Topic: Twilight  (Read 6794 times)

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
Twilight
« on: June 29, 2007, 05:38:10 pm »
So this is my first story.... got chap 2 started, though how much further beyond that... eh i don't know.  Much thanks to Andy who read my first incarnations of this and provided some awesome feedback.

edit:  This is a bit cleaner version (again thanks andy).  I've adjusted some of the ranks, using Jaeih ranking sytem (it made more sense than mine).  As for romulan words, ranks when spoken are romulan (as with other words which are purely romulan) and yes and no (Ie is yes and Dhat is no... ).  Outside of few other occasions it will be in plain ole (my horrible) english ;)

edit 2:  This one is being left because well... it'll get confusing if i keep overwriting it.  so feel free to compare the two different chapter ones... i think you'll like the differences.

Twilight
By: Robert Dufrane

Chapter 1
[/b]
He stares at himself in the mirror, examining his weary body after a long day of hard labor. His 5 foot 5 figure, which was muscular and fit, looked ragged from the day. Even his Rihannsu blood that was coursing through his veins, burning with vengeance and willing him to stay up and continue his work, was not enough to keep his body going.  His body was in total disagreement with the rest of him, bearing the exhaustion from days of labor.  His cuts and bruises that he had received not more than two days earlier nagged at him, constantly droning away as he ignored them. He began washing his face, carefully cleaning the newly sutured cut upon his high cheek bones that crossed onto his brow.  He thanked the Elements for the deep set eye sockets of his forefathers that had protected his eyes from the blow. Turning, he slowly makes his way to his bed, hoping that sleep might come to him and release him from his woes.

..2 hours later..

It is going to be a restless night he thinks to himself.  It had been a while since he had been  able to get a good nights rest, but this annoyance was slowly becoming a thorn in his side.

Tomorrow I will ask the physician to give me some medication to get me to sleep.

Of course the fact that he had lost several crew members over the past few days on what was supposed to be a simple mission would be a haunting that even the best sleep medications could not ward off.  Glancing around his Spartan room he couldn't help but feel some discomfort.  It was like any other room on any other Rihannsu vessel, but something had changed in the mood and atmosphere.  Something cold had slipped into his home and he wasn't sure what it was or how to remove the unwanted presence.  Surprisingly he felt himself slowly drifting into a slumber with images of the first day of his mission starting to trickle into his head.  As much as he tried to ward them away the images had an unrivaled persistence, forcing its way into his mind.   Looks like my mind wants me to remember… he thinks just before his exhaustion claims his conscious mind.

As his mind's eye opens, he sees himself sitting there in his ready room, holding a conversation with what appears to be a gray hair Rihanha of considerable rank.  Sub-Admiral D’Amaru he says to himself.  As he immerses himself more into this ethereal world, he becomes aware of the conversation taking place around him.

“Riov Rllamenev, it’s a pleasure talking to you again” the Admiral says in overly enthusiastic voice.

He is hiding something, Tus knows

“Ie Erei`Seidhu, though I'm unsure on how much pleasure I should take in this communication.   We both know that there is nothing worth taking pleasure in when you start making calls” Tus' ethereal self says.  I don't quite remember being so rude.  I really should be careful who I try to aggravate.

“Riov, the Empire must call for your service again.  The tasking should be relatively easy even for one such as yourself,” said the Admiral half-insulting.

Yes, I do think I deserved that  he thinks. 

“I’ll be sending further information to you over a secure channel, once you have reviewed it you are to ensure that this file is erased according to the standard security procedures.”

“Ie Erei`Seidhu, receiving the file now,” his ethereal self says.  He quickly skims through the file and notices the rather rosy threat assessment.  “Erei'enriov, should I be expecting any surprises or is that considered too sensitive of material by one such as yourself,” questioned his ethereal self, taking a snide shot at the admiral for the second time in this conversation,

By the elements, I’m going to regret this later

“Dhat Riov, no surprises, this should be a rather uneventful mission,” he replies with a slight smile, barely noticeable and one that to a Rihanha would be taken as sinister.

“Is that all Erei`Seidhu?”

“Ie.  Erei`Seidhu D’Amaru out”

Abruptly his dream switches from one of a simplistic conversation to an intense firefight between two ships hanging in the vast emptiness of space.  His mind takes him inside the ship to a bridge that was in shambles.  Explosions racked the bridge as several console stations blew from the unexpected power surge.  He reaches out to pull a young crewmen out of the way of the blast, but his can’t move, unable to affect changes to this ethereal world, powerless to do anything but watch.  The smoke from the burning consoles was heavy, and noxious smelling.   The bulkheads and hull shook with the intensive barrage.  The groaning of the ship as it rebelled against the onslaught was enough to confirm to Tus as to how bad they were damaged.   

“Report!” he yells as he attempts to make himself heard over the carnage that was taking place around him.

“Riov, we have sustained major damage to the lateral sensor arrays and to the port nacelle, hull integrity down to 60%, hull breaches reported on decks 3 and 4,” replied Sub-Commander N’Embov,  his first officer and most trusted friend, “Shields are at 35% and holding”

“Bring us about, charge torpedoes and prepare to cloak” the Commander barks. We need time to prepare he says to himself, “Fire forward phaser batteries when we are 100,000 km off and launch a Pseudo torpedo”.

It was a gamble and one that needed to work to ensure their survival.  Direct confrontation with a Federation cruiser was not going to work; the ship was simply not powerful enough to do that, though the empire's propaganda often refuted this notion.  It would take cunning and luck to ensure survival. 

His ship, a War Eagle-class cruiser, wheels about as she quickly closes distance with her enemy.  As she approaches, she releases a barrage of energy, lancing out at enemy cruiser and then with its avian grace pulls away releasing the torpedo.  The enemy cruiser returns fire with its charged phaser batteries striking the prominent eagle painted onto the bottom of the war bird. 

Everything is in the hands of the Federation commander.

“Direct hits to the ventricle shielding with minor damage reported, shields holding at 25%” reports N’Embov.

“Status,” Tus says as he turns towards his weapons officer.

“Enemy port shields to 50%. Torpedo is away and tracking nominally, distance is 80,000 km and closing at a rate of 7,500 km/s, impact in 10 seconds,” replied Sub-Centurion Suxen. 

Will he take the bait?

A small shuttle appears from the shuttle bay of the enemy and starts to move off.  The hulking vessel quickly halts itself as it attempts to avoid what should be a devastating assault.  The phony plasma glides through the cold space, seeking its new target, a helpless shuttle.

“Drop a mine and cloak,” Tus barks to his bridge crew, “Take us 200,000 km off of his aft and hold.”

We were lucky

His mind starts to drift more, away from his ship, from the fight.  It races through the vastness of space until it approaches a planet ...ch'Rihan.  His mind dives into the planet racing ever faster towards the surface. It speeds across plains, gliding over rolling hills and finally through a small village, his birth place.  It continues onward until he is at the doorstep to his home.  He sees his wife, his son… his family. 

We must survive, we must get home.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 10:04:30 pm by Tus »
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
Re: Twilight
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 10:30:42 pm »
Not sure how I missed a new story. I try to read everyone's and give SOME feedback.

Been a while since I read anything in present tense. Some don't like it, but it's never bothered me. Even tried to use it once, but kept going back to past tense...

Anyway, I like a Trek story from a non-Fed POV. This one seems to be off to a good start, though it is only bait dangling before a Trek hungry fish. Keep it up, Tus. We'll be here to read 'em.

--thu guv!
'It's a lot of hard work being a mean bastard...' --Captain Eric Finlander, CO USS Bedford (The Bedford Incident)

'Jaken...are you pretending to be dead?' --Lord Sesshomaru, Inuyasha.

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 07:46:14 am »
Man, reminds me of Jaeih's older stuff.  Lots of Duane-inspired Romulan language.  My own personal opinion on that is that, while it's good detail to throw in occasionally, you shouldn't overdo it.  Can make it hard to keep track of who's who and what's what.

Other than that small gripe, it's so far, so good.  Let's see more.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 03:57:20 pm »
Thanks for the comments.  As for the rom language, your dead on where i got the inspiration (that and a suggestion from Andy, and reading some of Jaeih's work).  I had just finished reading the first 3 books in Duane's series when i started rewriting this, so i borrowed some her methods.  I don't think i'm going to go as far as her though, just enough to make sure that reader is aware that its an alien race :).

as for the next chapter, that will have to wait till i go back on leave.  I forgot to bring my external HD which has chapter 2 on it, so thus it is impossible for me to continue atm (though i am more likely to just rewrite the whole bloody thing again... for the 3rd time lol).  Believe it or not that intro has been in my head for at least 2 years, i've started it a few times but i could never could get very far. I guess it just took me a bit to finally sit down and make myself write it out as i saw it play in my head.  I suppose i could blame you guys, i like reading you all's stuff so i guess you all gave me some inspiration that allowed me to finish my first chapter, so thanks :).

now hopefully i can get the next chapter done in some resonable time... and not spend 2 years thinking about it lol ;)
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 06:26:18 pm »
A shorter time period would be great! ;)

thu guv!
'It's a lot of hard work being a mean bastard...' --Captain Eric Finlander, CO USS Bedford (The Bedford Incident)

Offline Czar Mohab

• Faith manages.
  • Lt.
  • Chewie - Go jiggle the handle!
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 07:27:05 am »
A shorter time period would be great! ;)

thu guv!
I concur. I spend 5 years with a story stuck in my head. Finally got it written and for the most part posted.

As for the story you have written this far; It has been long since I have read things from a Romulan point of view, and methinks me likes.

Write on!

Czar Mohab
US Navy Veteran - Proud to Serve
Submariners Do It Underwater - Nukes Do It Back Aft - Pride Runs Deep
Have you thanked a Vet lately?

Subaru Owners Do It Horizontally Opposed!
Proud Owner - '08 WRX - '03 Baja - '98 Legacy

Offline Scottish Andy

• First Officer of the Good Ship Kusanagi
  • Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 10:28:02 am »
Welcome to the boards, Tus! Glad to see a new "face" here.

I see some of the suggestions I made in there. :) As the others said, it's a good start. Now all you have to do is keep going!

Looking forward to more.
Come visit me at:  www.Starbase23.net

The Senior Service rocks! Rule, Britannia!

The Doctor: "Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink."
Mickey: "Wot's that?"
The Doctor: "No idea. Just made it up. Didn't want to say 'Magic Door'."
- Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

Offline kadh2000

• Admiral, of course
  • Lt. Junior Grade
    • Kadh's Empire
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 11:39:29 am »
Funny about the Romulan POV Comment.
"The Andromedans," Kadh said, "will never stop coming.  Not until they are all destroyed or we are."

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 10:45:05 pm »
So i've finished up 2 more chapters (woot i'm at a record of 3 ;)... it only took me 4 months... another record) and was wondering if there was anyone out there not too busy who would mind doing some criticing (and maybe some proofreadin).  I don't want to keep pesterin andy, especially when i'm waiting on him to continue with his rom story ;).
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 11:56:41 pm »
Myself and or La'ra would undoubtably proof for ya. I suck with grammar, but I can tell ya what I think at least!

--thu guv!!

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 01:02:29 am »
I suck at proofreading, but nevertheless, second the Guv's comments.
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Scottish Andy

• First Officer of the Good Ship Kusanagi
  • Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 11:27:19 am »
You will always get my full editing attention - usually whether you ask for it or not. ;D
Come visit me at:  www.Starbase23.net

The Senior Service rocks! Rule, Britannia!

The Doctor: "Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink."
Mickey: "Wot's that?"
The Doctor: "No idea. Just made it up. Didn't want to say 'Magic Door'."
- Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

Offline Andromeda

• Queen of Amber
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Absolute Destiny!
    • Andromeda's Invasion
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 11:04:33 pm »
Even his Rihannsu blood  that was coursing through his veins, burning with vengeance and willing him to stay up and continue his work was simply not enough to overcome his exhaustion.
That reads awkward.  How about "Even the Rihannsu blood that was coursing through his veins, burning with vengeance adn willing him to stay up (awake?) and continue his work, was simply not enough to overcome his exhaustion.

the images had an unrivaled persistence, forcing its way into his mind.
  their way

The Rihannsu words are overused.  Just a touch for flavour is all you need.  Never having read those books, the conversation was very confusing to me.  Nice that he knows he's getting himself in trouble when he looks back on it.

empire's propaganda often refuted this notion.
  How about disputed instead?  Nice way to give us the backstory and still leave room for details to come out later as you need them.  I don't mind the present tense either.  As it's rare, you have to get used to it but it doesn't take long.

In the word of some other posters: MORE!!
this sig was eaten by a grue

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 12:20:32 am »
Thanks, I really appreciate getting feedback :).  As for more....  I'm into my last 2.5 weeks before exams, so my time is rather... limited.  Andy was kind enought to proof read my next two chapters, but at this rate it will probably be christmas before i get anything done... arg lol 

Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2008, 10:00:56 pm »
So instead of editing the first post i'm going to leave it as the two should contrast alot and give you an idea of how much work i've put into making this better ;) 

edit:  O ya, i posted the the next two chapters cause A) their done (well thats what i always say) and B) if i don't i'll find something else wrong with them and change something... again (which i have also found out posting doesn't stop me from doing either... but it does slow me down ;))

Twilight
By: Robert Dufrane

Chapter 1

The reflection in the mirror displayed the weariness of his body after a long day of hard labor that consisted of much work repairing his damaged vessel.  Tus was about 5 foot 5 in height, and even though he very fit for his age with a muscular build, he still looked ragged and exhausted.  His green Rihannsu blood could no longer keep the passion for vengeance burning brightly in his core, the only thing that had allowed him to do such arduous labor through his exhaustion.  In essence, there was a discord between what his body expressed in its weariness with that of the dedication of his heart and mind.  He could easily shrug off the cuts and bruises he had received because he was able to block out much of the pain through shear willpower.  Still, it was his body that received these wounds and without rest it would not be able to sustain him in his endeavors.  As he prepared to clean his cuts and bruises, he poured water from the pitcher on his nightstand into the metallic washbasin.  He worked slowly over his face, carefully dabbing at his wounds to clean away the grime of the day’s labor.  He winced briefly as he approached a large gash and took extra time to clean the newly sutured cut that started above his right brow and extended down onto his high cheekbones.  Privately he thanked the elements for the deep-set eye sockets of his forefathers which had protected his right eye from the blow.  He smiled briefly as he looked at his face, pleased with its appearance.  It was an outward expression of how he felt for leading his men into such hardships.  He felt that even now he had much to do in order to be worthy of his title of Captain of this vessel.  He took a long look at his bed and hoped that sleep might come tonight and release him from his woes.

…2 hours later…

It is going to be another restless night he thought to himself.  It had become quite an annoyance not being able to find sleep in the comforts of his room.  An annoyance that now had become a thorn in his side.

Tomorrow I will ask the Doctor to give me some medication so that I may rest.

Of course he knew that it would not be that simple.  His restlessness was something that he had brought onto himself through his own actions.  It struck him funny, for he was always sure of his abilities… always knew the correct course.  Now he couldn’t figure out how he would live with the fact that he had lost so many crew members, some who had served with him for several years, on what was to be a ‘simple mission’.  This haunted him, and he knew that even the best sleep medications would not ease or ward off this feeling.  He would one day have to face his own demons, his own self-doubts, but not today and certainly not tonight.  He had his crew to protect and while he still had the means to do so he would continue until he had succeeded or it brought him death. 

He took the time and briefly glanced around his Spartan room.  It was no different from any other officer’s quarters on the ship, besides being slightly bigger for a Captain, but he felt a discomfort in his room.  The mood and atmosphere had changed so drastically he was unsure if it was his room.  The shadows seemed darker, swallowing up the light in their singular grasp.  The air was stiller, stagnant and unchanging; like death itself.  It was as if something cold had slipped into his home and had taken up permanent residence there and it left him bewildered on how to remove the unwanted presence.  The more he thought about this fact the more he felt exhaustion start to grab him.  His subconscious mind flashed images of the first day of his mission.  He tried to ward them off, exerting as much effort as he could muster from his exhausted mind, but the images kept coming. They forced their way in with such an unrivaled persistence that it felt as thought they were trying to rape his mind.  Looks like something wants to remember, even if I do not… he thought just before exhaustion grabbed him and took claim of his conscious mind.

His mind’s eye opened slowly, revealing to him a familiar figure sitting in his ready room.  The figure was of course he, but the experience was a bit… uncomfortable.  His ethereal self seemed to be conversing with a gray haired Rihanha of considerable rank.  Sub-Admiral D’Amaru he said to himself.  He was further immersed into this ethereal world of what had already come to past and as he further delved in he started to become aware of the conversation that was taking place around him.

“Riov Rllamenev, it’s a pleasure to speak with you again,” the Admiral says in an overly enthusiastic voice,”It has been some time since our last conversation.”

He is hiding something, Tus thought.

“Ie Erei’Seidhu, though I am sure the pleasure is all on your part.  As for me, we both know there is very little to take pleasure in when you start making calls,” Tus’ Ethereal self said.

I don’t quite remember being so…rude.  I really should try to be more careful of who I try to aggravate. He thought as he continued to observe.

“Riov, the Empire must call on your services again,” the Admiral said, seemingly aggravated by the comment that Tus had just made, ”It should be a relatively easy tasking, even for one such as yourself”

Yes, I do think I deserved that, he thought briefly as the conversation pressed forward with both participants unaware of his ghostly presence.

“I’ll be sending you further information over a secure channel.  Once it has been received and reviewed you are to ensure that this file is erased according to standard security procedures.”

Of course Tus would never do that.  He would erase the original as instructed; he saw no sense in letting someone find it on board his vessel.  However, he always stored a copy on his person in a sub-dermal memory implant located in his right forearm.  A safety precaution in case someone was to cross him.

“Ie Erei’Seidhu, receiving the file now” his ethereal self replied.  He watched as the his ethereal image glanced through the file, confirming the same things he had noticed days earlier on the rather rosy threat assessment.  “Erei’Seidhu, should I be expecting any surprises on this mission, or is that something that is classified and far too sensitive for you to be trusted with it,” his ethereal self further inquired, insulting… or at least attempting to insult the Admiral for the second time in this conversation

By the Elements, I’m going to regret this later Tus thought as he was briefly flashed an image of events to follow.

“Dhat Riov, no surprises, this should be a rather uneventful mission,” he replied with slight smile, barely noticeable and one that to a Rihanha would be taken as quite sinister. “That will be all.”

“I live to serve,” he replied, looking disgusted by the knowledge that he was not serving the empire, but some self-centered goal of his superior.

“Erei’Seidhu D’Amaru out” replied the Admiral as the screen winks out.  Tus looked away from the screen and to the other him in the room.  He watched himself mouth what looked to be a prayer

Elements… Protect us, Tus thought, remembering what he had said.

Abruptly his dream switched from a disconcerting conversation to an intense firefight between two ships that hung like ornaments in the vast emptiness of space.  He was forced to watch from a distance as the larger federation vessel raked the shields of his ship with phaser fire, scaring its graceful features.  He tried to gasp as he watched his poor ship being pummeled relentlessly and realized, with a start, that something was wrong.  To his horror his lungs wouldn’t fill with air as he realized he was floating in space.  Fear took hold of him as he tried to escape his situation, frantically looking for an escape.  When all seemed lost, his mind moved him from the cold void to a bridge that was in shambles.  He took a moment to observe his surroundings though it was useless.  It seemed that his mind did not want him to reclaim his wits as explosions erupted around him.  Consoles on several wall panels and stations erupted in a shower of sparks and acrid smoke.  He tried to move, tried to pull the crewman out of the way of the blast but his mind mocked him… he could not affect changes to this ethereal world.  The smoke from the burning consoles mixed with that of the burning flesh.  It was heavy and thick, and the smell made him retch. The ship groaned as it bore the onslaught and it confirmed for Tus as to how bad the damage was.

“Report!” he yelled as he attempted to make himself heard over the carnage that was taking place about him.

“Riov, we have sustained major damage to the lateral sensor arrays and to the port nacelle,” replied Sub-Commander N’Embov, his first officer and most trusted friend.  His face turned grim as he continued, “We have suffered hull breaches on decks 3 and 4, and hull integrity is down to 60% with shields at 35% and holding”

His facial expressions were right for their situation was dire.  Surprised by the enemy, damaged and outgunned it did not seem like there would be much they would be capable of doing to stave off their deaths.  The realization was terrifying, but even so, he felt the same thing as he observed this fight – a surprising calm.  He saw that even amidst a sea of chaos that he emanated a calm that took hold of those around him and kept them from panicking.

“Bring us about, charge the torpedoes and prepare to cloak,” the Commander barked.  We need time to prepare he said to himself, “Prepare to fire forward phaser batteries when we are 100,000 km off and then launch a pseudo torpedo.”

It was a gamble, and one that needed to work so that they could ensure their survival.  Maybe if they had not been surprised and they had been the ones doing the surprising they could have fought off the Federation cruiser in direct confrontation.  Now, it would be impossible, they simply were not powerful enough; no matter what the empire’s propaganda said.  At this point, it would take cunning and luck to ensure survival.

His ship, a War Eagle class cruiser, wheeled about to quickly close distance with her enemy.  Her hull groaned as she accelerated into the turn, threatening to buckle if they pushed it any further.  She dived at her prey, coming in at an oblique to the enemy’s starboard-fore shield.  When she had reached her mark, she released a barrage of energy that lanced out like blue lightning striking the enemy. Then with her avian grace she pulled away like a eagle coming out of a dive and released her torpedo.  The enemy cruiser returned fire, striking at the prominent eagle painted onto the bottom of the war bird.

Everything is in the hands of the Federation Commander… Elements protect us, Tus thought as he continued to watch.

Staring at the view screen he watched as the torpedo floated through space, seemingly taking an eternity to cross the divide that separated it from the target.  As it neared its target, it became increasingly apparent to the enemy that it would strike them even as their ship accelerated away.  Without warning, the enemy lurched to halt as it attempted to avoid a devastating attack from an R-type torpedo.  A small shuttle appeared from the rear of the cruiser, and slowly pulled away.  Their phony plasma was guided to the decoy, passing the Federation vessel with a mere kilometer of space.  The Federation Commander had taken bait and had given them the opportunity to make their stand.

“Drop a mine and cloak,” His ethereal self barked to his bridge crew, “Take us 200,000 km off of his aft and hold.”

We were lucky, he thought as his ship cloaked.

His mind started to drift, this time feeling calmer and more assured of itself.  It moved away from the ship and raced through the vast emptiness of space until it approached a pair of planets locked in an eternal dance around their star.  His mind focused on but one of them… ch’Rihan.  He briefly basked in the light of the hearth worlds’ sun before his mind delved into the planet, racing ever faster toward the surface.  It sped across plains, glided over the rolling hills, and through a small village, his birthplace.  It continued onward until he was at his doorstep.  In front of his home stood his beautiful wife and his young son… his family and his world.   He was reminded of the things dearest to him and to those in his charge.

We must survive, we must get home.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 09:52:27 am by Tus »
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2008, 10:01:36 pm »
Chapter 2

After nearly a week and half of slow, sub-light travel, Tus’ ship, the Avian’s Descent, had made its way into the Neutral Zone.  He glanced around his bridge, giving it a thorough once over.  He noticed how weary his crew looked even they hid it as best they could.  Their week had been very long and had consisted of dodging federation vessels with the result leaving them strained.  Tus quietly thanked the elements for the short respite given to them.  There was still much work that needed to accomplish before they entered Rihannsu space but at least now they would not be worrying about being found by the Federation.  Still, he suspected that their journey would take them against more adversaries and this time it would be their own kin.  He was angry with himself for placing his crew in such danger even if he was incapable of preventing it.  They were in danger because they were hunting him and he doubted very much that they would stop the hunt just because their first attempt had failed.  This fact, if mentioned to soon, would unnecessarily burden the crew.  He needed wait until they were ready for confrontation and then he would explain to them how dire their situation was.  For now, he wished to let them relax and regain their wits.  He just hoped that he would be able to do break this news to them before too much ‘talk’ went around the ship.  It was one thing to squash rumors as they began, but once they took hold it was nearly impossible for the truth to win. 

Their situation was dire but it could have been worse in his view.  Their ship had weathered their fight surprisingly well.  They were still crippled, without warp power or their main computer but  they had managed to restored main power.  It was practically useless without these two systems but it was defiantly a moral booster to see the fruits of their labor.  Matters were made a bit worse with 15% of their ship being uninhabitable due to the hull breaches sustained during the fight.  They did not have the proper materials at hand to repair the breaches and as such they were forced to leave the blast doors down and keep those sections of the ship sealed off.  They had been blessed with a small bit of luck since the areas affected were crew quarters and most of the crew had been at their combat stations  Even if this made for cramped crew arrangement, which took its own toll on morale, they had come out with their hides intact.  Overall, he felt that the repairs to their ship had gone surprisingly well; they were almost a week ahead of schedule.  He owed much of this success to his Chief Engineer.  If it had not been for him, they would have never been able to scavenge the necessary parts from the wreckage of the Federation vessel and integrate them into their own system.  Senior-Centurion S’Hemrien was a sorcerer in many ways when it came to his job.  The warp engines, for example, looked beyond repair thanks to the damaged that they had sustained.  Yet he guaranteed him that they would be online in another week and that they might have limited warp capability in another day.  S’Hemrien was not the kind of man would make such promises without knowing first that he could accomplish the task.

He thought about this as his gaze rested on his engineer.  S’Hemrien was a large burly man and sitting at his bridge station he looked rather odd.  His stature dwarfed the station and Tus thought it made him look very uncomfortable as he worked.  Tus knew him to be a man of action and that he wanted nothing less than to be out of the cramped confinements of the bridge and be down working in engineering where he could be in the thick of things.  Even so, the man understood his duty to his ship and its crew and dealt with his discomfort without as much as a grumble.  Tus knew this to be a part of his heritage and upbringing and was what made him both a great engineer and a man who Tus did not want to cross.  When they had first met over fifteen years ago, Tus had suspected him to be of Ship-Clan heritage.  He had made the mistake then was to pry into his past too soon.  When confronted with his suspicions, S’Hemrien  he confirmed his heritage standing proud as he did but not without inquiring further to why Tus had wanted to know.  His curiosity and his own views had nearly cost him a fine engineer, who had been right reminding him that how he did his job, not his heritage, which mattered.  Thankfully, they had since reconciled their differences of birth and had become close friends.  He felt that he had the best man to get his ship back up and running, and for that he considered himself lucky.

Tus slipped further into thought, letting his mind escape briefly from his situation.  Thinking about the engineer had struck home reminding him of his own heritage, a noble by blood… even if it was of lesser house.  It was something that he had wrestled with as he observed other nobles with their greed and lust for power.  It seemed opposite to how a person should live, opposite of what his father had raised him to be.  His father had been a man of the old ways, a man of character, of honor and integrity.  He had admired his courage and resolve to stick to his core values even as the world about him changed.  It was something that he continued to try to emulate in his life and in his command.  He struggled daily but living up to those ideals was worth the any amount effort.  His father had told him once, shortly before his death, that honor was not simply doing the right thing when no one was looking.  No, it was more than that; it was doing the right thing when the outcome of your actions was already known.  When he had told him this as a boy he had not been able to comprehend what he meant.  It took his father’s assassination to create an inkling of understanding in him.  He died because he would not cast aside his principles. He was sure that his father knew that defying men of power would lead to his own downfall, but had held firm.  Granted, it had looked like a simple flitter accident, but he had known that things are rarely as simple as they appeared.  It had been forty-five years since his father’s death but his example had kept Tus on the right path. 

“Erein T’Evien, what is the current estimate until we emerge into Rihannsu space?” Tus inquired, as he broke the silence that had only been filled by the casual beeps of equipment and the low hum of the vessel’s engines.  He was not interested in the time; he already knew it would take a little over four years with out warp power.  He wanted to break the unnerving silence that had encompassed his bridge so thoroughly.

“Riov, at our current speed, which is .25c, we are 1,461 days from Rihannsu space,” she said with her matter-of-factly tone.  Her arrogance amused Tus, reminding him much of how he had acted in his younger years.  Arrogance was sometimes a good thing, however in cases such as this one it created issues and Tus scolded himself for not having dealt five weeks ago.  He had been too easy on her, unintentionally for sure, but being busy was no excuse for letting issues like this slide.  In any case, the issue would have to be addressed soon, or she would end her career… if she had a career left when they got home… before it really started.  He suspected that much of this ‘arrogance’ was merely her way of showing that she did not trust him.  It took time for Clanners to trust someone who had been born and raised on the hearth worlds.  It seemed his heritage was enough for her to stereotype him into that group of people, who spent their lives, in his opinion, in pursuit of meaningless drivel.  He only hoped that it would not take her too much longer to realize that he was not that stereotypical noble that she took him for.  Even with these issues, Tus was always impressed that she answered his questions with out a moment’s hesitation.  It was probably her nature to keep track of everything that was going on around her and anticipate.

Tus began feeling uncomfortable, something he attributed to being firmly planted in his seat. The longer he stayed in that chair, the more restless he grew.  With that in mind, he stood up and made his way towards his first officer who was still tinkering at his science station attempting to make the contemptible computer work.  With only the secondary computer operational they could do little more than navigate and maintain life support.  Even for these tasks, tasks it was specifically designed for, it was far too sluggish for his liking.  It further complicated things as it could do little more with out much effort on their part.  Tus admired his friend’s resolve, with the knowledge that he would get the main computer back online, through exhaustion or until he was forcibly removed from his station.

“N’Embov, how is the work going?” Tus asked, with a touch of curiosity and concern.

“Slow, Dhivel,” N’Embov replied, letting out an exasperated breath, “It is like putting a puzzle together but after some of the pieces had been chewed on a bit by a mischievous child to the point that they no longer fit correctly.”  Tus watched his friend carefully as he observed the minute changes in his demeanor.  N’Embov had tensed up considerably when he had started talking to him.  It even looked as though he had almost forced himself to use his nickname from their childhood in order to hide his discomfort.

“Is everything well with you?” he asked, with an increased concern for his friend’s mental state than that of the machine he had made his initial inquiry about.

“Yes, I’m well, I’m just exhausted.  If I were a Hlae I would be a bit overcooked,” he replied as he relaxed marginally. 

“I understand, you have been up for nearly 36 hours, you really should take a break before you start making mistakes,” he suggested, trying to urge his friend to make the right decision.

“I’m fine, Riov”, he replied defensively, with an irritation in his tone. 

“Consider it an order then, erei’Riov.  I can’t have one of my best officer incapacitated because he worked himself to exhaustion,” he said sternly, more so than he had intended, “Fill in erein T’Evien of your progress and get some rest.”

“Ie Riov,” N’Embov replied grudgingly.

“Don’t worry, the task will be done soon enough N’Embov,” Tus said, trying to comfort his friend after his sharp rebuke.  The comment seemed to put his friend more at ease, but still he wondered what would make him this tense.  Tus found it odd for his friend to be like this, even in their present situation.  He was normally that stoic figure that little ever bothered.  To further his confusion there seemed to be a barrier forming between them.  He worried about the inner conflict that was taking place within his friend, and only hoped that he would let him help him before it was too late.  Tus watched as N’Embov quickly filled in T’Evien on his progress.  He caught a glimpse of an erein who had just come on the bridge to fill in T’Evien’s position and briefly wondered how they always seemed to show up the second someone left their station.  As he continued to watch his friend leave, Tus thought about how exhausted he was and how long it had been since his last restless night of sleep.

I really should take my own advice and get some rest as well, he thought.

“Enarrain S’Hamrien, you have the bridge,” he said as he made his way to the turbo-lift.

Tus made his way toward the infirmary to make a visit to T’maekh.  He had been trying unsuccessfully for several nights to get rest; it was time to get some help.  The ships doctor was a man of humble origins, being born on one of the outer colonies.  His family had later moved to the hearth worlds to provide him with a better education, his parents saving all their money to put him through school.  This made them rather unimportant people, with not enough land or money to influence but enough not to be tempted by others offers, something that Tus felt the doctor took advantage of at every opportunity.  He enjoyed conversing with him; it was enjoyable to be able to talk freely with someone and not feel the need to guard what one was saying.  The enjoyment came in knowing that T’maekh’s opinion was an honest one.  They would argue the ethical and moral issues that were waging there way through out the empire… as well as those of other races.  It provided a refreshing perspective, one that Tus had grown to trust.  As a physician, he knew of no one else who met his skill, treating wounds with such a precise hand that it seemed as though no one in his care could die.  In the end, some things were better left in the hands of the elements and their infinite wisdom.  He liked to think that the doctor would have gladly wrestled death itself if it meant saving just one more life.

When he arrived at the infirmary, he took a moment to glance around, observing the injured men and women the staff attended to.  A surge of anger welled up inside of him that forced him to silently curse himself for not protecting them better.  He made rounds to each bed and tried to comfort his crewmembers to the best of his ability.  This ritual of visiting the sick and injured had developed over the past few days so that he could play some small part in helping them recover.  Some of the injured included those who had been burned so badly that they could hardly be recognized as a Rihanha.  He knew that these unlucky few would not survive this trip; he only hoped that their suffering would not be protracted out any longer than needed.  A few of the luckier ones had been spaced briefly before the emergency bulkheads came down and would survive.  They would suffer the bends and might lose a finger or two to frostbite, but it was a far better fate than having your body ravaged by flames.  He was comforted with the fact that these ones wouldn’t require a funeral.

“Riov, you are early today, what is the occasion?’ questioned T’maekh, with a rather thick accent.

“Ie T’maekh, I’m tired and I want sleep to take me,” he replied, letting his composure break briefly, “But if I can’t have that, I’ll have some of your sleeping medication instead.”

“Riov, you will have rest as soon as you are willing to confront your own demons,” he said, reading his captain carefully, “I can…”

“Doctor, I appreciate your care for my mental state, but I assure you I am fine,” Tus said, cutting off the doctor abruptly before he could scold him further.  The statement did not come out as confident as he had liked, mainly because the fact was he was not fine at all.  It was just that his troubles were far smaller and less important that those of his crew so he kept them private.

“I would like to have some sleeping medication, that is all for today.  Tomorrow we can have a nice long discussion on the importance of listening to your doctor,” Tus said, with a sheepish grin.

“Riov, one of these days you will have to confront them or they will destroy you, “he replied as he handed Tus two pills.  Taking the pills Tus quickly made his way to his room where he hoped he would wake up later well rested.

With her commander gone, Llaiir T’Evien finally felt at ease on the bridge.  She was still uncomfortable having nobles around, especially when those nobles were her superiors.  She thought that she did a good job hiding her discomfort from everyone else, proud of the fact that her outer appearance betrayed little of what she was feeling.  Captain Rllamenev seemed to be a competent commander, though he was quite reserved in her opinion.  She had watched the recording of their battle several times in the days following it, trying to comprehend how they survived.  The crew had performed far above what anyone expected, and she was even shocked at some of the maneuvers she managed to pull off during that fight, some of which she doubted she would ever be able to duplicate again.  What she found interesting most of all was her Captains demeanor through the whole thing.  Even at the worst points in their fight, where their live hung on by but a single thread, he had remained cool and calm. So much so you would have thought he was enjoying a warm spring day.  It had a great effect on those around him, keeping them focused and on track even if they were terrified.  She started to realize how much a good leader can affect those in they command, motivating them beyond what they would think they were capable of.  More than that though, when a leader legitimately cared for those they commanded, as it appeared her captain did, it created respect even in the most unlikely people.  She could not understand why a noble would care so much for people that were just tools for them, but it seemed as though he would not fit her perceptions of nobles.  In any case, she felt she could grudgingly respect the man.

Lost in her own thought she continued her work on the burnt out circuitry, rerouting pathways around burnt out connection and generally fixing what N’Embov had messed up.  She agreed with her captain on this point, the man was so tired he was making mistakes left and right.  It was little wonder that the computer remained offline and she thought that it would take her hours to correct most of his mistakes before she could make any real headway on the computer itself.  As she continued, lost in her work, S’Hamrien walked over. 

“Erein T’Evien, how is the work going?” he asked with a deep grumbling voice that seemed more likely to shake apart her work than to convey his words.

“Well Enarrain.  The Riov was right, erei`Riov N’Embov was exhausted,” she said, motioning to S’Hamrien to look at the board she was working on, “I’m not sure how he got as far as he did making all these mistakes.”

“He made the right call relieving him and then relieving himself,” he said “neither looked like the would be capable of doing much more in there current state”

She noticed that S’Hamrien had a deep respect for the captain.  It seemed odd that someone with a background so similar to her own would trust someone who was a noble.  She thought that she must have made a funny look when he spoke again.

“T’Evien, you look puzzled.  What is on your mind?” he asked her.

“Enarrain, why do you trust him,” she blurted out, shocked at her brief loss of control.  S’Hamrien did not seem to mind and gave a small smile as he sat down to work on the computer as well.

“It is simple really,” He said tinkering with the boards, “it is because he earned it from me.  He didn’t save my life or do something extraordinary to get it either.  It was in the way he carried himself and how he talked to you that slowly eroded the layers of distrust that you had built up over the years.”  She looked at him intently as he spoke, trying to gain understanding about the man.  She wanted to know more, why an old engineer would trust this man with his life.

“It was his integrity most of all that won me over as a friend,” he said, his tone now reflecting the respect he had for this man, “There was never any disconnect between what he told you  verbally and what his actions told you.  He has always gone above and beyond to keep his word to his people and more so to make sure he doesn’t wrong someone with baseless prejudices.”  The last part struck out at her, as if he had read her thoughts earlier and was now telling her how she had been wrong.  He continued and never looked up from his work, tinkering away with an ease that only an experienced engineer would have.

“T’Evien, it would be wise if you did as I did and stopped judging the man based solely on his heritage and instead focused on the man himself and let his actions sway you,” he said as he got up from his work. 

Now I am sure he is a telepath she mused to herself. 

She knew, though, that he was speaking from experience, and that he wanted the best for her.  It seemed that listening to him and trying to take what was good advice would be a wise course of action, even if it went against her instincts to do so.

The rest of the shift went by quickly as she worked and toiled to make the computer work.  She had interruptions, but they were so few that she was completely lost in her work and had not even realized that she had been there for over 7 hours.  She looked around briefly trying to find something else to fix before she realized that she had finished work on the last board.  She inserted it into the console station and with a slight click and low hum the computer was brought back to life.

“Enarrain S’Hamrien, the main computer is back online, starting diagnostic sequence,” she said with an enthusiastic hint in her voice and took a seat at the console station.

She slowly began to sift her way through the information coming across the computer screen.  She admitted to herself that she had been excited when her commander had assigned her to the computer repairs.  She had seen things during the fight that did not add up and she wanted to get into the sensor data to put her suspicions to rest… or confirm them.  Whichever it was she didn’t care as long as she had some answers.  It took the computer a few minutes to finish its diagnostic sequence.  When it finished she first calmed herself before going about task of deciphering the sensor data that lead up to the fight.  With so much data to go through, she found it hard to examine it as a whole piece so she resigned herself to breaking it into segments and then look for those bits and pieces that would help her solve her puzzle.  It took her almost an hour to find that one piece that gave her the solution.  She pulled back slightly from the screen because the nature of the result startled her slightly before it ignited anger from within her being.  The conclusion was nestled firmly in her mind and confirmed her suspicions that there was something much bigger going on than what she had been led to believe.  She had suspected that their position had been given away based solely on the ease the federation vessel had in tracking them.  It had not been until a lucky shot to their sensor array that their cloak could be used to full effect.  She finally knew with a grim certainty that someone had started a radiation leak into space.  It was a very small, almost untraceable unless you knew what you were looking for.  It would most certainly allow someone to track them even while cloaked.  Worse, whoever had tried to sabotage their ship had instigated a subspace pulse 30 minutes before the attack.  Whether it was to alert the federation vessel or to communicate with the architect of this plan she could not tell.  All she knew was that if they could not find the saboteurs that their problems would only be getting worse.
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2008, 10:02:31 pm »
Last finished chapter.  Chap 4 is done in the sense it can pick up from this one leaves off but.... ya it needs more fleshin out.

Chapter 3

The day had barely begun and he was already feeling the stresses of command.  He was used to having these stresses build up over the day but he could never get used to waking up and having them drop on you before the day had even begun.  It was not so much that the ship was still in need of repairs, something that thankfully was going smoothly.  These tasks were easy enough to deal with because they were at least somewhat related to their normal everyday duties.  It was the other things that their jobs entailed that caused hardships and burdens.  For the most part everyone yearned for an honorable fight, something to test his or her mettle.  It was what to do afterwards that caused all the problems.  He guessed that like most the people he served with they had signed up for the adventure or out of a sense of duty.  Those who did not he tried to weed out of his crew.  They had inadvertently pushed aside the more dreaded parts of their duty and relegated them to the back of their minds.  Therefore, when these duties showed up it usually came with a startle when they finally realized the importance of them.  One of which was the funeral detail, something that he dreaded.

He stood in the launch room dressed in his finest uniform, saber and all.  The uniform that he wore was rarely used on fleet duty but one that he felt fit this somber occasion.  Overall, he had lost 23 crewmembers in their gallant fight.  It still angered him that he had caused their deaths, but now he focused more on what he would do to avenge them.  He convinced him self that they were honor bound to fulfill their orders, though he wished he had disobeyed just this once.  He knew that doing so would have far worse repercussions than losing their lives and he felt comforted with that knowledge in his decision to cross the border.  Even though they had suffered loss on their parts, he felt a small bit of satisfaction in the knowledge that they had beaten the odds and come out victorious.  He further hardened his resolve to return to the empire and right the wrongs that had been committed against him and his crew.  He heard a silence fall over the room as people took their places and the shuffling of feet stopped.

“For the honored dead we have gathered here, to mourn their loss,” Tus said, “but more than that we gather here to honor the memory of their lives, of their gifts and of their sacrifices that they made for their crew.”

He briefly paused to think of what it was for that these men had sacrificed their lives.  Some were so young that it seemed a dishonor for their lives to be cut short.  They had willingly given up their lives for their comrades but ultimately they had died because of a vendetta against him.  For that, he felt sure that he would never be able to forgive himself.  He felt as though his honor was now tarnished in bringing about their deaths.  He swore silently to himself, I swear by the elements, by earth, by fire, by air and by water, that their deaths will be avenged!  By my life do I promise this.

“Remember them, remember their lives, and remember them like brothers.  For this day they are our brothers for they have spilt their blood with us and ultimately paid the price for our lives with that very blood.  They did so because they were committed to their duty to each of us and we are bound by our honor to remember their lives and their sacrifices.” He said, covering up the emotion he was feeling the best he could.

“We commit these souls to the hands of the elements to guide them on their journey to Vorta Vor.” He finished, feeling that his words paled in comparison to their sacrifice.

With that, the coffins that entombed these honored crewmembers began to slowly move forward.  There were only eight but it was a cruel reminder that he would have to perform more services today.  The duties of a commander required it, but his honor demanded it of him.  Slowly a few notes of song lifted through the air and fell upon his ears.  The somber melody hit him, striking at his very heart threatening to break his stone like composure that was already teetering on the precipice.  The melody could be equated to what the Earthers called “taps”, a tradition that seemed to cross the boundaries of all races.  Quickly he pushed the thought from his mind lest he burden it with more thoughts of needless death that had accompanied this ‘mission’.

The coffins approached each man in the detail, and with slow deliberate movements, they raised their sabers extending them upward and outward such that it created an archway of shining metal.  He watched as the first coffin entered the launch tube, rolling slowly in.   The doors closed slowly behind the coffin and when they shut completely he heard a soft thud as they launched into the cold vastness of space.  It saddened him that they had to die so far from home, so far from their loved ones.  His only comfort was that what they had given up for one family had been recreated in the family they made on board this vessel.  A few more gentle thuds later and the task was done.
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 02:36:56 pm »
Finally got back around to working on this... go figure a year o so later...

Chapter 4

The funeral services had emothionally drained Tus and left him with little energy to do much else.  With the services behind him he had hoped that he might have a few minutes of respite.  However, it seemed that things were conspiring against him because as soon as the last service was finished he received a message from his Chief Engineer that he was needed for a staff meeting.  He was curious as to what would be so important to get his engineer to move up the meeting 4 hours, 4 hours that he had intended to use to rest.  His first thought was that something had happened to the warp engines, that somehow they would not be able to come back online.  He thought this to be unlikely, at least based on his own engineering experience.  That and the urgency of the message made him think that there was something else was going on.

No, it’s not that. He thought when a stray thought with heavy consquences crossed his mind.

In the back of his mind, in a place buried deep in a darkness that he dared not enter resided what he knew to be the truth.  It is just my nerve he tried to convince himself with little success.  To his mind it was just another attempt at denial, another attempt to repress things that he needed to deal with.  After he had exhausted most avenues of thought he was faced with the fact that he had been wrong, that he had let something slip past him in the heat of battle.

Sabotage he admitted to himself.

Tus entered the room and was immediately hit by the tension in the air.  Everyone looked uncomfortable, but as his eyes met with those of his Chief and Helmsman he could see fear and anger.  Their body language gave little away of what they were feeling, but he knew that the eyes never lied. 

“Let’s begin,” he said as he took his seat at the head of the table.  As he pulled his chair forward he realized that wasn’t tension he felt but a new chill in the air that was stifling emotions and draining the energy of all those present.  Whatever it was it troubled them immensely.

“Riov, I will begin with today’s engineering report,” replied S’Hamrien, “We are currently 90% operational and have limited warp capability.  Most of the hull breaches have been sealed, though decks 3 and 4, sections 10-15 are uninhabitable.  Also, as of 0120 this morning the Main computer was brought back online.”

“Very good,” Tus commented as he tried to remove some of the chill from the room with a little good spirit, “S’Hamrien, you mentioned limited, what are we capable of?”

“Warp 3.5 for now Riov.  We hope to have warp 8 in a seven day span, five days if we stay off the engines for a bit longer,” he replied.

He pondered on the new data he had just been given.  At warp they could at least be out of the neutral zone and back into the empire.  That gave them better chance of survival instead of running the chance of being found in the neutral zone in their current state which would almost certainly spell death for them.  Things in the Empire wouldn’t be much easier, but at least there they might find some allies.  Neither option was all that compelling.

“Let us go to warp 1 for the time being and work our way up to warp 3 over the next few hours, no sense in breaking something we just fixed.” Tus said, “I would much rather be getting on our way out of this wretched piece of space now.  Knowing that this will cause some delay in repairs I want you to focus on getting us warp 5.5 over the next 16 hours.”

S’Hamrien looked irritated by the statement.  Tus suspected he would rather get the job done right rather then try and make repairs while they are underway.

“S’Hamrien, do you have anything you wish to add?” Tus inquired.

“Dhat Riov,” He forced out.

“Good, erei’arrain Suxen do you have any updates on the status of the R-Type launcher?” he asked.

“Ei Riov.  I was able to scavenge parts from the port F-type launcher.  That launcher’s containment coils were fused to the hull and will require a space dock to repair.” He stated, “Using those parts I was able to get the R launcher repaired, however it will need some testing so that we can ensure that parts we used can handle the larger load as well as produce and sustain an R-type torpedo.”

“Good, when we are in Rihanh space we will make for an uninhabited dwarf system and find you some rocks to melt,” Tus replied with an eagerness to find out if his ship would finally have some of its teeth back, “ erein Llunih, please take care of finding us a place to have a little fun with out being noticed.”

“Ei Riov, There is an unihabitated system about 6 light years from our current position.  It should be relatively secluded and safe if we aren't being followed. ,” she replied in her matter-of-factly tone.

Tus was so far pleased with the news, but it didn’t seem to help anyone’s disposition.  He suspected that his hunches were right.

“S’Hamrien, I know the daily updates wasn’t the reason you moved this meeting up four hours, so if you could please go ahead and tell us the news.” He said with some trepidation and irritation in his tone.

At the mention of S’Hamrien’s news the room felt like it somehow actually got colder than it was before.  Tus took a breath but kept his composure as he waited for the news.

“At 0120 this morning, erein T’Evien brought the main computer back to operational status,’ he started cautiously, “upon booting she ran a system diagnostic and found….”
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 02:38:33 pm »
Wrote this one out last night, and did the proofreading... so if anything slipped through that is funky grammar and spellin wise, sorry

Chapter 5

The night was cold and was silent but for the drops of rain hitting the ground around him.  Nights like these were meant for the whispers of sedition and the laying of plans for a new order he thought as moved down the path.

He quickly made his way from the flitter to the country side mansion, where he was to meet Mistress Ka'alte for their meeting.  The mansion itself was huge, easily the largest feature in a several kilometer radius.  Though like most Rihanh architecture, it did not take away from the landscape, but added through its shape.  It was an impressive house indeed.  As he made his way to the door along the winding sidewalk he couldn't help but think that beauty was always dangerous.  Much like the flowers that grew along the path, beautiful, but if you were pricked by one of it thorns you would surely fall dead in moments.

"Welcome to the s'Hein estate, Erei’Seidhu D’Amaru", the doorman said as opened the door, "Mistress Ka'alte wishes to talk with you inside as soon as your available sir."

The admiral shot a glance at the servant, and proceeded inside. These servants might be finely dressed, he thought, but they are still just peasants, unworthy to talk to a noble or even make eye contact.

The main hall was filled with nobles, talking and dancing while orchestral music floated through the lofty ceilings.  Parties were another thing made for sedition he thought. 

The Admiral made his way through the crowd, greeting and mingling as he went.  He glanced around until he found her, Mistress Ka'alte, overlooking the ball from an upper level with two large stairwells leading up from both sides, wrapping around forming an ellipse. 

"Mistress Ka'alte," he said as he came to her side," as always, it is a pleasure to see such a beauty as you."

"Thank you, Erei’Seidhu." She replied," What do you think of this party?"

"It is quite nice.  Its a shame, though, that it couldn't happen in the Autumn Dusk" he said passing the code phrase as he turned his gaze to meet hers.

"Yes, it is a shame," she replied as she reached to take the the Admirals hand," Shall we join the others in a dance?"

"Lets," replied the Admiral.

With a quick flick of her wrist, the band started playing a slow waltz. Initially they just danced, as they effortlessly made their way about the floor, flitting  in and about the crowd that formed with couples slowly dancing.  They danced their way to a more secluded spot, where he assumed that the cameras and surveillance in the building could not see.  They didn't need to worry about people finding them moving off suspicious, the lady was known for her eccentric nature and a tendency to take off in the middle of her own parties to bed a man. 

She leaned in during a crescendo in the music and whispered in his ear "Twilight is upon us."  Locking their gaze once again, she motioned him towards a secluded passage where they ended their dance.  The corridor was long and dark, probably a relic from an older time when a quick escape would be needed.  Now it would serve their purposes for planning.  They finally entered a dimly lit room at the end of the corridor, and inside found a long dark table.  Around it were four monitors, all displaying dark silhouettes - their coconspirators that wished to remain anonymous. He knew that there were two senators, another admiral further up the chain, and a very wealthy benefactor.  As he entered the room he took a seat at the right side of the head of the table, and watched as Ka'alte walked around the room giving her speech.

"Twilight is nearly upon us," Ka'alte started, " and it is time that we cast off the old ways and claim what is ours.  This government for too long has let other races direct the course of our lives.  It has conceded to much to our enemies in the name of peace and no longer serves our interests.  In order for our empire to grow and to benefit us the old order must fall"

"Over a week ago we put into action operation Twilight.  Six warbirds were sent to the border and destroyed by federation starships.  We shall use the destruction of these ships as our rallying cry, making them martyrs for our cause.  Thankfully, these were individuals that would have stood in our way, so their deaths have helped us in a cruel twist of fate." she said with a chuckle.

"The time for our action is nearly upon us," she said as she took her seat at the head of the table," So let us begin our preparations."

"A fine speech my lady," said the first shadowy figure," but what confirmation do we have that these ships have been destroyed."

"We have confirmation from five of our six operatives," replied the admiral," The last operative from the Avian's Descent has yet to check in, but we are confident that the ship has been destroyed."

"You are sure, how?" replied the figure.

The admiral tapped his screen and displayed a scan that had been transmitted 30 minutes before the battle.  "This was a transmission that our operative sent us shorty before we lost contact.  The Avian's descent went up against a constitution class starship - a federation ship that was more than a match for her."

"But you haven't confirmed her destruction?!  What if it hasn't been destroyed, what if they survived and learn that they have been betrayed?" Replied the first shadow.

The second shadowy figure chimed in, " If it hasn't been destroyed then we must stop this before we are found out and then kill you Erei’Seidhu so that we can't be traced.  We must..."

"Enough!" Shouted Ka'alte," We all know the dangers of what we are doing, and we all expected for things to run with a few bumps.  This is one of those bumps.  But we have come too far now to stop, we must stay the course and complete this operation.  Now the Erei’Seidhu assures me that they have been destroyed, and if that is what he says, then that is what has happened."

"The lady is right, there was no chance they could have survived," he added," the lack of communication only confirms that things are going in accordance to our plan."

"But you can't confirm...  But what of our long range sensor outposts, surely they recorded the battle?" the third figure asked.

"We all know that is not the case.  In order for this plan to work, those outposts had to be temporarily blinded to the battles so that people would assume that these were unprovoked federation attacks." he said," That our outposts were blinded as part of a preemptive strike."

"Even now as we speak the fleet is moving in to check these posts, and will confirm that our ships were destroyed." he said, "Even so, the systems have come back online, and we can confirm that there is a debris field and that they didn't escape."

"If the Erei’Seidhu believes all is well then let us proceed," said the final face, " The senate will have to act, and if they don't these fallen Rihannsu will become martyrs for our cause."

"How long until the fleet gets reports of the destruction of these ships? " Asked the first shadow.

"At warp 8, we estimate it will take them 6 days to reach the outposts.  From there they will investigate the loss of those ships, all of this should take about 10-12 days," the Admiral said, "All in all we expect the senate will take action with in a week to two weeks."

"What is to stop the federation from interfering?" Said the third face.

"With the destruction of the ships and the blinding of our outposts all diplomacy will be cut with the federation," replied Ka'alte with a sly smile, "I will ensure that."

"When the senate hears of this we will act, and remold this empire!" She said, "Prepare yourselves gentlemen, the time is nearly upon us."

With that the consoles went dark. 

"Erei’Seidhu, your assurances might be able to assuage their fears, but we both know that Riov Rllamenev is a much better ship captain than you give him credit for. He could have survived that attack." she said, " Not only that, but it wasn't just romulan debris that our sensors detected, but federation and a lot of it.  You will ensure that he is dead, and failing that you will take his place." 

Her eyes fixed on him with a piercing stare and that combined with the fire in her voice sent a shiver down his spine.  This was a woman on a mission, no, a holy campaign.  Such people were unpredictable and not to be underestimated.  She was much like the flowers along the path to this house, beautiful and deadly.

"I will take my ship at once, my Lady, and make sure he is dead," he replied.

He turned around and headed out.  Tus was either dead, or going to be dead - either way he was going to ensure that this was the last time that man would ever get in his way.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 01:07:34 am by Tus-XC »
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Andromeda

• Queen of Amber
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Absolute Destiny!
    • Andromeda's Invasion
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 01:03:22 pm »
I gave up on this after the first chapter.  The rewrite and the additional chapters show me how wrong I was.  I'm looking forward to the rest.
this sig was eaten by a grue