Topic: Big Time  (Read 19766 times)

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
Re: Big Time
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2007, 10:24:56 pm »
All your secondary characters are always so damn friendly...

Nice tie over for the rest of the story. And I await more.

-rog
'It's a lot of hard work being a mean bastard...' --Captain Eric Finlander, CO USS Bedford (The Bedford Incident)

'Jaken...are you pretending to be dead?' --Lord Sesshomaru, Inuyasha.

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2007, 03:48:44 pm »
Was trying to make Knightsaint one of those guys who's so freakin' nice you feel bad if you get mad at them, just to make it hard for Bob to blow him off. ;D
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2007, 09:14:18 pm »
I remember you mentioning that. He wasn't the one I was thinking of, but still fits the bill.

--guv!
'It's a lot of hard work being a mean bastard...' --Captain Eric Finlander, CO USS Bedford (The Bedford Incident)

Offline Scottish Andy

• First Officer of the Good Ship Kusanagi
  • Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2007, 02:13:56 pm »
Was trying to make Knightsaint one of those guys who's so freakin' nice you feel bad if you get mad at them, just to make it hard for Bob to blow him off.

Succeeded there, then. Although, the "wife and kids to support" thing was kinda cheesy.
Come visit me at:  www.Starbase23.net

The Senior Service rocks! Rule, Britannia!

The Doctor: "Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink."
Mickey: "Wot's that?"
The Doctor: "No idea. Just made it up. Didn't want to say 'Magic Door'."
- Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2007, 04:26:40 pm »
That's what Bob thought too. ;D
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2007, 07:31:25 am »
Didn't realize how close I was getting to the end until this scene was written.  It was in my head as something I wanted to include right from the get go, and it was meant to be relatively close to the climax. 

Wouldn't mind some feedback on here...it's been remarked by a beta reader that a certain character in this sequence seems to be 'running away' from Bob, which is not the impression I wanted to create.  Lemme know if it feels that way to ya'll.

-----------------------

The nuisances of the day seemed less important when faced with a plate of General Tso's chicken.  Jill helped too.

"Why the big objection to Hero Corps?"  Jill asked.  She preferred a variety of stir-fried veggies, with just a little bit of sweet and sour pork.

I munched on my chicken, drank some soda.

"Wasn't so much Hero Corps as him waking me up."  I admitted. 

Jill laughed.  "Not the best way to approach you, probably.  Still, can't see you getting all wrapped up with the UN and Longbow anyway."

"That's Freedom Corps."  I clarified.

Behind a scholarly-looking pair of glasses, Jill's eyes narrowed.

"Oh."  She said.  "Hero Corps are the mercenaries?"

"I guess you could call 'em that.  They still do superhero stuff, but they're...well, say you've got something the cops aren't investigating or other heroes think is a dead end, but you happen to have some spare cash..."

"...or your industrial park isn't well-protected enough for your taste..."  Jill added.

"Yeah."

"Not sure I like the idea of Hero Corps."

"Lot of people don't."

Jill shrugged. "Takes all kinds, I suppose."

"Yeah."

We took a few more bites of our food.

"Like the hair."  I said in between mouthfuls of Crab Wonton.

"It looks okay.  Miss having...you know, more of it."
I grinned.  Jill is a tall, willowy woman, attractive in that studious librarian way.  Up until a couple of months ago she'd had waist-length brown hair.   She'd lost it in a painful manner.  I'd gotten over blaming myself for it, for the most part.

"Still looks good."  I said.  It did.  She had an unruly and expensive looking 'do.

"Yeah, people keep saying it suits me.  Not very witchy, though.  I need to be all long-haired and mysterious looking."

"You're wearing a sweater in July."  I pointed out.

"You're getting spoiled by all those hero chicks running around in bathing suits."

"Job does have it's perks."

"'Perk' is a word that those outfits bring to mind.  Speaking of your job, though...what's bothering you?"

More wontons and chicken before I replied.

"Not one big thing, really.  Lots of small stuff."

Jill nodded, didn't say anything.  She's a good listener.

"Always kinda had this idea that capes were basically a bunch of thrill freaks running around in spandex.  That's one reason I didn't want to apply for a license.  Some of 'em do a lot of good...but you know.  Lots of flash.  Even when I ended up licensed, I figured I wouldn't be like that..."

"You're not like that.  Your partner is, but you're not."  Jill said.

"Bytor helped.  He's a good guy."  I related.  "Makes ya' think even with all the hoo-hah, we'll save someone, or do something worth the effort."

"But?"

"But yesterday morning I ended up doing the exact same thing I always rolled my eyes at."

"Thing with the truck?"

"Yeah."

"Well...so what?  I mean, you saved a lot of property..."

"High-speed chase down the Talos Island freeway might've killed someone.  Bunch of cars aren't really worth that."  I stopped for a second, took a drink.  "Keep telling myself it'd have happened without us there, and that we stopped it sooner than anyone else could've...but I'm worried I'm rationalizing it."

"Why are you worried that you're rationalizing it."

"Spent a lot of time learning to do the stuff I do.  Getting to do it...sometimes I enjoy it."

"I'm so there sometimes." Jill admitted.  "I can throw a mean mystic energy ball, ya' know."

"You can?"

"Yeah! Learned it for 'self-defense'.  Only time anything's happened where I could've used it, I forgot I knew how."  She rolled her eyes.

"I'll go buy you a costume."

She snorted.  "Not a chance.  I'm the mysterious mystic advisor to superheroes, not one myself.  It's safer and sexier.  Anyway...keep going."

"Well...."  I shrugged.  "...you know.  Didn't learn all this crap so I could enjoy beating the hell out of people."

"I doubt you enjoyed causing hurt.  You might've enjoyed the...conflict.  The competition."  She considered.  "And I doubt you'd have enjoyed that much if you'd been doing something that wasn't saving a bunch of property...or someone."

"I keep telling myself that, too."

"Is it true?"

"Yeah."

"Then why are you worried."

"Because I'm fretful."

"You're a water sign.  Probably unavoidable."

"Oh."  I finished my chicken.  I still had a wonton left, so life was good.  "Something else, though."

Jill quirked an eyebrow.

"Wasn't just civilians that could've been hurt or killed, ya' know?  What if I'd kicked someone off the truck?"

"Weren't they shooting at you?"

"Yes.  Still didn't like the idea of killing them."

"I'm no kung-fu expert, but I think you're good enough that if you wanted to kick them off the truck, you would've.  But you didn't."
"Maybe.  Teacher always told me that no one is good enough that they can't have an unlucky moment."

"You think you've been lucky?"

"Yeah.  Some."  I paused.  "Luck isn't something I should be relying on.  It's..."

I stopped.  Jill's expression turned to surprise.  I was suddenly aware of someone standing next to me.  Sandalwood and charcoal teased my nostrils.

The genie looked different than I remembered her.  Her skin was a more human shade, dusky in a Middle Eastern Fashion.  Her curly hair was still flame-colored.  She was wearing some of Jill's clothes, which fit her oddly thanks to curves Jill possessed in lesser quantity.  Her eyes were yellow.  Not like a cat's;  like the cooler flames of a campfire.

She spoke.  Her words were in a language I couldn't understand.  It seemed like Arabic, but there was a different quality to it, almost like listening to Portugese when you were used to Spanish.  Her tone was a bit bossy, and she went on for longer than I expected.  Then she turned and walked off with a huff, disappearing into Jill's spare bedroom.

"Huh?"  I said.  Jill was giggling.

"What'd she say?"  I asked.

"Erm...point boils down to 'Fortune favors the bold.'"

"Boils down to?"

"She seems to think you worry too much and explained why she thought you shouldn't do that."

"She didn't sound like she was being nice about it."

"She was being kind of brusque."  Jill admitted.  "Weird thing though...think that's the most I've heard her say at once."

"Not a talker?"

Jill laughed.  "She talks.  We talk.  She's just not usually that animated unless something's irritating her."

"I have a way with women."  I claimed.

"Especially ones who throw fire."

"Apparently."

"She asks a lot of questions about you."  Jill said.  She had that look in her eyes, the one that implied she was sharing a secret.  "What you're like and stuff."

"She does?"

"Yeah.  In a funny way, too, like she doesn't want me to realize she ask.  She seems curious."

"So why isn't she eating dinner with us?"

"Well, she doesn't have to eat unless she wants too...and when I asked her she said she wasn't ready to talk to you yet.  Kind of used her princess tone, too."

"Fire Genies have princess tones?"

"Not foofy princess.  Imperious princess."

"That makes more sense."  I considered Jill's guest, threw a glance toward the guest bedroom.  The door wasn't completely shut, but I couldn't see genie-girl.  "Wonder what she wants to know."

"Most of the stuff she's asked has been general.  What you're like, how do you do that kung-fu stuff, etcetera."  Jill shrugged.  "And she backs off if I call her on it."

"Huh."  I said.  "She can probably hear us, you know."

"I told her I'd tell you."  Jill smiled.  There was a hint of victory in the smile.  Probably a story there.

The subject shifted after that, away from heroes and fire genies and onto books and movies and what'd happened over the past couple of weeks.  It was eleven when she decided she needed to go to bed.  I was tired too, and her couch is comfortable.

My cell phone buzzed sometime in the darker morning hours.  It was Bytor.

"Couple of Outcasts tried to rob a cape over on University Avenue."  He proclaimed happily.  "Chick was home!  Cops say they knew where Rock Boy is, they're giving us first crack if we want it."

"I'm on my way." 

"Hell yeah!"  He whooped.  We hung up.

I got up off Jill's couch, trying to be quiet.  Her apartment was dark, but light from the street outside made it possible to find my shirt, hat, and keys.  I eased the door open.  When I turned around to make sure it was locked, there were a pair of fiery yellow eyes gazing at me from the spare bedroom.

I couldn't see the rest of the genie, but I locked gazes with her, briefly.  She wasn't interested in a staring contest.  There was a hint of motion, and she was gone.

I felt an odd quiver in my stomach.  It was the type of feeling I'd been taught to pay attention to, but it didn't feel like danger.  I knew I'd be seeing Genie-Girl again soon.

I closed the door as quietly as I could and headed for the car.

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2007, 09:37:07 pm »
I like the nice, quiet dinner scene. No one going any where, No one shooting at any one. A nice conversation and good dialogue. Some of the better dialogue you've done, BTW, though if I was the witch-chick, I'd slap Bob for eating so damn often in between answering my damn questions. But that's just me. She's probably more patient with such things.

I also point out that Bob has better manners than you, in that he waits till he's done eating before answering, rather than going ahead and occasionally spilling slobbery food to the table  ;D

I liked this, and no, I have no feeling of any one running from Bob.

Continue on, my man!

--thu guv!

Offline Grim Reaper

• The 4th Horseman, the Lord of Death
  • Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2007, 02:51:54 am »
the genie kinda did, but other then that no runnin' imho. Still gotta agree with the guv. quiet, slow, good dialog. Which is good. But then again, it's me thats talking and i'm kinda going Bytor on you. Let's go kick some AASSSSS!!! *grin*

Now gimme more!

Snickers@DND: If there is one straight answer in that bent little head of yours, you'd better start spillin' it pretty damn quick, or I'm gonna take a large, blunt object, roughly the size of Kallae AND his hat and shove it lengthwise up a crevice of your being so seldomly cleaned that even the denizens of the nine hells would not touch it with a 10-feet rusty pole

Offline Scottish Andy

• Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2007, 11:27:03 am »
I didn't get the feeling that anyone was running away from Bob - except for the Genie, who obviously left in a hurry.

This was a good piece, and I like that Bob gets the idea of talking while eating, and not neglecting either. Pet peeve in TV shows is people ordering food and never actually eating it because they're too busy with dialogue.

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2007, 03:25:05 am »
Finally steered my way back toward this one.  Helps to remember that I'm close to the end.

--------------------

The apartment the Outcasts had tried to rob was in college-student land.  Bytor was waiting at the curb.  He wasn't alone.

"Your guy is two blocks down."  Detective Sexy informed.  It was warm out tonight, and her suit jacket was long gone.  I could see a gun and a badge clipped to the waistband of her slacks. 

"We know it's him?"  I asked.  The Impala's passenger door opened.  Bytor eased in.

"Snipers got a visual."  The Detective confirmed.  "Fourth floor apartment in the Ericcson Building.  No sign of the girl."

Snipers?  I frowned.  Sexy noted the expression.

"He's dangerous.  Can't let him escape this time."  She said.  "Got a police cordon around a two block radius.  MRT's ready to go in, but you guys can probably..."

"...right."  I answered.

"Lifesavers and heartbreakers."  chuckled Bytor.  Sexy grinned at him.

"Any other backup?"  I asked.

"If you mean capes, no.  Call whoever you want."

"All right."

"Good luck."  She said.

I smiled at her, nodded.  The Impala eased down the street.

I parked a decent distance down the street from Beavis' hideout.  He knew my car pretty intimately.

"Think we need some more backup."  I admitted.

"Ah come on.  It's just him."  Bytor replied.

"Yeah, but Detective Sexy is right.  He's dangerous.  And I'll bet he has friends around."

"We took him out pretty easy yesterday."  Bytor paused.  "Detective Sexy?"

"I suck with names.  That's hers until I can remember her real one."

"It do fit."

I grinned.  "I don't want him to get away."

"Cops all around the place.  Even if he beats us both down, he ain't gettin' away."

"Ends up between him and the cops, it'll be messy."  I said.

"Yeah."  He admitted.  "Probably."

"He might know where the girl is, too."

"Man, you and fire chicks."

"Think the Doc was right.  She's trouble."

"I can see that."  He said.  "So who're we calling."

I reached into my pocket.  Knightsaint's business card was still there.

"I know a guy."  I said.

"Me too."  Bytor replied.  We pulled out our cell phones.

Offline Scottish Andy

• Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2007, 01:14:10 pm »
"We took him out pretty easy yesterday."  Bytor paused.  "Detective Sexy?"

"I suck with names.  That's hers until I can remember her real one."

I. LOVE. THIS!  :D

I was surprised as hell when he actually said "Detective Sexy" out loud. I thought he'd slipped up and would be embarrassed. But that only lasted until 2 lines later. This is my way of writing like Larry. ;D

I missed these guys. I may print this whole thing out to read on the bus home tonight. 1984 is good, but I'm needing something more enjoyable, more... "up".

Lets hear more from these guys!

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2007, 03:48:23 am »
Next little bit...very close to the climax...

---------------

Knightsaint was surprisingly businesslike when I called him.  Not sure what I was expecting.

"Sixth and University."  He repeated.  "Be there in about ten."

"Our guy's on the fourth floor.  410."

"What you want me to do?"  He asked.  King's Row accent was coming out again.

"Cover the front of the building.  If he bolts, you nab him."

"Description?"  He asked.

"Average height, yellow eyes, brownish skin.  Probably wearing Outcast colors.  Not hard to spot." 

"'Dyne head?"

"Yeah.  Watch him, he's stout."

Warren chuckled.  It was a big, honest sound.

"All right."  He said.  "See you in ten."

"All right."  We hung up.

Next to me, Bytor was wrapping up arrangement with whoever he was calling.  He closed his cell phone.

"She'll be here in a couple minutes."  He said.

"Girlfriend?"  I asked.

"Yeah.  Yours."

"Ass."

Bytor grinned.  I stared at the building down the street.  It was an older building, brick and concrete, with Paragon City's once-mandated external fire escapes.  A car slid by.  No one I knew.

"Figure with our buds covering the exits we can go in and get him pretty easy."  Bytor said.

"Yeah."

"How you wanna play it?"

"Depends.  Sexy say anything about anyone else in the apartment."

"There with a girl...not ours though.  Cops know her, say she's a gang groupie, picked her up when she went out on a food run."

"So he's alone."

"Yeah.  Clear sailing."

"Yeah."  Unless you lived in the apartments around or above him.  I worried a moment about the police grabbing Beavis' girlfriend.  If she'd been on a run to the corner market, he might start getting suspicious when she wasn't back soon.  I didn't think about it long.

"Ever kill anyone?"  I asked.

I'd asked the question out of the blue.  Bytor didn't seem to mind.

"Yeah, man."  He shrugged.  "Couple times."

I nodded.

"First one was some freak in black spandex.  Grabbed a school bus, wired it to blow.  Ransom crap."  Yellow-boy's voice was as even and cheerful as ever.  "He said he was gonna press the button.  I fried him."

"Think about it much?"

"Nah, man.  Him or a busload of cheerleaders.  Easy choice."

Despite myself, I snorted out a chuckle.

"Guess it would be."  I said.

"Gonna need one of my nice ones after this."  Said my partner, checking his supply of victory cigars.  "My girls here."

"Where?"

"Roof of the building."

I leaned forward, looked up.  I saw a figure on the roof.  Well-built and female.  No cape.  Further details were obscured by distance and darkness, but she waved at us.  I waved back, and she moved out of sight.

"I think your guy is here too."  Bytor grinned.  There was a big blue van easing up next to us.  Knightsaint was in his armor, of course, helmeted this time.  His high-tech headgear was actually less intimidating than his big, bald, black head.

I pointed toward the building.  Warren eased his van down the street, parked in a spot with a good view of the place's front door.

"Time to party."  said Bytor.  I nodded.

"Let's go."

Offline Grim Reaper

• The 4th Horseman, the Lord of Death
  • Lt.
  • Beyond the apocalypse
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2007, 06:02:49 am »
anticipation building piece. GIMME MORE
Snickers@DND: If there is one straight answer in that bent little head of yours, you'd better start spillin' it pretty damn quick, or I'm gonna take a large, blunt object, roughly the size of Kallae AND his hat and shove it lengthwise up a crevice of your being so seldomly cleaned that even the denizens of the nine hells would not touch it with a 10-feet rusty pole

Offline Scottish Andy

• Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2007, 10:18:59 am »
Ditto. The tension is building! Let's get in the building!

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2007, 10:27:24 pm »
Was wishing for an 'Iceman Supreme' cameo for Bytor's back-up... Oh well!

--thu guv!

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2008, 09:15:04 am »
This is a bump.  This is also me setting a deadline.  If I don't post something else on this story in two weeks from today, I'll let the Guv twist my nipples with a pair of pliers.

And I'll post pictures of him doing it.

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2008, 12:52:12 pm »
oo goood, more adventures of bob coming.... welll then i'll be keeping my eye on ya... two  :D
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2008, 10:23:02 pm »
This is a bump.  This is also me setting a deadline.  If I don't post something else on this story in two weeks from today, I'll let the Guv twist my nipples with a pair of pliers.

And I'll post pictures of him doing it.

*looks at his selection of plyers...*

Which would hurt more....? Ah... the electrician's pliers...with the wire strippers...

I'm ready, cause you ain't for sh*t on deadlines. And tiny 11 kb posts don't count!

--guv!!!
*snip-snip-snip!*

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2008, 12:55:14 am »
Scene finished....threat to nipples eliminated...for now...

----------------------

We got out of the Impala and strode down the sidewalk.  No dramatic music played, much to Bytor's disappointment.  We were trying to be subtle anyway, sticking to the same side of the street as the apartment building, with Bytor's trench coat buttoned over his yellow suit.

There was a sudden, sharp report, unmistakably a gunshot, and the sound of glass raining down on concrete.  A flurry of little bangs followed, flashes from our guy's window, adjoining rooftops. 

I bolted, boots pounding sidewalk.  Bytor wasn't quite keeping up.  He was saying something into his cell phone.

“He made the snipers!”  Bytor hollered.  More gunshots.  Rapid fire from the apartment, heavy, single ones from the cop’s position.  There was motion on the fire escape.  Beavis emerged from a window.  He was covered in a layer of stone.  It didn’t inhibit him much, rock moved as naturally as muscle as he bounded up towards the roof.

We were at the building.  I couldn’t do the building-hopping leap my  old teacher was known for, but I can catch some air.  I jumped, landing on the fire escape, a windowsill, a ledge, as I bounded my way up the side of the building.

“I really hate you right now, Bob!”  Bytor hollered.  He was climbing onto the fire escape as fast as he could.

One last jump took me onto the roof; I landed in a crouch.  Beavis was running, hopping from one apartment building to another.  Bullets knocked chunks of stone from his bizarre armor.  He returned fire, his AK-47 spitting bullets wildly.  He didn’t seem to see me yet and I took off after him.

His gun stopped for a moment.  He didn’t stop running, but he slowed down enough to pull a fresh clip from the duffel thrown over this shoulder, reload.  I hopped to the next, rooftop, the next.  He brought the gun to his shoulder, still aiming across the street.  He didn’t fire.  Bullets weren’t pelting him anymore.  He suddenly realized why, swung the assault rifle my direction.

I grabbed the gun, pushing it to the side and slamming my shoulder hard against Rock-boy.  He gave maybe an inch and the gun tore through it’s magazine, yammering and bucking, bullets tearing little holes in the concrete roof.  I slammed an elbow into Beavis’ face, where the stone was thinner.  I did it again.  And again.  The gun stopped firing.  I ripped it away from him, sent the weapon flying.  Mistake.  It gave him the split-second he needed to punch me.

I felt myself land, blinked away stars.  I was about six feet from Beavis, but he was running straight toward me.  I sprang to my feet, sidestepped, and brought my shoulder up under his arm.  I flipped him;  I’d wanted to hang on, but he was heavy and running full tilt.  We separated.  Concrete splintered when he landed.   He started to get up anyway.

I was on him in a heartbeat, a flurry of punches smacking pressure points, splintering stone.  I wasn’t giving him all I had.  I didn’t know how thick his rocky outer shell was.  Thick enough;  he staggered back, but he fended off one punch, then another, clipped my jaw with another dizzying punch.  I hopped away from him, wondering why the world seemed to be tilting back and forth.  He backed away, screaming at me.  I pursued him for a step or two, then my eyes got a bit wider when he ripped one of those spinning vent things out of an AC duct.

Beavis charged, swinging the giant piece of metal.  I ducked, a whoosh of air as Rock-Boy’s makeshift bludgeon skimmed by.  I dove forward, taking Beavis legs out from under him.  There was a loud ruckus as he lost his grip on his weapon, and a loud grunt from him as he landed on his face.  We were tangled up.  I took the opportunity, grabbed one of his ankles, twisted.  I put most of me on his other leg, to keep him down.

He tried to kick me.  He was ridiculously strong and every attempt bounced me around, but I held on.  He tried to reach back, hit me, but he was on his belly.  I could snap his ankle anytime I wanted; rock wouldn’t help him there.  Fight should’ve been over.

“You’re not getting away.”  I snarled.  “Give it up.”

He replied with a stream of obscenities and I realized we were moving.  He pulled us across the roof, leaving handprints in the concrete roof.  I twisted more.  Didn’t want to break his ankle. 

Beavis found the edge of the roof, the raised half-wall around it.  He started to pull himself up, get back on his feet, and never mind the two-hundred-fifty pound man wrapped around his legs.  He could hit me if he got up.  I twisted his leg, heard a loud snap.  He howled in pain;  I let go and rolled away from him.  He came after me, limping badly.  I was halfway to my feet when he raised both hands above his head, brought ‘em crashing down.  The blow cratered the rooftop, and I felt wind as I scooted out of the way.

I had a shot.  I didn’t want to hurt him, but if I let him keep going, he’d eventually hit me.  I could brush off, shrug off, or just plain avoid a lot.  I knew better than to assume I’d be able too.  His stony shell was tough, though.  I’d have to give him all I could. 

That’d kill most people.  But if I didn’t stop him, he’d die anyway.  Police would find something that’d get to him.  I took a step away from him as he lurched to his feet and slammed a high side kick into his face.

Rock splintered, and Beavis flew, landing on his back with a tremendous crash.

I stood there a moment, expecting him, despite my previous worries, to get right back up.  He didn’t.  I walked over to him, leaned down.  Rock boy had a strong pulse, and he was groaning occasionally.

I nodded, and sat myself down on the ledge.  I didn’t bother to flex cuff him.  Wouldn’t hold him anyway.

My heart was slowing down, breathing returning to normal.  Without the constant motion, I was suddenly aware of the pain.  My jaw ached bad, and when I moved it a little, it seemed heavier than usual.  There were all sorts of lesser pains.

There was a bit of yellow in the corner of my eye.  I looked up, swollen jaw an all.  Bytor had his hands on his hips.

“Just like you to hog all the fun.”  He said.  I chuckled; it hurt.

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2008, 08:39:12 pm »
*puts vice grips back into the tool box...but leaves the box unlatched...*

Damn nice fight, as I said. I like it better than the one in Call In.

--rog