Topic: Some Movies I've Watched....  (Read 44305 times)

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
Re: Some Movies I've Watched....
« Reply #180 on: May 09, 2008, 04:18:14 pm »
Iron Man

At this point the plot thickens.  His business partner Obadiah Stane gets a hold of his original Iron Man prototype and starts working on his own version, one that reminds me of Iron man's comic book nemesis the Titanium Man.

I won't divulge much further and spoil the fun.  Good flick.  If you have a few coins left after gas go see it while it's still on the big screen.

actually its iron monger (spoiler warning on links
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Monger
also, I don't like Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury.  Noone could play the role better than David Hasselhoff :laugh:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Fury#In_other_media

Offline _Rondo_GE The OutLaw

• Commodore
« Reply #181 on: May 09, 2008, 06:32:54 pm »
Thanks.

Hmm, Iron Man 200 is when the "Iron Monger" first appeared. After my time I'm afraid to say...(ack I'm old!) Stane appeared in the mid 150's and I was aware of him.  "Demon in a Bottle", perhaps the most famous or noted Iron Man issue (sells for quite a bit these days) was in the 120's.  My memory is a bit fuzzy.

Of course The Mandarin was Iron man's true nemisis...a rather dated  figure he would be today unless you have him based out of K-Mart importing lead baby products.  :)

My understanding is that there will be 2 more Iron Man's...next one in 2010.  Also Downey plays Stark in  cameo in the Hulk movie coming out.  Based on interviews I've read from the director Downey was truly motivated to play this role.  Since others took on the role of Iron Man (Jim Rhodes) we may see two.  Also I think they are going to explore Tony Starks alchoholism in the sequel.

Based on it's success so far I'd say Iron Man II is a shoo-in for production.

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #182 on: May 09, 2008, 06:38:11 pm »
Elements of Mandarin were already in part 1.  I don't know if you caught it, but the name of the terrorist group was something like brotherhood of the ten rings.  I'm fairly sure that the villain in the next one will be the Mandarin, but he will probably be heavily altered to make him seem less dated.

Offline AcePylut

• Captain
  • Bear Down, Chicago Bears
« Reply #183 on: May 09, 2008, 09:53:59 pm »
Hehe Rondo, you watch movies at the same frequency as I do.  I just went to Iron Man with my wife.  I must say your review was spot on.  I really liked the movie, it was fun.  I don't read comics and I knew nothing about the Tony Stark character.  I thought they did a pretty good job of char development, and I was able to get his background pretty easily.
If you care about the environment, it's better to eat a Salad in a Hummer than a Cheeseburger in a Prius.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #184 on: May 09, 2008, 10:39:20 pm »
Hehe Rondo, you watch movies at the same frequency as I do.  I just went to Iron Man with my wife.  I must say your review was spot on.  I really liked the movie, it was fun.  I don't read comics and I knew nothing about the Tony Stark character.  I thought they did a pretty good job of char development, and I was able to get his background pretty easily.

I did read Iron Man (ages ago).  They did a great job on character update, it was logical and well done.  I think character development was done very well also, it was alittle slow (compared to most modern gun toting blasting movies, but I enjoyed it more then those other ones).  It gave them some time to work on how he built up the suit instead of just, wham here is the new suit lets blast the bad guy.

Only bad part was I think the ending could have been alittle longer.  The fight seemed to have been rushed in timing, but it was still good.  And heck, I did pick out the Iron Monger armor.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #185 on: May 11, 2008, 03:40:58 pm »
Has anyone seen the documentary "Zoo."  I'm thinking about getting a used copy off Amazon.  I have a fascination with these odd stories.  I waited for months for "Super-Size Me" to premier, and I couldn't stop talking about "Grizzly Man" after I saw it.

Offline AcePylut

• Captain
« Reply #186 on: May 12, 2008, 09:17:55 pm »
Ohhhhhhhhhh  my next foreign film purchase... about one of my childhood idols!

http://www.redbaron-themovie.com/index_en.html

The chick plays Sara Conner in the tv series, and played King Leonidas's wife in 300.  Ohh lalala.

In the trailer they showed the Red Baron holding a picture of himself... and believe it or not, I have that same picture in an 8.5x11 frame that was on my bedroom wall at my parents house.  I still have that picture!
If you care about the environment, it's better to eat a Salad in a Hummer than a Cheeseburger in a Prius.

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #187 on: May 27, 2008, 08:15:27 pm »
I just saw the new Indiana Jones film.  To tell you the truth, it was a real disappointment.  It pales in comparison to its predecessors.  I don't want to give away too much about the plot, but the film had a bad opening, and the main plot involved things that really don't belong in an Indy film.  Although, I have to admit, that Cate Blanchett was an excellent villain.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 10:28:52 pm by knightstorm »

Offline AcePylut

• Captain
« Reply #188 on: May 29, 2008, 04:53:20 pm »
Yeah, I heard.  Aliens, nuclear explosions???  What a rip-off.  Indy's always been about the occult and booby traps, not aliens and nuclear explosions.

Oh well, Lucas was probably looking at the "not quite what he thought" returns from the Star Wars prequels, saw that it wasn't enough, and knew he could put out some crap movie with "Indiana Jones" on it and cover whatever he thought he was supposed to make.  Or something.

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #189 on: May 30, 2008, 07:42:17 pm »
Yeah, I heard.  Aliens, nuclear explosions???  What a rip-off.  Indy's always been about the occult and booby traps, not aliens and nuclear explosions.

Oh well, Lucas was probably looking at the "not quite what he thought" returns from the Star Wars prequels, saw that it wasn't enough, and knew he could put out some crap movie with "Indiana Jones" on it and cover whatever he thought he was supposed to make.  Or something.

It gets even worse wait until you see how he escaped the nuclear blast.

Offline AcePylut

• Captain
« Reply #190 on: May 31, 2008, 07:19:31 pm »
Did he Duck and Cover?  ;D

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #191 on: May 31, 2008, 09:34:08 pm »
Did he Duck and Cover?  ;D

Almost as bad.

Here is the scene for anyone interested in spoilers
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 09:52:41 pm by knightstorm »

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #192 on: June 19, 2008, 04:43:33 pm »
I saw the new Hulk film.  It was very well done.  The storyline and special effects were top notch.  Also, as an added treat for anyone who liked the television series, in addition to the requisite cameo, Lou Ferrigno also provided the voice for the Hulk.

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #193 on: July 18, 2008, 05:41:10 pm »
Batman 2 was amazing, the Joker made the movie... shame about Heath Ledger though.

Offline Dash Jones

• Sub-Commander of the Dark Side
  • Captain
« Reply #194 on: July 19, 2008, 08:16:08 am »
I was bored stiff through much of the second Batman movie.  It kept...going...and going...and going...

Like the Energizer Bunny.  Would have been better if it were about 30 minutes shorter.

Depressing end as well.  Depressing movie.  I suppose that's why it's called the Dark Knight, but I sure hope the next one has rays of light.

Batman Begins was a LOT better...IMO.
"All hominins are hominids, but not all hominids are hominins."

"Is this a Christian perspective?

Now where in the Bible does it say if someone does something stupid you should shoot them in the face?"

-------

We have whale farms in Jersey.   They're called McDonald's.

There is no "I" in team. There are two "I"s in Vin Diesel. screw you, team.

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #195 on: July 22, 2008, 07:29:51 pm »
Batman Begins was a masterpiece, and is a hard act to follow.  This one was a great effort.  The joker was really well done.  As for the length of the film, that tends to happen alot these days.  Because of the internet, directors don't use test audiences anymore.  As a result, they cut less footage, and the movie becomes longer.  While the ending was grim, I still liked it except for one element which I will not disclose because it's a spoiler.

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #196 on: July 23, 2008, 12:15:30 am »
Saw Wall e with the kids last night and we all thought it was boring.  If you want to watch it I'd suggest waiting for video.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
« Reply #197 on: July 24, 2008, 02:02:52 am »
Saw Wall e with the kids last night and we all thought it was boring.  If you want to watch it I'd suggest waiting for video.

Huh, my daughter loved the show (she is 13), but my neice was bored (she is 3) pacing is not set for little kids.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #198 on: July 24, 2008, 06:10:18 am »
in iron man what i like was his 3D table, the way the move his armor and remove parts he did not like, whould be fun to use it do make a .mod of the enterprise with that software and hardware he use :)

for another movie, wall e, the film was a bit boring, not text, and not much of a story like cars was.

like what happen to the other wall e unit and where are the animals on the planet?