Topic: 15% human  (Read 2134 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
15% human
« on: March 26, 2007, 05:36:27 pm »
Link to full article

Scientists have created the world's first human-sheep chimera - which has the body of a sheep and half-human organs.

He has already created a sheep liver which has a large proportion of human cells and eventually hopes to precisely match a sheep to a transplant patient, using their own stem cells to create their own flock of sheep.

The process would involve extracting stem cells from the donor's bone marrow and injecting them into the peritoneum of a sheep's foetus. When the lamb is born, two months later, it would have a liver, heart, lungs and brain that are partly human and available for transplant.

The process would involve extracting stem cells from the donor's bone marrow and injecting them into the peritoneum of a sheep's foetus. When the lamb is born, two months later, it would have a liver, heart, lungs and brain that are partly human and available for transplant.

But the development is likely to revive criticisms about scientists playing God, with the possibility of silent viruses, which are harmless in animals, being introduced into the human race.

Dr Patrick Dixon, an international lecturer on biological trends, warned: "Many silent viruses could create a biological nightmare in humans. Mutant animal viruses are a real threat, as we have seen with HIV."

Rise of the manimals?

How smart are/will be these sheep with partially human brains?

On a similar topic - Mice with human eyes.

Nathans and colleagues genetically altered mice by inserting a human gene that codes for the "L receptor" protein into the animals' DNA. This protein allows cells in the retina of the eye to respond to long wavelengths of light, which correspond to the reddish and orange hues that people perceive.

Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
Re: 15% human
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 05:52:57 pm »
I'm waiting for some psycho to use this in a defense for raping sheep.  'Hey you can't convict me, their part human'   ::)   ;D

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 09:41:35 pm »
I'm waiting for some psycho to use this in a defense for raping sheep.  'Hey you can't convict me, their part human'   ::)   ;D

Not that part.

What happens if they use the same genetic process on a bonobo? 
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 07:19:23 am »

Not that part.

What happens if they use the same genetic process on a bonobo? 

What about an elected official?  OMG, what would the world be if we had elected officials that were human, with some intelligence.  :-D
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Darth Sidious

• Lt.
  • One Winged Angel
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 08:14:55 am »
I for one welcome our new Part-Human, Part-Sheep Virus Transmission Vector Overlords ::)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 10:13:58 am »
Much ado about Mutton.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 06:55:58 pm »
What about an elected official?  OMG, what would the world be if we had elected officials that were human, with some intelligence.  :-D

We are talking science not magic so stay in the realm of the possible here.

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 10:44:50 pm »

So true.  :-D  +1
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 10:38:29 pm »

You Bleet me to it Nemesis.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 11:09:14 pm »
You are a baaad boy Stephen.