Topic: Heavy Command Cruiser (FCB)  (Read 13929 times)

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
Heavy Command Cruiser (FCB)
« on: June 19, 2007, 06:07:47 pm »
Yeah, another Connie. I know we already have 400 Connie models, but 399 of them weren't done by me. So, it's not my fault (and I am trying to make it a bit different). :P

The refit Ent was such a drastic redo of the TOS Connie it's led some to speculate that there must have been intermediate refits between the ship we saw on screen in the original series and the one in the movies. Possibly it was at a time when technology was changing very quickly, similar to the mid 20th century after WWII. Possibly not all refits were seen by all ships before a newer refit supplanted it. If you look at the SFB/SFC history you'll see that some ships (The Enterprise is one) received their x-refit from command cruisers (FCC). Others (The USS Vincennes, for instance) were refitted from the heavy command cruiser (FCB). This model depicts the configuration of the FCB as an interim design from the FCC to the FCX.
What I'm doing is taking what looks best from the TOS and TMP designs and combining them into a single design to bridge the difference. I know what I like about the two designs. I think that the TMP Impulse assembly looks way better than  the TOS one, for example, and I've used the TMP design on this model. Same goes with the TMP deflector over the TOS dish. I've also combined some things. The bridge area is a combination of the 2 eras, as are the nacelles. Etcetera...There's no textures on her yet. What you see here is pure mesh. I've colored some areas differently to make them more visible on the plain mesh.
I'm figuring most people prefer the TMP aztecing to the smooth TOS paint job? Should it be TMP 2 toned or all white with just decals to set it off? Which fonts and registry style? If anyone has any input on what their favorite parts are from the 2 designs and would like to see combined, let me know. Thus, the reason for this thread. What'cha think? 8)

Small update to the nacelles to get the dimensions closer to the refit Ent.

Click the wee pics to see biguns

« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 11:34:28 pm by Rod ONeal »
If Romulans aren't cowards, then why do they taste like chicken?

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
Re: Heavy Command Cruiser (FCB)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 07:43:26 pm »
I think it should have the TMP registry font, and a combination of TOS and TMP hull markings/aztecs.  I'm assuming this refit would place this ship in the middle of the prerefit Constitutions and the refitted Constitutions.
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 08:34:05 pm »
Seconded on hull texture and markings.

I see this as a sort of pathfinder for a constitution refit, prolly set in late TOS, a rough Phase-II if you will. Probably a one-off in 'canon' trek as the design was further refined to Phase-II standard (the ship even converted to that standard?), and then the lessons learned here were applied to the Enterprise.

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 09:01:29 pm »
This would most likely be the refit immediately prior to the phase 2 refit. (This is the last refit prior to X1 tech in SFB).
I agree, unless someone knows a reason otherwise, that it should use TMP font. If for no other reason it's generally accepted as an upgrade cosmetically. So, why not go with it? This wasn't a one-off refit. There were a few CBs produced. Not all CCs were converted to this class though. Some were later directly converted to CX (The CBs also received the X1 refit.), bypassing the CB refit. So, it either wasn't around for very long or there wasn't  a need for more than the few produced. Most likely there just wasn't enough time to convert them all before the class was obsolete.
One difference that might show cosmetically is the shields. This ship didn't have the X1 shield refit. If I understand correctly that would mean it would have the same gridwork on it's saucer as the TOS Connie. I would therefore also go with other TOS styling cues on the saucer textures. I've designed the saucer with this in mind. Am I interpreting this correctly? Is the grid on the saucer the "shield grid"? If so, it should be TOS style.

Offline Fallen_Warrior

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Go to hell Frey
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 06:38:57 am »
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 09:29:29 am by Fallen_Warrior »
All that remains are ashes caused by neglect and self loathing

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 04:43:44 pm »
Thanks. I'm working on mapping it out now. This is where I wish that I'd left some details off. lol

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 06:52:10 pm »
 ;D

Well those warps are certainly unique and logical for prototypes. Perhaps the Loknar class USS Phobos had a similar set of pre-TMP warp engines too?

Qapla'

KF
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC
Commander, Task Force Kraag Dorr's Teeth First Strike Squadron

Offline USS Mariner

• Heavy Cruiser, NCC-1712
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 12:16:39 pm »
I love the engines. The rest of the ship, not so much (though the B/C Deck has tons of potential.)

If I wasn't so busy, I'd generously point out some things via mesh, but I'm too busy with a pet project.
"Improve a mechanical device and you may double productivity. But improve man, you gain a thousandfold." - Khan

Steam: Mariner1712

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 02:03:12 pm »
Aah, I see. This is the CB?

I have to wonder when the major cosmetic changes "Officially" took place, according to canon trek lore. Perhaps in 2212 according to the one source I have (scott's guide to the enterprise) when starfleet dropped individual mission icons to go with Enterprise's. They probably also changed over the font as well. According to that book, the trend of not applying the "thermal paint coat" was started to save weight on ship construction- giving the TMP enterprise the 'naked hull' look.

Offline Red_Sharif

• Junior Programmer-At-Arms
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 02:47:06 pm »
Lookin' good so far.

Off topic: How are your SFB Rommies coming?

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 07:15:54 pm »
Actually KF, most Fed ships have unique nacelles, from what I can see. It seems like designers are given free artistic reign, as far as that goes. Which is cool, IMO.

Norsehound, good info on the hull painting. So if, as in this case, the refit would be mostly internal it should probably have the smoother TOS look, you think?
The saucer and most of the engineering hull is from the original ship. The nacelles, struts, bridge, lower sensor dome, and shuttle bay are new (also TMP deflector instead of the dish). While I prefer the look of the TMP visible plating, it might not be appropriate on this ship.
I could still do the blue paint on the engineering hull and neck ala TMP. I was planning on giving the bridge the TMP treatment, too.

I have the Rom frigate mostly done. I'm just not too sure that I'm happy with it. I figured I'd set it aside for a bit and then revisit it. The Sparrowhawk light cruiser mesh is done, Needs to be mapped and textured. I loose focus on designs and have to look at something new sometimes. Then I can go back and work on it again later.

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 01:36:02 am »
I guess it depends on when you set your ship's design in relation to when Starfleet made the 'great change' in starship design, weather or not you wish to agree with Scott's Guide to the Enterprise (SGttE), and what kind of relationship it has with the Enterprise refit.

Though not entirely canon, I do like to use SGttE as explanation for most of the changes going into refitting the Enterprise. For example, the reason for the new struts, apparently, is because of the greater power of the engines. The originals (FWF-1) didn't have their full potential of power as they were designed to propel the secondary hull on impulse in the event of a separation. Thus, the TMP nacelles (FWG-1) were designed purely for warp travel and had greater power, thus needing a stronger connection to the hull.

In fact, the text also mentions that with the engineering hull no longer serving as a lifeboat, that entire area was redesigned to function purely as an engineering/utilities space. All crew quarters and rec facilities were eliminated there during the refit.

Basicly, what was supposed to be a simple engine-swap and refit turned into (in Enterprise's case) a complete redesign. This doesn't exclude the possibility of other refits and test fits, though it does say many systems are exclusive to Enterprise, as she was the first refitted of her kind.

The "Light grey themocoat" was removed from all ships 90,000 metric tons and above when Enterprise was being refitted- to save weight and because everyone liked how the hull looked.

This doesn't mean shouldn't do whatever you wish to do with your model, but for the sake of background information and what the book has to say, I present these facts. :) Whatever the case, the ship is spiffy.

EDIT: Well, according to SGttE, the type faces were changed over to "Star Fleet Bold Extended" in 2210. Microgramma, and Microgramma Bold extended were other fonts used for interior designing, pannels, and so on. Presumably this was when markings were also switched over, if not shortly afterward.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 03:05:50 am by Norsehound »

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 06:03:49 am »
Here's an update. I tried no aztecing, but it looked like something was missing.  This isn't exactly "Big-E" aztecing and I went with the 28 spline grid work. No light maps yet and I'm not happy with the Registry, but this shows what I'm up to.

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2007, 12:49:22 am »
Ready to start on the nacelles now. Then light maps and a bit of weathering. It's coming along though.

Offline Fallen_Warrior

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Go to hell Frey
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2007, 04:21:01 am »
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 09:37:07 am by Fallen_Warrior »

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007, 01:15:29 am »
Thanks, FW. Well, it's almost done. Here's the final WIP pics. Did them with proper lighting and background. The next post should be a release announcement. So many people have been clamoring for this one.  :laugh:

Offline Fallen_Warrior

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Go to hell Frey
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2007, 06:49:12 am »
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 09:40:24 am by Fallen_Warrior »

Offline Centurus

• Bow before the power of my rubber chickens!!!
  • Captain
  • Master of the Rubber Chicken!!!
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2007, 02:55:55 pm »
Oooooo, now that's dead sexy!!!!! :-D  *drools*
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2007, 03:48:22 pm »
Thanks guys.
It's funny how before you get started you develop a plan. Then as you get going so much changes. It's all quite fluid, actually. Then there's the stuff that I should have done different. I should have made the saucer taller below the centerline and I'm not real happy about the saucer neck/photon assembly. I'll use that stuff as inspiration for the next Fed design, I suppose.
I'd like to do a Mars-class refit or maybe a DNL, but right now they'd be too hipoly. I need to hone my lowpoly modelling skills a bit more. Unless it's got a fairly high level of detailing and lack of faceting, it's not really worth doing a new one, IMO. There's usually pretty good examples of most Fed ships already done.

Anyway, I'm finishing the light maps. Then I can get it ready for SFC.

Offline Terradyhne

• Lt.
    • Terradyhne-yards
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2007, 02:13:50 pm »
cool model and verry good textures, i like it verry much  8)  :D  :)

"there will be no better worlds with human presence as mankind tends to ignorance, intolerance and selfishness, despite they tell you about themselves"

Offline Cromwell

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • These are the voyages...
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2007, 04:20:40 pm »
wow, not a big tos or tmp fan but I have to bow down before a greatly detailed modly, nicely done. I look forward to the release of this one.

Offline Starforce2

• Bridge Commander Ambassador
  • Commander
    • Nightsoft SFC File Dump
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2007, 07:30:03 pm »
It's out already, as I have it, unless this is a different version.

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2007, 12:58:16 pm »
It's out already, as I have it, unless this is a different version.

you are correct it's at battleclinic

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2007, 03:40:44 pm »
Looks good Rod but I do like Warp Nacelles the same as P81s.

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2007, 02:08:09 am »
Thanks for the comments, guys. I guess some of you were on holiday when she was released.  :) Here's the DL link at Battleclinic.

http://www.battleclinic.com/docks/dock.php?id=4420#4420

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2007, 06:54:20 pm »
i was thinking something different for the deflectors dish, something between the golden dish and the grid of tmp, and about the impulse engine something close to the tos but not the tmp one would be interesting

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2007, 08:08:06 pm »
i was thinking something different for the deflectors dish, something between the golden dish and the grid of tmp, and about the impulse engine something close to the tos but not the tmp one would be interesting

The original idea was to incorporate the most popular design elements from the tmp Ent on a TOS "airframe". I had to modify it a bit. For example, I was going to use TMP aztecing, but when I did I didn't really like the look. I went with a more basic plating instead. The TMP deflector and impulse though were two popular TMP aspects that I thought worked on the ship. So, I went with them.