Topic: Need computer advice  (Read 2315 times)

Offline Alidar Jarok

• Commander
  • He Took My Sammich
Need computer advice
« on: June 04, 2007, 10:43:42 am »
Although I give some people in real life the opposite impression, I really don't know as much about computers as I should.

I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this computer, as far as whether or not its worthwhile.  And, yes, I realize its cheaper to build computers myself, but I don't know if I feel like doing that right now.

Basically, I'll typically use my computer to browse the internet and play some computer games (but not usually the most demanding games, the latest game I have only asks for 128 MB Graphics card, for example, which, unfortunately, is too much for the laptop I have now).

Here's the specs:

Gateway® NX570X
Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Mobile Processor T2060 (1.60GHz, 533MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache)
Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium (32-bit)
1024MB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2-512MB modules)
80GB 5400rpm Serial ATA hard drive
15.4" WXGA TFT Active Matrix (1280 x 800 max resolution)
24x/10x/24x CD-RW / 8x DVD Combo Drive
Integrated Intel® 3945 802.11a/b/g wireless networking

$600 after rebate

So, what do you think?
From Me to You - The Beatles

If there's anything that you want,
If there's anything i can do,
Just call on me and i'll send it along
With love from me to you.

Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• There is life outside of Windows..
  • Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
  • Starbase Atlantis [X-refit]
    • 9th Fleet
Re: Need computer advice
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 10:50:22 am »
Well personally Id go higher then 80GB SATA HDD if you can afford it.. the more space you have the better..I also dunno about Win Vista.. from what I hear it really isnt going to be good till after the Service Pack for it comes out, and even at that some have doubts about it..
Starfleet Headquarters out.

Fleet Commodore, XenoCorp, ISC Fleet.

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 11:10:46 am »
I agree, get a larger capacity hard drive.  Unfortunately, you can't avoid getting a system with Vista, unless you get a Dell.

Depending on the specs you want, sometimes it's cheaper to build a computer, but half of the time, it's more expensive.  But you get the satisfaction that everything that's in your system is what you want, and know what your specs can handle. 

The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Alidar Jarok

• Commander
  • He Took My Sammich
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 11:18:21 am »
Do you have any idea when the Service Pack might come out?  My goal is to have a new laptop by the time my fall semester starts (so I have until mid-September).  But, aside from that, I'm not too pressed for time.  This looked like a good deal when I saw it, so I thought I'd think about it.  I'm not sold on getting Vista, but I'm also not planning on getting a new computer for at least several years and I'd hate the thought of having an operating system that anything new won't run on in the near future.

Memory space is a good idea, but I am on a somewhat limited budget (in theory, I have a lot more to spend, but, since there's other things I need to get, I don't think my parents will look kindly if I spend too much on a computer just now).  Considering that it has almost twice the space I have on my current laptop, its refreshing to see, but, since I do have a large music collection (that I intend to increase over time), I'll need the larger space.

One thing I couldn't figure out is what is the graphics card for this computer?  I know I'm not great with computers, but usually I can figure it out.  I just don't want to get screwed on a computer like my parents did when they bought me my current computer (which, knowing what I know now, was probably almost obsolete when they got it).

Here's the link if there's something I haven't posted.  I'm still looking around to see if there's anything better.  Gateway is what I have now, which is why I looked there first, but, if there's a better computer, I'll definitely consider it.

Offline Alidar Jarok

• Commander
  • He Took My Sammich
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 01:26:03 pm »
Just as an addition, I've found some other laptops that might be more worthwhile.  Is there any computer company you'd recommend I not buy from?

EDIT: I'm wondering if I need 2 GB of RAM to run Vista (along with other programs).  I really don't know much about it.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 01:29:39 pm »
I swear by the Empower series that PC Club puts out. Not sure on prices, Haven't had to buy a full pc in a long time, but they have gotten good reviews. I know alot of schools in the OKC area use them alot.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 03:04:03 pm »
Just as an addition, I've found some other laptops that might be more worthwhile.  Is there any computer company you'd recommend I not buy from?

EDIT: I'm wondering if I need 2 GB of RAM to run Vista (along with other programs).  I really don't know much about it.

Most of the newer systems seem to run ok with 512 megs installed, but that depends on which version of Vista you're getting.  When I beta tested the Ultimate Edition, I only had 1 gig of PC6400 DDR2 800 MHz ram.  Still do actually.  I was able to run Vista ok, but when it came to playing any vids or DVDs on Vista, the system didn't have enough memory to do it, even though I had nothing installed.

Vista is very resource hungry, so the more ram, the better.  Sometimes you can get good bargains on brand new, lower level laptops on EBAY or even Amazon.com.

Along with Stephen's recommendation, I also like HP and Toshiba notebooks.  Sony notebooks I hear are also quite good.  If ever you get the urge to build your own notebook, there are several companies out there that have Do It Yourself kits available to the public now, with instructions on how to install the parts.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline FCM_SFHQ_XC

• There is life outside of Windows..
  • Administrator
  • Lt. Commander
  • Starbase Atlantis [X-refit]
    • 9th Fleet
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 03:30:05 pm »

EDIT: I'm wondering if I need 2 GB of RAM to run Vista (along with other programs). I really don't know much about it.
as said by Centurus, the more the better. Personally I'd max out the RAM supported by the motherboard as RAM isnt too expensive anymore these days
Starfleet Headquarters out.

Fleet Commodore, XenoCorp, ISC Fleet.

Offline Alidar Jarok

• Commander
  • He Took My Sammich
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 03:48:53 pm »
Sony's prices seemed to be far too high (Ideally, I don't want to spend more than $1000 and I didn't see anything they had that was much cheaper than that).

Are Dell computers any good?  My brother hates them, but I haven't found any reason why he does.

I found an HP laptop and a Dell that have similar specs for similar prices.  Both have Vista.

HP dv6000t ($914)
Processor - Intel(R) Pentium(R) dual core T2080(1.73GHz/1MB)
Memory - 2GB (2 Dimm)
Graphics Card - 256MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 7400
Hard Drive - 120GB 5400RPM

Dell E1505 Dual Core ($906)
Processor -  Intel® Pentium® dual-core T2080(1MB Cache/1.73GHz/533MHz FSB
Memory - 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHZ, 2 DIMM
Graphics Card -  256MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1400 HyperMemory™
Hard Drive - 120GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 08:45:23 pm »
if its possible get win xp instead of vista

keep the 80 gig hd to put your windows on it and another big one for your games and other stuff you want, if windows crash you don't loose your games data (like sfc's)

and 2 gig of ram is always good to run windows.

the cpu might be big if you use vista, if you use xp you wont need a powerfull cpu, unless you got games that need it.

Offline Alidar Jarok

• Commander
  • He Took My Sammich
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2007, 07:17:35 pm »
Sorry to bump this after a month, but I've been putting off getting the computer and I think I found what I want to get.  Its an HP, since I'm getting a 10% discount.  I'm also getting Vista (since I think it'll be better in the long run) and I'll just deal with the consequences in the short term.  Let me know what you think of the price and whether there's anything I'm missing that I really should include.

The extra Hard Drive space and upgraded DVD Drive were free (I think I would get 120 GB HD space anyway, but the other just seemed like a nice extra bonus).

Operating System: Windows Vista Home Basic (32-bit)
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) dual core processor T2080 (1.73 GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB)
Display: 15.4" WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1280 x 800)
Memory: 2GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
Graphics Card: 256MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 7400
Networking: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
Hard Drive: 120GB 5400RPM
Primary CD/DVD Drive: SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
Primary Battery: High Capacity 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
Productivity Software: Microsoft(R) Works 8.0

The total price before the discount is $858.  Does that sound reasonable?