Topic: Lab-grown replacement teeth fill the gap  (Read 4765 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Re: Lab-grown replacement teeth fill the gap
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2007, 09:18:57 pm »
Now how are we going to tell the rednecks from the rest of us?
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline TheJudge

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2007, 06:18:20 pm »
Can't remember the link now...but while I was in the hospital the Discovery channel had a show about medical research/advances and one of them was...printing a HEART through something like a dot-matrix printer.  Freaked me out when they showed how they could currently 'print' bacterial growth cultures and how they had planned to use it for printing organs and stuff...
He who can master the data controls the world.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2007, 07:22:18 pm »
Can't remember the link now...but while I was in the hospital the Discovery channel had a show about medical research/advances and one of them was...printing a HEART through something like a dot-matrix printer.  Freaked me out when they showed how they could currently 'print' bacterial growth cultures and how they had planned to use it for printing organs and stuff...

I saw that, it was being done at Berkly. pretty darn cool using some kind of protien or the like on a gel.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline E_Look

• Grand High Scribe
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2007, 08:36:44 pm »
Printing organs??

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2007, 08:40:53 pm »
Yep, it was an experiment using regular Ink Jet printers.

The ink cartridge was filled with some kind of reproduced cell, and laid on some kind of gel that promoted growth. The printer would lay down a layer of cells, then another , then another, untill a 3D copy of the organ was there. Of course there is still rejection problems and the like.

I'll try to find the story, as It's been way to long for me to remember everything about it.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2007, 07:15:36 am »
Printing organs??

Link to a google search that has related results.

How about printing a house?

Engineer Behrokh Khoshnevis, at the University of Southern California, has been perfecting his "contour crafter" for more than a year. "The goal is to be able to completely construct a one-story, 2000-square foot home on site, in one day and without using human hands," he says.
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2007, 07:36:53 am »
Thanks Nemesis.  I was going to look this morning, I crashed big time,last night due to the wife's never ending Honey Dew list.

Stephen

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2007, 08:24:14 am »
No problem. 

I took today off due to weather (over night freezing rain etc).  All the radio reports said "Stay home" and since we aren't too busy at work today I took their advice. That gives me plenty of time to be helpful :).

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2007, 11:10:25 am »
No problem. 

I took today off due to weather (over night freezing rain etc).  All the radio reports said "Stay home" and since we aren't too busy at work today I took their advice. That gives me plenty of time to be helpful :).

Cool, I'm leaving you in charge today then. :D :D :D

Stephen

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2007, 02:11:36 pm »
Cool, I'm leaving you in charge today then. :D :D :D

Stephen

Sorry but I was reminded that I have the GalCivII Dark Avatars expansion waiting to be played with so I'll be off conquering the galaxy.