Topic: Yet another Windows browser, but this time from Apple  (Read 2216 times)

Offline Death_Merchant

• Commander
Yet another Windows browser, but this time from Apple
« on: June 11, 2007, 02:02:54 pm »
http://www.apple.com/safari/

Not sure why Apple is doing this....

and don't expect any activex happiness ......
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

Offline jualdeaux

• The Quiet One
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
Re: Yet another Windows browser, but this time from Apple
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 03:51:22 pm »
I'll give it a try but I'm rather sure that I'll be staying with firefox.
Only in America .....do we use the word 'politics' to describe the process so well: 'Poli' in Latin meaning 'many' and 'tics' meaning 'bloodsucking creatures'.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 08:34:46 pm »
Not sure why Apple is doing this....

Support.  To get major sites such as banks to support Safari they need more users than Apple itself currently has.  Get 5% of the Windows market and they are over the hump to being major enough that they will gain increasing support.  Hopefully the name recognition will get Safari taking market share from IE rather than Firefox.  I'd like to see each around 30%.

Safari users a variant on the same rendering engine as the Konquerer browser in the KDE windowing environment on Linux.  I wonder if Apple will make a Safari that can plug in in place of Konquerer?  Sites that support Safari are almost certain to work in Konquerer as well.  Which swells the effective market share of the duo to the total share for each.

and don't expect any activex happiness ......

For which I will be thankfull if I decide to try Safari and I may well do so.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline jualdeaux

• The Quiet One
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 08:38:35 pm »
I have been using it today and it seems to be okay. it has some trouble loading pages and letting my log in to various forums. The speed isn't bad but I can't really tell much difference from firefox in that area. And I prefer the way firefox does certain tasks and layout options.
Only in America .....do we use the word 'politics' to describe the process so well: 'Poli' in Latin meaning 'many' and 'tics' meaning 'bloodsucking creatures'.

Offline Clark Kent

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 08:16:21 pm »
Any other updates on how safari 3 is working?  I've been thinking of DLing for my Dell and also for my iBook, but I was curious first to hear how it's working.
CK

But tell me, can you heal what father's done?
Or fix this hole in a mother's son?
Can you heal the broken worlds within?
Can you strip away so we may start again?
Tell me, can you heal what father's done?
Or cut this rope and let us run?
Just when all seems fine, and I'm pain free, you jab another pin,
Jab another pin in me
-Metallica

Offline Death_Merchant

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 10:14:33 am »
Any other updates on how safari 3 is working?  I've been thinking of DLing for my Dell and also for my iBook, but I was curious first to hear how it's working.
I think the beta has seen 2-3 revs already on the windows side. Addressed security concerns and Windows behavior (like now being able to resize the window from any corner, unlike Mac behavior that allows resize only from the lower right corner).

See www.versiontracker.com/windows for posted comments/reviews
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

Offline jualdeaux

• The Quiet One
  • Global Moderator
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 04:52:35 pm »
Yeah. I have gotten the update notice from apple at least two times.

Offline Death_Merchant

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 11:04:50 am »
If interested, Dave Hyatt (one of the Safari developers) keeps a rather informative blog at

http://webkit.org/blog/