Topic: NCC-1371 Republic  (Read 12953 times)

Offline USS Mariner

• Heavy Cruiser, NCC-1712
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Junior Grade
NCC-1371 Republic
« on: June 21, 2007, 12:28:31 pm »
I'm building Kirk's Republic, Baton Rouge-class. Loosely based on the Spaceflight Chronology painting by Rick Sternbach.

Original Painting

My WIP

I'm obviously adding other influences as well. Heck, I should call it C-1371D :p

Approximately 22,000 tris so far, though Max(9) somehow deleted a half-dozen edges just after rendering, which I'm very leery about (They've been corrected before posting.) The pattern on the top part of the B/C Deck is intentional, so I can tell which is front untill I add the impulse deck.

I've had edges disappear at random on a few projects, even low poly ones, so I'm not sure if it's a glitch or something more serious. Any advice or explanation would be appreciated.

Don't fret about the poly count, as I plan to make a playable, low poly version for SFC/OP when this is done. :)
"Improve a mechanical device and you may double productivity. But improve man, you gain a thousandfold." - Khan

Steam: Mariner1712

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
Re: NCC-1371 Republic
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 01:56:26 pm »
I don't recall if anyone has ever made a C-57D model before... :D

This ship is a pretty good contender for a replacement for the CLs of OP. They're older ships according to SFB lore, and if the CA is the TOS Connie, then ships from the spaceflight chronology are good contenders for older ships still in service (other than the Texas-class).

Continue, I'd like to see what you do with the front. The pic you've posted is the only one I've ever seen of this ship.

Offline Norsehound

• Lt.
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 02:08:57 am »
Hey, any news on progress for this ship?

Offline USS Mariner

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 10:38:42 am »
I've been camping for a week, I'll be posting later in July.
"Improve a mechanical device and you may double productivity. But improve man, you gain a thousandfold." - Khan

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 11:53:11 am »
BUMP, it's later in the month  ;)

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.

Offline Fallen_Warrior

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Go to hell Frey
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 03:34:17 pm »
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 09:42:55 am by Fallen_Warrior »
All that remains are ashes caused by neglect and self loathing

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 07:26:37 pm »
yeah come on its mid june, i need a fix dude

:o wow bro musta been one hella party ya lost a whole month it's mid JULY  :laugh:

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.

Offline Fallen_Warrior

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Go to hell Frey
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 10:56:45 am »
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 09:43:52 am by Fallen_Warrior »
All that remains are ashes caused by neglect and self loathing

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 12:24:03 pm »
More Bumping !!!!!!!!!!!! Update Please

Offline USS Mariner

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 06:36:11 am »
I do apologize for the wait, but I'm working on it.

Part of the delay is that I've been juggling my work in "The Mikado" for the local theatre group here. I should have stuff before September.

And if all goes well, this new version should be easier to finish.

Offline USS Mariner

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 12:15:21 pm »

Your welcome, and so is my hard drive (and sanity. I've shaved a ton of tris off of this beast.)

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2007, 03:09:04 pm »
Err.... aren't the sides of the saucer meant to be "squared off" if you look even with squint in bad light at Rick Steinbeck's diagrams.

Which secondary hull are you planning to use and will you be doing the TOS period carrier version??

The NCC 1371 Republic was one of the Archon Class cruisers, which were an earlier version of the Constitution Class. The Baton Rouge Class dates back earlier but would have been in service at the same time. Who created the mistake that the Republic was a Baton Rouge Class isn't known, but it was within recent years and still lingers even now, despite the majority of folks pointing out it wasn't.

Its about time someone did a Baton Rouge Class.

Names I've seen mentioned are USS Lenin, USS Moscow, USS Baton Rouge, USS Red October, USS St. Petersburg. Their place in the registery number scheme is disputed as Stienbeck never specifies a registery for any of his ship designs. I'd place it under the 1000's but around the 400 to 460 range as the Burke Class frigate (NCC 301) is of a similar design style.

Moskva Class cruisers, which seem to have similar Warp Engines, are listed as starting at NCC 374 onwards, following on after Buford Class missile frigates.

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline USS Mariner

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2007, 04:33:18 pm »
Umm, this is my take of the design, even though I am keeping the basic forms and shapes.

Secondly, there is no defined class for Republic, period. I just happen to be in the crowd that likes it as a Baton Rouge, as lots of people have for about 40 years.

That's from an old comic.

Not to be mean, but please, this isn't that important, and I've got other things to do, let alone finishing this model.

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2007, 01:16:06 pm »
I've seen several versions of the secondary hull, some of which are not pretty, but I prefer the original Rick Steinbeck version. The Deflector dish mounting structure he portrays look more interesting.

I think that the corogation of the engines will be a bit tricky to replicate, but I figure that you'll come up with a solution.

It was Franz Joseph who suggested that the Republic was converted to Constitution Class. Since that time that's been the assumption made by everyone else. Kirk states that there were only 12 ships in the Constitutuion Class in one TOS episode. I often wondered why the Constelation was regarded as a Connie when the ship has vast differences to the Impulse drive and hull structure if one looks. (Actually the model used in the episode "The Doomsday Machine" was a plastic Aurora model of the Enterprise.)   

At the moment I'm in the middle of yet another go at attempting to create SCNN Warp Engnes so that I can convert a Surya to a Quillen Class frigate. talk about awkward shapes to manipulate!!

Good luck with the Baton Rouge!!

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline KOTH-KieranXC, Ret.

• Spokesman, Punisher Industries
  • Lt. Commander
  • K-Fo, diehard SFCer and Taldrenite, est. 2000
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 03:17:03 pm »
Jeebus, it's 'Sternbach', not 'Steinbeck'. ::) You're getting your Trek designers mixed up with your English writers.
"One minute to space doors."

"Are you just going to walk through them?"

"Calm yourself, Doctor."

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 03:51:50 pm »
No matter, I've always liked the Baton Rouge Class since when I first saw it in 1979.

The original is the best design.

Some of the other Sternbach ships I'd like to see modelled are the just pre-TOS  "Pointer Class Corvette", "Cabot Class Trawler" (they harvest dust clouds), "Klingon Shuttle" and "Canopus Class Science Ship", to name a but a few.

Some of the UNSS fleet would be nice including the original "UNSS Bonneaventure".

Offline KOTH-KieranXC, Ret.

• Spokesman, Punisher Industries
  • Lt. Commander
  • K-Fo, diehard SFCer and Taldrenite, est. 2000
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2007, 04:07:13 pm »
Baton Rouge is a neat design. Very good bridge between Constitution and Daedalus, IMO. I think the Bonaventure is ugly as sin, however... and the design makes no sense when you consider when in the timeline it's supposed to be in. It's nothing but a badly misshapen Constitution. :D
"One minute to space doors."

"Are you just going to walk through them?"

"Calm yourself, Doctor."

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2007, 04:54:41 pm »
The Pointer Class Corvette (pre-TOS) fits in nicely with the Leviathan Class police cutter usied in SFB and available in SFC now too.

Both have the same "drum" hull shape and are about the same size, style and design, so could have been commisioned from the same shipyard, as the Leviathan is also pre-TOS in origin.

The NCC 01 USS Horizon was another favourite, as the first Federation designed cruiser, in competion with the smaller Daedalus Class cruiser. Ironically the "Prototype battlecruiser that was shelved" in the "Space Flight Chronology" is pretty much the Daedalus Class!!

A lot of Trek fans have the Horizon as the NCC 01, hence why the Daedalus enters the registery at either NCC 150 or NCC 170, depending on fanon history views. I tend to go with the majority view of NCC 150 for the Daedalus.

Yep, a Horizon Class would be mice!! :)

Offline USS Mariner

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 12:43:20 pm »
UBER BUMP

I'm back from the proverbial dead. Seeing as I'm already geting back into SFC2, why not actually finish this? ;)

More later.

Offline Hollis J Wood

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2012, 10:40:47 am »
looks good so far