Topic: Windows protection error - help  (Read 1178 times)

Offline Kid Carrson

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Junior Grade
Windows protection error - help
« on: May 08, 2007, 03:27:47 pm »
I'm setting up a new computer, installing programs, and everything is fine, until.....

I try to install SFC OP.  It seems to install fine, but when I try to run it, it crashes and then I get this Windows Protection Error, and can't get the computer restarted. 

I'm guessing it's a bad video card, which runs OK when there are no visually demanding programs but can't run SFC OP.  Is that a fair guess?  Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks.

KC

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Windows protection error - help
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 03:38:18 pm »
Does your Device manager show anything?

Right click on My Computer, choose properties, device manager. Since It's a new install, the drivers might be out of date.

Might do a google search for Belarc advisor and post the results here of the system. It will go a long ways in figuring out your problems.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Kid Carrson

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 03:54:41 pm »
Thanks.  I'll run Belarc.

What's so wierd is that except for the SFC OP, I've had no problems at all.   But, this is the only game - the rest is work related simple programs.

KC

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 04:02:28 pm »
That is odd KC. Yeah let us know what Belarc shows.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Kid Carrson

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 06:29:08 pm »
Stephen:

Thanks for the thoughts.  I checked Belarc, and it looked just like my other work computers. 

So ... I decided to swap out video cards, and bingo, that was it!  Very odd that the card worked for basic work programs: excel, word, wordperfect, but not for the SFC OP game.  The first card was new, but must have had a problem.  Go figure!

I appreciate the help.

KC

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 06:38:16 pm »
Hey No Problem, always happy to help. That's what we are here for after all.

Just glad you got it figured out.

Have a great evening.

Stephen