Topic: Twisted Destiny: The Mohab Epic 1st half part two  (Read 4392 times)

Offline Czar Mohab

• Faith manages.
  • Lt.
  • Chewie - Go jiggle the handle!
Twisted Destiny: The Mohab Epic 1st half part two
« on: June 15, 2007, 08:41:25 am »
   Jacob sat silently, alone in his ready-room, watching the old footage again and again. Over the years since Unity, several unconfirmed reports came in from uncharted regions of Federation, Kzinti and Gorn space, detailing movements of "ghost" ships. Jacob had run the computer to cross check all of the files associated with the "ghosts" for something more terrifying; Andromedans. It was a surprising result, that more than half of the sightings either were, might be, or could have been Andro's, while the rest were marked up as unsupported superstitions.
   As the Federation gradually expanded its borders away from the known and deeper into the unknown, more and more reports came in concerning these ghost ships, and as time went on more of these reports became linked to the Andromedans. Jacob readjusted the computer's search criteria and had it search for all Andromedan sightings since Unity based on concentration, and had their locations dotted upon a star chart. It was a simple enough scan, and in a few moments the computer gave forth the requested information.
   Jacob had known, deep in his heart, that the last message that his father had left him and Marcus, contained not only the same coordinates as the center of the highest concentration of Andromedan sightings, but that they were right. These had been called by Jacob the Destiny Coordinates, and silently Jacob recited in his head the words on the data chip that his father, Czar Mohab, had given to his mother before the parted for the last time. "Be not afraid, my sons. Your path is protected and watched over by those who have gone before us. No harm shall befall you, lest you walk away from the destiny the stars have given you.
   "When the time is right, both of you will travel to the coordinates I have left you. Operation Unity is young yet, but will not be complete until you succeed this one last mission. No one knows of this location but myself, and now you, and must remain as such.
   "When
Hyperion is attacked by the invaders, not once, nor twice, but thrice, the time will be right."
   Jacob replayed the data tape one more time, and watched closely as the first Andromedan attack on Hyperion was destroyed by the station's local defenders, and watched as the second attack just before Unity was declared a success, was likewise thwarted. "Computer, run a comparison between these two recordings, note any similarities between all Andromedan ships present, excluding class type but including if the same vessel appeared more than once," Jacob pursed his lips and steepled his fingers to them. Elbows on the desk, he pondered what could possibly be going on in the computer's massive brain when the results displayed on his screen. Two Andromedan ships appeared, a Dominator and an Eel, one atop the other, splitting the screen. The screen split again, into left and right, and images of the same ships appeared as a clone next to its original.
   "These two vessels," the computer spoke up in its eerily cheerful feminine voice, "Are an identical match."
   "Cross-reference the data from these two ships to the known power signals of the ships that attacked Hyperion most recently."
   The screen blanked for a moment and was replaced by a three-way split screen showing the Dominator from the first two and the Dominator that was almost destroyed at Hyperion. "This vessel shows identical readings and power signatures from its warp drive from all three sensor recordings."
   "Very well, computer. Wait... Computer, when the destroyer Hyperion was attacked by Andromedans during the Hyperion Incident, wasn't one of them a Dominator?"
   "Affirmative."
   "How does this Dominator fit in with our other three battles in that sector?"
   "Working... Stand by... Exact match based on historical records. Ninety-nine point one percent accuracy assured."
   "Thats good enough for me, thank you, computer."

"Receiving an incoming message," Shane said, rather dismally. "Its your brother, sir, he requests you be informed of a possible Andromedan Dominator heading to our location and that you proceed to what he calls the 'Destiny Coordinates'."
   "Rather odd, wouldn't you say?" Mindy asked.
   "Not quite," Marcus replied, "How long has that message been in transit?"
   The ship rocked gently as the Dominator fired again. "Two weeks and a couple of hours."
   "Shield one is at seventy-eight percent," Mindy interrupted.
   "Very well. Target engines and the displacer. Signal the Romulan cruisers Fury and Rage, have them finish disabling this wreck, capture it and scour it for usable things. Then signal that Klingon general... whats-his-name.. let him know he's in charge until we return."
   Marcus walked from behind the tactical station to the helm. It was a surprisingly long time before Shane replied. "One of these days I'm going to teach you how to work this thing yourself."
   "As I recall," Eric said before anyone else could respond, "the commodore taught you how to work it." Marcus leaned in over the helm control panel and began to enter a string of numbers.
   "Stuff it, Eric. Sir, messages sent and the Romulans will arrive in two minutes. Klingon General Kath'ort wishes you success, and has already deployed his personal scout to our last position to resume hunting."
   General Lee shook again, this time as four photon torpedoes left their tubes and sought out their target. Three hit, forcing the Dominator to slow. "Tubes five and six are overloads, holding in reserve," Mindy started her tactical report. "Tubes one, three and four scored a direct hit and damaged the target's port warp engine and appears to have taken the displacer off-line."
   "Helm," Marcus interjected, "engineering and tactical, as soon as the Romulans arrive I want every spare erg put into the warp drive, and I want to be at those coordinates before my brother does. He's got a two week head start, and I know that he'll most likely give us a chance to catch up, so he'll be doing about warp six. We've got at least a month before we even leave the Trail. You three do the math and secure whatever systems you need to to get us there."
   "Sir, we cab only do warp seven point three..." Mindy commented.
   "I know what we can do, but this beast can do more. Don't settle until you pass warp nine point three. I'll be in my quarters."
   Marcus smiled as he headed towards the turbo lift to leave his bridge. Suddenly a thought crossed his mind concerning the warp problem. They had, unsuccessfully, tried to use the saucer section's auxiliary warp engines to propel the General Lee, both with and without the main warp drives online. It was a sad experiment, as everything on paper said that it could be done, although rather slowly. The failure came from the smaller warp system's much smaller warp field. It did not cover the last forty meters or so of the vessel, which essentially left that section in a non-warp state. Marcus and Eric spent days augmenting the warp field to try to get it to extend far enough to cover the ship's rear end, to no avail, there simply wasn't enough power.
   Things were looking up however, as Marcus recalled the ship's cargo pod, slung between the main warp engines. Surely, they could drop it anywhere and achieve a higher warp speed, even make warp nine. but it was what was in the pod that had him going. The General Lee's original warp drive system, from the main warp core and its matter/anti-matter system, all the way to the nacelles and support pylons, was designed for one thing: speed. This was supposed to be accomplished by the addition of two more warp nacelles, under and upside down of the current mains. Everything was there, supports, explosive jettison bolts, warp plasma conduits, everything except the extra engines. Even when this warp drive system was apart of the high warp test ship, the Federation never installed the extra warp engines. "Doesn't look good on paper," the had said. A year later they had fielded the Constellation class, with its four warp engines so close together that it only made sense that the warp test ship was just under budgeted.
   The Federation, with all of its wisdom and knowledge, never saw fit to outfit its larger battle cruisers and dreadnoughts with the advanced technology that came around almost fifty years ago. At the time, it was much to expensive to convert or even build the ships with it installed. Only a few of the vessels from each race involved in Unity were of the "X-Ship" variety, relative to all the non-"X" ships that were present. After Unity, the Federation had begun fielding advanced battle cruisers and eventually advanced dreadnoughts. The technology behind it was simply to much to leave them as standard issue. Battle cruisers were both retrofitted and started from the keel up, and all fell into the general category of Excelsior class vessels, although many were older Kirov, New Jersey, and Bismark class vessels. There were a few older Federation class dreadnoughts converted, however, most were the new, keel up design, Ulysses class.
   All of the major post-Unity governments had sent ships along the Trail, to search for anything of importance, lost ships, more Andromedans and the like; but after only a year or two the governments recalled all of these ships in the interest of the new Great Peace. One of the clauses in that treaty was that none of the races should enter the Unity Trail, since many needless battles had been fought over who had rights to the salvage. One of the ships that had been lost, and latter recovered by Mohab Salvage, was an advanced battle cruiser, whose warp nacelles were repaired and kept in the cargo pod slung upon the General Lee, as spares.
   Marcus turned to his bridge crew, and before he could speak, was cut off by his chief engineer. "The spares in the pod!" Eric exclaimed. "If we mounted those to the nacelle support struts..."
   Mindy cut him off, "We could probably make warp nine point eight..."
   "But we'd have to loose the pod," Shane butted in.
   Marcus opened and closed his mouth and raised his right hand a little, temporarily speechless.
   "Adjusting course to Mobile Base Epsilon," the helmsman cut in.
   "Shane," Marcus finally got to get a word in edgewise, "I'm making you personally responsible for the contents of the cargo pod. I don't want any of the others to have our treasures."
   "Sir," Eric interrupted. "I know that our warp drive and related systems can handle our extra warp engines, but our fuel consumption will increase, and despite losing the pod, our weight won't change that much overall, we might be faster in combat due to the added power, but we'll still be turning and acceleration at the same rate."
   "Duly noted, Eric," Marcus replied and attempted to turn once more for the turbo lift.
   "There's more, sir. High warp speeds with the new engines will require more power to the structural integrity field and inertial dampning. And, our rear phasers may lose their port and starboard arcs."
   "Understood," Marcus replied. He was getting impatient, and all he wanted was a few hours to himself before arriving at the base. It was only a two day trek, but the way things were going on the bridge, he feared Eric would have his ear for most of it.
   "Also, we'll need to readjust all the warp fields from each engine, and perform trials with one engine at a time for stability. Add in the conversion time, plus a complete matter and anti-matter fill-up, we're talking nine days, minimum..."
   "Eric..."
   "I know, get it done in four, I'll try, but the power curves will have to be rewritten, and there's no real data yet on how our saucer section will interact with the new warp fields..."
   "Eric..."
   "...there may be no change, but then again, the S.I.F. might draw so much power that the new warp engines might not even be worth it..."
   "Eric..."
   "...and we'll even have to re-balance the whole power grid to accept the new engines."
   "Eric, are you finally finished?"
   "Yes, actually I am."
   "Then you have the bridge, I'll be in my quarters," Mohab said, finally relieved to hear the engineer stop talking for a moment. Quickly, before anyone could get another word in, he strode the two steps to the turbo lift in one big step and hustled in. "Deck five," he managed before the doors even started to shut.
   Finally alone with his thoughts in silence, he recalled the unofficial name given to General Lee back at Utopia Planitia. If they could only see her now, he thought.
   Most of the warships on the Trail were loaners from the major races, each with their own crews. None of the ships were bigger than a light cruiser, except the General Lee, and most were scouts and frigates. The freighters, ore ships, repair ships, refineries and the new recycling ships all belonged to the company, which in turn was run by Marcus, but had a council with members each from one of the empires involved; Marcus preferred it this way, as no one was left out, and ideas and information could be shared freely amongst the salvager crews. It was, indeed, a great and profitable operation. And for the most part, everyone got along.

Czar "
The message exceeds the maximum allowed length (20000 characters)." Mohab

US Navy Veteran - Proud to Serve
Submariners Do It Underwater - Nukes Do It Back Aft - Pride Runs Deep
Have you thanked a Vet lately?

Subaru Owners Do It Horizontally Opposed!
Proud Owner - '08 WRX - '03 Baja - '98 Legacy

Offline Czar Mohab

• Faith manages.
  • Lt.
Re: Twisted Destiny: The Mohab Epic 1st half part two
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 08:44:18 am »
   There was, indeed, massive silence. Its only temporary the Czar thought to himself. Of course, he had been wrong before, like when he chose to ride over the mine chasing the Orion. But this time he was sure that this would be over soon. Long ago, during the Great War, he had been placed into a ship-wide stasis while fighting one of the first Klingon ships equipped with a stasis field generator. It was a frightening experience, but similar to what he was feeling now. This mine, however, was a new technology for him to encounter. The ability to think often came just moments before emergence from stasis, but the stasis induced by the mine might be different, allowing thoughts long before emergence. He would, of course, have to wait it out, and then decide the best course of action.
   If the stasis was short, then the Orion could easily still be within weapons range, and easily still be in the area. A prize such as the Death Giver would be hard to resist, which would lead to the Orion staying close by. On the other hand, the Orion was in quite a hurry, and intelligence gathered thus far meant that he had an appointment to keep; so he might have fled by now, or the stasis was so long that he would have been long gone anyway, or even called in reinforcements to finish them off.
   Mohab busied his mind, following random thoughts and came up with a solution. It wasn't pretty, but it would work. Mohab realized that his vision had returned, and stared at the viewscreen. Mentally, he could picture all the others, busy yet frozen at their stations. He noted that his hearing had returned as well, and K'Tal's last word, "mine", rang in his ears. Soon. Very soon. he thought. Bracing himself emotionally, he could feel the ever-so-slow movement of his hand over the temporary helm controls on his command chair. Transfer helm control to the helm. he willed himself. Suddenly, like a flash of brilliance, his hand moved and pressed a few commands. K'Tal's word stopped, and normal sounds began to play in his ears. His eyes responded again to his commands, and so had the rest of his muscles. They were finally free.
   "Report!" Blood snarled in Klingon battle tongue.
   "We are free of the stasis field," K'Tal reported. "Scanning the area... No vessels are near to us."
   "Blast it!" Mohab exclaimed and rose from his command chair, eager to find the Orion. "Helm, you now have control. K'Tal, verify the time, how long were we in stasis?"
   "It may take a moment, the computer is still catching up to itself."
   "Very well. Helm, prepare to resume course. K'Tal, stand down all weapons except phasers one through three."
   "Done, sir, however the capacitors..."
   "...are still charged, I know." Mohab finished for her. He walked silently to the currently abandoned science station and began to program a sensor change into it.
   "Sir, local access to time logs are from a nearby Klingon outpost, they confirm that we have been in stasis for two days. They also wish to send aid if we so desire."
   "Odd," Mohab thought aloud. "Why would the Klingons send aid?"
   "They picked up our communications signal, sir. They know who we are, and with both you and the Commodore aboard, they know your reputation. They say that they are honor-bound to help Commodore Blood, and by default, you."
   "Well, so much for going through Klingon space undetected," Blood commented. "At least we're famous!"
   "K'Tal," Mohab said, ignoring Blood's comment, "Send to the outpost that the only help we could use is for them to stop having Klingon warships attacking us. And see if they've seen any Orion ships in the last forty-eight hours." He continued his poking at the science station, not even looking up from his work.
   "Sent, sir," K'Tal reported. she paused a moment, reading the sensor readouts again. Finding there to still be nothing outside of significance, she turned her attention to what Mohab was doing with the sensors. Before she could speak, however, the Klingons had responded to their hail. "Sir, the outpost says that they have not seen any Orion vessels in the last forty-eight hours, but there was one that stopped by there for supplies almost three days ago."
   "Klingons helping pirate scum," Blood started, "this is outrageous!"
   "Are you not the Klingon delegate to the Orion Council on behalf of Operation Unity, Commodore?" K'Tal queried.
   "Aye, but its not the same as giving them supplies and the like. It is dishonorable."
   "I agree," K'Tal started, "but the outpost says that this Orion said that they were on a contract, leased by the Klingon Government, and had papers and contracts to back it up."
   "Have them send all pertinent data on that ship," Mohab ordered. Finally backing away from the science console and returning to his seat, he added, "hopefully they filed a flight plan with the outpost as per the standard Klingon mercenary contract, and if it is a match to the one we are after, we'll know where he went."
   "Receiving data now, confirmed match, sir."
   "K'Tal, thank the Klingons and send the course to the helm. Helm, take us to our target after a five minute wait."
   The bridge crew all stopped and looked at Mohab, expecting an answer for the delay. The science console beeped a warning, and K'Tal brought up the sensor information on her tactical panel. Her Vulcan reflexes and accuracy at  speed allowed her to digest the new information almost faster than she was receiving it. "Sir, detecting a holo-cloaked vessel off the port bow, range fifty thousand kilometers and closing fast. Unable to get a good sensor lock."
   "Helm, new plan, initiate attack pattern Mohab Five Beta," Mohab ordered, "speed warp one point two until weapons have charged, then increase to normal combat warp. K'Tal, charge photon one as standard, photon two as a full overload. Ready all phasers and standby disruptors. Shields to full, and any extra energy to reinforce shield four." Mohab pushed a comm button on his command chair's left armrest. "Missile control room."
   "MCC here, sir," came the voice of the lead missile tech.
   "We're going to need something special for this encounter. Modify the drones currently ready for launch with the parameters found in this file." Mohab pushed several buttons on his right armrest, "and inform me when you are ready." Mohab left the channel open, but did not wait for or hear the response.
   The Death Giver turned on its axis and began a slow acceleration away from its invisible attacker. "Target ship reads as Orion, power signature is an exact match to the one in our previous encounter," K'Tal reported. "Shields are still damaged from our last battles, but I do not think there will be any problem."
   "Very well. Range to target?"
   "Forty-five kilometers and closing."
   "MCC, status?"
   "Another minute or two, sir," the tech replied. "We've had to unload the drones to accommodate your modifications, but should be ready soon."
   "Weapons and range to target?"
   "Phasers at full, drones off-line, Photons one and two at fifty percent charge, disruptors standing by."
   "Overload disruptors when range to target is twenty."
   "Aye, sir, range is now thirty kilometers, still unable to get a decent sensor lock."
   A minute passed with almost silence, the only sounds coming from the hum of the mighty vessel accelerating and the beeping of personnel poking their respective consoles. The range, finally close enough, was announced by K'Tal. "MCC," Mohab started, "I need those warheads, right now!"
   "All loaded up for you, sir," the missile tech replied. "Just push your big red button."
   Mohab cut him off without a response. Finding the big, red, shiny button was easy, and a simple press launched the drones from their tubes, back toward the target. "Target has closed to range one-five," K'Tal reported.
   "Very well." The projectiles streaked towards their invisible target, unaware that they would never hit it. Simultaneously, they split directions and surrounded the target, and at a close range, detonated. Their explosions didn't do any real harm, but the extra splash effect of the explosion was enough for the Death Giver to get a good sensor lock. "Fire all available phasers," Mohab said, before anyone could mention the improved sensor lock, "helm, you know what to do."
   Death Giver's phasers shot out from behind it, and danced upon the hull of the no longer hidden pirate ship. Surprised, the pirate dropped his holo-cloak and began a slow turn that would start to get him out of the way. But Death Giver, with its superior Klingon design, was able to snap turn towards the target, allowing the best of Human weapons to bear. The pirate shuddered as the photon impacted on its hull, damaging its engines and other minor systems. The pirate had not thought that he would be seen, being holo-cloaked, and definitely did not really expect combat. It would be another half minute yet before the phasers came on-line. Not fast enough, as the two ships' closing speed was too great, and Death Giver would be out of optimal range when the phasers came ready. Just seconds before the pirates shields went active, Death Giver unleashed its last secret: Klingons and Humans can work together. The converted C-7 let loose a barrage of hell fire as an overloaded torpedo and two overloaded disruptors struck the enemy's hull. To add insult to injury. one single mine was dropped on top of the now crippled Orion raider. The ship was forced to stop, lest it trigger the mine and weaken its finally up and suddenly very precious shields.
   The captain of the raider at once knew the voice of his attacker, before he even said his name. "This is Czar Mohab, in command of the Mercenary Vessel Mohab's Death Giver. Stand down, and prepare to be boarded."
   "Like hell," the pirate responded. His ship may have been damaged, but wasn't yet out of the fight...

Czar "its not done yet, but since I'll be away from this for a while, thought I'd let y'all have it" Mohab, who notes that he hates the imposed character limit, but will deal with it anyway.

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 09:14:05 am »
Czar "The message exceeds the maximum allowed length (20000 characters)." Mohab

Isn't that annoying?
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 09:06:27 pm »
You tell a lot in very few paragraphs. But the detail remains good. Hard to accomplish that feat.

I'm reading these, but am not an Andromedan fan...  I'm also slowed by the green writing. But all in all, am happy with the continuing tale.

Write on, please!

--thu guv!
'It's a lot of hard work being a mean bastard...' --Captain Eric Finlander, CO USS Bedford (The Bedford Incident)

'Jaken...are you pretending to be dead?' --Lord Sesshomaru, Inuyasha.

Offline Czar Mohab

• Faith manages.
  • Lt.
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 05:33:10 pm »
   “And now, Admiral. we wait,” Jacob said solemnly, sitting at his command chair.
   “What is it that we are waiting for?” Admiral George replied. He had taken up his normal standing location behind the helmsman’s console.
   “That group of tugs, there,” Jacob pointed at the view screen. Eight Federation tugs sat in a neat line, awaiting entrance to Starbase Three. Agamemnon was ninth in line. “They got here right before us, and now we have to wait.”
   “Doesn’t the Federation give priority to starships and warships?” George was puzzled at the concept, and his fur ruffled around his ears.
   “Normally, yes, but not this ship, and definitely not to those tugs. They are carrying station supply and repair parts, and besides, we can’t make full repairs until after they dock. They have our parts.”
   “There’s one more thing that I wish to discuss with you, Commodore,” the cat started. His gaze met Jacob’s and instantly the commodore new what kind of conversation the massive cat had in mind. “But not here,” George finished, almost whispering.
   “To the main conference room, then?” Jacob stood and the pair headed to the turbo lift at the aft end of the bridge. The doors swished open and allowed them admittance. Once inside, the doors swished shut, and Jacob said, “Deck three.”
   With little more than a mechanical grumble, the lift started on its short journey below. The lift deposited them in short order, and the pair strode down the main corridor towards the conference room, nary a word spoken betwixt them. It was a relatively short walk down the large open corridor, and George managed to admire the ship’s internal construction, despite having recently been stationed on a Federation starbase. The similarities, he noted, were many, but there was enough of a difference to notice. For instance, the way he felt the deckplates vibrating beneath his padded toes was a large contrast to the relatively solid starbase deckplates. The lighting was slightly dimmer, which he preferred, but doubted that any Humans would notice. Then there was the ever present hum of the warp reaction chamber that he could hear, where on Hyperion Station the power core was too distant from anywhere he had been to hear, with the notable exception of the engineering bay.
   The duo made it to their destination and the doors obediently opened for them, allowing them ingress. Finding the room sufficiently empty, George began, “I want to come with you on your mission, wherever that may lead us.”
   “Personally,” Jacob replied, “I don’t have a problem with that. However, we have been good friends for a long time.” He paused, and briefly recalled the young Ensign Brown Tiger, eager and willing to learn everything during his Federation-Kzinti exchange program. Jacob had taught him much, and learned a lot from him in their time together. But that was a different time, and a different place. “I don’t want that, or our difference in rank, to come between us. And,” he continued, “I think that I would like for you to take some bridge shifts. You’ve been stuck shore side too long, and you need to get your sea legs back, so to speak.”
   “I agree fully. There is one issue; my government has given me an extended leave of absence for recovery time. This is fine by me, but for anything that I do or order or whatever they will not be held responsible, and I don’t think that your Federation would be willing to take that responsibility.”
   “You worry too much, my friend. The crew loves you, the Federation says you’re the new ‘Hero of Hyperion’, and I’ve already made arrangements. Your government has issued orders for you to partake in our research mission, and Star Fleet has approved. But you didn’t have me come down here just to talk about this. What is on your mind?”
   “I have followed the exploits of your late father rather well,” he spoke quietly, as if to honor the name and fame of the great Czar Mohab. “He was a hero to most of the known galaxy. When Unity was getting on its feet, he undertook a mission to thwart the Andromedan’s from getting their hands on the technology that they used to destroy Hyperion.”
   “Yes, this I know. When my mother died shortly after my brother and I were born, she made sure that we were brought up knowing all we could of his life, and hers.”
   “But you must know that he failed that mission…”
   Angrily, Jacob interrupted, “He didn’t fail; he never failed anything he attempted!”
   “I’ll rephrase, then,” George said apologetically. “He didn’t quite complete his mission as planned.”
   “Same difference, but go on.”
   “He never returned from the Lair.”
   “The what? Lair? What lair?”
   “The Andromedan Lair. A secret base of operations where ships would gather and be launched back into our galaxy, outside what we know as explored and controlled space. Its only a rumor, but that is where, we believe, he had gone. The coordinates you gave the helmsman, do they go anywhere near here?” George stopped and reached under his tunic and produced a data chip. Jacob, puzzled, took the chip and set it into the nearby computer terminal’s interface.  His eyes sifted through the data and his brain struggled to keep up. When he had finished, there was silence.
   “I have no idea how you managed that. No one knew but my father and his crew, my brother and myself. No one knows! But this… How old is this?”
   “Almost fifty years. During Unity, there were several border skirmishes between us and the Klingons. One of the few where we managed to break through we found the hulk of an Orion battle raider. My people scanned the hulk, which revealed that there was several different weapon impacts; phasers, photons, and disruptors primarily.”
   “So? Many derelicts have that kind of damage, probably another raider fragged them.”
   “Not this time. All the weapon traces, including the disruptors, came back as Star Fleet. Only one vessel in your fleet ever fielded the Federation’s disruptors.”
   “My god, do you know what this means?”
   “Yeah, I do, as a matter of fact. It means that your father was there. He succeeded in this half of his mission. The Kzinti vessels recorded every log and file, but most had been erased. These coordinates where all that remained.”
   “Like a post dated ‘find me here if you don’t see me soon’ message.”
   “Precisely.”
   “We need to go, and soon, the repairs can wait.”
   “I wouldn’t go that far. On the off chance your father did survive, he’s been there for forty-five years. What’s a day or three?”
   “I know. We need to give Marcus some more time to get there.” Jacob began to pace around the room. “So why do you really want to go?”
   “Most days on the station were routine. It wasn’t like the old days, warships and convoys and aliens interacting… I had a lot of free time, and I spent most of it researching those that most influenced the station’s existence. Your father was one of them, along with Kadh, Blood, Nicastro, Blyre, Brezzgone, Kotheme, and so many others from so many other races. Every one of them had some sort of end to their tale, except Blood and your father, that is.” George watched as his human counterpart paced. His fur ruffled and he gently shook his head. “I followed them, and in honor of them, I’d like to find where they went to.”
   “You are already coming along, my friend. You didn’t need a reason.”
   “I know, but I felt you should know why.”
   “There is one more thing, George.”
   “What is that?”
   “This is the last Star Fleet vessel to still have missile tubes, but please if you have to use them, go sparingly. They are expensive, and our budget keeps getting cut back.”
   “Why would I use them? Its your ship, after all.”
   “Because next time we see battle, I’m letting you run the show!”
   “Oh, goodie for me!” George exclaimed, and rolled his eyes.

Czar "where'd all the normal color go?" Mohab

Offline Czar Mohab

• Faith manages.
  • Lt.
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 05:35:51 pm »
   "Helm, bring us around, and coordinate with tactical for best speed!" Mohab ordered. The helmsman gave a slight nod to the Czar, and began inputting the information into the helm. "K'Tal, standard load disruptors and charge the phasers. Standby on torpedoes. Have combat teams one through five standby outside the transporter room in five, no make that four, minutes."
   "Acknowledged, sir," K'Tal replied. She added, "Orion still does not have phasers armed, and is attempting a slow move from our mine. Our weapons are at fourty-two percent charge and will be ready in thirty-five seconds."
   "Helm, remember to bring us for a starboard pass, shield six is still weak."
   "I know sir," the helmsman replied. "Recomend a port side approach for boarding parties, the shield is almost down anyway."
   "Negative, helm. I plan on taking our target the same way I took this ship. All you and K'Tal need to do is get me a downed shield. Any will do but I'd prefer their aft shield."
   "I'll do my best to keep us on their rear, however, should they clear that mine and accelerate..."
   "They won't. K'Tal, you have permission to fire only to disable. Once any shield is down, use the main deflector array to emit a phased tachyon pulse and detonate the mine."
   "Sir, that has a good probability of dropping us out of warp."
   "Unlikely so long as our shields hold. It should cause a cascade failure of their warp fields and prevent any new ones from forming."
   "How do you know all of this?" Blood asked. If his brow had furrowed under his confusion, no one noticed; his brow ridges covered it up quite well.
   "It was K'Tal's idea, almost six years ago now. Our fleet had engaged a Klingon fleet near the Neutral Zone. In a show of respect, we offered to fight best ship to best ship. This ship was our target, and we were on the battle cruiser Saunders. After a long and more or less pointless exchange of long range fire, we managed to convince the captain of the Death Giver to close the distance. Fooling them into firing first, we passed underneath them and dropped a mine, without firing back. We made a fast turn and let loose everything we had into their aft shield, then detonated the mine," Mohab paused his recolection and sighed. It had been a glorious battle. "Death Giver lost warp, and we moved in and forced a docking, right below the impule engine complex. The rest," he paused again, extending his arms and sweeping his body left to right, as if showing a newcomer the grandure of the vessel, "is history."
   "And we're going to have a repeat performance?" the Klingon asked.
   "Of course, so long as the Orion cooperates."
   "Target has lost aft shield," K'Tal interrupted. "Detonating mine. Target speed now warp one, warp point eight, point two... they have gone sublight."
   "Very well. Helm, force the dock."
   "Aye, sir," the helmsman replied. K'Tal, please, tractor beams when you're ready?"
   "Commodore Blood, if you'll join me in the forward docking area. I believe you will find this quite enjoyable. And K'Tal, I wouldn't want our prize to say, blow itself up, so as soon as you can, do whatever interfacing you need to to disable the self distruct. EMP pulse them if you have to; and send over our boarding parties waiting in the transporter room," he paused long enough to stand and start toward the bridge's turbo lift. Blood followed him to the lift's door. "Have teams one through three hit the bridge, four and five engineering, and six through ten minus eight meet us at the airlock." They stepped into the waiting car, and before K'Tal could respond, he added, "You have the bridge." The doors wooshed shut, silencing out the bridge's routine noises.
   "Destination?" the computer's gruff Klingon voice sounded.
   "Deck four, forward docking," Blood responded. "I still appreciate how your people left the computer as is, even though they more or less redesigned everything else."
   "Surprisingly," Mohab replied, "the Klingon computer is more efficient."
   Blood chuckled, and the lift began its fast pace to their destination.

There were few things that Marcus hated more than a vibrating command chair, but he could not think of any at the moment. The modifications to the ship were more extensive than what any of them had envisioned, but was well worth the work. General Lee set itself a new warp speed record, nine point six seven, and nearly shook itself apart. So many test were run, and after all the data was correlated, Eric managed to stabilize the vibrations down to a minimum while maintaining the most efficient warp speed, nine point two. Before, because of all the modifications for salvaging, the mighty ship could only dream of exceeding warp eight. Now, sporting four main warp nacelles, there was sufficient warp field stability to not only enter but maintain for months on end, more than warp nine. Marcus and his crew were very impressed, and he had wondered why Star Fleet abandoned the idea. Then he sat down in his command chair and realized that ships of this shape were not designed for the stresses of such an intricate warp field. Star Fleet had given up on the Excelsior based design, and moved it on to the Constellation class.
   “Sir?” Mindy interrupted the vibrating silence.
   “What have you got?” Marcus asked, swiveling around in his command chair to look at the tactical station.
   “Agamemnon on extreme range sensors, sir.”
   “Any way we can get by them without them noticing?”
   “No, sir. They should be picking us up soon.”
   “Fine then. Helm, intercept course, scare the bejeebus out of them. Shane, stand by to hail them.”
   “I thought that you wanted to get there ahead of your brother?” Shane asked.
   “Well, I did. But then again we could make a small convoy out of this. Where we're heading, we'd be better off paired up. Besides, we could still make it there before that hunk of junk, just punch up the warp factor at the last minute."
   "OK, if we're making this a group effort, then why not take point?"
   "And let this ship get scratched up by stray rocks and space debris? Star Fleet can afford a new paint job every week or so, we've got to be careful."
   "Whatever, sir. Agamemnon has opened a channel, on screen now."
   Star Fleet's oldest dreadnought hung for a moment longer and was replaced by the image of a brown and black striped Kzinti, in full admiral's get up, and snarling in a not to pleasant snarl. "This is Admiral Browntiger," the cat hissed, "of the Kzinti warship Agamemnon. Surrender your vessel and prepare to be borded."
   "George... Jeez, really," Marcus started, "it works better when your target doesn't know you."
   George laughed a hissing Kzinti laugh. "I know, I was hoping you'd not remember. I've sent a runner to wake your brother. You should come over, we've alot to discuss."
   "Can do my good friend. See you in, say, ten?"
   "Done, main transporter room is available for you."
   "We'll be there, Marcus, out." He made a gesture to Shane to cut the transmission, and the screen faded back to the old warship and stars. "Mindy you have the bridge," Marcus said as he left his command chair and made way to the turbo lift.

Czar "I couldn't help myself" Mohab, who recalls what master Kadh wrote about Klingon ships not so long ago

Offline Czar Mohab

• Faith manages.
  • Lt.
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 05:38:51 pm »
   “Name and rank!” Mohab demanded of his captive, again.
   “I’ve told you already!” the weary pirate captain replied. He tried to turn his head, but his blood and sweat soaked grey shirt had crusted at the collar, and the movement caused his abused skin to scream at him in agony. Such is the life of the tortured the prisoner thought to himself. “Joseph S. Talon, Captain of the raider Stolen Dreams. I was smuggling stolen technology for…”
   “Answer the question asked, not a breath more!” Mohab interrupted, shouting. He lowered his voice, “What was your mission?” Talon felt the pressure of the chair on his back, reassuring him that there was something solid to rest on. The feeling was fleeting, as his weakened body betrayed him and forced him to slump and fall to the floor in an agonizing thud. Mohab smiled down at him. “I’m courteous enough to give you a chair and you insult me by not using it? Guard! Remove the chair!” A burly guard came into the room and removed the chair, and shoved the struggling prisoner back to the deck. “What was your mission?” Mohab continued.
   Talon remained semi-laying on the ice cold floor. His fingers found the drain that so much of his blood, sweat, and other body fluids had escaped through. Through clenched teeth he spoke, “I was… smuggling stolen technology… for the Andromedans.”
   “I am so glad that you are being so cooperative. Where were you going to meet your contact?”
   “I have… given you the coordinates… They were in… our computer… I don’t know them off hand.”
   “Why?” Talon regarded the man, and the question, in silent agony, but gave no sign of answering. “It is a simple question; would you like me to rephrase it? Why would you be willing to deal with the Andromedans?” Talon continued his silence. “There are two ways out of this room. You answer my questions, and you walk out the door behind me, a free man and we will drop you off as soon as we can. Quarters have already been arranged for you. If you do not, you will walk, or rather be blown, out the door behind you. We are far from home and low on supplies, so you will, of course, be stripped naked first.” Mohab smiled and gestured to the air lock door, and open space behind him. “Your decision, but make it soon. So I ask again, why?”
   Talon smiled wide. As long as I don’t give him the information, he won’t kill me he thought. “Stroke off!” was his only reply as the sweet release of calming unconsciousness surrounded his beaten mind and allowed him some peace.
   Mohab turned and walked out of the small torture chamber, and addressed the guards in attendance outside. “Start it again, and ask the same questions when this cycle is over.” For the third time in twenty minutes, the lights in the corridor dimmed as the agonizer booth energized. The door swished shut as Talon’s unconscious form was forced to endure another round. A slight scream escaped the room in the last milliseconds before the door finally shut. Mohab was pleased that Star Fleet had modified the room to be soundproof. He had pulled many a string to get them to even leave it installed. Torture was not the Federation’s way. It was a rousing argument, but eventually the brass gave in. It had to be the part about structural integrity, since the booth was directly attached to an airlock.
Blood greeted him at the door and looked at him in dismay. “Why,” he started, “are you keeping him in there? He’s told you everything that he knows.”
   “Not everything,” Mohab countered. “I want to know why he would sell out his own people, his own galaxy, not just who to or for how much.” They began a slow walk away from the booth towards a waiting turbo lift.  Mohab turned his head back to the attending guards and spoke, “If he’s willing to talk, let me know instantly. If he doesn’t in four more cycles in the booth, space him.” Not waiting for a response, the pair continued on their way to the lift. “Main bridge,” Mohab ordered the lift as soon as they entered.
   It was a short lift ride and soon the carriage dropped them off on the bridge. Mohab was greeted by nods from his crew and beeps from the running interface panels. “Report!” he ordered as he and Blood strode to their respective chairs and sat.
   “On course at warp four,” K’Tal reported, “and shields are repaired. All systems are operating at nominal. Estimated arrival time is twenty minutes.”
   “Very good, K’Tal,” Mohab replied. “You have already input the changes to our sensors for accessing the network?”
   “I have, sir. However, I do not believe that using the network would be wise.”
   “Why wouldn’t it be?” Blood asked. “They are expecting a pirate vessel, after all. And since we are pirates now...” Blood let the thought hang for a moment. “I don’t see the problem”
   “I concur,” Mohab replied.
   “Very well then,” K’Tal continued. “There is also the fact that our vessel, pirate or otherwise, is not equipped to travel in the network.”
   “Then I guess you will be busy trying to keep the ship together. Helm, increase our speed to maximum warp.”
   “Engineering acknowledges max warp,” the helmsman replied. “New ETA is two minutes.”
   “Once we get there, find the opening quickly and take us in, I don’t want to run the risk of being scanned if we don’t have to.”
   “Picking up the network on long range sensors, sir,” K’Tal calmly stated
   “I am adjusting our course and the end warp program,” The helmsman replied. “There will be twenty seconds before we reach the entrance. Is that enough time?”
   K’Tal processed the information in her Vulcan brain faster than the computer did, and before the acknowledging beep, simply replied to the helmsman’s query, “Yes.”
   Minutes ticked away in the way only two short minutes could: very long. There was a lot riding on this gambit. Entering the dragon’s lair was one thing. Following the long trail straight to the dragons themselves, alone, was quite another. Effortlessly, the battle cruiser slipped quietly out of high-warp and dropped to sub light. Invisible strands of energy stretched from the main sensor array, triggering the opening to the Andromedan’s rapid transit network. Nearby, one of the dragons’ eyes peered sleepily as the ship began to enter, but paid no more attention to it as if it were one of its own. Gently, the Sat Base told the gate to allow the foreign ship entry, and without further interruption in the network, Mohab’s Death Giver began its final leg of this journey.

Czar "last of the first" Mohab, who notes that when the time is right, there will be the first of the last.

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 10:17:18 pm »
A good continuance. And getting back online with some action also!

More!

--thu guv!
'It's a lot of hard work being a mean bastard...' --Captain Eric Finlander, CO USS Bedford (The Bedford Incident)

'Jaken...are you pretending to be dead?' --Lord Sesshomaru, Inuyasha.

Offline Scottish Andy

• First Officer of the Good Ship Kusanagi
  • Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 03:09:35 pm »
Good, solid continuation, Mohab. Very reminiscent of Kadh's style of storytelling, though I think you put a bit more meat on the bones.

Like the Guv, I'm not overly concerned with the Andros, but you tell and entertaining tale. I'llgo read the next bit shortly.
Come visit me at:  www.Starbase23.net

The Senior Service rocks! Rule, Britannia!

The Doctor: "Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink."
Mickey: "Wot's that?"
The Doctor: "No idea. Just made it up. Didn't want to say 'Magic Door'."
- Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

Offline Czar Mohab

• Faith manages.
  • Lt.
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 07:18:47 pm »
...Very reminiscent of Kadh's style of storytelling...

Well, Kadh and I, along with others here (Hsta for one that I can see easily because the screen name hasn't changed), were the authors of Hyperion... Everything Hyperion came from back then. Might have picked up a few things from Kadh back then.

Czar "Thats where the green is from" Mohab, who notes that on one of the KA fiction boards, they use red, and it sucks.

[/color]

Offline CaptJosh

• Lt.
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 07:49:33 pm »
Great story. Interesting shfts in scene and PoV.

nitpick: It is very firmly established that anything less than Warp 1 is sublight. The Warp scale, regardless of which era, starts with Warp 1 equivalent to c in realspace. You might want to change that countdown of the craft's speed to "Warp one point eight, point two, warp one...enemy vessel has droped out of warp." or something to that effect.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Czar Mohab

• Faith manages.
  • Lt.
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 07:34:25 pm »
My warp scale gets the nit, but not a word about "Joseph S. Talon" (take the "." out, and read again)?

I know that (not so) deep in Module Y the SFB speed-to-common-warp speed conversion exists. I just don't care to use it (it says something like "...could go warp X (speed Y)...").

I use warp "X.Y" such that an SFB speed of XY can be obtained, so that I can better keep track of ship's system status.

i.e. Warp 3.1 is SFB speed 31. W 2.4 is SFBS 24. Other than that, i don't think I can clarify more, it has been much too long for me to recall the exact point to which you claim as a nit (yet, for some reason, Little Joe sticks out...). If I want a higher speed, I'll just say something generic like "high warp" or the actual speed itself.

Just hope that I've clarified it enough.

Czar "I think this makes us necro-posters" Mohab