.S.S. Surak NCC-65601
Federation Light Cruiser

Owner : United Federation of Planets
Class : Medium Ship
Availability : Unlimited Deploymentt
In Service : 2367
Out of Service : n/a
------------
Designed as a patrol cruiser, the Surak is more compact than its big sisters, the Galaxy class and Nebula class explorers.
With a slightly smaller secondary hull housing more hangar area, and fewer crew allowing more cargo space, this class' primary task is patrolling the Federation's borders and resupplying outposts.
Pressed into service during the Maquis crisis, a ship named after a great peacemaker accounted for herself well in battle.

* Corrected HP's/Dp's 01May06
------------
Author : ModelsPlease
Original mesh and textures : Rick Knox a.k.a. Pnuemonic81 (p81)
Kitbashed by : ModelsPlease
Retextured by : ModelsPlease
Hardpoints/Damage points : ModelsPlease
Based on a physical model by : John Payne

;D

Maybe a design like the one I attached would work for you .........

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.

Offline Scottish Andy

• Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 05:26:23 pm »
I read the history, MP. I just thought you were spitballing.  ;D  You usually do pretty good workups on all the models you put together, and I enjoy reading them even if I might not agree with all that's said. I appreciate the effort gone to to create such a backstory, being a writer myself.

Mind you, are you telling me now that all your histories are actually the blurbs of the people whose ships you bash?

That kitbashed Surak (thanks for the link) is not bad looking at all, but like I said I really like the design anyway. I'm just thinking that Trek naming conventions are an oxymoron. In any reasonable world, the Surak would be a Diplomatic ship with little or no armament, but hell, that would be too sensible. New Orleans class ships would be named after cities of the Federation, not figures from the American Revolutionary War or islands, but that's a whole other rant.

So, ya don't wanna make my Zodiac (as detailed in my description) then?

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 11:25:01 pm »
Mind you, are you telling me now that all your histories are actually the blurbs of the people whose ships you bash?

If my bash is based on someones physical model or they create a history for a drwing they do yes absolutely, who am I to change their idea   ;D