Topic: Swag!  (Read 6958 times)

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
Swag!
« on: July 12, 2007, 01:23:16 pm »
Had the idea for this one long ago...finally wrote it... ;D

-----------------------

Swag!

The Hiv'laposh's cargo bay was stuffed to the gills.  La'ra surveyed the bounty with a smile.

"It's been a good day."  He declared.

"Indeed."  Ran'jar replied.  The First stood beside his Commander.

Inside information had led the Hiv'laposh to a Zakdorn smuggler who made his living sneaking Federation luxuries into Klingon space.  The items themselves were legal; The Empire rarely saw fit to regulate pleasures and vices.  Dodging the sky-high tariffs that restricted trade with the UFP...that was frowned upon.

"Took forever to get everything arranged."  The cargomaster mumbled.

"And yet, you managed." Ran'jar snorted. 

The cargo handler ignored the first in his usual manner.  He was a warrant officer, around the same age as La'ra.  His eyes betrayed intelligence and a total lack of guile.

"Yes, we did.  I don't think the load will effect our acceleration too much, and I had some ideas I wanted to go over with the engineer about..."

"Anything interesting?"  La'ra interrupted. 

The cargo handler blinked.  His ideas for efficient cargo management were many and varied, but opportunities to show off his treasures were rare.

“Oh yes.”  He began, gesturing to various items like a tour guide.  “Liquor from at least three different worlds...spices, though I haven’t identified most of them yet...even some furniture, though it’s a little ornate...and then there’s this thing...”

The loadmaster indicated a table.  It clearly wasn’t meant to hold up plates, though, judging by the electronics that were an integral part of it.

“What is it?”  Ran’jar asked.

“Some sort of game.”  The cargomaster replied.  “Look.”

The warrant officer opened a couple of panels, pulled out some cords.  He attached the cords to his fingers.  A hologram of some kind appeared above the center of the device; a gridlike playing field, with little armies of red and blue squares on either side.

La’ra watched as the blue army, obviously following the cargomaster’s direction, began to advance against the red.  The red side responded, in usual gamelike fashion; quickly, but along standard lines.

Ran’jar grunted, stepped over to the machine.  He slid the control interface onto his fingers.

Now facing another Klingon, the cargomaster’s brow furrowed in concentration. Blue’s advance was halted by a red counterstroke, which was in turn delayed by a valiant blue flanking assault.  There was a certain random clumsiness to the action

“Do either of you have any idea what you’re doing?”  La’ra asked.

“No...”  declared Ran’jar.  Red stood fast against the flanking assault, cut off blue’s retreat.  The blue squares tried to consolidate on their side of the board and sweat beaded the cargo handler’s brow.

The First’s face twisted into an evil smile.

“...but I’m winning.”

End
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."
                                                                 ---------Rod Serling, The Last Flight

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
Re: Swag!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 04:24:42 pm »
Brilliant little gem  :D
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 11:48:48 pm »
Hehehehehehehe.......

-rog
'It's a lot of hard work being a mean bastard...' --Captain Eric Finlander, CO USS Bedford (The Bedford Incident)

'Jaken...are you pretending to be dead?' --Lord Sesshomaru, Inuyasha.

Offline Czar Mohab

• Faith manages.
  • Lt.
  • Chewie - Go jiggle the handle!
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 07:09:04 pm »
I kinda want one of those now...

Czar "Brilliant!" Mohab
US Navy Veteran - Proud to Serve
Submariners Do It Underwater - Nukes Do It Back Aft - Pride Runs Deep
Have you thanked a Vet lately?

Subaru Owners Do It Horizontally Opposed!
Proud Owner - '08 WRX - '03 Baja - '98 Legacy

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 02:53:32 pm »
Thanks guys.  For informational purposes, this was brainstormed, like a thousand thousand other things that'll probably never be written down, by me and the Guv, late at night at my mother's house, while watching...erm...was it Robot Chicken? ;D
"Dialogue from a play, Hamlet to Horatio: 'There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Dialogue from a play written long before men took to the sky. There are more things in heaven and earth, and in the sky, than perhaps can be dreamt of. And somewhere in between heaven, the sky, the earth, lies the Twilight Zone."

Offline Lara

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 01:09:09 am »
I love it

Offline Scottish Andy

• First Officer of the Good Ship Kusanagi
  • Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 10:25:28 am »
That's pretty good, and pretty funny. :D
Come visit me at:  www.Starbase23.net

The Senior Service rocks! Rule, Britannia!

The Doctor: "Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink."
Mickey: "Wot's that?"
The Doctor: "No idea. Just made it up. Didn't want to say 'Magic Door'."
- Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 10:16:40 pm »
Not sure what we were watchin'... Never can tell with us.

--thu guv!
'It's a lot of hard work being a mean bastard...' --Captain Eric Finlander, CO USS Bedford (The Bedford Incident)

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 01:44:22 pm »
True, true...though chances are it was either:

A:  Obscene.
B:  Violent.
C:  Funny.

or

D:  All of the Above.

Offline KOTH-KieranXC, Ret.

• Spokesman, Punisher Industries
  • Lt. Commander
  • K-Fo, diehard SFCer and Taldrenite, est. 2000
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 09:03:33 pm »
Sounds like Stratagema, actually, from the TNG episode "Peak Performance".

And if stuff like this is the product of your brainstorming sessions... I might have to drop by sometime. ;D
"One minute to space doors."

"Are you just going to walk through them?"

"Calm yourself, Doctor."

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 10:20:02 pm »
Welcome anytime.

--guv!

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 10:27:53 pm »
The funny thing is, I don't think you guys are that far away from me, either. IIRC from my conversations with Larry, you're down somewhere in Arkansas, and I split my time between St. Louis in the summer and Edwardsville, IL during the school year(it's a small college town about 15 min over the Mississippi River).

"Calm yourself, Doctor."

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 10:47:41 pm »
Yeah, we're not that hard to find. Though one of us moved... La'ra still visits however [he's just up the road even now, visiting famliy and was here just an hour before that...]. Maybe we'll arrange a meet sometime. Do you have Windows Live Messenger?

--thu guv!

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 10:53:39 pm »
Yeah, but I don't use it. I have an MSN messenger plugin on my Trillian, though, which is what Larry and I use to talk to each other most times.

"Calm yourself, Doctor."

Offline Scottish Andy

• First Officer of the Good Ship Kusanagi
  • Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 11:16:55 am »
I wouldn't mind joining that meet-up, though my travel arrangements may require a bit more in depth planning... ;)
Come visit me at:  www.Starbase23.net

The Senior Service rocks! Rule, Britannia!

The Doctor: "Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink."
Mickey: "Wot's that?"
The Doctor: "No idea. Just made it up. Didn't want to say 'Magic Door'."
- Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

Offline Governor Ronjar

• Lt.
  • 'None Farther...'
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2007, 03:26:17 pm »
Oh, c'mon! Canadialand can't be that far away, right? Isn't it just south of Mexico? :D

--guv!

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2009, 12:56:55 am »
Bumpity bump.

Offline Andromeda

• Queen of Amber
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Absolute Destiny!
    • Andromeda's Invasion
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2009, 10:23:15 am »
I love little gems like this.  Thanks.
this sig was eaten by a grue

Offline Commander La'ra

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2009, 11:06:06 pm »
You are most welcome.