Topic: USS Banting Model  (Read 9711 times)

Offline Bernard Guignard

• Cad Schematics are our Speciality
  • Lt.
  • Trek Canon!!! I NO believe in TreK Canon!!!.
USS Banting Model
« on: April 14, 2007, 05:35:16 pm »
Hello All here are a few pictures of the USS Banting The Physical Model
Built by my First officer at the time Neil Arnold.

I hope that you enjoy them

Offline Storvick_XC

• IFT Fleet Captain
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Lt. Junior Grade
Re: USS Banting Model
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 12:47:55 am »
Nice model but is there enough room to launch a torpedo from the upper launchers without takeing out the bridge? Also my USS Atlantis model is the flagship for the Orlando Chapter of the IFT.

Offline Bernard Guignard

• Lt.
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 06:18:16 am »
 ;D Been asked that Question at Toronto Trek a few times there is enough room to clear the bridge barely. Thats one thing that I would remedy on a new model by adding in a spacer or two to raise the pod up a couple of Meters.  ;D
Thanks for the comment  ;D

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 06:28:06 am »
;D Been asked that Question at Toronto Trek a few times there is enough room to clear the bridge barely. Thats one thing that I would remedy on a new model by adding in a spacer or two to raise the pod up a couple of Meters.  ;D
Thanks for the comment  ;D

Who says you can't?  :-D
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Geks

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 07:24:12 am »
Very nice that, are you going to add lighting?

Offline Adonis

• Dark Slayer
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Da Death Squad ™®©
    • Star Trek Excalibur
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 05:51:51 pm »
Sorry mate, but I don't grow nice feelings for the design at all.
Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by themselves.

Offline Bernard Guignard

• Lt.
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 07:25:41 pm »
Thanks for the comments every one
    Gekk there is some lighting in it all ready but the battery pack in the stand is in need of some repair.  :-\ 
    Adonis your opinion is your opinion and if the design doesn't  work for you well I not much I can do about it. I understand
that not every design will be everyones cup of tea. Hell there are some designs out there that I have to shake my head at
and I think I'm pretty easy going.  ;D

I do note that even when the model made the trips to Toronto trek it got 2 responses
either you liked it or you hated it.  The design generated some discussion around the Fan Table which lead to people taking home fiyers and perhaps wanting to join the Group.
 We wanted our group to have a design that set us apart from other chapters that were for the most part using conventional designs, but still have a design that any one of our members or the general public at large could kit bash fairly easily if they so wished.  And you can tell from my avatar that I prefer the TMP era even though the ships timeline is set in  late TNG   ;D

Offline Adonis

• Dark Slayer
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Da Death Squad ™®©
    • Star Trek Excalibur
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 08:14:55 pm »
    Adonis your opinion is your opinion and if the design doesn't  work for you well I not much I can do about it. I understand
that not every design will be everyones cup of tea. Hell there are some designs out there that I have to shake my head at
and I think I'm pretty easy going.  ;D

It's just that from an engineering standpoint, it's completely wrong... just find me a StarFleet engineer who'll downsize the Excel nacelles by 50% for a ship design of a different/older hull type...you'll just get a slap in the face from them instead...

Offline CC22

• Has been known to kitbash in the name of 'canon'...
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 08:58:41 am »
The model work is fine, but to be honest Im not a fan of the design. It doesn't really seem feasable to have the power relays and all that is needed to be routed to the edge of the saucer and then into the 'roll bar', and also would it be structurally strong enough? And sorry lol but don't get me started on the excelsior necelles! Personally if you really needed the Avenger torpedo launcher, I would have scratch built some appropriate necelles, and mounted the roll bar on top of them so theres a continuous lead in from the necelle struts to the rolld bar - infact I may do a quick bash myself! (but then its certainly no worse than those horrid frankenstien jobs on DS9  :huh: lol).

I mean no offence to you, as I say its some fine modeling work!
"For I dipt into the future, far as human eye could see, Saw the Vision of the World, and all the wonder that would be..."

Offline Scottish Andy

• First Officer of the Good Ship Kusanagi
  • Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 02:00:44 pm »
I can't see any pics on this, unfortunately, but it sounds like it's a cruiser type.

Since Sir Frederick Banting was a medical scientist, shouldn't the Banting be a science vessel like it was in the game 'Starfleet Academy'?

For a Canadian-themed cruiser/explorer, you might want to try the USS Alexander Mackenzie (1764–1820; explorer & employee Hudson's Bay Company) :D
Come visit me at:  www.Starbase23.net

The Senior Service rocks! Rule, Britannia!

The Doctor: "Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink."
Mickey: "Wot's that?"
The Doctor: "No idea. Just made it up. Didn't want to say 'Magic Door'."
- Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

Offline Bernard Guignard

• Lt.
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 05:58:06 pm »
Thank you all for your comments good and bad.

Adonis from an engineering stand point in My universe and Starfleet the international Startrek Fan Association Inc's universe its not what the outside looks like its what is inside under the hood so to speak.  Those are not scaled down Excelisor warp engines they just look that way.   ;D

While we were building the Banting Neil had the Idea of putting the LN64 warp engines on the excelsior This drawing is a rough
approximation of what we got

C22 thanks for the comments its appreciated

Scottish Andy
   Sorry you can't see the pictures they are on PhotoBucket. Yes Sir Fredrick Banting was a medical Scientist but he also did alot of
weapons research for the Army Navy and Airforce. If my memory serves me right he developed a prototype G suit for the airforce for use with Spitfire pilots. Well the name and design has been registered With Starfleet the international Startrek Fan association Inc since 1999. The Fictional starship Banting has a science mode where you swap out photon pod for a sensor pod.  

There is only one Canon engineering rule in star trek  shuttle engines must match the hero ship warp engines  have you not noticed?  ;D

Offline Adonis

• Dark Slayer
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Da Death Squad ™®©
    • Star Trek Excalibur
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 06:12:00 pm »
Thank you all for your comments good and bad.

Adonis from an engineering stand point in My universe and Starfleet the international Startrek Fan Association Inc's universe its not what the outside looks like its what is inside under the hood so to speak.  Those are not scaled down Excelisor warp engines they just look that way.   ;D

While we were building the Banting Neil had the Idea of putting the LN64 warp engines on the excelsior This drawing is a rough
approximation of what we got

Dude, you have ANY idea of the size between the Excel and Connie, both of these are just soooo wrong, both from the inside and outside. It's an equvivalent of trying to resize a Hawker Hawk Mk.I's turbojet to the size that would be good for a F-111. I know I wouldn't do such a nervebraking job. I'd rather just pick an engine that's big and powerful enough for it.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2007, 01:08:41 am »
I'm so in love with that Banting... I use it as my Fed BCH in SFC2OP. I have the BCG/F/J variant textures for it. Thanks for doing that mod.

Hey, how much do you want for that model? I'll send a payment over paypal for it.

Offline Bernard Guignard

• Lt.
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2007, 05:25:43 pm »
Thanks for the comment Dizzy but the Banting is Jointly owned by the Members of the chapter. I'm just the keeper at the moment.
Glad to know that your are enjoying the Mod.  ;D